Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: The "We Still Need a Dman" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
not going to lie as a rangers fan when that trade happened hearing we could of had J hayes fans weren't happy. but i felt it was something he owed the oilers. hope cams playing well dude deserved to be a starter
Talbot has been a dream.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
not going to lie as a rangers fan when that trade happened hearing we could of had J hayes fans weren't happy. but i felt it was something he owed the oilers. hope cams playing well dude deserved to be a starter

The Richards tweet doesn't really explain it. Was Hayes involved in the potential deal with Florida?

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Meh, screams Nikitin 2.0

How in the world is a guy who's been a solid top 4 D for nearly a decade comparable to Nikitin who's only had one good season? Maybe Tytuin's no longer effective but he was a good player when Columbus was in the West.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
How in the world is a guy who's been a solid top 4 D for nearly a decade comparable to Nikitin who's only had one good season? Maybe Tytuin's no longer effective but he was a good player when Columbus was in the West.

I'm guessing it's the "no longer effective" part.
And he has a point.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Nikitin for Tyutin? :handclap:

4.5 for 2 more yrs on Tyutin...still only 32 yrs old tho..TOI has declined yr over yr....I haven't watch CLB much ...don't know if there is much reward to that risk...Ference and Fayne for Tyutin and Cambell or Boll?? Personally I think we should keep the cap space and see what shakes loose at the deadline and offseason..Tyutin might make us better but where does that 4.5 cap fit in for the next couple season on this blueline

Sekera-Nurse
Klefbom-Schultz
Reinhart/Davidson-Gryba
Ference-Fayne

Last edited:

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Forgot the team that has won 3 cups in the last 6 years. Convenient
Kane Toews
The Blackhawks have done all they've accomplished with an assortment of subpar to mediocre second line centermen.

And Hall can't be replaced. Not by anyone in the organization at least. Not now, and there's no one in the organization who projects to be able to replace him in any way.

Draisaitl might be years away from ready to take Nuge's spot. But he at least somewhat projects to be a top 6 center. We've got zilch at LW. There's a direct succession for Nuge.

Not that we should trade Nuge either.

Chicago had the best defense as well. Having a Duncan Keith Oduya and a Seabrook is something Edmonton will likely never have.

While Kane and Toews are solid theyve always had an excellent #2 2 way centre as well in all those cup victories.

Its easier to trade Hall for a stand out dman and follow the Pittsburgh or Boston model then to try and copy Chicago.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
The Richards tweet doesn't really explain it. Was Hayes involved in the potential deal with Florida?

I assume it meant Jimmy Hayes from Florida going to NYR for Talbot..

Florida traded Hayes to Boston after.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I assume it meant Jimmy Hayes from Florida going to NYR for Talbot..

Florida traded Hayes to Boston after.

Yes, we can assume it. It just doesn't outright say it, and I hate reading into these things. The tweet on its own could also just be using Hayes a time frame. It just says they had a deal.

I'm just curious if there are other sources that clarify this.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Nikitin for Tyutin? :handclap:

Nikitin >> Tyutin, and that's one ">" for every extra year of Tyutin's contract compared to Nikitin.

He's not the Dman we want. If we're going D hunting it shouldn't be for a middle pairing type guy, and definitely not a middle pairing guy in Columbus' garbage pile.

Just let Nikitin finish his contract and we can take the cap space into next offseason

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Chicago had the best defense as well. Having a Duncan Keith Oduya and a Seabrook is something Edmonton will likely never have.

While Kane and Toews are solid theyve always had an excellent #2 2 way centre as well in all those cup victories.

Its easier to trade Hall for a stand out dman and follow the Pittsburgh or Boston model then to try and copy Chicago.

Chicago's 2nd line centermen for their cup wins were: Bolland, Handzus and Brad Richards. All were 30-40 point players at the time of their wins. None of those players were excellent second line centers at the time.

Your argument was that Hall is easier to replace than Nuge and that you need two elite centermen to win. A) Chicago has proven that's false B) It's in no way easier to replace Hall than it is to replace Nuge. Hall's a proven top 10 point producer in the league and we don't have a single prospect or player in the organization who can step in to fill his shoes short term or long term. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins on the other hand is a proven 55 point two-way center and we've got a hypothetical replacement in Draisaitl already in the organization.

Both of your arguments are wrong.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I also take issue with the idea that Johnny ****ing Oduya is a luxury the Oilers will never have.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Draisaitl's too far away from Hopkins to even think about moving Hopkins. It's going to be few years before Draisaitl can bring what RNH brings as a centre.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Chiarelli may target Lindholm anyways. Anaheim is in desperate need of scoring help.

On a semi-related note Cam Fowler is really struggling so far this year.

It would be interesting to see if Chiarelli could pry Fowler for less than normal value.

This has been what I've been thinking the last few days. I can't for the life of me think of what Anaheim would want that we have. Obviously our 1st overalls and Draisaitl wouldn't be worth it. I don't think he trades Pouliot as trading him creates another hole and he's a Chiarelli-type of player.

Would they want Nurse? Would Chiarelli trade him? I don't think he would. But after that, what assets would we have to get Fowler? A 1st?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'm also still in want of Buff. I don't think he will work miracles for us but we need a scoring d and we need size in the top 4 to counter the opponents forecheck. Buff is both of those things in one.

I'm also still on the trade hall wagon.....just hypothetically....

Hall for Lindholm and Ritchie.
1st for Buff
Fayne for a 2nd.

Draisaitl - Nugent Hopkins - Eberle
Pouliot - McDavid - Yakupov
Korpikoski - Lander - Pakarinen
Hendricks - Letestu - Gazdic
Klinkhammer

Lindholm-Byfuglien
Klefbom-Sekera
Reinhart/Nurse-Schultz
Gryba, Davidson

Talbot/Nilsson

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Hjalmarsson you mean, right? :shakehead

Bangers

May 31, 2006
If we're going after a veteran defenceman, I want one that is a model pro, not one who succeeds based purely on physical ability.

Buffalo would be the Oilers' best defenceman, but is he really someone you want mentoring Nurse, Reinhart, Klefbom et al?

And do you want to give him a fat, long-term contract when he's already in his 30s when he's already shown to have motivation issues?

As bad as the team needs a D, he's one I'd pass on.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
If we're going after a veteran defenceman, I want one that is a model pro, not one who succeeds based purely on physical ability.

Buffalo would be the Oilers' best defenceman, but is he really someone you want mentoring Nurse, Reinhart, Klefbom et al?

And do you want to give him a fat, long-term contract when he's already in his 30s when he's already shown to have motivation issues?

As bad as the team needs a D, he's one I'd pass on.

Yikes. I'd take the defenseman who has more points than probably our entire defense combined when he was lacking "motivation". And throws people around like rag rolls.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Hey Garth Snow I offer you a top six forward for one of your 4th liners.

Purcell and Gazdic

For

Matt Martin.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Hey Garth Snow I offer you a top six forward for one of your 4th liners.

Purcell and Gazdic

For

Matt Martin.

Matt Martin is one of the best 4th liners in the league and actually gives them some use. Meanwhile, Purcell is a useless, soft, can't play in top 6, not gritty enough to play in bottom 6 guy. Not to mention, the Islanders top 3 lines look like this:

Lee - Tavares - Bailey
Kulemin - Nielson - Okposo
Nelson - Grabovski - Strome

Where does Purcell go?

Bad proposal.

Ranfordrocks

Feb 16, 2007
would you guys do this trade

purcell

for either sam gagner or david perron?

after season over all contracts are up

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
would you guys do this trade

purcell

for either sam gagner or david perron?

after season over all contracts are up

I would never ever want to see Gagner ever ever again in an Oilers Jersey. You can only watch a guy lose every single puck battle he got into for so many games in a row before wanting him gone permanently. Stats wise he actually looks like he is doing well in Philly but I also know he has already been a healthy scratch. Look up the word streaky in the dictionary and you will see Sam Gagners picture. For every game he plays well in he has at least one to match where he looks like pure garbage.

I like a lot of what Perron brings over Purcell but unlike most on these boards I see a level of consistency combined with a full set of NHL level abilities (size, passing, shooting, defensive awareness) that Perron simply does not have. Plus Perron is a bit injury/concussion prone.

I see Purcell as a top 9 forward that, barring team injuries, should be on the third line. He doesn't use his size effectively but him having that size certainly makes a difference on our relatively small group of forwards.

If Purcell was only making 1-2 mill and we didn't desperately need a more physical presence, I wouldn't mind him on our team at all.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
Purcell is worse than Gagner. But we don't need to bring him or perron back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad