Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018 | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
if they see him as a legit 2nd line guy

He's topped at 35 points entering his prime largely playing with three of the best offensive forwards in the league. There's no way he makes that contract look good going forward imo. He's a $3-4 million guy at best.

This is classic overpayment for a good playoff run. Shades of Bickell and Pisani.

Reactions: bert

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Thats actually unbelievable that they gave him that much money. You actually think he wouldnt have signed for 3 million per season?

No. Because Wilson is worth much more than 3 million dollars.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think before the cup run, he'd have been signing between 3 and 4, leaning towards 4. This is the first time in his career he's broken 25 pts in a season, and he did it ridding OV. It's not as bad as Greening ridding Spezza, but there is a bit of similarity in that both owe their contracts to a superstar imo.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Owners are creating the perfect storm for another lockout. Front loaded, bonus laden contracts and overpaying for potential ability rather than proven ability.
Then the owners will complain that salaries are out of control, contract structures are ridiculous. But it’s the owners that are signing these deals.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Wilson is definitely overpaid but I feel like Kuznetsov and OV are able to play their game with him and he doesn't look out of place.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Owners are creating the perfect storm for another lockout. Front loaded, bonus laden contracts and overpaying for potential ability rather than proven ability.
Then the owners will complain that salaries are out of control, contract structures are ridiculous. But it’s the owners that are signing these deals.
Front loaded bonus loaded contracts make the owners less likely to lock out the players.

The coming battle is between big market owners giving out these contracts (and who will be forced to payout during a lockout) and the more numerous average and small market teams who are hurt by those deals.

If a lockout happens expect greater revenue sharing to be on the table.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Front loaded bonus loaded contracts make the owners less likely to lock out the players.

The coming battle is between big market owners giving out these contracts (and who will be forced to payout during a lockout) and the more numerous average and small market teams who are hurt by those deals.

If a lockout happens expect greater revenue sharing to be on the table.
I’m not sure about the lockout being less likely. As you say, it just creates another front in the war. Now it’s players vs big market owners vs small market owners.

Also, escrow is a huge problem.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

For one good playoffs riding shot gun to Kuznetsov and Ovie. Absolutely disagree.

Show me some comparable 30 point physical wingers making more than 3.5 million.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
For one good playoffs riding shot gun to Kuznetsov and Ovie. Absolutely disagree.

He was a 1st round pick and is only 24. He just took a huge leap last year offensively. He's capable of 40-50 points imo. And he was a huge part of them winning the Cup. And obviously he brings a lot to the table.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

Abdelkader, Ladd, Saad, Lucic, Foligno, Backes, Helm, Eakin, Sutter, Brouwer, Shaw, Wilson, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hanzal

Not physical but similar production:
Eriksson, Tatar, Soderberg, Pominville, Nielsen, Rask, Hagelin, Anisimov, Zajac, Bonino, Frolik, Berglund,

Some of them are centermen, didn't see you say wingers until I had done most of the list. But still, lots of similar or even far worse, older players making more than 3.5m.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Abdelkader, Ladd, Saad, Lucic, Foligno, Backes, Helm, Eakin, Sutter, Brouwer, Shaw, Wilson, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hanzal

Not physical but similar production:
Eriksson, Tatar, Soderberg, Pominville, Nielsen, Rask, Hagelin, Anisimov, Zajac, Bonino, Frolik, Berglund,

Some of them are centermen, didn't see you say wingers until I had done most of the list. But still, lots of similar or even far worse, older players making more than 3.5m.

Difference here is that more than half of the players you listed at least earned their cap hit with some solid production before receiving said contracts. Unlike Wilson who is coming off one good year. This contract will only be good if Wilson continues his upward trajectory and gets even better. Definitely a gamble as he is 24 and has been in the league for a while.

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
tom wilson is a beast. A bit much but would love him on my team.

So would I (suspensions aside), but that's a contract with anchor-potential.

Wilson's making first-line money after one outstanding post-season. Aside from that, he's been a superb 3rd/4th line forward who could add some jam to the top six when necessary.

Makes you wonder what a prime Lucic would have made on today's open market.

On a related note: seeing Wilson land a $5.17M contract is bad news for Ottawa; we couldn't afford premiere bottom six talent when it was < 3M per year, never mind > 5M.

Reactions: NB613
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad