Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: The "We Still Need a Dman" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Continue

Chara 3 points in 3 games playing the most minutes of any Boston d-man at 23:56. He might not be the talent he was a few years ago, but he's still a damn good NHL d-man that can play top pairing.

Even an 'over the hill' Chara is the Oiler's best D-man, and he adds size, toughness and much-needed experience.

I've always thought the Oil needed a Brian Campbell or Dan Boyle type veteran mentor to help Schultz, Nurse and/or Reinhart. The only one they've been able to acquire has been Ference, and he has never been a no. 1 anywhere in his career.

The only downside is his contract, but Nurse and Reinhart will be on cheap deals for a few years yet, Ference can be bought out, and Fayne could be moved.

Chara's contract really isn't that bad. The last year is only cap hit of 4mil. If he's playing 22+ a minutes a night is 6.9mil really that bad for this year and next?

2 more years after this one, I thought? But yeah, the team really only needs the cap space when McDavid's ELC is up, which would be at the same time.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd do Chara for Fayne straight across, take it or leave it, no 1st. We are doing them a large favor by taking the contract off their hands.

Speaking of a "Dan Boyle type", isn't Dan Boyle himself available? lol.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Chara's cap is $6.9M which means we need to move out Nikitin and/or Scrivens to free up space.

I don't think we are in a position of strength this year to make such trades.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
In lieu of Chara, I would really rather keep our assets and salary cap powder dry until Nikitin comes off the books, Ference gets traded/bought out and the offseason rolls around to open up some more FA/trade options (eg Buff).

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The only way I ever see Chara moved is if he shows that there's still something left in the tank this season but his team's still out of it by March 1st. A healthy Chara would be a huge asset to a playoff bound team, even with a ton of cap still owed at the tail end of it.

But for a team in our position to make that type of move would be beyond idiotic. It's widely known that Chiarelli's cap management was his downfall in Boston and the first thing we're talking about is adding more cap for players we're not even sure can play anymore.

Realistically Chiarelli should be looking for more Reinhart type trades and looking to avoid big ticket players untill he sees where this team is at after a significant portion of the season is completed.

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008
In lieu of Chara, I would really rather keep our assets and salary cap powder dry until Nikitin comes off the books, Ference gets traded/bought out and the offseason rolls around to open up some more FA/trade options (eg Buff).

Agreed. Chances are no major player moves happen until close to the deadline, if at all. PC will give this group some time so he can see exactly what we have. If we are banging on the door of a playoff spot come trade deadline, I'd be fine with adding a guy like Chara. Hell, I'd like him right now but we have to think long term.

He would instantly give us a proven leader, eat up minutes even if he's at the tail end of his career. Lets face it, he would be the best dman we've had in a very long time.

I suspect though that we will see big changes coming into the draft. Gives PC time to see exactly what this team is made of, other teams may want to make changes after another season, and we will have draft picks to peddle. At least I hope so anyways. The time for accumulating draft picks is over, we need to augment our core with reliable vets in the right places to take the next step.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I would like to look at Murphy in Carolina. If you could land him for a 2nd + prospect + Davidson would you do it?

Schultz clone but a puck moving RHD with upside

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
To go back to the other thread. I meant that it's only two years of 6.9mil and then that last year apparently goes down to a 4mil cap hit because of the new over 40 rule.

So it would only be this year and next year that you really have to work about that big cap hit

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I would like to look at Murphy in Carolina. If you could land him for a 2nd + prospect + Davidson would you do it?

Schultz clone but a puck moving RHD with upside

I prefer we look for d-men that are proven at this point. We have Schultz, Nurse, Reinhart and Klefbom all trying to find their way. Don't think we really need another at this point.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Detroit have some decent depth on defence.

Outside of Dekeyser, Kronwall and Green, all three I would imagine are gonna have a hefty price (Dekeyser is the only one of interest) are the rest really an upgrade on what we have? Quincey, Kindl, Ericsson?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I'd do Chara for Fayne straight across, take it or leave it, no 1st. We are doing them a large favor by taking the contract off their hands.

Speaking of a "Dan Boyle type", isn't Dan Boyle himself available? lol.

No first, but I'd do Fayne, Second, and some weaker prospect. Chase?

Or Fayne, First, and Nikitin. They take more of our cap if they want that first.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Lots of good young defencemen to offersheet this summer. Merril, Barrie, Dekeyser, Risto, Jones, Trouba just to name a few. Granted, not all of them will make it there, but this definitely could be something to look at this summer, assuming we give up our 2nd this year to Boston and not our 2017 2nd.

http://www.generalfanager.com/freeagents?expiryyear=2016&position=D&shoots=Both&team=all&RFA=1

I'd say almost none will make it there. They very, very rarely do. The only one I see maybe making it of your list is Dekeyser.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Winnipeg has a surplus of RHD, Oilers have potential surplus of centers. Maybe Drasaitl+some addition for Trouba?

Nurse-Trouba
Klefbom-Schultz
Sekera-Reinhart

Im liking that

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Winnipeg has a surplus of RHD, Oilers have potential surplus of centers. Maybe Drasaitl+some addition for Trouba?

Nurse-Trouba
Klefbom-Schultz
Sekera-Reinhart

Im liking that

No way they're trading Trouba, haha. He's more or less anointed their future #1, potentially captain.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

Nurse-Trouba
Klefbom-Schultz
Sekera-Reinhart

Im liking that
I think they'd opt to keep Trouba and build around him.

But yea, that would be great.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
I think Buff will be the one to be traded. I don't think the Jets can afford to let Buff walk without getting anything in return. I also think any team willing to pay the price for him (he won't be cheap in season) will re-sign him. So I doubt he makes it to free agency.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
No way they're trading Trouba, haha. He's more or less anointed their future #1, potentially captain.

Same thing was said abotu Hamilton in Boston. If Jets could land a potential elite #1C they might do it

Buff is most expendable but also returns the least.

Id kill for big Buff too

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Same thing was said abotu Hamilton in Boston. If Jets could land a potential elite #1C they might do it

Buff is most expendable but also returns the least.

Id kill for big Buff too

True! But I think hoping for a second organization to lose it's mind in a year is a bit much. Especially one not facing cap issues like Boston was and currently very well run as far as I can tell.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's hard to picture a team in the NHL that has a glut of good defensemen for sale. You don't usually see them traded during the season, especially this early.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Also, I do wonder if Dubinsky can be had from CBJ(one HFOil poster is going to be happy :laugh:). Their cap situation is poor and a lot of it is tied into the wings.

Between Saad ($6M), Hartnell ($4.75M), Clarkson ($5.25M) and Foligno ($5.5M), they've tied up $21.5M in cap space. That's not accounting for guys like Dubinsky ($5.85M) who is probably more effective on the wing and Atkinson ($3.5M) who is their 3rd line RWer. Matt Calvert ($2.5M) is their 3rd line LW too.

Add in the fact that 2 of their top paid D are either declining rapidly (Tyutin) or distracted/not effective (JJ) and essentially something has to give if they want to fix their D. Not only that, but they have to pay Ryan Murray, Boone Jenner, William Karlsson and Dalton Prout this summer as RFAs.

Something has to give eventually.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I don't mean to harp on buff and I may need to mul it over a bit.

He is a great dman but I see him signing in minnesota. Also, why is Winnipeg trading him anyway if they are pushing for the playoffs?

People say he's avail just not sure if that's tru deau.

;)

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland

this, after watching the farm team for the jets here in St.john's. Trouba is the only real young guy the jets have (outside of Morrisey). With Stuart, Pardy, Enstrom and Clitsome (if he plays this year) being all at the age of 30. Buff being shipped out or leaving in F/A. No shot that they trade Trouba.

What about Klien from NYC? Gunnarson from STL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad