Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018 | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
They are saying what people want to hear.

This fanbase seems to jerk off to the notion of how bad our management, how poor our owner is and how screwed the franchise is.

No one wants to hear about the possibility of a rebound. Too many people like you who have emotionally invested in hating almost everything about this team.
You must not be very familiar with Ian Mendes. That's not his schtick at all. We're just over a week away from Stone's arbitration date, its just a realistic scenario at this point. Almost all teams don't have guys who are this important to their team get this far. Most teams treat their stars like stars imo.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Just listening to TSN with Ian and Sean openly contemplating trading Mark Stone. This is where we're at. Trading our star 26 year old forward has become a real possiblity.
Lmao. If they say something that that doesn’t agree with you (not you specifically) they’re all idiots and just repoing Toronto.

When’s it’s sometning that fits the narrative all of a sudden what they say is a “real possibility”

Reactions: OgieO

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm of the opinion that some of the other top 10 ranked guys will challenge for the #1 spot in 2019. I don't think Hughes going 1 is absolutely set in stone yet. He probably still goes 1 but I think there will be a healthy debate like with Matthews and Laine but there will probably be 2-3 guys in contention. Right now a top 5 pick in 2019 is much more valuable to a rebuilding/basement team like the Sens than a 27 year old with one year on his contract. I'd easily trade Duchene straight up for Kakko or Turcotte for example right now.
That Newhook guy looks pretty good too.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You must not be very familiar with Ian Mendes. That's not his schtick at all. We're just over a week away from Stone's arbitration date, its just a realistic scenario at this point. Almost all teams don't have guys who are this important to their team get this far. Most teams treat their stars like stars imo.

Trading Stone is a realistic scenario because things may go down to the wire?

Like I said, you want to see this management group fail far more than anything.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Just listening to TSN with Ian and Sean openly contemplating trading Mark Stone. This is where we're at. Trading our star 26 year old forward has become a real possiblity.

If he ends up in arbitration he'll probably be traded before the end of next year.

All he'd have to do is spend 3/4 of the year as a Senator and then he'd get to be traded to a contender for a cup run and get to sign wherever he wants as a UFA, which probably means more money playing for a franchise that's not an outright ****show.

I'm far more invested in what happens with Stone than what happens with EK at this point, as Stone leaving might be the final straw for this franchise, as that would probably mean Duchene leaving as a UFA too. On the other hand, if Stone were to be re-signed long-term, that might mean Duchene sticking around as well.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Trading Stone is a realistic scenario because things may go down to the wire?

Like I said, you want to see this management group fail far more than anything.

If he goes to arbitration he becomes a UFA after next season, and I heard somewhere we wouldn't be able to officially negotiate an extension until 2019?

If he goes to arbitration, good chance he could jump ship after next season, which would mean we'd have to trade him at or before the deadline, as him walking as a UFA would be disastrous.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Imagine trading stone to Colorado for our 1st and our 3rd. :laugh:

I mean if we're talking about trading Stone at the deadline next year as a rental, getting a likely top 5 pick in return would be pretty decent.

If we're trading him to a team with an extension, I'd expect a lot more. Stone is one of the best wingers in the league and should return an absolute haul if he would agree to an extension with a team beforehand.

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
I'm of the opinion that some of the other top 10 ranked guys will challenge for the #1 spot in 2019. I don't think Hughes going 1 is absolutely set in stone yet. He probably still goes 1 but I think there will be a healthy debate like with Matthews and Laine but there will probably be 2-3 guys in contention. Right now a top 5 pick in 2019 is much more valuable to a rebuilding/basement team like the Sens than a 27 year old with one year on his contract. I'd easily trade Duchene straight up for Kakko or Turcotte for example right now.

Not to mention that dealing Turris alone directly to Nashville likely would have netted most of what COL received from NSH.

So in terms of assets retained/received, that would be something like:

OTT 1st + OTT 3rd + Bowers + NSH 2nd + Girard + Kamanev...

That’s a lot of lottery tickets.

Edit: meant to quote your other post but make the same point. Dorion obviously wasn’t going to deal the team’s 1C for picks/prospects though after being on the cusp of a SCF appearance. Still, these missed opportunities have put us in a nasty spot.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I've said it many times and it's my personal opinion, but I don't think there's any chance that Stone gets traded.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I mean if we're talking about trading Stone at the deadline next year as a rental, getting a likely top 5 pick in return would be pretty decent.

If we're trading him to a team with an extension, I'd expect a lot more. Stone is one of the best wingers in the league and should return an absolute haul if he would agree to an extension with a team beforehand.

Just the optics of effectively trading Stone and Turris and Bowers for Duchene would be bad , disgusting if he doesn't sign.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I've said it many times and it's my personal opinion, but I don't think there's any chance that Stone gets traded.

If he's intent on leaving as a UFA, which he could easily do just by going to arbitration, we wouldn't have much of a choice.

We better be offering him a boat load of cash to keep him in Ottawa. He's legitimately one of the best wingers in the league and deserves as much as 80M/8YRs. Plus we need to keep him if we want Duchene to stay as well.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Just the optics of effectively trading Stone and Turris and Bowers for Duchene would be bad , disgusting if he doesn't sign.

It would look even worse if Duchene doesn't re-sign. Would then be Stone, Turris and Bowers for whatever we could get for Duchene at the deadline. The kind of sequence of moves that puts a team in the basement for a decade.

If Karlsson and Stone are traded, why on earth would Duchene re-sign? We absolutely need to extend Stone for there to be any chance of re-signing Duchene.

Reactions: NyQuil

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
If he's intent on leaving as a UFA, which he could easily do just by going to arbitration, we wouldn't have much of a choice.

We better be offering him a boat load of cash to keep him in Ottawa. He's legitimately one of the best wingers in the league and deserves as much as 80M/8YRs. Plus we need to keep him if we want Duchene to stay as well.

He'll get paid and he'll stay.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
So if Stone takes his one year decision by the arbitrator, you think Eugene "other teams out gun us 5 to 1" Melnyk will pay Stone what he's worth on the unrestricted market?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, Dzingel, Chabot, White, Pageau are all gonna be gone. We will be left with Ceci, Boro and Smith. Delete your accounts now.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It would look even worse if Duchene doesn't re-sign. Would then be Stone, Turris and Bowers for whatever we could get for Duchene at the deadline. The kind of sequence of moves that puts a team in the basement for a decade.

If Karlsson and Stone are traded, why on earth would Duchene re-sign? We absolutely need to extend Stone for there to be any chance of re-signing Duchene.

IMO We realistically need all 3 of them to sign.. All three need to be here for the Sens to have a chance at being respectable. If Karlsson remains unsigned and Stone goes to arbitration and ends up on a 1 yr contract. I doubt Duchene re-signs.. Even if Ottawa is the first choice for all of them. Its a short enough career, they have a limited window to hit pay dirt, and winning or a reasonable chance to win (requiring trust) means a lot. The Sens should be buying in to all 3 of these players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad