Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018 | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Given the influx of young players with the mandate to play them I highly doubt his deployment will mimic that of last season. I can guarantee he’ll be around 10 goals this coming year with an improved plus minus. Is he a power play liability due to a lack of hands? Yes. That experiment should have ended way sooner than it did. Is he on the pk? Not historically, and I’d argue he was no worse in terms of d zone coverage his past year than anyone else, and none of that really matters when you have Andersieve or Holey Condom backstopping you. Watching McCormick play full time last year would have been even uglier. His hockey IQ and play with the puck makes Smith look like a savant. And you want to talk about undisciplined penalties? Mad max is already making a name of his own in that regard with a much smaller sample size.
Again, I'm not trying to build up McCormick as a good option. He's just better than Smith for the role they need to be playing especially given salary and superior skating. If Dorion hadn't been so frivolous with the bottom of the roster, we could have taken steps towards securing our core players or actually trying to improve this offseason.

This can't be stated enough but if Dorion hadn't signed those silly contracts with Condon and Anderson, we could have made a move for a guy like Grubauer this offseason and the organization could have easily pitched a hopeful outlook from a PR standpoint with improved goaltending and full seasons from the big 3. But we're stuck in this situation now for this year AND another. Its bonkers.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
And Smith is now 30. He's on the downside of his career. He's always been slow and now youth isn't on his side. There won't be a bounce back, he's just going to continue to be what he's been for a long time. 2016 was the outlier for Smith. Once he signed, he was as bad as he's been in 14-15 and 17-18.

Not trying to make McCormick sound like he's good or anything. He's a fourth liner who will get 7-8 goals and play some PK. That's better than what Smith is at this point and going forward. Like I said, he was legitimately one of the worst players in the entire league last year. McCormick is better than absolute worst.

You sure do love speaking in absolutes ...to not even entertain the possibility of a bounce back is nuts . McMormick is not yet at smiths level

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Should've traded Smith when we had the chance. Now we get to watch him play with one hand on his stick for the next 3 years because some genius decided to double his contract based off one decent year where Mark Stone carried his ass.

Settle down fella. Just because he hasn’t been traded yet doesn’t mean we’re stuck with him for the rest of his contract.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Again, I'm not trying to build up McCormick as a good option. He's just better than Smith for the role they need to be playing especially given salary and superior skating. If Dorion hadn't been so frivolous with the bottom of the roster, we could have taken steps towards securing our core players or actually trying to improve this offseason.

This can't be stated enough but if Dorion hadn't signed those silly contracts with Condon and Anderson, we could have made a move for a guy like Grubauer this offseason and the organization could have easily pitched a hopeful outlook from a PR standpoint with improved goaltending and full seasons from the big 3. But we're stuck in this situation now for this year AND another. Its bonkers.
So your plan was to go with an unproven goalie in Grubauer and somehow that makes us better at the position. I mean...what?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
So your plan was to go with an unproven goalie in Grubauer and somehow that makes us better at the position. I mean...what?
Probably Grubauer or Bernier from the options from this offseason. The flexibility for change would have been a huge asset but we lock our limited resources into aging and replaceable players. Instead we get the status quo.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Probably Grubauer or Bernier from the options from this offseason. The flexibility for change would have been a huge asset but we lock our limited resources into aging and replaceable players. Instead we get the status quo.

If Andy and Condon just had one more year on their deals, I wouldn’t care much to be honest. We will likely suck this year anyways, but being stuck with them for two more years is less than ideal.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
I think he told Dorion he'd be open to a trade. He also acknowledged to the press that it might be hard to find a team willing to take on his contract.

There is only two years left no? all depending on how this year goes he might even retire. Is it really that big of risk ? you'd think there would be some team interested.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
There is only two years left no? all depending on how this year goes he might even retire. Is it really that big of risk ? you'd think there would be some team interested.
37 year old sub .900 goalie who is owed 9.5M. No same team will want any part of that. That's a 35 plus deal too so even if he retired the cap hit remains.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
37 year old goalie who is owed 9.5M. No same team will want any part of that. That's a 35 plus deal too so even if he retired the cap hit remains.

Dorion had to think he had a contender to sign him to that deal. Delusional. Its consistent with selling the farm for Duchene...

I like both players a GM has to be able to properly evaluate where his team is relative to the others... I suppose he has made that part of his job easier.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Whatever happened with the Andy situation ? wasn't it rumored he wanted out?

Honestly, I think if he walked in to Dorion's office and told him he wanted out (at any cost) we would have seen him flipped for Greiss/Martin or Neuvrith/Lehtera or something. There's no way Andy isn't viewed as at least a upper tier backup, even after his brutal year.

Personally I think Andy made a "softer" request (maybe something about moving him to a contender if possible, or moving him closer to home, ect) while also being very aware that there was a good likelihood he'd be starting the season in Ottawa.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Some of you need to take a break... it's getting absurd in here. Ryan is both a fascist and fat? lol. He might not be the best conditioned athlete in the league but he's a pro hockey player and not the least bit "fat". No wonder he stays away from social media, it's not because he's mentally weak it's because he probably has better things to do with his time than pay attention to anonymous dip****s taking shots at him for absurd reasons. Why some of you feel the need or right to take unwarranted shots at the players or management is beyond me, they provide enough ammo without needing to make **** up and it sure seems like we're crossing the lines between normal fan opinion and trolling. But mods seem to let a lot of that go lately.

Thank you. Something I never really understood, we can bash and insult people that we assume « are not here » but can’t say anything to random posters

It just doesn’t make sense. And then we should not be surprised to see them stay away from the internet, it’s just not sane

Ryan's political affiliation doesn't surprise me one bit, I assume a lot of hockey players have his views. They aren't known for their cultural awareness, a lot of them live in a completely sheltered lifestyle and hockey culture is not the most.....open minded.

Most Americans are very patriotic and right or wrong, it’s perfectly understandable. Maybe Trump shouldn’t have this much power but he’s probably there because of a lack of better candidates.

I like him too. I just wish he's find a way to stay healthy. He's also a pretty good player just a little overpaid.

When I think of Ryan, I can think about many plays but those behind the net no look passes for some Pageau goals come to mind. It requires a high hockey sense and skill level.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Sweet Jesus.

I know I'm being Captain Obvious but these "sign-the-year-before-it's-actually-required" contracts are the worst.

He is literally STARTING his new contract this year.

The only guys that should get that are the core, top end talent players. Yet here we are with Andy, Boro, Harpur locked up a year early and uncertainty around EK, Stone and Duchene. Sens gonna Sen.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
The only guys that should get that are the core, top end talent players. Yet here we are with Andy, Boro, Harpur locked up a year early and uncertainty around EK, Stone and Duchene. Sens gonna Sen.
I'd argue that the lower end guys are usually the best guys to gamble on because they can see their cost skyrocket and the sunk cost is extremely low. Harpur and Boro make less than 2m combined, IIRC, and neither one is a guy I wouldn't want in the organization at the current cost.

Anderson and, most importantly, Ryan deals were the deals that hurt the most.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Sweet Jesus.

I know I'm being Captain Obvious but these "sign-the-year-before-it's-actually-required" contracts are the worst.

Wow, I can't believe its on the first year of the new contract too. Was it just last summer that he signed that?

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Sweet Jesus.

Sometimes there is merit for signing these deals for young players. But for Anderson... ridiculous decision imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad