Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018 | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Is a dislike of Tampa Bay fans on this site a valid enough reason to want to see Karlsson shipped elsewhere? :laugh:

Also this, since it's the latest

Reactions: NB613 and branch

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Is a dislike of Tampa Bay fans on this site a valid enough reason to want to see Karlsson shipped elsewhere? :laugh:

Also this, since it's the latest

Absolutely. Tampa is the one team in on Karlsson that I can't cheer for in good conscience. I don't even actively dislike them, but I just can't see myself ever cheering for them. Even with EK. Vegas, Dallas, sure! But not Tampa.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
I don't quite get why Yzerman is regarded as some genius. I mean, he's won zilch as a GM. There's absolutely pressure on him to get that team over the top. Tampa Fans acting as if he's a miracle worker is bizarre.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I don't quite get why Yzerman is regarded as some genius. I mean, he's won zilch as a GM. There's absolutely pressure on him to get that team over the top. Tampa Fans acting as if he's a miracle worker is bizarre.
He plays hardball, that's why he is revered. But I maintain that if he is too much of a stickler, to the point that he sabotages his own team's chance to improve, he will never acquire the piece(s) he needs to get over that hump.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
He's built a great team and generally fleeces anyone who does business with him and has kept all that home grown talent on team friendly deals. Genius might be a tad strong but I think in his short time in Tampa, he's earned the reputation of being one of the best managers in hockey.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Good ownership, great weather and low taxes. Quite a few GMs in the league could have just as much success in Tampa with those bonuses. Not saying Yzerman is a bad GM, but he has one hell of a lot of advantages where he is.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well he’s made some really nice trades that can’t be denied. And hes identified that they need a strong scouting group.

Tampa fans have completely bought in. I mean he said something along the lines of “its better to be good year after year thhan win a cup and go through cycles” and Tampa fans repeat that when it comes to giving up good players. Which I think is insane but whatever. But the fans are susceptible to that sort of thing, we’ve seen here plenty of times. They are a strange bunch

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Tampa failing to score in Game 6 and 7 of the conference finals was beautiful. Not going to cheer for any team other than ottawa, but I'll watch Karlsson (a lot) where ever he ends up.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Yzerman is has not proved he is a great GM.
He has not won a cup.
His scouting staff helped him build a solid team.
Half his team has a NTC or NMC.

Go back over his trade history and with the exception of 2 good ones, the rest have been average or bad.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh the one idiot Andre Roy,was dealt with ....The rest seem to be reasonable

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Former players seem to get extra credit when they transition into a front office role. Happens in all sports.

People loved Jason Kidd when he started coaching in the NBA. John Lynch was praised when the 49ers hired him. Sakic, Blake, Yzerman all are loved. Not saying they don't deserve it, but I have noticed htat former players get a boost instantly.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Tampa failing to score in Game 6 and 7 of the conference finals was beautiful. Not going to cheer for any team other than ottawa, but I'll watch Karlsson (a lot) where ever he ends up.
Absolutely
With all that firepower...
And WAS not being a overly defensive team...
Zero goal last 2 games...

They need to do something 4 sure

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Stevie Y has had advantages,but his run of golden fortune wont last forever....He knows he has to strike soon or he will be the one looking to deal expensive aging pieces,for pennies on the dollar

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Well he’s made some really nice trades that can’t be denied. And hes identified that they need a strong scouting group.

Tampa fans have completely bought in. I mean he said something along the lines of “its better to be good year after year thhan win a cup and go through cycles” and Tampa fans repeat that when it comes to giving up good players. Which I think is insane but whatever. But the fans are susceptible to that sort of thing, we’ve seen here plenty of times. They are a strange bunch

Yeah it almost seems like what we went through. We were one of the best teams in the NHL year in and year out, but could never quite make noise in the playoffs. We finally made it over the hump and into the finals, but yeah, there was definitely a different vibe around the team when we were challenging for the President's trophy every year.

Tampa has proven to be a good team, but they will eventually shift from that to the focus being not getting it done in the playoffs if they can't make some noise. St. Louis, Washington, and us are examples of a team that is really good that eventually pick up the label of playoff chokers. Couple solid runs here and there would combat that nicely.

I wonder if I'd prefer being a good team every year again, and struggling in the playoffs. We'd spend each deadline hoping our GM would acquire the player we needed to get over the hump, and have a ton of playoff frustration, but would the overall product be more enjoyable?

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah it almost seems like what we went through. We were one of the best teams in the NHL year in and year out, but could never quite make noise in the playoffs. We finally made it over the hump and into the finals, but yeah, there was definitely a different vibe around the team when we were challenging for the President's trophy every year.

Tampa has proven to be a good team, but they will eventually shift from that to the focus being not getting it done in the playoffs if they can't make some noise. St. Louis, Washington, and us are examples of a team that is really good that eventually pick up the table as playoff chokers. Couple solid runs here and there would combat that nicely.

I wonder if I'd prefer being a good team every year again, and struggling in the playoffs. We'd spend each deadline hoping our GM would acquire the player we needed to get over the hump, and have a ton of playoff frustration, but would the overall product be more enjoyable?
Pretty much, describes the fine line between winning and losing..You can win big or lose big,or just be stuck in the comfy middle...

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Tampa has proven to be a good team, but they will eventually shift from that to the focus being not getting it done in the playoffs if they can't make some noise. St. Louis, Washington, and us are examples of a team that is really good that eventually pick up the table as playoff chokers. Couple solid runs here and there would combat that nicely.

I would blow up the teams future now for a cup. I would gladly go through the cycles. The frustration of being good but not winning was tough. It wears on you.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Former players seem to get extra credit when they transition into a front office role. Happens in all sports.

People loved Jason Kidd when he started coaching in the NBA. John Lynch was praised when the 49ers hired him. Sakic, Blake, Yzerman all are loved. Not saying they don't deserve it, but I have noticed htat former players get a boost instantly.
Sakic wasn't liked by even Avs fans until the Duchene deal.

Yzerman has just done an amazing job. Just because he doesn't have a ring yet, it doesn't take away from the huge turnaround he created. Even looking past the current young core, the Bolts seem to be drafting bluechippers every year.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
That Callahan contract alone precludes him from being a genius. Inheriting a team with Stamkos and Hedman, doesn't take a genius. But he definitely is one of the better managers in the game. However, like so many things these days, he seems to be quite overrated.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
SY has done some great things with contract numbers,but it comes at a price...Everyone of his players that have taken discounts,has a NMC...Which means he will likely be forced into losing huge value,if he should ever need to move any of them

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I would blow up the teams future now for a cup. I would gladly go through the cycles. The frustration of being good but not winning was tough. It wears on you.

Oh man, year after year with the absolute wrong players picked up that deadline. All those losses to the leafs, but were we ever a good regular season team.

I think I'd also enjoy more of a cycle as it comes with excitement and hope, as well as high potential players developing right in front of your eyes.

We'd need to have the funding available to allow us to hope though, otherwise you end up like Arizona, trying to find excitement in a perpetual cap floor team (or like us?).

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Sakic wasn't liked by even Avs fans until the Duchene deal.

Yzerman has just done an amazing job. Just because he doesn't have a ring yet, it doesn't take away from the huge turnaround he created. Even looking past the current young core, the Bolts seem to be drafting bluechippers every year.

Well he was also the GM when they tanked a few years ago. As usual, drafting is key, their home grown players are what's making the team good. Stevie is having a hell of a problem getting EK, who would probably be the player that would push them into that next level.

We've seen that EK is a playoff warrior, as opposed to Stamkos (a little harsh but eh..), seems like a no brainer, especially for Serg, and some futures. they would essentially be adding a player of EK to their roster and losing next to nothing (EK being a massive upgrade on Serg anyways). This should be a done deal already, but seems like SY perhaps can't get out of his own way.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Also, it sure doesn't hurt SY that his team is located in a no-tax state. Dollars make for good selling points.

Edit: if Ottawa was located in the best tax scenario for players, lots of folks would be lining up to play here even under current ownership. Money talks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad