Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't like to just pile on Dorion, but the man has literally done nothing to improve our roster other than make a statement that we will be greatly improved. It's as if he's just riding the hope train that last year was an anomaly and that we will turn it around. I don't see it.

I see one true top 4 dman, that may or may not be traded. We saw just how much losing Methot crushed us and it still has no potential solution.
I see two well paid goaltenders that were probably the worst combo in the league last year. The only one with potential to start is another year older at 37.
I see only 3 reliable, proven top 6 forwards in Duchene, Stone & Dzingel... all of which are pending UFA's. Other than that we're hoping that Ryan can stay healthy, Smith can recover some semblance of respectability, JGP can overachieve, and unproven youth like Tkatchuk, Brown, White, etc. can surprise us.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I am down to see if they pull it together.

That's part of the fun of watching other people play sports.
Hey its not impossible, shit can happen and teams come together. Its just that when you look at the depth chart, and the lack of any change from that train wreck we witnessed last year, it feels like we're relying on too many factors to go our way. The side effect of a poor season i'm worried about is that it could dictate what happens with our big 3(4 if you count Dzingel) and the media focus will be squarely on them as it is let alone if things go south.

I just thought we'd do something this summer, anything really, to try to improve or at least shuffle more of the roster, and it's dissapointing to just roll the same thing out there for the most part. Its not the end of the world, but i understand why the majority is so skeptical of our chances this year and down on the team in general.

Now the kicker is that the organization is still silent and leaving it up to the players to face all the tough questions, imo that's a mistake if it continues.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
So many useful FA’s left without contracts and we’ve signed 3 AHL’ers all summer long. Love it :facepalm:

Who though? There really isn't much.

Rick Nash - Contemplating Retirement
Vermette
Gionta
Gorges
Pouliot
Stajan
Stewart
Franson
Jurco
Letestu
Cammalleri
Fayne
Winnik
Emelin
Stafford
Davidson
Ward
Sbisa
Stoner

Emelin could be useful but we already have Boro that does the same job on the same side.

Gorges was useful once but not good anymore. Would be Oduya 2.0

Jurco and Winnik could be a bottom 6 option but we have a lot of guys battling for those spots already with Paajarvi, Pyatt, Paul, McCormick, Carey etc.

Other than that there really isn't much that would help.

Reactions: Benjamin

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Who though? There really isn't much.

Rick Nash - Contemplating Retirement
Vermette
Gionta
Gorges
Pouliot
Stajan
Stewart
Franson
Jurco
Letestu
Cammalleri
Fayne
Winnik
Emelin
Stafford
Davidson
Ward
Sbisa
Stoner

Emelin could be useful but we already have Boro that does the same job on the same side.

Gorges was useful once but not good anymore. Would be Oduya 2.0

Jurco and Winnik could be a bottom 6 option but we have a lot of guys battling for those spots already with Paajarvi, Pyatt, Paul, McCormick, Carey etc.

Other than that there really isn't much that would help.

Looks like a list of old has-beens seeking a cushy pre-retirement contract. We have not had great success with that strategy.

The 2 positions we really need to improve is GM and owner.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I don't like to just pile on Dorion, but the man has literally done nothing to improve our roster other than make a statement that we will be greatly improved. It's as if he's just riding the hope train that last year was an anomaly and that we will turn it around. I don't see it.

I see one true top 4 dman, that may or may not be traded. We saw just how much losing Methot crushed us and it still has no potential solution.
I see two well paid goaltenders that were probably the worst combo in the league last year. The only one with potential to start is another year older at 37.
I see only 3 reliable, proven top 6 forwards in Duchene, Stone & Dzingel... all of which are pending UFA's. Other than that we're hoping that Ryan can stay healthy, Smith can recover some semblance of respectability, JGP can overachieve, and unproven youth like Tkatchuk, Brown, White, etc. can surprise us.

To his defence this has largely been the strategy for many years pre-dating him as GM, whether it was by design or necessity is a whole other argument. We have banked on things going are way for seemingly a decade now, where all vets need to magically improve and contribute more whilst unproven rookies are penciled in to take on large roles, a few times its worked, most times it has gone as expected.

Reactions: Gesus

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Is it me or we have one forward too many on the roster?

If some of the expected young guys play well, we can be looking at this:

Dzingel-Duchene-White
Boedker-Pageau-Stone
Tkachuk-Brown-Ryan
Smith-Chlapik-Pyatt
Paajarvi/McCormick

Reaaaalllyyy hoping that Smith is traded before October comes along. I fear he’s one of the guys Dorion/Boucher see as a “good veteran presence”... he will likely block someone like Chlapik/White/Tkachuk from getting more minutes if he’s here imo.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Dzingel-Duchene-White
Boedker-Pageau-Stone
Tkachuk-Brown-Ryan
Smith-Chlapik-Pyatt
Paajarvi/McCormick

Reaaaalllyyy hoping that Smith is traded before October comes along. I fear he’s one of the guys Dorion/Boucher see as a “good veteran presence”... he will likely block someone like Chlapik/White/Tkachuk from getting more minutes if he’s here imo.
It'll probably take a week into camp before Ryan's first injury, Tkachuk likely doesn't make the team, and Chlapik will start the year in Belleville till he's needed.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Dzingel-Duchene-White
Boedker-Pageau-Stone
Tkachuk-Brown-Ryan
Smith-Chlapik-Pyatt
Paajarvi/McCormick

I think it's Chlapik or Brown, not Chlapik and Brown. So that solves part of the issue right there. Your lineup is probably pretty close if Tkachuk ends up sticking the whole season though.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think it's Chlapik or Brown, not Chlapik and Brown. So that solves part of the issue right there. Your lineup is probably pretty close if Tkachuk ends up sticking the whole season though.
You're right on Chlapik/Brown. I can't see both guys on the team at C until some changes are made or theres a rash of injuries.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I can't remember if it was Garrioch, but I could have sworn someone reported that if Smith was on the team this season it would likely be at Center.

Seems pretty cut and dry that the centers will be Duchene, Pageau, Smith, Brown/Chlapik/White.

Maybe Paul Carey works his way into the lineup, I have no idea what the plan is there.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I can't remember if it was Garrioch, but I could have sworn someone reported that if Smith was on the team this season it would likely be at Center.

Seems pretty cut and dry that the centers will be Duchene, Pageau, Smith, Brown/Chlapik/White.

Maybe Paul Carey works his way into the lineup, I have no idea what the plan is there.

Smith is so much better at the wing that I don't expect that to last very long.

Reactions: Sensinitis

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
There's no room for Smith at center in this lineup. He'll be taking lots of draws but that's about it. Ideally he's a healthy scratch most nights. Even McCormick would be ahead of him on the depth chart at C.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
Signing Nash to a 1 year deal wouldn't be a bad option.

If I remember correctly he nixed a trade to us when he was leaving Columbus, we are in a worse spot now and his services will be wanted elsewhere. I don't think he would sign here but I agree I would like if he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad