Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018 | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Wasn't Linden running a sports store of some sort in Vancouver before he took that gig with the Canucks? It's not like he had any NHL managerial experience before he and Benning were hired.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Wasn't Linden running a sports store of some sort in Vancouver before he took that gig with the Canucks? It's not like he had any NHL managerial experience before he and Benning were hired.

Lol you are going with his sports store resume over his playing career and involvement in the NHLPA.... The internet is made for cherry picking but come on. He's been in hockey his entire life.

I find it incredible that people around here think they know more than these pro's and professionals. Dorion is a prime example of a smart hockey guy (his scouting) that never played the game and is absolutely floundering in an NHL management position.

There was a poll on the main board where people on here actually thought they had more hockey knowledge and are more qualified than these professionals that have lived and breathed the game their entire life.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Lol you are going with his sports store resume over his playing career and involvement in the NHLPA.... The internet is made for cherry picking but come on. He's been in hockey his entire life.

I find it incredible that people around here think they know more than these pro's and professionals. Dorion is a prime example of a smart hockey guy (his scouting) that never played the game and is absolutely floundering in an NHL management position.

There was a poll on the main board where people on here actually thought they had more hockey knowledge and are more qualified than these professionals that have lived and breathed the game their entire life.

Playing the game is very, very different from being a member of management. And no one here is saying they know more than anyone in the NHL. But if you think all you need to be a good NHL manager is an NHL player resume, then you are dead wrong.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Playing the game is very, very different from being a member of management. And no one here is saying they know more than anyone in the NHL. But if you think all you need to be a good NHL manager is an NHL player resume, then you are dead wrong.

I didnt say that it wasnt, but Trevor Linden was a first overall that played in the NHL for 19 seasons and was a captain at 21 years old, he was the head of the NHLPA and you cited his work experience as retail. He played internationally for Canada at the Olympics and the World Cup. As a long time respected player and captain he has an incredible resume. He is clearly a very intelligent person and not your run of the mill average player.

I never said the bolded portion of your paragraph either. My point was that if you have played in the NHL and been in hockey your entire life, you have dealt with more things hockey related then anyone around here.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
I didnt say that it wasnt, but Trevor Linden was a first overall that played in the NHL for 19 seasons and was a captain at 21 years old, he was the head of the NHLPA and you cited his work experience as retail. He played internationally for Canada at the Olympics and the World Cup. As a long time respected player and captain he has an incredible resume. He is clearly a very intelligent person and not your run of the mill average player.

I never said the bolded portion of your paragraph either. My point was that if you have played in the NHL and been in hockey your entire life, you have dealt with more things hockey related then anyone around here.
Again, being athletically gifted enough to play the game != being intelligent enough to be in a management role / executive. It's this archaic school of thought that is keeping hockey 10 years behind other major professional sports.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
No one has said that he was a good president because he played hockey. He has a diverse resume, a life time of high level hockey experience, a position that has put him in contact with players, agents, and kms well be fore heading a team.

It would be like us losing Alfie if we brought him in as as team president. Remember, president is not GM. Anyways, its a blow for the team to lose such an important part of their history. They will survive, but it has been reported that Benning was kept and Linden removed because the ownership group wanted a quick rebuild and Benning was willing to play ball, not a full rebuild, and Linden wasn't OK with running that mandate over his own.

If he wants to he'll be in hockey again, but it it's a much more public example of an ownership group that is stepping into a team management role that it is unlikely qualified for. Ownership wants a quick turn around for money, Linden wants a proper rebuild for long term success of the franchise.

Definitely not happy about his over here, just like I'm not happy with EM meddling over there. I hope this isn't a new trend in the NHL

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
No one has said that he was a good president because he played hockey. He has a diverse resume, a life time of high level hockey experience, a position that has put him in contact with players, agents, and kms well be fore heading a team.

It would be like us losing Alfie if we brought him in as as team president. Remember, president is not GM. Anyways, its a blow for the team to lose such an important part of their history. They will survive, but it has been reported that Benning was kept and Linden removed because the ownership group wanted a quick rebuild and Benning was willing to play ball, not a full rebuild, and Linden wasn't OK with running that mandate over his own.

If he wants to he'll be in hockey again, but it it's a much more public example of an ownership group that is stepping into a team management role that it is unlikely qualified for. Ownership wants a quick turn around for money, Linden wants a proper rebuild for long term success of the franchise.

Definitely not happy about his over here, just like I'm not happy with EM meddling over there. I hope this isn't a new trend in the NHL

Carolina's new owner seems to be built in a similar mould as well although I am unaware of his plan as it relates to quick turnaround likely with $$ as the main goal or the proper way with success and longevity being the goal.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Again, being athletically gifted enough to play the game != being intelligent enough to be in a management role / executive. It's this archaic school of thought that is keeping hockey 10 years behind other major professional sports.

Linden was the head of the NHLPA, he is intelligent.... Leaving the team was a smart move because he didnt agree in the direction ownership was taking controlling benning, kindof exactly the situation here. Whether you like it or not hockey almost more than any sport relies on chemistry in the dressing room. The senators current GM has no idea how that works hence last years debacle. There is more to managing a hockey club then being an intellect. Its managing the players, personalities and understanding the room and being around the game and forming relationships with peers. So no its not archaic. Every sport is different and how you manage those teams will change based on the intricacies of each game.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Linden was the head of the NHLPA, he is intelligent.... Leaving the team was a smart move because he didnt agree in the direction ownership was taking controlling benning, kindof exactly the situation here. Whether you like it or not hockey almost more than any sport relies on chemistry in the dressing room. The senators current GM has no idea how that works hence last years debacle. There is more to managing a hockey club then being an intellect. Its managing the players, personalities and understanding the room and being around the game and forming relationships with peers. So no its not archaic. Every sport is different and how you manage those teams will change based on the intricacies of each game.

I agree with your post here about Linden and about the job in general. I think the biggest thing for Linden was that he didn't want to be at the helm of an organization that was going to put short term gain over long term success. He must have felt that if ownership wasn't going to let him create his image of the team, what was the point of being the president. Strong move by him, not a great look for the team.

I think PD can be a fine GM I think the biggest issue is the financial deals he has to make along with the personality clashes of the owner. The team is filled with character guys with varying degrees of skill, and I think we have the potential right now for a strong room.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The senators current GM has no idea how that works hence last years debacle.

Kind of funny, because 2016-17 was all about positive chemistry and the team rallying behind adversity of their teamates (MacArthur's concussion in training camp, Anderson's wife's diagnosis). This past year, the chemistry wasn't there. Things started of sort of ok but had some warning signs, then the slump came and everything went south. I think there may have been a bit of a void in losing Methot, and trading Turris probably didn't help (Duchene being new couldn't possibly be expected to jump right into a leadership role void left by Turris).

You can certainly argue that's a lack of understanding of the importance of chemistry, but I do think there were some outside forces that drove him to some of his decisions, and I'm not sure there was much of a chance of fixing it on a budget. Oduya and Thompson were probably expected to help fill that leadership role, but I'm not sure you can really have that lockeroom chemistry come from 4th liners and what should have been a bottom pair dman.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There seems to be too much emphasis on whether some of these GMs have played the game or not at the NHL level. To be sure having played the game at the NHL level gives a person some credibility but it doesn't necessarily guarantee any kind of success. I would guess that almost everyone involved with hockey has played the game at some level but not necessarily at the NHL level. Great players don't necessarily make great managers & some great managers have never played the game at the NHL level. Having great players on your team will usually guarantee some success at the NHl level & also make GMs look smarted than they may be.

I don't think you can place all the blame on any one person when teams implode or are not successful. We have seen many times including this past yr where a team not expected to do well at all make it all the way to the SCF, Ottawa almost did two yrs ago. GMs have to be lucky that the players they have assembled get along, gel together, have a good coach, good goaltending & everything comes together at the right moments throughout a season. In Ottawa, first & foremost is that they don't have the right players, second, they have not gotten good NHL goaltending, third, there are numerous questions about coaching & fourth there are questions about the GM & his ability to make good trades. Ottawa just seems to have more issues than normal throughout their organization. I don't think PD is a terrible GM but could use some much better NHL scouts around him, but the biggest problem in Ottawa to date is the ownership. Once that has been addressed than they can start looking at the rest of the organization.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Has there ever been so many question marks, with so little to actually discuss?

Yeah it’s pretty crazy how quiet it’s been.

Especially when you consider the trainwreck of a season we just had.

Changes were promised, and so far AHLers have been signed (good ones thank God...), Wideman re-signed and Burrows bought out (thank the heavens). Anything else?

Karlsson, Duchene, Stone and Ceci situations still on standstill (par for the course for Stone and Ceci though).

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
That contract makes zero sense.

Sure, if Tom Wilson is a 60 point player like he was during the playoffs, along with all the other stuff he brings, that would be a steal. There's no indication that he can play like that consistently.

If a team is prepared to give an RFA like Tom Wilson 6 years at over 5M per season, why not just sign a contract for his last two RFA years as a show me deal? If Tom Wilson were then to go and become prime Lucic who puts up 50-60 points, how much more would he really get than 5.17M after those two seasons are up? Maybe 7M if the cap gets really high....but then weigh the odds of him actually being that type of player consistently, which don't seem all that high, and this contract is bananas.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
the new Bryan Bickell
No kidding. The guy is a beast but I don't see the urgency to lock him up to such a long term big money deal at this point when you're the reigning champs. I woulda bridged him or at least gone for less term at around 3-4M. On the other hand, if they see him as a legit 2nd line guy that's kinda the going rate. Lockout 2020 here we come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad