Wolanin - Jaros
Englund - Bergman
Sieloff - Burgdoefer
Lajoie, Erkamps

Gustavsson
McKenna
Hogberg

????? = whichever of Carey/Paul/McCormick doesn't stick in Ottawa

We shouldn't add anyone else. Would just push one of our young players down the depth chart, just like Sieloff (who shouldn't have been re-signed) will do to Englund/Lajoie.

I would think Brown has a decent chance of making the team in Ottawa. Unless Dorion does something differently we don't have a 2nd line centre.

Some of those players I listed might be worth a camp invite as they are recent draft picks who have finished their ELC's. At least a few of them could still turn things around and maybe even become decent NHL players at some point. One player I am fascinated about is Hunter Smith. He is a big forward at 6'7 and 225 lbs. He was drafted as an overager where he put up 40 points in 64 games and then 11 points in 12 games in the playoffs. After he got drafted he followed up by putting up 49 points in 57 games played and 18 points in 21 games in the playoffs. He also played a nasty physical game. He looked like he could be something like Chara-lite but as a forward.

Big forwards take a while to develop so he could still be a work in progress. I am not sure what happened since he turned pro but he looks like Flames let him walk as a free agent. Are you familiar with his development so far and what he has struggled with and why the flames let him walk? Maybe he is worth another shot in Bellville.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Winnipeg in a crunch for sure. Morrissey they should be trying to lock up long term, won't give them much space I don't think but I'm not adding up the totals rn

Tremblay31

Jun 18, 2011
Germany
I don’t get Dorion’s plan to not tell anyone what the Sens intend on doing. I know he said it’s because he doesn’t want to tip his hand, but that doesn’t help sell tickets. The fans want to know what the plan is. Assuming there is one. It’s been deathly quiet all summer so far.

same feeling here ....

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Turris said there was never a 6 year offer on the table.

Yes, we know that, but Turris was asking for 6.5 x 6 from Ottawa, but eventually settled for 6 x 6 in Nashville, but I don't recall that Turris said Ottawa's counter was?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Dark days that. What did we finish that year? 1st overall in the standings?

That was in 2007 so we finished 4th in the East if I remember correctly. We traded Kaigarodov to Arizona for Comrie around January?

Unless I am getting mixed up in my "Russian prospects who never played for Ottawa" of course.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
That was in 2007 so we finished 4th in the East if I remember correctly. We traded Kaigarodov to Arizona for Comrie around January?

Unless I am getting mixed up in my "Russian prospects who never played for Ottawa" of course.

Nope, that’s correct. Kaigorodov didn’t play that much for us that year I don’t think. Or at least he didn’t get a lot of minutes. I seem to remember him being on the fourth line most of the time.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It was blatantly obvious that Dorion was using the unrealistic 5 year term to stall the Turris deal in order to buy time to consummate the Duchene trade. Whether he would have circled back and negotiated with Turris in good faith had a Duchene deal completely fallen through, I don't know. Turris' camp clearly knew what was going on since they tried to use pressure tactics and claimed they wouldn't negotiate a deal in season. They obviously changed their mind about that stance as Turris negotiated a deal with Nashville in order to facilitate a trade and end the entire ordeal.

The Senators digging in at 5 years with Turris' side also apparently never putting 6 years on the table is probably as healthy of an indication that we're going to get showing that one or both sides weren't attempting to participate in a proper negotiation.

We could not have fit Duchene in under our budget with Turris making 4.5M this past season. We would have had to make a series of trades to fit both players in during 16-17, let alone long term. Looking forward, it would have been unreasonable to expect us to fit Turris, Duchene, Stone, and Karlsson in under Melnyk's budget. Karlsson might end up traded to a different team in the short future, but I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect that Dorion would have been planning for a Karlsson trade in the summer of 2017 before the entire shit storm of our 2017-18 season kicked off. (Although one GM apparently did call him on Karlsson that summer.)

This does not mean that Turris would have signed a six year deal here, or that he would have signed as team friendly of a deal as he signed in Nashville here. Turris' contract with Nashville had no signing bonuses, no trade protection, and was on the low end for term and AAV for a 25 goal 55-65 point C who was previously playing 1st line minutes. Turris was in a position where because Dorion was never negotiating in good faith, if Turris wanted the upper end of his market value to stay in Ottawa, or wanted to leave entirely, we'll never know. This isn't to say Turris wanted to leave, but there'll never be an opportunity for him to look like the bad guy here because Dorion dumped him before he would have ever had the chance to dump us.

As far as "lol"gate goes. Which was Julie Turris replying "lol" to a Tweet reporting Pierre Dorion's statement that Mr.Melnyk does not make the hockey decisions. While it's been documented by those like Elliott Friedman that Melnyk is very hands on by the owner, we don't know the context of Melnyk's interference in a possible Turris extension. We also don't know the context of the inference to Kyle Turris (or his people) that ownership was preventing an extension. This makes it hard to evaluate the situation, because there are too many blank spaces. Was it direct interference with Melnyk specifically being unwilling to allow Dorion to commit long term to Kyle Turris? Or was it indirect, as in Dorion could not commit long term to Kyle Turris not because Melnyk's (at the time 68M) budget made Turris the odd man out if Dorion wanted to complete a transaction for Matt Duchene?

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Those were the good ol' days with Alfie still here and Melnyk being a franchise saviour as opposed to the cheap blood sucking staff tip stashing binge drinking fan donated new liver evil turn.

We made all those worst timeline jokes, little did we know. The only solution is to timeline-hop and hijack one of the better timelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad