Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Proposal: - Edmonton-Ottawa

Unless I am reading wrong, #boardinsider on the main boards claiming we've been in on Lucic with Puljujarvi as a sweetener. He goes into more detail. Obviously huge grain of salt. Says Lucic is willing to come to Ottawa.

He later makes some proposals, but it seems like those are just his proposals based around what he claims to have heard.

Have to imagine it would be a Lucic/Ryan swap with us getting assets due to Ryan's lesser term. I can't see us taking Lucic straight up. Too much cash.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Proposal: - Edmonton-Ottawa

Unless I am reading wrong, #boardinsider on the main boards claiming we've been in on Lucic with Puljujarvi as a sweetener. He goes into more detail. Obviously huge grain of salt. Says Lucic is willing to come to Ottawa.

He later makes some proposals, but it seems like those are just his proposals based around what he claims to have heard.

Have to imagine it would be a Lucic/Ryan swap with us getting assets due to Ryan's lesser term. I can't see us taking Lucic straight up. Too much cash.
That 1st of theirs Pul and Lucic... For Clb 1st and Ryan is what I would want,we just take on too much risk and term on players that really havent shown much ...

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Puljujarvi is waiver-eligible so we'd be spending assets in order to put him in the NHL and potentially block one of our own prospects.

The guy had double hip surgery, has very low IQ and played for the soul-sucking Oilers. I'd take my chances with the picks and let our own prospects filter up to the NHL

on the other end, how many of our propsects are ready to make the jump and how many do we want to actually make the jump. Are we looking to potentially hand spots out or maybe rush them or are we looking to make them earn the spots

if we did the logical minimum and just resigned white, thats just 8 forwards under contract. do we want to promote 3-5 rookies next year?

now obviously if we could get someone better than poolparty, someone that is less of a risk and that doesnt make that much money im all for it. That being said if poolparty can be had for cheap and it allows us to season our actual prospects a bit more then it is a very low risk situation imo

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If we trade for Pulj he should be guaranteed a spot in the NHL.

We have an abundance of room, put him in a place to succeed and let him develop. If he doesn't, not a big deal, we have so many picks in the next 3 drafts it's foolish.

Worst case, we wasted one of our dozen 2nd/3rd round picks, best case, he develops into an NHL player, even if he doesn't reach his pre-draft potential.

The tools are all there, and I think he has a decent enough toolbox, he isn't a complete tools/no toolbox player, from what I have seen. He just needs a place to grow that isn't Edmonton.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Kind of ech'ing the last couple of posts, but we definitely should have room for Puljujarvi next year, it would be more a case of the cost potentially being prohibitive. If we could get him for a Filatov-like price (#66 overall) I'd be all for it. Not sure the Oilers have any reason to sell THAT low yet unless those KHL rumours have legs.

I definitely wouldn't move #32 though, and the same could probably be said for #44.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Lucic would he such a Dorion player. In the long history of negative production ala Burrows, Smith, Borowiecki etc. The nth coming of useless.

It would be funny to have all those guys on the ice for the year and still finish last and have the usual suspects say we're bad because we lack size and toughness.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
If we trade for Pulj he should be guaranteed a spot in the NHL.

We have an abundance of room, put him in a place to succeed and let him develop. If he doesn't, not a big deal, we have so many picks in the next 3 drafts it's foolish.

Worst case, we wasted one of our dozen 2nd/3rd round picks, best case, he develops into an NHL player, even if he doesn't reach his pre-draft potential.

The tools are all there, and I think he has a decent enough toolbox, he isn't a complete tools/no toolbox player, from what I have seen. He just needs a place to grow that isn't Edmonton.

Good points, we may just be the ideal NHL team to take a chance on Puljujarvi with the least negative repercussions should it not work out. Add in the fact we need to add salary and Edmonton needs to get rid of salary and I could see something getting done there.

Haven't been a fan of Puljujarvi and what he's shown so far. But that's from the perspective of him being a 4th overall pick. If we're comparing someone like Puljujarvi to Chlapik, well Puljujarvi is already better and has way more potential upside. I think anyone is kidding themselves if they don't think the price for Puljujarvi isn't at the absolute least a 2nd rounder and a very high one at that. You just have to hope after a trade he'd be more Kyle Turris and less Griffin Reinhart.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
If a Lucic for Ryan swap happens after they're paid their bonuses (3 mil and 2 mil respectively) Ottawa saves 4.5 mil in real dollars, spread over one extra year of commitment to Lucic.

If Edmonton eats a million or more I could see Melynk jumping at over 8.5 million in savings. An asset on top would be gravy.

Makes sense to me.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
If a Lucic for Ryan swap happens after they're paid their bonuses (3 mil and 2 mil respectively) Ottawa saves 4.5 mil in real dollars, spread over one extra year of commitment to Lucic.

If Edmonton eats a million or more I could see Melynk jumping at over 8.5 million in savings. An asset on top would be gravy.

Makes sense to me.

Lucic has a full NMC, which means he need to be protected in the upcoming expansion draft. He's also a worse player than Ryan. I don't care about the money.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Lucic has a full NMC, which means he need to be protected in the upcoming expansion draft. He's also a worse player than Ryan. I don't care about the money.

That's because you're not the one cutting the cheque. If the Senators didn't care about money they'd be a playoff team.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
That's because you're not the one cutting the cheque. If the Senators didn't care about money they'd be a playoff team.

No, I'm not cutting the cheque but that's not my job. If I'm an NHL owner and I can't afford an extra million dollars to keep the team from getting worse, I'd sell the team because I would clearly not have the resources for the position.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Haven't we been tortured enough as Sens fans?

An asset or two would be nice, but I'm not sure it's worth being subjected to watching the plug that is Milan Lucic.

Reactions: NB613

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
No, I'm not cutting the cheque but that's not my job. If I'm an NHL owner and I can't afford an extra million dollars to keep the team from getting worse, I'd sell the team because I would clearly not have the resources for the position.

Well no use speculating about Senators decisions without factoring in the Melynk issue.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa

Well you are a rational person, our owner is not.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I think Lucic would be a more useful player to a rebuild than Bobby. Like they both stink but at least Lucic can stick up for the rookies and stuff.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Ryan has a ten team NTC and Lucic has a full NMC.

Id be stunned if either or even both would waive.

Not buying the validity to this blockbuster.

I do buy that we are interested in Puljujarvi. Maybe if that guy is connected he is hearing what the Oilers are pushing who knows

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I don't see any value in Lucic as a protector/deterrent or a player.

First of all - who is he protecting us from? Fighting in the NHL is at a near all-time low. Half the teams in the league had 15 or fewer fighting majors last season, and only three teams eclipsed 20 fights - Ottawa being one of them! The days of Colton Orr, Frazer McLaren, Georges Laraque, Steve MacIntyre, etc. playing in our division are long gone. A heavyweight fighter is not needed. You need your entire team to play hard, not some thug sitting on the end of bench that you send out for 4 minutes a game to have some pre-arranged fight for no discernible reason. Also - what does it say about the likes of Borowiecki, Harpur and Smith if we need yet another fighter? Why do we have these players if they aren't doing their jobs?

Second - Lucic comes with a whole other boatload of negativity. He has a NMC which dictates that he must be protected in the Seattle expansion draft. His contract is bonus heavy with 11.5M of the 19M he's owed coming in bonus payments. He's probably an even worse player than Bobby Ryan which is saying something.

The sweetener to take this guy would have to be so incredible that it would make the deal unpalatable to the Oilers. Jesse Puljujarvi doesn't even begin to move the needle for me.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Lucic... He has a NMC which dictates that he must be protected in the Seattle expansion draft.

Technically, he would have to waive his NMC in order for any trade to go through, in which case under league rules, it is entirely up to the team acquiring him if they elect to honour that clause going forward or not. If the acquiring team chooses not to honour it once it has been waived, then the clause is dead. In such a scenario, Lucic wouldn't be forced on a team's expansion draft protection list.

Now, whether or not Lucic would waive his NMC without a guarantee the acquiring team would honour it is a whole other can of beans, but on paper there's at least precedent that acquiring Lucic wouldn't force us to protect him.

Reactions: NB613

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Technically, he would have to waive his NMC in order for any trade to go through, in which case under league rules, it is entirely up to the team acquiring him if they elect to honour that clause going forward or not. If the acquiring team chooses not to honour it once it has been waived, then the clause is dead. In such a scenario, Lucic wouldn't be forced on a team's expansion draft protection list.

Now, whether or not Lucic would waive his NMC without a guarantee the acquiring team would honour it is a whole other can of beans, but on paper there's at least precedent that acquiring Lucic wouldn't force us to protect him.

I thought the whole "acquiring team decides to honour or not" was only if a clause negotiated with the previous team has not kicked in at the time of the trade?

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Ryan has a ten team NTC and Lucic has a full NMC.

Id be stunned if either or even both would waive.

Not buying the validity to this blockbuster.

Ryan gets a chance to play with McDavid and probably a better chance at playoff hockey in the near future. Lucic is a whipping boy who might be happy just to get out of Dodge. I could see both of them being willing to waive.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If we were to make a Ryan-Lucic swap, I would be livid if all we got was Pool Party. Dude is practically a bust at this point. Hell, we'd be doing the OIlers 2 favors by ridding them of two players they don't want, and gifting them a better player in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce