Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018 | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Doesn’t change the fact Murray and Alfredsson negotiated him getting paid for the pay cut he took for the team. Murray was the GM of that debacle and should take responsibility along with Melnyk.
BM wasnt the one that signs the cheques ,dude...You can say that BM should have or could have done this and that...But in the end he can only spend the owners money with the owners permission ...BM absolutely would have kept Alfie if it were up to him

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Doesn’t change the fact Murray and Alfredsson negotiated him getting paid for the pay cut he took for the team. Murray was the GM of that debacle and should take responsibility along with Melnyk.
When it came to Alfredsson and Murray I have no doubt that if it were up to B.Murray he'd have Alfie signed at whatever price he'd wanted.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Murray seemed to be out to lunch on the Alfie negotiation, he said he didn’t call and was waiting for Alfie to call him to get the contract done.

I dont know about you guys, but if I have a local legend, Captain, future hall of Famer, mentor to a legend and future Captain and still the teams best forward and 2nd best player - he doesn’t leave for Sweden without a deal done or at least massive clarity on if he’s leaving.

Murray doesn’t have a great track record as a GM and dealing with his stars, he let Heatley, Spezza, Alfie whet away for literally nothing and seemed to play the helpless GM in every situation.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Murray seemed to be out to lunch on the Alfie negotiation, he said he didn’t call and was waiting for Alfie to call him to get the contract done.

I dont know about you guys, but if I have a local legend, Captain, future hall of Famer, mentor to a legend and future Captain and still the teams best forward and 2nd best player - he doesn’t leave for Sweden without a deal done or at least massive clarity on if he’s leaving.

Murray doesn’t have a great track record as a GM and dealing with his stars, he let Heatley, Spezza, Alfie whet away for literally nothing and seemed to play the helpless GM in every situation.
Starts from the top....BM did what he could with what he had to work with...Blaming him is just pointless

Reactions: aragorn

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Starts from the top....BM did what he could with what he had to work with...Blaming him is just pointless

If you have a legend you don't wait for the phone to ring, you lock down that legacy and make it the #1 priority of the organization.

Murray had time to negotiate the Ryan deal, he had time to get Alfie under contract.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The added negative to Alfie situation was that he was a prominent member of the NHLPA. In pissing Alfie off, Melnyk hurt relationships with not just the fans, but the entire dressing room.

Let's not forget that Eugene was the only owner so stupid as to not keep his mouth shut during the last lockout...

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Brian is a longstanding hockey guy. Blaming someone other than him is pointless. There was no freaking way Alfie at his age and production was getting 7M. Brian , the hockey man, knows that.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Devils advocate here, but is it possible most of the guys in the room just don't like EK?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Brian is a longstanding hockey guy. Blaming someone other than him is pointless. There was no freaking way Alfie at his age and production was getting 7M. Brian , the hockey man, knows that.
Of f***en course he wasnt worth that,for on ice play... Lol...But from a PR standpoint he absolutely was....We screwed up royal and we all know it

Reactions: Emerica and Tuna99

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Devils advocate here, but is it possible most of the guys in the room just don't like EK?
Or maybe most of the players don't like Andy.

Maybe some hate Pageau.

Perhaps a few think Stone is a jerk.

This kind of speculation is simply useless.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If that were true, he'd probably have picked a better team to go to than Detroit. Like Boston who was coming off finishing 5th in the league, and went to the finals, who also happened to be bidding for his services.

He didn't leave to chase a cup. That narrative simply doesn't make any sense when considering the facts.

I never said he was chasing a cup, I said he didn't think he could win in Ottawa so he left.

Went from bushleague franchise to one of the most respected franchises.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Or maybe most of the players don't like Andy.

Maybe some hate Pageau.

Perhaps a few think Stone is a jerk.

This kind of speculation is simply useless.

Not really. There's been a lot of talk. And honestly would it be that surprising? Not that I'm saying it is, but they seem so adamant on trading him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I never said he was chasing a cup, I said he didn't think he could win in Ottawa so he left.

Went from bushleague franchise to one of the most respected franchises.

Ottawa finished even with Detroit in the standings that year, had loads of young talent and were trending up (though major injuries to Karlsson and Spezza took their tolls on them the next season)

Things weren't looking bush league when he left (aside from a loonie owner). We the reigning coach of the year too. If he couldn't win in Ottawa, there was no reason to think his chances were any better in Detroit, who was trending downwards.

The narrative makes no sense. You don't leave one team because you can't win to go to another team trending the wrong direction that wasn't demontrably better in the first place. Besides, the implication was that winning was important, if that's why he left ottawa, but he had a significantly better team trying to land him in Boston who he turned down.

It's highly unlikely his decision to leave had anything to do with being able to win in Ottawa. the facts don't add up.

Reactions: Pierre in Orleans

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I don't think the point of his/her post was to encourage speculation but rather to keep an open mind.
Speculation was the precise reason for his/her post.

Not really. There's been a lot of talk. And honestly would it be that surprising? Not that I'm saying it is, but they seem so adamant on trading him.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ottawa finished even with Detroit in the standings that year, had loads of young talent and were trending up (though major injuries to Karlsson and Spezza took their tolls on them the next season)

Things weren't looking bush league when he left (aside from a loonie owner). We the reigning coach of the year too. If he couldn't win in Ottawa, there was no reason to think his chances were any better in Detroit, who was trending downwards.

The narrative makes no sense. You don't leave one team because you can't win to go to another team trending the wrong direction that wasn't demontrably better in the first place. Besides, the implication was that winning was important, if that's why he left ottawa, but he had a significantly better team trying to land him in Boston who he turned down.

It's highly unlikely his decision to leave had anything to do with being able to win in Ottawa. the facts don't add up.

I don't know, this was fresh off his "probably not" response when asked about coming back against the Penguins. An Ottawa team that beat the odds and upset the Habs, but seemed content with that.

Ownership was certainly a factor and likely the major factor, but at the same time, he said that Zetterberg had reached out to him, and perhaps the idea of playing for that veteran-laden team was more appealing than continuing to mentor the rather young team he possessed in 2012-2013.

They also had a truck load of Swedes at the time, Franzen, Zetterberg, Ericsson, Andersson, Kronwall, Samuelsson and Nyquist.

My understanding of the situation, rightly or wrongly, was that the opening only existed because Ottawa's management dropped the ball, but once the opportunity became available, it became something he wanted to try.

As for Boston, there could be any number of reasons why he didn't chose them, from Chara being the Captain to the style of play or the coach.

I do think Alfredsson thought his chances for winning the Cup were better in Detroit than in Ottawa, given that there were already some guys there with Cup rings and the franchise had a (fading) track record for competitiveness.

At the time, it was thought that Ottawa's competitive window was still a ways away, waiting for guys like Karlsson, Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Stone and Cowen to further develop.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't know, this was fresh off his "probably not" response when asked about coming back against the Penguins. An Ottawa team that beat the odds and upset the Habs, but seemed content with that.
Sure, but it was also a team taking on the high powered pens with their two star players (Spezza and Karlsson) no where near 100%. Could we win that series, no not likely. Was our ability to win that series representative of where he felt the team was going forward, to quote the man himself, probably not.

Ownership was certainly a factor and likely the major factor, but at the same time, he said that Zetterberg had reached out to him, and perhaps the idea of playing for that veteran-laden team was more appealing than continuing to mentor the rather young team he possessed in 2012-2013.

They also had a truck load of Swedes at the time, Franzen, Zetterberg, Ericsson, Andersson, Kronwall, Samuelsson and Nyquist.

I think the truck load of swedes and Zetterberg reaching out to him was why he landed in Detroit, and not Boston where he also had some ex-teammates in Chara, and Kelly. But I really don't think you can call that leaving because he knew he wouldn't win in Ottawa, which is what I was disputing.

My understanding of the situation, rightly or wrongly, was that the opening only existed because Ottawa's management dropped the ball, but once the opportunity became available, it became something he wanted to try.

Sure, something (management/ownership) made him sour, and Detroit looked like a good fit for a fresh start(end).

As for Boston, there could be any number of reasons why he didn't chose them, from Chara being the Captain to the style of play or the coach.

Again, I only mention Boston because the claim was he left because he didn't think he could win in Ottawa. If winning was really what was on his mind, it would have made more sense to go to Boston than Detroit. The only thing it lacked was the truckload of Swedes (they only had Soderberg and Eriksson)

I do think Alfredsson thought his chances for winning the Cup were better in Detroit than in Ottawa, given that there were already some guys there with Cup rings and the franchise had a (fading) track record for competitiveness.

Perhaps, though I doubt he saw it as a big gap (the guy is pretty savvy afterall, he won't be duped by dusty cup rings and a fading track record)

At the time, it was thought that Ottawa's competitive window was still a ways away, waiting for guys like Karlsson, Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Stone and Cowen to further develop.

Karlsson already had a norris to his name and looked even better the next year before Cooke happened. They still had Spezza too who again, was looking pretty good before getting hurt. Silfverberg looked like a very good middle 6 guy already. Perhaps Alfredsson read the tea leaves and knew the injuries would impact the next season, idk, but once again, if the narritive is to be he was looking for a cup, Boston makes far more sense. You don't leave a team in your final year of your career because you don't think they'll be competitive only to go to a pretty similar quality team or marginally better, all the while with a cup contender knocking on your door, it just doens't add up.

Edit: sorry, this is getting off topic. We should probably sign a top 4 dman or something...

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
any possibly PTO targets?

Hard to tell whether the Senators will go that route. There could be a few players out there that see the Senators as a way to stay in the NHL.

Steve Mason could be an interesting option as he is likely better than Condon and Anderson and maybe could be had for dirt cheap.

There are a few veteran defense and forwards such as Kevin Bieksa, Alexei Emelin, Luca Sbisa, Kyle Quincey, Cody Franson, Chris Stewart, Benoit Pouliot, Scott Hartnell.

I would take a chance and give a few reclamation projects a try out such as: Emile Porier, Tomas Jurco, Duncan Siemens, Hunter Smith, Justin Auger.

Then I would maybe consider giving a tryout to a fighter for pre-season such as Luke Gazdic, Brandon Mashinter or Tom Sestito.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I'm all in for the rebuild. No PTOs. Let's just bring up the best prospects and damn the torpedoes. Full steam ahead. We'll get another first round pick once we jettison all of our top talent.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I'm all in for the rebuild. No PTOs. Let's just bring up the best prospects and damn the torpedoes. Full steam ahead. We'll get another first round pick once we jettison all of our top talent.

Some of these players might be worth a PTO: Emile Porier, Tomas Jurco, Duncan Siemens, Hunter Smith, Justin Auger.

They are still prospects and weren't qualified as RFA's. They could still be NHL prospects and if they perform well in camp then they could be good additions to Bellville and the prospect pool.

Emile Porier: 1st round pick in 2013 (CGY)
LW/RW 6'2 196 lbs

Tomas Jurco: 2nd round pick in 2011 (DET)
LW/RW 6'2 187 lbs

Duncan Siemens: 1st round pick in 2011 (COL)
D 6'3 209 lbs

Hunter Smith: 2nd round pick in 2014 (CGY)
RW 6'7 231 lbs

Justin Auger: 4th round pick in 2013 (LA)
RW 6'6 231 lbs

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
No PTOs please. Re-tool with Big-3 signed and usher in the kids into the league.

Chabot considers EK65 a mentor. I think the likes of Tkachuk, Brown, and White will only benefit into becoming valuable NHLers by being around star calibre players on the team.

I am full on-board with a mix of veteran (especially the Big-3) and youth players to lead a semi re-build.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Isn't it clear by now that it's the owner who decides which of his most expensive players to re-sign or not to re-sign & that seems to be based upon how much money they may want & what EM is willing to pay? It seems that was what happened with Alfie, Turris & now EK, they all want more money than this owner is willing to pay. We can complain all we want regarding the GM but he is certainly bound by what this owner wants to do or not do in almost every case when the better players are involved.

Ottawa has money constraints & we have all heard on more than one occasion they have had trouble meeting payroll & PD has to stay within whatever internal budget this owner sets. And this yr, if rumours are true, EM wants to be at the cap floor or close to it, that in itself should tell us he has no intention of re-signing EK unless EK takes a haircut to stay. I think the only thing preventing a deal at this point is that teams are unwilling to give PD back their best prospects or young players & sooner or later someone will give in, likely PD. With EK under contract he has this yr to get a better deal but that could be a distraction all yr after a very crappy yr last yr & no idea what the future holds for this franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille