Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Dorion tried to ignore a question about buyouts by saying "we don't want to tip our hand" but then completely tipped his hand, alluding to the fact that there are some players that are involved in trade discussions that might be bought out otherwise.

He also said they are undecided as to whether or not they will qualify all their RFAs (feel like this either indicates a re-signing or Claesson possibly being let go).

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Dorion tried to ignore a question about buyouts by saying "we don't want to tip our hand" but then completely tipped his hand, alluding to the fact that there are some players that are involved in trade discussions that might be bought out otherwise.

He also said they are undecided as to whether or not they will qualify all their RFAs (feel like this either indicates a re-signing or Claesson possibly being let go).
When was this?

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I think you are forgetting that the Sens would also have to take on Orpiks contract.

No way would Melnyk take on Orpiks contract without getting rid of one of our other terrible contracts first.

I mean if we trade Karlsson (and Ryan) that Orpik contract could help get to the floor

Just wishful thinking on my part

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

I thought that was a little strange as well. He didnt name names i guess, but im sure everyone can assume the two biggest candidates are Gaborik and Burrows. No chance on Ryan imo when you break down the numbers.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Zibanejad trade tree so far...

Zibanejad

for

(1.5 years of Brassard @ 3M/3.5M)
Gustavsson
Bernard-Docker (2018 26th Overall Pick)
2018 48th Overall Pick
2019 PIT 3rd
2020 CBJ 3rd

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Me too.

They’ll probably wait for July 1st to make it seem like they’re an honest organization, but they’ll intentionally low-ball him and put the blame on him.

If the Vegas deal is their preferred deal, I think it goes down prior to July 1st. Ryan has a 2M signing bonus due July 1st, and if the Senators wait to make the deal, that means Melnyk has to pay it.

Similar to the Subban trade, I could see this going right down to the wire prior to July 1st. (Subban was a bit of a different situation, MTL didn't want his NMC kicking in on July 1st rather than an unwillingness to pay a bonus) If Vegas is smart, they realize that they have leverage in respect to Ottawa having to make the deal prior to July 1st to avoid Ryan's bonus.

Regarding offering Karlsson a contract on July 1st, Dorion can still come out and clarify the situation, that they can actually talk contracts prior to July 1st in order to come to an agreement, and that they can only sign on July 1st. So after the trade, he can very easily sell that the Senators lived up to their end of the agreement by talking with Karlsson, but that they could not come to terms.

In a few days, teams are allowed to talk with UFAs which they do not own the rights to in order to gear up for July 1st. I could see trade talks regarding Karlsson accelerating after this period commences, because I'd imagine teams that are in on Karlsson might also be looking at John Carlson. It makes sense for a team like VGK or other teams to wait and see if a top pairing D like John Carlson is available in free agency before giving up a boat load of assets for Erik Karlsson. Not to mention there are teams hoping to be in on Tavares who may not want to deal for Erik Karlsson until they figure out if they need to allocate 12M+ worth of cap space in order to sign Tavares. In that respect, Tavares and Carlson both re-signing with their original teams in the coming days could be hugely beneficial to the Senators if they wish to deal Karlsson prior to July 1st.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Man hanifin and lindolm for Hamilton? We better be f***ing keeping karlsson if we’re keaving these things on the table

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ooof, Mann did not seem too stoked about the pick. Kinda seemed like he was at a loss for words to complement him and was trying to be really careful.

Then Dorion going bananas over the bloodlines question. I got a bad feeling about this.
Grasping at straws to support your dislike for the pick. What he really said was that Tkachuk played on a line with Greenway as his centre & Tkachuk had to become the playmaker on his line which IMO proves his versatility to do whatever it takes to win. Slightly different perspective than yours from the same interview, I guess. I have a very good feeling about this pick.

Reactions: Cosmix and Daffy

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
Can someone tell me what the back story is to why there is such large speculation EK will be traded? I keep hearing this talk but feel like I missed something that accelerated these discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad