Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ott: Seguin, Hieskenan, Oettinger, 1st 2019, 2nd 2019
Dal: Karlsson, Duchesne

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I would think that Justin Auger and Hunter Smith would be worthwhile PTO targets. As I stated earlier they are unqualified RFA's so they still are young enough to be prospects.

Hunter Smith: 2nd round pick in 2014 (CGY)
RW 6'7 231 lbs

Justin Auger: 4th round pick in 2013 (LA)
RW 6'6 231 lbs

Big wingers such as Smith and Auger are usually projects when they are drafted and they can take a long time to pan out if they ever do. It isn't necessarily a great strategy to use draft picks on bigger players in hopes that they pan out but sometimes they are worth a free agent signing or PTO. If the Sens give them PTO's then they can see what kind of players they are now and whether there is enough to work with to try to develop them into bottom six players at some point. If they aren't able to bring enough to the table then they can get released from their PTO and there really isn't any loss to the Senators for taking a gamble on a PTO.

Reactions: Clayonator

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Ott: Seguin, Hieskenan, Oettinger, 1st 2019, 2nd 2019
Dal: Karlsson, Duchesne

Interesting. I'm not high on Oettinger and I think Seguin might be less likely than Duchesne to sign here. I think Dallas might go for this but I'd hope the Sens would pass unless Seguin agrees up front to sign here.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I would think that Justin Auger and Hunter Smith would be worthwhile PTO targets. As I stated earlier they are unqualified RFA's so they still are young enough to be prospects.

Hunter Smith: 2nd round pick in 2014 (CGY)
RW 6'7 231 lbs

Justin Auger: 4th round pick in 2013 (LA)
RW 6'6 231 lbs

Big wingers such as Smith and Auger are usually projects when they are drafted and they can take a long time to pan out if they ever do. It isn't necessarily a great strategy to use draft picks on bigger players in hopes that they pan out but sometimes they are worth a free agent signing or PTO. If the Sens give them PTO's then they can see what kind of players they are now and whether there is enough to work with to try to develop them into bottom six players at some point. If they aren't able to bring enough to the table then they can get released from their PTO and there really isn't any loss to the Senators for taking a gamble on a PTO.

Why did you hack this account, aragon? :naughty:

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Isn't it clear by now that it's the owner who decides which of his most expensive players to re-sign or not to re-sign & that seems to be based upon how much money they may want & what EM is willing to pay? It seems that was what happened with Alfie, Turris & now EK, they all want more money than this owner is willing to pay. We can complain all we want regarding the GM but he is certainly bound by what this owner wants to do or not do in almost every case when the better players are involved.

Ottawa has money constraints & we have all heard on more than one occasion they have had trouble meeting payroll & PD has to stay within whatever internal budget this owner sets. And this yr, if rumours are true, EM wants to be at the cap floor or close to it, that in itself should tell us he has no intention of re-signing EK unless EK takes a haircut to stay. I think the only thing preventing a deal at this point is that teams are unwilling to give PD back their best prospects or young players & sooner or later someone will give in, likely PD. With EK under contract he has this yr to get a better deal but that could be a distraction all yr after a very crappy yr last yr & no idea what the future holds for this franchise.

apart from hfSens content have you read or heard anywhere that the plan is to be lose to the cap floor?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think it all started with a Dreger quote;

If the plan was to get to the cap floor we would be there already lmao. Such a dumb tweet to stir up shit.

Sens fans: I hope Eugene doesn’t make us play at the floor haha

Everyone else: lol imagine Eugene makes them play at the floor

Dreger: this just in. Eugene melnyks sole purpose in life is to get the sens to the cap floor. Breaking news now.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If the plan was to get to the cap floor we would be there already lmao. Such a dumb tweet to stir up ****.

Dreger: this just in. Eugene melnyks sole purpose in life is to get the sens to the cap floor. Breaking news now.
Not news .. June 19 tweet. Crapping on the Sens is a new fave sport in the media

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If the plan was to get to the cap floor we would be there already lmao. Such a dumb tweet to stir up ****.

While it's possible those reports are BS, if Karlsson is dealt with Ryan prior to the season starting, we'll be a cap floor team, or a below cap floor team in terms of real money spent.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

Do you not realize who Eugene Melnyk is?

He actually made similar comments the suprise year we made the playoffs with a cheap roster.

And now having watched Las Vegas make the finals, he is probably more emboldened.

All Melnyk cares about is putting the least amount of cash in the team as possible.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
While it's possible those reports are BS, if Karlsson is dealt with Ryan prior to the season starting, we'll be a cap floor team, or a below cap floor team in terms of real money spent.

yes this is true if you think in terms of 14M salary out and no salary coming back. You stretching looking for something to shit on

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
yes this is true if you think in terms of 14M salary out and no salary coming back. You stretching looking for something to **** on

Wasn't the rumoured VGK deal pretty much that though? Not sure if they could still swing a deal like that now though, but the entire point of including Ryan is to purge salary, so it's unlikely they'd be willing to take a lot back.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Wasn't the rumoured VGK deal pretty much that though? Not sure if they could still swing a deal like that now though, but the entire point of including Ryan is to purge salary, so it's unlikely they'd be willing to take a lot back.

the key word being rumoured.

and imo there is a difference between purging salary and purging ryan's salary. different objectives

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
yes this is true if you think in terms of 14M salary out and no salary coming back. You stretching looking for something to **** on

It's not really a stretch. The price has been rumoured to be something in the realms of a player, top prospect, and then other picks

We're spending about 68.5M now after accounting for Mac's insured contract. The floor is about 58M. If we get Theodore or Miller+Glass from VGK for example, that's a few million in real money at most coming back with almost 15M out.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011

Dreger Tweet #2: Melnyk lobbying hard to lower the floor

Reactions: Burrowsaurus

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
It's not really a stretch. The price has been rumoured to be something in the realms of a player, top prospect, and then other picks

We're spending about 68.5M now after accounting for Mac's insured contract. The floor is about 58M. If we get Theodore or Miller+Glass from VGK for example, that's a few million in real money at most coming back with almost 15M out.

Is this figure the actual out of pocket real dollars spent on the roster or the artificial one (cap hit?)the team likes to use for public relations etc..., I know there are two figures but am unsure at this time what they are?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Is this figure the actual out of pocket real dollars spent on the roster or the artificial one (cap hit?)the team likes to use for public relations etc..., I know there are two figures but am unsure at this time what they are?

best bet is to look at salary data on cap friendly

Reactions: Upgrayedd

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Cap friendly has the team's salary at 71.940M in real dollars. That includes White (925k) and Carey (700k) who are both on 2 ways and Gaborik (4.575M) and MacArthur (4.75M) who are expected to be on LTIR.

So realistically, we're probably looking at like 62-63M in real dollars. By the trade deadline when guys like Duchene and Karlsson are dealt, we can realistically bring the year's salary expenditure into the 50s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad