Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018 | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
We might even if we still have him. We're pretty much running only 1 top 4 dman in Karlsson, unless we want to include Ceci attempting to play that role.
I understand your point. Yet, I feel we have a better scenario if EK is on board.

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
Our idiot owner and GM need to understand this: if you let Karl/Duchene/Stone leave as trades, you will be lucky to get back players of the calibre to be equal to Karl/Duchene/Stone in 3-5 years. By then Tkachuk, Batherson, etc. and any of White, Brown etc. will be off their entry deals and at market salaries, so you won't be able to afford them all with your cheap-a** internal salary cap, right when Gustafsson hits his top stride. You're idiots to hope for a cavalcade of talent to ripen at once because it is unaffordable. The Kings won with stars + cheap youth in Toffoli, Pearson etc.. You need to keep your stars now and hope the youth gets ripe soon, and that Gaborik is physically unable to play and you can add talent with his money if covered by insurance.

My belief is that Cheapo looks at the equation of guaranteed tv money + guaranteed radio money + seat revenue - costs = profits, and thinks that saving $18M or so by paying almost the salary floor will only cost him about $10M in seat revenue, and thinks he can suck and profit for a few years while waiting for media deals to come up for renewal.

We will need to prove to him that a bargain basement, embarrassment roster will cost him a bundle with an empty arena, and if he lets 2 of Karl/Duchene/Stone go without similar immediate replacements, I will never buy another ticket while he is owner.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah and you could say the same about McDonald’s (« I’m going to boycott them! »), but it’s still always packed.

Not saying the CTC will be packed, but there will be a good enough base of customers that will cover the costs. Melnyk knows that many are already boycotting him so of course he is not going to take risks and invest more on the roster.

Couteau a double tranchant, double edged sword.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Yeah and you could say the same about McDonald’s (« I’m going to boycott them! »), but it’s still always packed.

Not saying the CTC will be packed, but there will be a good enough base of customers that will cover the costs. Melnyk knows that many are already boycotting him so of course he is not going to take risks and invest more on the roster.

Couteau a double tranchant, double edged sword.

That's a game of chicken he's going to lose if that's the way he sees things. Get ready for 10k-or-less game attendance.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I predict that less than 10 k will not happen this year
Thursday november 1st is a home game against Buffalo. Guaranteed it'll be less than 10k. Monday Oct 15th against the stars is probably a good bet too.

Really any weeknight game or game against not the Habs/Leafs is probably a sub 13k crowd. Some will dip below 10k.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Thursday november 1st is a home game against Buffalo. Guaranteed it'll be less than 10k. Monday Oct 15th against the stars is probably a good bet too.

Really any weeknight game or game against not the Habs/Leafs is probably a sub 13k crowd. Some will dip below 10k.

Not if the Stars lineup features Karl.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Our idiot owner and GM need to understand this: if you let Karl/Duchene/Stone leave as trades, you will be lucky to get back players of the calibre to be equal to Karl/Duchene/Stone in 3-5 years. By then Tkachuk, Batherson, etc. and any of White, Brown etc. will be off their entry deals and at market salaries, so you won't be able to afford them all with your cheap-a** internal salary cap, right when Gustafsson hits his top stride. You're idiots to hope for a cavalcade of talent to ripen at once because it is unaffordable. The Kings won with stars + cheap youth in Toffoli, Pearson etc.. You need to keep your stars now and hope the youth gets ripe soon, and that Gaborik is physically unable to play and you can add talent with his money if covered by insurance.

My belief is that Cheapo looks at the equation of guaranteed tv money + guaranteed radio money + seat revenue - costs = profits, and thinks that saving $18M or so by paying almost the salary floor will only cost him about $10M in seat revenue, and thinks he can suck and profit for a few years while waiting for media deals to come up for renewal.

We will need to prove to him that a bargain basement, embarrassment roster will cost him a bundle with an empty arena, and if he lets 2 of Karl/Duchene/Stone go without similar immediate replacements, I will never buy another ticket while he is owner.

Man, do you guys spend an extraordinary amount of time threatening not to support this team. Just stop supporting them already and get over with it.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I don’t think the best way of saying it is that rebuilds don’t work. But they are often presented as if it’s a guaranteed 3 yr plan that is easy to make work. It could work if we win lotteries in years of exceptional talent, and circumstance works in our favour. This must be how Edm prob felt after drafting RNH. But im going to guess the times it has worked as planned is less than 50%.

But what could also work is just building. Continuing to build over the next several years. Keeping our UFA’s, adding one or two prospects a year and combining picks to find several key players over the next several years. Not rebuilding, as if it were an easy way out guaranteed to work. But rather just continuing the long slog of building. It can be just as likely to produce success within 10 years as surrendering to a complete rebuild.

I don’t see the idea of a rebuild as an obviously proper easiest way out.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Pretty much this.

We're spending almost 10M above the floor. Let's say we trade Karl+Ryan with only a few million in salary coming back to become a floor team, I could easily see how an owner like Melnyk could think only with the short term bottom line in mind and act accordingly.

The reality is, if you're more concerned with the short term, it's financially more prudent to spend to the cap floor, even if that means less fans coming to the games. 10 million dollars not spent equates to each of the 41 home games being about 244USD cheaper to produce. At 318,190 CAD, if the average Sens ticket is 100 bucks (just a guess) spending at the floor effectively puts Melnyk ahead by over 3000 tickets per game.

I am not defending the position, but I can see the thought process if short term finances are the priority. Basically if we averaged 15k at 68M, we'd have to go down to below 12k at 58M before it didnt make sense. Maybe less if my 100 average ticket price is too high.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Pretty much this.

We're spending almost 10M above the floor. Let's say we trade Karl+Ryan with only a few million in salary coming back to become a floor team, I could easily see how an owner like Melnyk could think only with the short term bottom line in mind and act accordingly.

The reality is, if you're more concerned with the short term, it's financially more prudent to spend to the cap floor, even if that means less fans coming to the games. 10 million dollars not spent equates to each of the 41 home games being about 244USD cheaper to produce. At 318,190 CAD, if the average Sens ticket is 100 bucks (just a guess) spending at the floor effectively puts Melnyk ahead by over 3000 tickets per game.

I am not defending the position, but I can see the thought process if short term finances are the priority. Basically if we averaged 15k at 68M, we'd have to go down to below 12k at 58M before it didnt make sense. Maybe less if my 100 average ticket price is too high.
So let's get him down to 5,000 if he sells off 2 or more of EK, Stone and Duchene.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer

Safe to assume he did not ask for a trade? Or at least that he's changed his mind.

Or he's being a professional while the 'trade request' still stands.

This could be another case of rumour exaggeration. Perhaps Andy just said "If trading me would help, I'd be open to that" and that got spun into requesting a trade.

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Not if the Stars lineup features Karl.
He gets it.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Clayonator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad