Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If want to make the playoffs we'll need Ryan and Boedker to bounce back offensively and for our young guys to step it up. Pretty big "ifs" though.
Its gonna have a lot more to do with how our defense and goaltending play to be honest. Ryan kind of already did have a bounce back year as well as Boedker. But from a forward standpoint we only really have 2 top 6 forwards. I could see Brown producing close to a top 6 guy for stretches.

Reactions: NB613

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Hard to interpret your post any other way.

Bruh. I don’t want Orpik as a player, and never said I did. You completely put words in my mouth. I was saying that if we are blowing it up, his bloated contract could have been useful for cap purposes. And ONLY within the specific context of that Grubauer deal would I have been ok with getting him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Look I’m happy we re-signed Wideman but ‘a character guy’?
I only QA twitter on Mondays now.. If you have any complaints about the content of tweets originating on Mondays but read or reposted on Tuesdays .. you can call me out on those .. Everything else I do not take any responsibility for.

Reactions: Wondercarrot

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
^
To Vegas: Karlsson + Ryan
To Ottawa: Theodore + Tuch + Glass + 1st 2019

To Anaheim: Anderson/Gaborik + Smith + (Claesson/Harpur)
To Ottawa: Perry

Sign Lehner
Use additional assets for a top 4 RHD

Tkachuk-Duchene-Perry
Boedker-Glass-Stone
Dzingel-Brown-Tuch
Paajarvi-Pageau-White

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Lol at Eklund:

"Talked to a source just now who says the offers for Karlsson are not even close to making it worth the Sens "risking a terrible season and they would rather let him walk than not get enough."

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It makes perfect sense though.

If you want a RD and you're in on Carlson, wouldn't you wait until you figure out whether or not you're going to get him for free before giving up 3-5 really big pieces for Karlsson?

It does make sense, though it was conveniently forgotten or not thought of prior to the draft. Not once was John Carlson's availability mentioned when the topic was Erik Karlsson being traded.

Reactions: Silencio

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
If (when) Karlsson gets traded to Vegas (or wherever), this forward group could look pretty good in a couple of years if Dorion can land some key pieces and some our prospects pan out. This is just for fun, but you get the idea.

To Vegas: Karlsson & Ryan
To Ottawa: Theodore, Tuch, Glass & 1st 2019

To Carolina: Pageau, Dzingel, & Ceci
To Ottawa: Skinner, Pesce, & 3rd 2019

Buy out Gaborik, bury Burrows in Belleville (nice alliteration), and trade Smith for a pick or 2.

Future roster:

Skinner - Duchene - Stone
Tkachuk - Brown - Batherson
Tuch - Glass - White
Formenton - Chlapik - Gagne

Chabot - Pesce
Theodore - Jaros
Wolanin - Tychonick
Bernard-Docker

Gustavsson
Hogberg

If some our prospects continue on the same development curve (Batherson, Formenton, Gustavsson, etc...), this team would be very competitive in a few years and fun to watch (very fast). I would also focus on drafting more defensemen (if possible) in the 2019 draft. Thoughts on the Carolina deal; is the value way off? I didn't really consider contracts/salary, so maybe there is something I overlooked.

I love that he looks like his own defensive pairing.

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
If (when) Karlsson gets traded to Vegas (or wherever), this forward group could look pretty good in a couple of years if Dorion can land some key pieces and some our prospects pan out. This is just for fun, but you get the idea.

To Vegas: Karlsson & Ryan
To Ottawa: Theodore, Tuch, Glass & 1st 2019

To Carolina: Pageau, Dzingel, & Ceci
To Ottawa: Skinner, Pesce, & 3rd 2019

Buy out Gaborik, bury Burrows in Belleville (nice alliteration), and trade Smith for a pick or 2.

Future roster:

Skinner - Duchene - Stone
Tkachuk - Brown - Batherson
Tuch - Glass - White
Formenton - Chlapik - Gagne

Chabot - Pesce
Theodore - Jaros
Wolanin - Tychonick
Bernard-Docker

Gustavsson
Hogberg

If some our prospects continue on the same development curve (Batherson, Formenton, Gustavsson, etc...), this team would be very competitive in a few years and fun to watch (very fast). I would also focus on drafting more defensemen (if possible) in the 2019 draft. Thoughts on the Carolina deal; is the value way off? I didn't really consider contracts/salary, so maybe there is something I overlooked.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Perhaps teams are waiting till July 1 so they can sign Karl after a trade?

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Why is Carolina doing this?
Cause fans are homers.

Dorion has probably told teams to wait till after July 1st but I bet he is working on agreements with teams that are on Karlssons OK list. The team already knows if he will sign, so we just have to wait a week. I think this is a 50/50 situation and I think the team will offer 10.5 to 11 mil.

Interesting that Smith didnt go. We have seen 0 moves yet to get younger or faster (lol).

If you are signing Karlsson then Ceci might have to go for cap reasons, and with Wideman re-upping and Jaros close to NHL ready, I have to see one of Ceci or Karlsson moving on.

The only big name D left are Faulk, Tanev, Carlson (close to resigning). Market is being set for Karlsson. Also the JT situation has many of our suitors waiting.

Ultimately I'd love to deal Karlsson to NYI (man I want Dobson+Walstrom) or COL (I think we will bounce back but the security of my 2019 pick lets me sleep at night).

I do also think the only option left for Melnyk is to resign Karlsson. He needs to cool the unrest and continue his plan to sell the team in 3 years...

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
Why is Carolina doing this?

1. Pageau steps in and offers them some centre depth after losing Lindholm. He would slot in nicely after Rask and Staal.

2. Dzingel again would offer them some depth in the top 9, allowing Carolina to dress an experienced burner with offensive upside instead of a plug or a younger player.

3. DW is still putting his stamp on the team (see Hanifin deal).

4. It's hard to justify including Ceci, but I really want to get rid of him lol. Is that reason enough?

5. Lastly, I prefaced by saying this was "just for fun". That gives me permission to blur the lines of reality.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
So apparently Skinner declined a few trades to certain teams.

Im just praying we weren't one. And if we were, I hope news doesn't come out cause that would make me so sad. I love skinner.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Driedger, Claesson and Moutrey could be on the chopping block here.

I imagine the rest get QO's.

I think they'll probably qualify Claesson. You can never have enough depth defensemen in the NHL. He might be better playing a reduced role and has some NHL experience. That counts for something.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
I think they'll probably qualify Claesson. You can never have enough depth defensemen in the NHL. He might be better playing a reduced role and has some NHL experience. That counts for something.
Our bottom pairing LHD options are Wolanin, Boro, Harpur and Claesson. Wolanin has the most upside, management loves Boro, and Harpur is on a one way this year. That leaves Claesson as the odd man out, unless PD really thinks he still has top 4 upside at 25 years old.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The only reason I'd imagine that the Senators wouldn't qualify Claesson is if they don't want to risk having to pay him what an arbitrator deems acceptable. A similar situation happened between the Capitals and Brett Connolly. He was not qualified, but both sides agreed to a deal prior to Connolly becoming a UFA.

Even after a bad season, I'd be surprised if we walked away from Claesson completely given that he showed some upside during 16-17 and is just at the point in his career that tends to be the make or break time for defenders of his quality.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Our bottom pairing LHD options are Wolanin, Boro, Harpur and Claesson. Wolanin has the most upside, management loves Boro, and Harpur is on a one way this year. That leaves Claesson as the odd man out, unless PD really thinks he still has top 4 upside at 25 years old.

Even with Claesson and Ceci signed that's 8 contracts at the NHL level. You rotate Wolanin, Claesson and Harpur through the defense corps. Throw an injury in (unfortunately, always likely, and more often than not more than 1 injury) and suddenly you're thin at that backend. It's not a bad insurance clause to keep. Depends where they see Jaros and Englund's progress.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

Can't look at left/right side, since we probably won't have enough RHD so some of the lefties will have to play their offside.

Karlsson is in limbo right now....that leaves us potentially with a rough depth chart of....

RHD: Ceci, Wideman, Jaros
LHD: Chabot, Harpur, Borowiecki, Wolanin, Claesson, Englund, Sieloff, Lajoie

Hopefully I'm not forgetting anybody. Whether we keep or trade Karlsson, I think we get a defender back who fits into our top 3 or so (Shea Theodore?) but they might not be a RHD.

Claesson is probably in that 8th-10th spot on the defensive depth chart depending on how well he does at camp and in the pre-season. I don't think there's any harm in signing him to a similar deal to Wideman's if he is game. Give him one more season to try and earn his spot, if not maybe someone takes a chance on him for a late pick or a change of scenery type trade where we get a different player.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
On another note, I was listening to the most recent 31 Thoughts Podcast this morning.

I can't recall if it was a rumour or speculation, but something about Dallas being in on or inquiring about Karlsson. I'd have to re-listen later.

I could see why the Stars would be motivated to make a big move. They are a team who seems to wheel and deal every off season, be discussed as a potential big time player, then they seem to perpetually fall short and more often than not miss the playoffs. They need something to push them over the top, and currently Seguin is one year away from unrestricted free agency.

I'd imagine John Klingberg would be the main piece coming back to us. It makes sense since Karlsson's acquisition would make Klingberg the Stars most redundant valuable piece, and when it comes to money (as it always does) Klingberg is on a fantastic contract where he is only owed an average of 5.3125 million per season for the next four seasons. This is with Klingberg coming off of 58, 49, and 67 point seasons from the back end.

Dallas' top prospect is Miro Heiskanen. Especially if Ryan isn't coming back in the deal, which I think would be harder for Dallas to do, I think the Sens would have to ask for Heiskanen, because I'm not sure Dallas has any other real high end prospects. Getting both Heiskanen and Klingberg in a package deal would be a tall order, but it is Karlsson we're talking about here.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Dallas isn't trading us both Heiskanen and Klingberg in the same deal that isn't realistic whatsoever. The difference between Karlsson and Klingberg taking all things into consideration (age, contract status, production, etc) isn't arguably the best d prospect outside of the NHL besides Dahlin.

I also have a hard time seeing them on board for a Karlsson-Klingberg swap. They'd be more than doubling Klingberg's cap hit to pay Karlsson, and then Seguin is going to command a huge deal that same offseason. Lindell probably gets a sizable raise as well. Tough ask even with Spezza off the books.

Reactions: Crocoduck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad