Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: The "We Still Need a Dman" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I was talking to my roommate about this the other day.. Ellis is exactly what we need. I don't know tha I'd consider him a 1-2 guy but he would be a huge improvement to our blue line and power play. If we could get him and get burns or buff in the offseason that would be amazing!

I have zero problem getting onboard with going for Ellis and while he definitely demonstrated the skillset of being a solid powerplay contributor in junior his powerplay point totals in the NHL are not impressive by any means (worse numbers then Justin Schultz). He could still grow into that role, but he's not quite the plug and play fix that Wideman, Buff, or Burns would be to our powerplay.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
the premise is: IF we are going to part with a key piece to upgrade the D, which one is it? I was positing that Hall might be the one because it is quite conceivable that he has 5 or 6 top calibre years left. Its just one position.

I'm not even sure if trading a key piece is the way to go. There is sound logic in just waiting this out; unfortunately it might mean wasting this season when the team is actually quite close to competing for a playoff spot.

as for Crosby, I think he's years of being a notch above the rest are over. I could be wrong, but that is what I think.

I don't think so. This team is still gonna be about 10-15 pts out of a playoff spot. Especially when you consider there is a good possibility the Central takes both wildcards.

Reallistically and ironically the best course of action right now is to wait it out. We've dealt with a rough start against good teams all while adjusting to a new system, and dealing with injuries. We really need a 25-30 game sample size to see where the team is at when healthy and with ample time to get our game where it needs to be to compete on a nightly basis.

There is no question we need another experienced top 4D or two (top pairing preferably) but who is trading an impact player like that from their roster this early in the season? And even if someone was they would smell the stink of desperation through the phone and look to put us over a barrel. Best to wait for a more advantageous opportunity like the trade deadline or even at the draft when our 1st will hold the most value and some teams may be looking to unload guys cause they know they have key free agents to sign and will have cap problems.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I don't think so. This team is still gonna be about 10-15 pts out of a playoff spot. Especially when you consider there is a good possibility the Central takes both wildcards.

Reallistically and ironically the best course of action right now is to wait it out. We've dealt with a rough start against good teams all while adjusting to a new system, and dealing with injuries. We really need a 25-30 game sample size to see where the team is at when healthy and with ample time to get our game where it needs to be to compete on a nightly basis.

There is no question we need another experienced top 4D or two (top pairing preferably) but who is trading an impact player like that from their roster this early in the season? And even if someone was they would smell the stink of desperation through the phone and look to put us over a barrel. Best to wait for a more advantageous opportunity like the trade deadline or even at the draft when our 1st will hold the most value and some teams may be looking to unload guys cause they know they have key free agents to sign and will have cap problems.

as is, agreed. but one or two savvy moves and they can be right there, especially when you consider the Pacific division; with Calgary coming back to Earth and Anaheim s---ing the bed, 3rd place is possible.

that's what makes it so tough. trade a good player to push this year, or wait 1 year and be even better. At least its looking more an more like the wait will be this season at the most.

For the first time in this long rebuild, we can see that the end product is not that far away. For this reason, I think Chia will wait.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
I have zero problem getting onboard with going for Ellis and while he definitely demonstrated the skillset of being a solid powerplay contributor in junior his powerplay point totals in the NHL are not impressive by any means (worse numbers then Justin Schultz). He could still grow into that role, but he's not quite the plug and play fix that Wideman, Buff, or Burns would be to our powerplay.

We do not need a Ellis type defensemen. Small, not physical, cannot knock opposition down...........cannot check and take guys out of the play..........we already have enough of those types on this team (Justin Schulz).

The first period was like the Minnesota game where the Oilers do not check and play tough and knock guys down in the defensive zone.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Hall is better than Nuge, however Nuge is more important than Hall.

Zetterberg Datsyuk
Crosby Malkin
Bergeron Krejci

Their wingers are above average. You need 2 centres to run your offense.

Hall can be replaced - its years until Drai is ready to take Nuge's spot.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Zetterberg Datsyuk
Crosby Malkin
Bergeron Krejci

And Lander's regression has stung. It means we need Leon badly in the future.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Zetterberg Datsyuk
Crosby Malkin
Bergeron Krejci

I love Nuge, but Hall is a play driver. I don't think either one get moved to be honest.

Hall-RNH
McDavid-Yakupov

That's our top 6 pairs for the next 5 years. I think one of Eberle or Draisaitl is traded for back end help.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I love Nuge, but Hall is a play driver. I don't think either one get moved to be honest.

Hall-RNH
McDavid-Yakupov

That's our top 6 pairs for the next 5 years. I think one of Eberle or Draisaitl is traded for back end help.

I still think the potential for Drai to claim Nuge's spot is there, especially since there is no question that Nuge has much more value in a trade to get a #1D. It really hinges on whether or not we see ConYak getting the tough minutes by the end of the year, I think. If Connor shows he can handle Nuge's defensive loads, I expect Chia to go for it with a Nuge trade (who I think is our most valuable piece to trade at this point).

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Zetterberg Datsyuk
Crosby Malkin
Bergeron Krejci

Forgot the team that has won 3 cups in the last 6 years. Convenient
Kane Toews
The Blackhawks have done all they've accomplished with an assortment of subpar to mediocre second line centermen.

And Hall can't be replaced. Not by anyone in the organization at least. Not now, and there's no one in the organization who projects to be able to replace him in any way.

Draisaitl might be years away from ready to take Nuge's spot. But he at least somewhat projects to be a top 6 center. We've got zilch at LW. There's a direct succession for Nuge.

Not that we should trade Nuge either.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Fayne doesn't make it to Christmas here. His EV has steadily gone down since the start of the season, and yesterday even with Schultz out, Davidson and Nurse had more EV TOI last night against Montreal.

Before Hall or Nuge or Drai, we're gonna upgrade the vets. I bet Fayne is the first one to go.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Ellis over Ference. Burns/Buff over Fayne. We should be ready for the playoffs. Given the circumstances in Winnipeg, SJ and Nashville after the playoffs. It's not impossible to acquire those guys and still keep our core players.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We need a bomb on the PP.

Whose avail?

Ryan Ellis would be nice...

We have guys with shots we just need to use them. Adding another young offesnive d-man isn't really the answer. At his salary it would take quite an overpayment to get him.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Ya Lander has been a big disappointment so far.

I think we were all hoping the last half of last season and this pre-season were the real Lander...and that he wouldn't regress back to his play early in his NHL days where he was basically a non-factor in most games.

Getting that 3rd line going (which Lander is a major part of obviously) is absolutely critical for this team... as McDavid's line can't do it all every game... and the Hall-RNH-XXX line hasn't really been consistently good either.

Still early though... but if Lander has zero offense again this season... they need to get someone in there who can generate something. His wingers haven't been great either obviously (especially Purcell who is close to useless at both ends of the ice).

Lander has been good in the faceoff circle which has been one positive at least.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm not a big Davidson fan, but one asset he does have is a bomb of a shot. Try him out there.

Yeah why not. I would have Nurse work on his slapper every day after practice for a good 20-30 minutes too. Reinhart and Klefbom have decent point shots too to be honest. We just need someone to really take their shot to that next level.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Ya Lander has been a big disappointment so far.

I think we were all hoping the last half of last season and this pre-season were the real Lander...and that he wouldn't regress back to his play early in his NHL days where he was basically a non-factor in most games.

Getting that 3rd line going (which Lander is a major part of obviously) is absolutely critical for this team... as McDavid's line can't do it all every game... and the Hall-RNH-XXX line hasn't really been consistently good either.

Still early though... but if Lander has zero offense again this season... they need to get someone in there who can generate something. His wingers haven't been great either obviously (especially Purcell who is close to useless at both ends of the ice).

Lander has been good in the faceoff circle which has been one positive at least.

Lander looking more like Gordon out there. Granted, a better puck handling Gordon.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Lander looking more like Gordon out there. Granted, a better puck handling Gordon.

That's unfair to Gordon. Lander's made several mistakes this season that have led directly to goals. Gordon didn't make flashy plays, but he rarely made defensive gaffs that cost the team goals.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Not sure which team is going to possibly take on Fayne and his contract. 3.625 million for 2 more seasons after this. Why would anyone do that? Oilers are stuck with him.

The Oilers are pretty much hooped in terms of roster flexibility right now. Purcell, Nikitin, and Scrivens all come off the books next season, so that's when Chiarelli can make a few more moves, but what you see is what you get with this team for the most part right now.

I don't see any team dumb enough to take Ference/Fayne and their contracts.

The team will have about 11 million dollars in extra space to improve the back end next year just with those 3 players coming off of the books. If Schultz gets moved (could totally see it) then that's another 3.9 Gryba might not be back - another 1.3

So the Oilers will have a lot more options next season and Fayne can then sit in the pressbox as dead salary at that point I guess.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Not sure which team is going to possibly take on Fayne and his contract. 3.625 million for 2 more seasons after this. Why would anyone do that? Oilers are stuck with him.

The Oilers are pretty much hooped in terms of roster flexibility right now. Purcell, Nikitin, and Scrivens all come off the books next season, so that's when Chiarelli can make a few more moves, but what you see is what you get with this team for the most part right now.

I don't see any team dumb enough to take Ference/Fayne and their contracts.

The team will have about 11 million dollars in extra space to improve the back end next year just with those 3 players coming off of the books. If Schultz gets moved (could totally see it) then that's another 3.9 Gryba might not be back - another 1.3

So the Oilers will have a lot more options next season and Fayne can then sit in the pressbox as dead salary at that point I guess.

Our only choice is to healthy scratch him a few games and let him play his way back up. Let him rebuild his value and then ship him off for an upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad