Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals: Part XXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
You can't go wrong with just staying put. Exposing out young players to the NHL will pay dividends down the road like it did with Condra, Karlsson, Greening etc. It gives more time for assets to raise their stock by going from prospects to young NHLers. Gives us more information to go on as well to address needs and strengths.

I'm all for a move to make us better now and in the future but it has to be the right player and the right circumstances like Turris.

What I expect Murray to do this summer is exploit our cap situation. We can afford to go after a Perry and make deals with cap strapped teams. I want to see us swing a deal like Atlanta did with Chicago for Ladd and Buff; like Vancouver did with San Jose for Ehrhoff.

New York, San Jose, Philadelphia, Vancouver, Chicago and possibly Minnesota will need relief. We could potentially pick up players like Luke Schenn, Nik Grossman, Scott Hatnell, Wayne Simmonds, Chris Tanev, Alex Burrows, Derek Stepan, Carl Hagelin, Marc Staal, Patrick Marleau etc for under market value asset-wise since these teams can't realistically keep everyone with the cap coming down.

Assuming Murray could use primarily long term prospects and cap space to acquire a top 4 D and a quality top 6 player along with reasonable progression from a few of our young players we could be a Cup contending team and the 3 year rebuil would be complete. The primary core is in place, now it's up to management to get the proper complementary players. It'll be a lot easier in the offseason.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Elliot has been terrible this year.
Don't worry, I'm completely aware of that.

That doesn't mean that the Blues are going to freak out. It means that instead of the Blues having a 1-2 punch where Halak gets 60% and Elliott gets 40%, it probably becomes 75%-25%, even though Halak hasn't been that great. At the very worse scenario, Elliott will be replaced with Allen. St. Louis isn't going to subtract anyone from their Stanley Cup quality roster to add another backup goalie.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
You can't go wrong with just staying put. Exposing out young players to the NHL will pay dividends down the road like it did with Condra, Karlsson, Greening etc. It gives more time for assets to raise their stock by going from prospects to young NHLers. Gives us more information to go on as well to address needs and strengths.

I'm all for a move to make us better now and in the future but it has to be the right player and the right circumstances like Turris.

What I expect Murray to do this summer is exploit our cap situation. We can afford to go after a Perry and make deals with cap strapped teams. I want to see us swing a deal like Atlanta did with Chicago for Ladd and Buff; like Vancouver did with San Jose for Ehrhoff.

New York, San Jose, Philadelphia, Vancouver, Chicago and possibly Minnesota will need relief. We could potentially pick up players like Luke Schenn, Nik Grossman, Scott Hatnell, Wayne Simmonds, Chris Tanev, Alex Burrows, Derek Stepan, Carl Hagelin, Marc Staal, Patrick Marleau etc for under market value asset-wise since these teams can't realistically keep everyone with the cap coming down.

Assuming Murray could use primarily long term prospects and cap space to acquire a top 4 D and a quality top 6 player along with reasonable progression from a few of our young players we could be a Cup contending team and the 3 year rebuil would be complete. The primary core is in place, now it's up to management to get the proper complementary players. It'll be a lot easier in the offseason.
This, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this.

I've been saying this and I thought I was one of the only ones, but thank God I'm not. We're missing our best Forward and one of our best Defenceman for most of the year (all of it for Cowen). So, what should we do? Panic? Not at all.

Let's use this as an asset. In a shortened season, let's be a bit experimental. Use the Spezza injury as an opportunity to give Da Costa the chance that he probably wouldn't have got this year/EVER for the Ottawa Senators. See what he can create. Use it to give Hoffman and Stone looks when they return from their injuries. Use it to give Patty Wiercioch 17+ minutes a game.

CarknerCountry

Jun 20, 2010
This, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this.

I've been saying this and I thought I was one of the only ones, but thank God I'm not. We're missing our best Forward and one of our best Defenceman for most of the year (all of it for Cowen). So, what should we do? Panic? Not at all.

Let's use this as an asset. In a shortened season, let's be a bit experimental. Use the Spezza injury as an opportunity to give Da Costa the chance that he probably wouldn't have got this year/EVER for the Ottawa Senators. See what he can create. Use it to give Hoffman and Stone looks when they return from their injuries. Use it to give Patty Wiercioch 17+ minutes a game.

Seriously how can you judge a player when they are in and out of the lineup..Benoit will be in Tuesday Wier out..These two should be playing 17mins a night but wont be...Why Daug? Regin? PLEASE..
Sens brass no what they have...

General Granny*

No one is saying panic, I have been pushing for an Oreilly trade since he fits into what we are trying to do long term, hes still only 21.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
No one is saying panic, I have been pushing for an Oreilly trade since he fits into what we are trying to do long term, hes still only 21.

Question. I think anyone would be down for acquiring Ryan O Reilly. That said, are you a) willing to pay the required assets to land him and b) willing to pay him $5 000 000 a year.

Seriously how can you judge a player when they are in and out of the lineup..Benoit will be in Tuesday Wier out..These two should be playing 17mins a night but wont be...Why Daug? Regin? PLEASE..
Sens brass no what they have...

I honestly do not have the slightest clue as to what you are saying.

CarknerCountry

Jun 20, 2010
Honestly

Regin
Condra
Greening
Daug
Lundin
Benoit
Smith
Lats
O'Brien
Da Costa

Can you really win with these guys?

Silf
Zibby

Those two arent ready for top 6...But they are a big part of our future..

Philly
Alfie
Gonch

These three are aging.

So what most are saying here islets hope all our prospects turn out.
There comes a time where you have to make a bold trade..Because frankly come UFA sens are never players..Ok we got a older Gonchar big deal...

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
honestly

regin
condra
geening
daug
lundin
benoit
smith
lats
o'brien
da costa

can you really win with these guys?

Silf
zibby

those two arent ready for top 6...but they are a big part of our future..

Philly
alfie
gonch

these three are aging.

so what most are saying here islets give chances to prospects that might not have got the same opportunity on a completely healthy team. If we suck, we get a relatively high pick in a draft where the talent in the first 18 picks is better than usual. This gives us a better opportunity to determine the likelihood that certain prospects will in fact "pan out". Also, because it is a shortened season, if we suck, it's only ~35 games of suck. We don't have a sc quality team at the moment, especially considering spezza and cowen are injured. If you can make a trade, great, but make sure it's a trade that will benefit this team for at least 3 years down the road. None of this ufa rental with the risk of losing someone ********.

ftfy.

There comes a time where you have to make a bold trade..because frankly come ufa sens are never players..ok we got a older gonchar big deal...

:huh:

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Carter has a no trade clause. So the question is, do you think he would waive it to play with Spezza?

He lost his no trade clause. When you are traded your no trade clause is gone. Since he was traded from Philly to Columbus before it took effect it was negated, Columbus did not need to ask his permission to trade him to LA and LA doesn't need permission to trade him either.

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
I dont see any need to panic because we lost Spezza for 2 months. If the right opportunity comes along to get a good, young player to move forward with... Murray will act accordingly. He isnt going to sell the farm for a rental to save a shortened season that if we make the playoffs, our #1 C will return to play in...

If it makes sense for the next 2,3, or 5 years... Then do it. If its a bandaid for the next 5-6 weeks... No thanks.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
He lost his no trade clause. When you are traded your no trade clause is gone. Since he was traded from Philly to Columbus before it took effect it was negated, Columbus did not need to ask his permission to trade him to LA and LA doesn't need permission to trade him either.

Technically the other team can choose to honor the no trade clause keeping it intact IIRC, but not sure many teams ever employ that option.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I dont see any need to panic because we lost Spezza for 2 months. If the right opportunity comes along to get a good, young player to move forward with... Murray will act accordingly. He isnt going to sell the farm for a rental to save a shortened season that if we make the playoffs, our #1 C will return to play in...

If it makes sense for the next 2,3, or 5 years... Then do it. If its a bandaid for the next 5-6 weeks... No thanks.
Exactly.

And CC, it's not about "tanking" this season, it's about ensuring that nothing the Ottawa Senators do hurts their future in favour of a slight difference in the current one. If you can make a trade that helps the team now and won't hurt the team in the future, anyone would be in.

CarknerCountry

Jun 20, 2010
Neither did Toronto or Calgary. Do you envy them?

Nope but envy LA for doing it the right way with the draft and through trade..

Richards
Carter
Penner
Stoll

Senators have a **** load of prospects...Silf,Zibby,Stone,Ceci,Lehner amongst others...And players like Karlsson,Turris,Smith,Cowen,Bishop who are young..

But comes a point in time you have to make that deal...Not saying for a mid 30 type of player..But a Yandle or ROR or Perry players like that..

So lets wait how long? 3 4 years? Spezza will be nearing his mid 30's bad back and all Alfie will be long gone as will Philly and Gonch..

I hope for some in here all our prospects pan out...

Ottawa will never be free-agent players NEVER..

So try your best to get a Perry or a Yandle type player..

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010

So...give up way too much for Perry right now for a move that won't put the team over the top and watch him walk away at the end of the year? Those are the trades that kill teams for years.

Being a GM requires patience, not panic moves when your team isn't ready and you mortgage your future. This team is missing its #1 Centre and a key defenseman this season; to go out and make moves to quell the storm right now will have you end up with a Kessel situation or worse. No thank you.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
So lets wait how long? 3 4 years? Spezza will be nearing his mid 30's bad back and all Alfie will be long gone as will Philly and Gonch..

I hope for some in here all our prospects pan out...

Perry's contract is up at the end of the year. The Sens would probably have to give up at the very least something like Silfverberg/Zibanejad + Ceci + 2013 1st to get him and then he'll likely sign somewhere else for 2013-14. Phoenix will probably want even more for Yandle considering he's signed for 3 more seasons.

The thing is, say we give up a giant ransom for Yandle or trade for and extend Perry at $6.5 million per. What then? We'll be roughly back where we were in 07-08: a top-heavy, 6th-10th ranked team in the EC with a depleted prospect pool. I've seen that movie before and it sucks.

At some point you have to bite the bullet and put up with watching a bunch of kids develop. Plus they don't need literally all of the prospects to pan out. They need a couple of forwards who can put up some points in the top 6 and a couple of second pairing D-men. Given the state of the system right now there's a really good shot that we'll have those if the team just sits tight for a couple of years.

What you're impatiently whining for is basically equivalent to cashing in several years worth of RRSP money for a Sea-Doo because you're afraid you might be bored for a summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad