Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018 | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Its possible they want a deal in place in case negotiations go poorly.

I don't really get how negotiations would go poorly with Stone he's our best forward and one of the best forwards in the league.... You sign him and that's it ffs

Reactions: bert

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Is Friendman even an insider anymore? Seems like he's just a professional speculator.

I agree with this. Friedman used to be one of the top guys, one you'd pay attention to but something has been off with him over the last year or longer. He still has a big following though so when he "speculates" it gets put out there as gospel. But he hasn't seemed to be any kind of insider for awhile now.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I saw someone post the underlying stats pre/post Turris trade and its night and day. Like we were top 5 scoring chances against defensively iirc. Still not sure how it fell apart so badly.

People keep forgetting the Avs wanted Duchene out of their room for 2 seasons. Whatever was going on in that room to disrupt them looks like it's now with Ottawa. Not saying everything is on him, as the Hoffman and Melynk issues were causing some problems...but we can't ignore the elephant in the room, either.

Reactions: bert

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I agree with this. Friedman used to be one of the top guys, one you'd pay attention to but something has been off with him over the last year or longer. He still has a big following though so when he "speculates" it gets put out there as gospel. But he hasn't seemed to be any kind of insider for awhile now.
He's a great insider that clearly has many connections, it's when he puts out his own thoughts, which has been happening more often, that are awful.

When he says "he's hearing" or "sources are telling me", you should listen as it's proven to be concrete. When he's giving his own thoughts and speculations, you can omit everything.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
He's a great insider that clearly has many connections, it's when he puts out his own thoughts, which has been happening more often, that are awful.

When he says "he's hearing" or "sources are telling me", you should listen as it's proven to be concrete. When he's giving his own thoughts and speculations, you can omit everything.

We're kind of saying the same thing but Friedman hasn't quoted sources in what seems a very long time. It must be tough to stay at the top of that profession consistently, only a select few have managed it over the years. I guess if you lose one or two of your key sources as an insider it would be devastating. Twitter has demanded that these guys provide continuous information and almost all are full of crap these days.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018

Actually, what Friedman said was: "I think Vegas might have more interest in "a" Mark Stone as opposed to necessarily "a" Karlsson" - huge difference, in my opinion, on the wording and meaning here. To me it sounds more as in Vegas might have more interest in acquiring a player in that position and skill and not necessarily in reference to those particular players.

Also, in this entire interview, Friedman started most of his sentences with "I think".... There's nothing here.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
We had the luckiest route possible in the playoffs while overachieving, we lost our #2 D prior to the season starting. As good as that run to the ECF was, it has played a gigantic part in the over-rating of the team that has it where it is now.

methot is not a #2 d man just because he played with karlsson. and everyone here was convinced that claesson/oduya/harpur will filling his absence fine at that time. it wasn't till we started losing that people starting coming to that conclusion out of nowhere. methot was replaceable and if you think that's what dropped us from a middle of the pack team to a bottom feeder and not goaltending dropping 20 points idk what to tell u

Reactions: Ed Wood

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
methot is not a #2 d man just because he played with karlsson. and everyone here was convinced that claesson/oduya/harpur will filling his absence fine at that time. it wasn't till we started losing that people starting coming to that conclusion
I definitely was not convinced they could fill Methot's shoes. At least a few others were not as well.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I definitely was not convinced they could fill Methot's shoes. At least a few others were not as well.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure most were upset that we lost Karlsson's partner without any attempt at a capable replacement.

I thought we were a bubble team with Methot, losing him for nothing and I thought we were a bubble team at best.

I wasn't surprised at last years results whatsoever, was definitely more drastic than I predicted though.

Reactions: Anaxagoras

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I saw someone post the underlying stats pre/post Turris trade and its night and day. Like we were top 5 scoring chances against defensively iirc. Still not sure how it fell apart so badly.
Pretty obvious the dressing room was rocked by 3 things. First was the trade of Turris, this showed a lack of commitment to the established stars on the team. With so many important contracts on the team coming i think it seriously shook the room. Chemistry in a dressing room is very important this obviously rattled it. Next thing that happened was Karlsson came back too early, really not sure whos fault this is exactly but this was very stupid. More negative energy around the team as i think Karlsson was disgruntled. Then the obvious happened the internal issues with the Hoffman and the Karlssons.

Ultimately the GM and owner have disrupted the group and specifially the GM has no pulse on this team. He doesnt get it because frankly he's ever been there. Never played hockey, is not a hockey guy and doesnt get how a room works or how players tick. Great scout terrible terrible executive. So if people are wondering where everything went off the rails thats what happened. It was not a talent issue it was a team issue. That is now irreplably damaged. Which is why we see the Karlsson trade rumors. Management is blaming their blunders on him and think removing him from the situation is the solution. When really its the opposite Management and Ownership got us all into this mess they are the problem. Not the best player in franchise history and captain of the team.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
methot is not a #2 d man just because he played with karlsson. and everyone here was convinced that claesson/oduya/harpur will filling his absence fine at that time. it wasn't till we started losing that people starting coming to that conclusion out of nowhere. methot was replaceable and if you think that's what dropped us from a middle of the pack team to a bottom feeder and not goaltending dropping 20 points idk what to tell u
Yea, I think losing OUR #2 D man coupled with the team coming back to the normal distribution rather than being a huge outlier helped drop us, which was very predictable.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

So who was our #2 then?

ThreePosts

Jun 21, 2018
I definitely agree goaltending was our major flaw last season. Everything else was contributory, but there were a lot of other contributions to the drop off.

But no, I also definitely did NOT think Claesson/Oduya/Harper could replace Methot over the course of a full season - for a short sprint maybe, but not over the season.

And as far as Methot not being a #2 d man, I strongly disagree - and his performance during the playoff run, especially matched up against Crosby, says otherwise imo.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
To interject on the Methot talks..

Methot is elite level physical shut down defenceman. Paired with the right individual he is a #2 D, but typically is a 4/5.

I also like to think of the situation we could be in if we traded our 1st to protect Methot. The odds of us having our disaterous season were just as high with him imo.

We'd have Turris over Duchene (yikes), 5 million in salary on a d man that is very injury prone and we would have watched Vegas select Tkachuck while telling ourselves Bowers is on the same level...

This was a "bad" season to put it mildly, but we acquired a franchise 1C and drafted the 2nd/3rd best prospect in the entire draft. We also had a great draft in general and a ton of our prospects look like they developed the right direction. Our owner who we all dislike is rumoured to be in negotiations to sell and we have a concrete commitment on a new barn downtown.

^I would have accepted 81 losses to achieve all that in a single season.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Yikes! That is a helluva lot more than he deserves at this point in his career.

I’d pay that everyday and twice on Sunday.

23 years old, super athletic, physical, has a mean streak, can PP and PK, and just put up 50 points.

I understand he makes some boneheaded mistakes, but maybe those can be ironed out. Even if he never improves on his 50 point production, he’s a great #3 with a chance to be a top pair guy.

Reactions: Boud

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Phaneuf was not mobile enough to be a true #2.. Phaneuf was no more than a 2nd pair guy who could have benefited being paired with a PMD. Ceci's game was not helped being paired with Phaneuf either; it would have been helped more being paired with Methot. At least Ceci could throw it in his corner with a hope that he could get there and make a play. IMO Methot was the 2nd best D man on the team. I also think that if I am putting a shut down pair together and Ceci .. for whatever reason has to be on that pair, Methot would be better than Phaneuf in that role. Sens really did not have a true #2 D.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Phaneuf was not mobile enough to be a true #2.. Phaneuf was no more than a 2nd pair guy who could have benefited being paired with a PMD. Ceci's game was not helped being paired with Phaneuf either; it would have been helped more being paired with Methot. At least Ceci could throw it in his corner with a hope that he could get there and make a play. IMO Methot was the 2nd best D man on the team. I also think that if I am putting a shut down pair together and Ceci .. for whatever reason has to be on that pair, Methot would be better than Phaneuf in that role. Sens really did not have a true #2 D.

Phaneuf or Ceci were the #2D, not Methot.

Methot was simply paired with our #1D, but the other two played in all situations and had more average TOI. Phaneuf played PP too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad