Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018 | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
To be fair to Dorion, we kept on rolling at the start of the season. We were looking like we could be a top 3 team in our division until the Sweden trip.

Duchene was supposed to improve an already good team and the 1st was projected to be in the 20's.
Because we Boucher'd our way to loser points.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
True. On Nov 1st we were 5-2-5.

I saw someone post the underlying stats pre/post Turris trade and its night and day. Like we were top 5 scoring chances against defensively iirc. Still not sure how it fell apart so badly.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Oddly, the team was 3-0-2 before Karlsson started his season on Oct. 17th against Vancouver.
3 of those games were knuckle dragged to a shootout. When 6 of your 1st 11 games of the year (the teams best point stretch) are brought to a SO (4) or OT (2), using the pointsor points % as a baramoter isn't very smart.

Not saying you were.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
3 of those games were knuckle dragged to a shootout.

And the other 2 games the Senators absolutely dominated their opposition.

When 6 of your 1st 11 games of the year (the teams best point stretch) are brought to a SO (4) or OT (2), using the pointsor points % as a baramoter isn't very smart.

What sort of results should we have been expecting when the player who most feel is the sole reason for any success the Senators have had in the past few seasons is either out of the lineup or playing at a fraction of their ability? If anything they should have had more points since they went 1-5 in extra time. A little more luck and they'd have been 3-3 in extra time.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I agree that the points total overstated our performance up to Sweden... BUT I don't think it would have been unreasonable for PD to think that, with EK rounding into form after injury, upgrading the #1C position would have done anything but make us a better team. I kinda thought it would make us a playoff team. We played fairly well early on, I thought we'd look a lot better when EK regained form. Adding Duchene seemed like a pretty big improvement on top of that. Obviously, the team tanked but it was a drop that seems unlikely looking back. We played much worse after Sweden, the underlying #'s show that. Something happened.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
And the other 2 games the Senators absolutely dominated their opposition.

What sort of results should we have been expecting when the player who most feel is the sole reason for any success the Senators have had in the past few seasons is either out of the lineup or playing at a fraction of their ability? If anything they should have had more points since they went 1-5 in extra time. A little more luck and they'd have been 3-3 in extra time.
Sure, point remains the same, unless you felt the Sens actually were contenders? In that case, yeah maybe the Duchene trade made sense

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I agree that the points total overstated our performance up to Sweden... BUT I don't think it would have been unreasonable for PD to think that, with EK rounding into form after injury, upgrading the #1C position would have done anything but make us a better team. I kinda thought it would make us a playoff team. We played fairly well early on, I thought we'd look a lot better when EK regained form. Adding Duchene seemed like a pretty big improvement on top of that. Obviously, the team tanked but it was a drop that seems unlikely looking back. We played much worse after Sweden, the underlying #'s show that. Something happened.

Supposedly this is when the cyberbullying began.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Day 20... King Erik still on the Sens roster.

I’ll be optimistic for the next month or so, after that it’s doom and gloom most likely.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
EK not rounding in to form until we were well out of it and not having any remotely capable partners was a big reason the season played out as it did. We were treading water until he came back and that plus Duchene was supposed to elevate us but Duchene was snake bitten and our top D pair was a mess.

I think it was more of a mistake to not find EK a competent d partner to not only fill the role as #2 D but also insulate against Karlsson taking time to ease in than it was to seek out an upgrade on Turris.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The draft pick will sting, that's the issue with the Duchene trade. Duchene is quite a bit better than Turris. I liked Turris, he is a great player but there is a clear separation between he and Duchene. Bowers is s good prospect but shows nothing at this point to say he won't easily be replaced by other assets in our system. He was redundant. A good prospect, but not a great one. Could be wrong though. Had the rest of the deal been a 2nd or a top 15 protected pick, then I think we win that deal hands down. But the first as it stands right now... could be a disaster.

I'm in the camp of not crying over spilled milk, because first of all, there's no need to spill the milk today, a little less than a year when we'll actually know where Colorado's pick (acquired from Ottawa) ends up, after the lotteries are done, prior to the Draft.

Let's wait and see if the Senators actually miss the playoffs, and wait for the lotteries if they do, and then spill the milk, and have good cry if the pick is high enough to acquire a prospect than looks to be better than this year's 4th.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I really don't think the team is being "tight-lipped", Garrioch is on vacation and the organization seems to have put a gag order on TSN1200. I would assume that as soon as Garrioch returns from his time off, more leaks will come.

Garrioch had a column in today's Sun ......... so don't know that he's on vacation, could be, but still filed this story.

Mike Hoffman’s fiancée, Monika Caryk, strikes back against cyberbullying allegations

BTW, was wondering what "organization" you think has put a "gag order" on TSN 1200?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So we were one game over .500. That's not good enough

With the loser point, you have to take it as a tie, in terms of "games", if you're going to say "games over .500 ........ which the NHL stopped using when they got rid of ties, and brought in OT, and switched to P%.

So three wins, no losses, and two (loser) points .... which would have been a ties, before OT and the SO.

That would have been three wins and two ties.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Garrioch had a column in today's Sun ......... so don't know that he's on vacation, could be, but still filed this story.

Mike Hoffman’s fiancée, Monika Caryk, strikes back against cyberbullying allegations

BTW, was wondering what "organization" you think has put a "gag order" on TSN 1200?
Probably a reference to the team (management, coaching staff & scouting staff) not doing their yearly pre and post interviews of the year end/draft/free agency with TSN 1200. Its been silence compared to every other year. Even player interviews seem harder to come by than years prior.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I just listened to that video. Just a lot of speculation and thinking (aka guessing) by Friedman. He appears to have no inside information whatsoever on what the Senators or Karlsson want to do, nor on what other teams might have offered or want to offer for Karlsson. Much ado about nothing.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I just listened to that video. Just a lot of speculation and thinking (aka guessing) by Friedman. He appears to have no inside information whatsoever on what the Senators or Karlsson want to do, nor on what other teams might have offered or want to offer for Karlsson. Much ado about nothing.
Is Friendman even an insider anymore? Seems like he's just a professional speculator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad