Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018 | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That's not how it works. You need to separate the teams financials from lebreton

Yes they are all UFA's I believe the team does know that bit of info. Something is going on so let's see

That is how it works actually, if they dont have the money to front load and extend contracts they dont have the money for the land deal. You are in denial.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
That is how it works actually, if they dont have the money to front load and extend contracts they dont have the money for the land deal. You are in denial.

It’s far from ideal obviously, but you can most certainly have one and not the other. If EM relies on ongoing revenue to fund the team, and is using cash reserves to fund the project it’s clear to see how needing large double didgit chunks of millions at the start of each season could be problematic.

Waiting for cash to arrive in some form (partnership) seems the most likely, but not being able to pay the large sum because your cash is needed on a more important project make sense. It just sucks, big time if that’s the case.

There is zero chance in my opinion that EM is not gong to be able to fund his part of Lebreton (either alone or with a partner) he’s way too far along to be hiding a lack of funding capability. The other partners in the deal, the NCC, the city, all involved parties would have needed financial assurances from all parties long ago.

It all comes down to the same thing over and over; we wish our owner had more money, or had a successful business somewhere and that the team was just his beloved hobby.

Either way, I’m still of a mind that we’re in a holding pattern until a partnership deal is struck. Obviously this is wishful thinking as well. :)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
people are investing a lot of time and money to make Lebreton a reality

there would clearly be cash flow plans on the project and financing involved

I'm sorry Bert but if the man is publicly saying at this stage in the game that he has the funding to meet his piece then the odds that he doesn't are pretty slim. I know you hate him and all, and presumably with good reason, but your kind of wailing away at this point and imo making silly statements

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
you can't though, you can minimize it like they are trying to do - and sending out press releases that are "quotes" from Dorion (but clearly not actually his quotes)

I get it - he is horrendous at public speaking - but he has to speak to the media.

I'll still complain about how ****ty our GM is like many have and many will haha

Dorion seems to be almost redundant now.. What does he do that a good admin assistant couldn't... Melnyk moving into the front office seems to have been accompanied by putting the reigns on Dorion. Ahhh lemme check with Mr. Melnyk... Ahhh sorry we can't offer that over a long term deal.,. Oh ,,, just been informed the deal has to include you taking Bobby Ryan... All hockey decisions could run thru the Admin assistant as well.

Reactions: derriko

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
This roster has Ben Harpur and Max Mccormick on it.
They're better than Smith at this point. Hard to compare Harpur to him because of position, but he's still a legit prospect.

Mccormick vs Smith is easy. Max had two less goals in 38 less games. Smith is a bottom 6 guy who had an almost incredible -32 rating. Mccormick is pretty mediocre but at least he can skate at this level and play some PK. Smith can't and he was legitimately one of the worst players in the entire league last year. There's not really an argument. He was utterly useless and actively detrimental when on ice.

This is all before you even take into account their contracts.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I agree with the general sentiment in here that it's probably for the best that Dorion/Melnyk stay awa from microphones while we still have all this uncertainty around the team (and it's best players).

Just to play devil's advocate though, there's no way this radio silence is helping them sell any tickets for this upcoming year. And you'd think that would be a priority right now given the steep decline in season ticket sales/renewals.

I wouldn't mind hearing a few segments from Boucher.

How does he feel about the kids? What kind of tweaks is he looking at regarding the system? What about goaltending? Who looked good in the summer camp?

Boucher is a good speaker who has the ability to craft his responses in a way that may get some fans onboard.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
They're better than Smith at this point. Hard to compare Harpur to him because of position, but he's still a legit prospect.

Mccormick vs Smith is easy. Max had two less goals in 38 less games. Smith is a bottom 6 guy who had an almost incredible -32 rating. Mccormick is pretty mediocre but at least he can skate at this level and play some PK. Smith can't and he was legitimately one of the worst players in the entire league last year. There's not really an argument. He was utterly useless and actively detrimental when on ice.

It’s actually easily arguable. While Smith had a down year there’s nothing to suggest he won’t be able to enjoy a reasonable bounce back, especially considering he battled ogoing injuries. 10-15 goals with standard physical play and pk ability (I don’t think you can point the finger at him in terms of why it allowed so many goals last year moreso than anyone else who played on it) Also Mccormick is 25 years old and hasn’t played full time outside of a stretch toward the end of the season when everyone else was shipped out or injured. I’m no Smith advocate, I’m all for trading him in fact, for an experienced D man, but to make the comparison between him and Mccormick is foolish. One is an NHL player and the other is AHL/NHL tweener and will be for the remainder of his career. Not even close.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
It’s actually easily arguable. While Smith had a down year there’s nothing to suggest he won’t be able to enjoy a reasonable bounce back, especially considering he battled ogoing injuries. 10-15 goals with standard physical play and pk ability (I don’t think you can point the finger at him in terms of why it allowed so many goals last year moreso than anyone else who played on it) Also Mccormick is 25 years old and hasn’t played full time outside of a stretch toward the end of the season when everyone else was shipped out or injured. I’m no Smith advocate, I’m all for trading him in fact, for an experienced D man, but to make the comparison between him and Mccormick is foolish. One is an NHL player and the other is AHL/NHL tweener and will be for the remainder of his career. Not even close.

*correction - he’s 26 now.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
*correction - he’s 26 now.
And Smith is now 30. He's on the downside of his career. He's always been slow and now youth isn't on his side. There won't be a bounce back, he's just going to continue to be what he's been for a long time. 2016 was the outlier for Smith. Once he signed, he was as bad as he's been in 14-15 and 17-18.

Not trying to make McCormick sound like he's good or anything. He's a fourth liner who will get 7-8 goals and play some PK. That's better than what Smith is at this point and going forward. Like I said, he was legitimately one of the worst players in the entire league last year. McCormick is better than absolute worst.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Did you ever like Smith? At any point? Even if it was a slightly favourable opinion.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
And Smith is now 30. He's on the downside of his career. He's always been slow and now youth isn't on his side. There won't be a bounce back, he's just going to continue to be what he's been for a long time. 2016 was the outlier for Smith. Once he signed, he was as bad as he's been in 14-15 and 17-18.

Not trying to make McCormick sound like he's good or anything. He's a fourth liner who will get 7-8 goals and play some PK. That's better than what Smith is at this point and going forward. Like I said, he was legitimately one of the worst players in the entire league last year. McCormick is better than absolute worst.

Smith’s worst season is still better than anything McCormick has ever done or will do until proven otherwise.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Smith’s worst season is still better than anything McCormick has ever done or will do until proven otherwise.
McCormick was a more effective player last year than Smith. That's really all that matters. Getting caught dwelling on an irrelevant past is what's gotten the Sens into such a horrible position.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
McCormick was a more effective player last year than Smith. That's really all that matters. Getting caught dwelling on an irrelevant past is what's gotten the Sens into such a horrible position.

Wrong again. He simply was not. In any regard. And if you’re counting on McCormick being a regular next year as opposed to Smith yielding some type of marked improvement, it’s dillusional thinking at best. One is while a mediocre NHL player, is still an NHL player. The other is not, and should see nothing but spot duty at best in the case of being decimated by injuries, and even then, that spot should be reserved for one of the kids who hasn’t seen much time in the bigs yet at all.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Wrong again. He simply was not. In any regard. And if you’re counting on McCormick being a regular next year as opposed to Smith yielding some type of marked improvement, it’s dillusional thinking at best. One is while a mediocre NHL player, is still an NHL player. The other is not, and should see nothing but spot duty at best in the case of being decimated by injuries, and even then, that spot should be reserved for one of the kids who hasn’t seen much time in the bigs yet at all.
Oh I fully expect Smith to keep playing for our out of touch coach. He'll probably continue to get PP, PK and top 6 time too. He'll just be one of the worst in the league again given his deployment and opportunity being a liability in all situations. Boucher has shown us he has no interest in giving better players ice time over the ineffective Smith. Mccormick probably sees limited time and spot 4th line duty but will probably produce similar or better numbers in his small role again. One thing you can rely on Smith for is untimely and selfish penalties too. Look forward to more of that. He really is the type of player Dorion and Boucher deserve and cherish.

Reactions: FireDJ

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Should've traded Smith when we had the chance. Now we get to watch him play with one hand on his stick for the next 3 years because some genius decided to double his contract based off one decent year where Mark Stone carried his ass.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Oh I fully expect Smith to keep playing for our out of touch coach. He'll probably continue to get PP, PK and top 6 time too. He'll just be one of the worst in the league again given his deployment and opportunity being a liability in all situations. Boucher has shown us he has no interest in giving better players ice time over the ineffective Smith. Mccormick probably sees limited time and spot 4th line duty but will probably produce similar or better numbers in his small role again. One thing you can rely on Smith for is untimely and selfish penalties too. Look forward to more of that. He really is the type of player Dorion and Boucher deserve and cherish.

Given the influx of young players with the mandate to play them I highly doubt his deployment will mimic that of last season. I can guarantee he’ll be around 10 goals this coming year with an improved plus minus. Is he a power play liability due to a lack of hands? Yes. That experiment should have ended way sooner than it did. Is he on the pk? Not historically, and I’d argue he was no worse in terms of d zone coverage his past year than anyone else, and none of that really matters when you have Andersieve or Holey Condom backstopping you. Watching McCormick play full time last year would have been even uglier. His hockey IQ and play with the puck makes Smith look like a savant. And you want to talk about undisciplined penalties? Mad max is already making a name of his own in that regard with a much smaller sample size.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Should've traded Smith when we had the chance. Now we get to watch him play with one hand on his stick for the next 3 years because some genius decided to double his contract based off one decent year where Mark Stone carried his ass.

I proposed Smith for Gunnarson on the Blues board. Mixed responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad