HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I would keep Duchene over stone
Keep the number 1 center

Both probably get done if we have an ok season

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Both Stone and Duchene are dealt at the deadline imo. Just too much going against us on this one

-we need to offer the two largest contracts in Senators history at a time of low attendance from fan revolt. We haven't signed a long term significant financial commitment since Bobby Ryan, hard to believe we will fork out two even richer contracts
-team needs to not bottom out so much they want to leave regardless of the offer
-one is possibly dependent on the other also staying
-Stone contract signing moratorium til 2019
-UFA temptation. While not Tavares, the chance of a crazy bonus heavy contract could be there for the next two best youngish players to hit ufa in a long time
-chance to go to an organization commited to winning, with the resources and decision makers to back it up

If it was really going to happen, i think there would have been more traction on it by now. Instead we got Duchene saying no negotiations had started yet and Stone signed a one year deal to avoid an arbitration hearing.

Dzingel probably gets dealt too, but I'd be less surprised if he stays. He's a tough one. If he kills it this year, he probably prices us out. If he doesn't do well, we won't be as excited to pay him big money long term.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Keep the number 1 center

It's a hard one.

Stone is the better player and better playmaker that seems to make others around him better as well.

Duchene is more of a do it all by himself type of player, he's harder to find linemates to gel with and even though he's a center he really doesn't play like a conventional center. In fact I'd argue Stone plays more like a C than Duchene.

On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised to see Duchene being better longer since he's very fast and agile with good puck protection skills. Stone on the other hands relies a lot on his vision and making effective plays yet is not a great skater. I personally think Stone will be very good for a long time even if his skating isn't as good as Duchene but it's a risk.

If I had to keep one I think it would be Stone. He's the leader of the team, heart and soul, has been here for a while and just makes others around him better. Hopefully we get to keep both but just looking at Duchene's comment about leaving the Avs to make the playoffs is making me very skeptical that we'll get something done. (I mean Stone signing 1 year isn't encouraging either)

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
We shouldn't be talking about having to pick between Stone and Duchene since we desperately need both, but how in the world can you make a case for Duchene over Stone?

Stone is pound for pound the exact kind of player you build around. Give your heads a shake.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Keep the number 1 center

Is Duchene a #1 center though or is a he a defacto #1 here because we have no other options? Personally, I don't think he has the quality to be a #1 on a good team.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I still expect us to re-sign Stone.

But Duchene could realistically get us a 1st+B+ Quality prospect. Granted that first will realistically be somewhere between 20 and 30. A first is a first

After trading so much to get Duchene if he is traded the next person to go should be Dorion.

Reactions: Gesus

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Duchene over stone? im sorry, I cant support this

Considering that I have a gut feeling that neither of them will be here as of next season's training camp, if you told me we'd somehow be able to retain either one of them, I'd take it.

The caveat is that Stone will probably be the easier of the two to keep, though they both are longshots to stay, IMO. At least Stone talks the talk about wanting to stay - the question is whether he walks the walk as well. I have almost no hope whatsoever that Duchene sticks it out here.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Is Duchene a #1 center though or is a he a defacto #1 here because we have no other options? Personally, I don't think he has the quality to be a #1 on a good team.

Depends on the definition of #1 center.

Is he one of the best 31 centers in the NHL? Probably. But he's not a franchise player.

He's probably the third best C we've had in franchise history behind Yashin and Spezza. A team like MTL would have killed for a C of Duchene's calibre for the last decade+. If we don't get lucky with the draft lottery or Logan Brown's development, we will be in that same boat if we trade Duchene.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Depends on the definition of #1 center.

Is he one of the best 31 centers in the NHL? Probably. But he's not a franchise player.

He's probably the third best C we've had in franchise history behind Yashin and Spezza. A team like MTL would have killed for a C of Duchene's calibre for the last decade+. If we don't get lucky with the draft lottery or Logan Brown's development, we will be in that same boat if we trade Duchene.
He's gonna be 28 in January though and owed a ton of money. If he loses a step in his 30s he will a far less effective player. Could totally see him becoming the next Bobby Ryan here. I think we gotta trade him. He'll be in his mid 30s by the time the team will be able to compete.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Let me preface this by saying that I love Mark Stone. I own a Mark Stone jersey.

That being said, when this guy disappears, he DISAPPEARS. I'm not sure I've ever seen a star player look worse than Stone does on an off night.

Would I love to see the team sign him? Sure. Am I worried as heck about a long term deal for a guy with skating issues, injury issues and the ability to just become a ghost for a few games? Yeah, I honestly am.

I know this will get some hate, because the guy is one of the (very few) bright spots on the team right now, but watching him the other night I can't help but think making this guy the highest paid player in Senators history COULD backfire tremendously.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
He's gonna be 28 in January though and owed a ton of money. If he loses a step in his 30s he will a far less effective player.

OK, you're not wrong here, but this statement also applies to literally every top-line 28 year old player in the league.

If we start applying this across the board, we're never going to have any top-line players over 28 ever again.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Let me preface this by saying that I love Mark Stone. I own a Mark Stone jersey.

That being said, when this guy disappears, he DISAPPEARS. I'm not sure I've ever seen a star player look worse than Stone does on an off night.

Would I love to see the team sign him? Sure. Am I worried as heck about a long term deal for a guy with skating issues, injury issues and the ability to just become a ghost for a few games? Yeah, I honestly am.

I know this will get some hate, because the guy is one of the (very few) bright spots on the team right now, but watching him the other night I can't help but think making this guy the highest paid player in Senators history COULD backfire tremendously.

True. At least when Duchene disappears, he looks like his squirrely, weasel self, trying to evade defenders for a shift or two.

Stone? You can hear the foghorn of a ship, and he is gliding along. And I, as you , have a Stone jersey, the only jersey I have ever bought :laugh:

Reactions: stempniaksen

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He's gonna be 28 in January though and owed a ton of money. If he loses a step in his 30s he will a far less effective player. Could totally see him becoming the next Bobby Ryan here. I think we gotta trade him. He'll be in his mid 30s by the time the team will be able to compete.

I think within the parameters our team operates under that trading both for futures is the most effective move. Otherwise, we're going to have issues.coat controlling Chabot, Tkachuk, and whoever else breaks out on 6-8 year post ELC contracts because we'll have 30M tied up in Stone, Duchene, and PhaRyrcarthurik.

I wouldn't necessarily feel the same way if we were a cap ceiling team.

I also don't think we'll be truly competitive for the rest of both of their primes, so there's not much to gain by keeping them.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think within the parameters our team operates under that trading both for futures is the most effective move. Otherwise, we're going to have issues.coat controlling Chabot, Tkachuk, and whoever else breaks out on 6-8 year post ELC contracts because we'll have 30M tied up in Stone, Duchene, and PhaRyrcarthurik.

I wouldn't necessarily feel the same way if we were a cap ceiling team.

I also don't think we'll be truly competitive for the rest of both of their primes, so there's not much to gain by keeping them.
I'm also assuming we're not a ceiling team. Gotta be very picky with who we sign to big deals. I don't think Duchene is really special enough to unload the dump truck of cash for.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Just trade em all.

We could use more blue chip high end prospects and we aren't going to be a good team for years, so we really should just move them for the best return we can get.

Same goes for Dzingel & Ceci.

Reactions: JungleBeat

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I rarely agree with anything you post but on this one special occassion I'm going to. Duchene also reminds me of the Ryan situation whereby he comes here with a great deal of hype & really has not yet played great. It took him a while when he first got here before he started contributing & Duchene is off to another slow start to start the yr. He doesn't seem to be able to jell with anyone else & so far doesn't contribute enough consistently to wins for this team as of yet IMO. He's been a great player in name only based on his past with the occasional glimpses of what is possible from him but no consistency. If they could get a top 5 pick in the 2019 draft for Duchene I would trade him, IMO Brown is the future #1 centre for this team for the long term.

Stone on the other hand is this team's best player right now, rarely has a bad night, makes everyone around him better & when he isn't scoring he's still stealing pucks & setting other players up for shots on goal. He's good on & off the ice, has captain written all over him, says the right things & while his only weakness IMO is his skating he's worked quite hard since he has been here to improve that weakness. There are a lot more question marks surrounding Duchene that Stone & while I would like to sign both I would certainly take Stone over Duchene right now. I would however, try & sign Stone for 6 yrs or less & hope the team around him gets better so they can challenge for a cup before his contract ends. I imagine they could sign Dzingel & maybe Ceci first since their contracts should be a little easier than either Duchene or Stone. There are also a few other things I would do right now before attempting to sign those two.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Just trade em all.

We could use more blue chip high end prospects and we aren't going to be a good team for years, so we really should just move them for the best return we can get.

You make it seem like Dorion is capable of acquiring bluechippers from other teams. That doesn’t happen unfortunately.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Just trade em all.

I think Ottawa would be absolutely terrible at that point pretty much guaranteeing Col a top 5 pick when we could probably hang on a little longer, have a better record & just trade Duchene this yr & get a 1st rd pick for next season. I'm not sure we could even reach the floor at that point either.

Even if we were to sign both Dzingel & Ceci they are both still young enough & have enough value that we could get something for them even if they are signed to a longer term should we want to move them in a yr or two. Stone maybe be harder to move in a yr or two or he may still have some value if the team was good enough at that point to play without him & not lose a step. If not, we would be stuck with a bad contract, at this point we have at least 4 bad contracts on the books that will take another yr or two before they are done. Having one bad one may not be so bad.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Just trade em all.

Agreed. But Dorion is not a competent GM. We’ll trade them for peanuts.

Reactions: Gesus

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You make it seem like Dorion is capable of acquiring bluechippers from other teams. That doesn’t happen unfortunately.
I'm not confident either, but i still think its probably the best option. I dont see them staying either way, so im fully resinged to just getting the best we can. Between the 4 of them we should be able to get somerhing of value right?!?!

Reactions: Emerica

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think Ottawa would be absolutely terrible at that point pretty much guaranteeing Col a top 5 pick when we could probably hang on a little longer, have a better record & just trade Duchene this yr & get a 1st rd pick for next season. I'm not sure we could even reach the floor at that point either.

Even if we were to sign both Dzingel & Ceci they are both still young enough & have enough value that we could get something for them even if they are signed to a longer term should we want to move them in a yr or two. Stone maybe be harder to move in a yr or two or he may still have some value if the team was good enough at that point to play without him & not lose a step. If not, we would be stuck with a bad contract, at this point we have at least 4 bad contracts on the books that will take another yr or two before they are done. Having one bad one may not be so bad.
Eh, i dont think any move from here on out should be done to minimize the pick to Colorado. Dorion embarassed himself and he needs to just suck it up and make sure every move is for the future of the Sens. I think the plan all along was to bail on them and that they have plans to spend below the cap for salary and fluff it up with ltir. They will seek out a contract to help with that this summer imo.

Everything we do should be for years from now, we arent going to be good anytime soon, so thats why im leaning towards just blowing it up. Ceci and Dzingel are replaceable, not worried too much about them and id rather not sign Ceci long term anything. Stone and Duchene will hurt, but at least by not locking in to two massive 8 year deals, we will hopefully have the flexibility to lock up the new core in the future.

Burn it down. Get to the floor with one year vets that can be shed at the deadlines for the next couple years. Sacrifice and build for 2020 or later.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
If they could get a top 5 pick in the 2019 draft for Duchene I would trade him

You might be able to get a 2019 1st rd pick from 25-31 at the TDL, but no team is giving you a top 5 pick for Dutchy. He is a good #2 that is very inconsistent.

Teams drafting in the Top 5 are probably rebuilding and will keep those premier young players on their ELCs.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You might be able to get a 2019 1st rd pick from 25-31 at the TDL, but no team is giving you a top 5 pick for Dutchy. He is a good #2 that is very inconsistent.

Teams drafting in the Top 5 are probably rebuilding and will keep those premier young players on their ELCs.
Ottawa gave Col a top 5 pick for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad