Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
"I heard San Jose is still making a big run to re-sign Erik Karlsson - someone said to me that's not over."

Elliotte Friedman on this week's 31 Thoughts podcast. He said that in response to Jeff Marek speculating about the Canucks and how they could go big name hunting for a defender.

Relevant to us because it could net us San Jose's 2021 1st round pick unprotected if Karlsson re-signs (and) they make the cup final this year. They are six wins away from doing that and have a chance to go up 3-2 over Colorado tonight.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
"I heard San Jose is still making a big run to re-sign Erik Karlsson - someone said to me that's not over."

Elliotte Friedman on this week's 31 Thoughts podcast. He said that in response to Jeff Marek speculating about the Canucks and how they could go big name hunting for a defender.

Relevant to us because it could net us San Jose's 2021 1st round pick unprotected if Karlsson re-signs (and) they make the cup final this year. They are six wins away from doing that and have a chance to go up 3-2 over Colorado tonight.

as in tomorrow's tonight.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Leaf trying to low ball Marner will be a very fun development to watch this summer. Good on him for not taking a hometown discount.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Leaf trying to low ball Marner will be a very fun development to watch this summer. Good on him for not taking a hometown discount.

the Marner camp so far ahead of this, they’ve played T.O. Textbook.

One worry about this Leaves team is no one is willing to take a discount besides Kadri, and he’s the one most likely to be traded.

They’ll never win with the pay me attitude, your top players have to be on discounted contracts or take discounts if you want to win.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast

One worry about this Leaves team is no one is willing to take a discount besides Kadri, and he’s the one most likely to be traded.

They’ll never win with the pay me attitude, your top players have to be on discounted contracts or take discounts if you want to win.
dislike

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Who would take a discount to play for the richest team in the NHL?

They have the money and have a kid as GM. If I'm an agent, I am milking Toronto for every last drop.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I am sure you accepted the first lowball offer made by your current employer.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I wonder if the Sens should poke the bear and offer sheet Kapanen or Johnsson they can offer up to 4.2 and only have to give up a 2nd.
Teams with money should be able to pick at the Sens as well... Offer Wolanin 3 years at 2 mil per ... Sens don't match the cost is a 3rd ; Offer White 3.5-4.2 costs a 2nd if the Sens don't match.. other guys coming soon. Sens should try to get Chabot locked up .. If I'm Chabot I'd ask for 7 minimum and no more than 5 years.

Dorion really needs help. More than Melnyk realizes.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I wonder if the Sens should poke the bear and offer sheet Kapanen or Johnsson they can offer up to 4.2 and only have to give up a 2nd.
Teams with money should be able to pick at the Sens as well... Offer Wolanin 3 years at 2 mil per ... Sens don't match the cost is a 3rd ; Offer White 3.5-4.2 costs a 2nd if the Sens don't match.. other guys coming soon. Sens should try to get Chabot locked up .. If I'm Chabot I'd ask for 7 minimum and no more than 5 years.

That blows so much. Those numbers have Goodbye Colin White, Christian Wolanin and Hotsam Batcho all over it.

Reactions: NB613

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
That blows so much. Those numbers have Goodbye Colin White, Christian Wolanin and Hotsam Batcho all over it.
Ottawa has so much cap space right now i doubt we dont match those offers. The only possibility i could see is if a team offer sheets Chabot with a front loaded cap hit that Melnyk couldnt afford because of cash flow problems. Personally im not worried about an offer sheet.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Rich teams can force poorer teams into roster decisions they don't necessarily want to make as well. Like offer sheeting rfas the team really isn't certain on, forcing their hand to give them one ways for more term than they want to. The Rich team takes a chance and it costs them a 3rd to do so. If they make a mistake .,, trade them or waive them.. someone else can pick up the contract or they can bury with no big issue.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Ottawa has so much cap space right now i doubt we dont match those offers. The only possibility i could see is if a team offer sheets Chabot with a front loaded cap hit that Melnyk couldnt afford because of cash flow problems. Personally im not worried about an offer sheet.

Well based on those number from SoA via Gord, a team could offer white 4.25x7 heavily front loaded (8 million first year, 7 second) and only give up a 2nd.

Does Melnyk think White is a 15 million dollar part of this rebuild?

Or Wolanin getting 2.1x3 with 4 million up front. Only costs a 3rd. How do you not offer that?

Reactions: bert and NB613

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
They can't offersheet Chabot now. There is still a year in between. That's why the Sens should be trying to lock him up early.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Rich teams can force poorer teams into roster decisions they don't necessarily want to make as well. Like offer sheeting rfas the team really isn't certain on, forcing their hand to give them one ways for more term than they want to. The Rich team takes a chance and it costs them a 3rd to do so. If they make a mistake .,, trade them or waive them.. someone else can pick up the contract or they can bury with no big issue.

You hope for larger compensation, smaller numbers because of the increase in cap, the addition of young expansion teams and the seemingly league wide desire for younger players but here we are.

I’m running out of things that buckle up!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

You can have all the cap space in the world, and it won't mean a lick if the owner doesn't want to spend money.

Reactions: Cosmix

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Dorion really needs help. More than Melnyk realizes.

It's not a good idea to get into the offer sheet game as the Sens. We are very vulnerable ourselves. We don't need to be giving GMs extra incentive for retribution.

I think the Leafs might trade one of their RFA forwards at the draft if they get a deal done with Marner. Better to deal Kapanen for picks at the draft than risk getting a 2nd for him.

If it is true Marner is gone if he doesn't take their offer, it won't matter if teams offer sheet Kapanen, the Leafs will probably be able to match anything reasonable.

Worst case Ontario would be Leafs dealing Marner for futures (Hughes or Kakko?) and then signing Karlsson with that cash, who goes there because his wife wants to be near Ottawa and the Canadiens stink. Yuck.

Joider

Aug 13, 2012
Ottawa
It's not a good idea to get into the offer sheet game as the Sens. We are very vulnerable ourselves. We don't need to be giving GMs extra incentive for retribution.

I think the Leafs might trade one of their RFA forwards at the draft if they get a deal done with Marner. Better to deal Kapanen for picks at the draft than risk getting a 2nd for him.

If it is true Marner is gone if he doesn't take their offer, it won't matter if teams offer sheet Kapanen, the Leafs will probably be able to match anything reasonable.

Worst case Ontario would be Leafs dealing Marner for futures (Hughes or Kakko?) and then signing Karlsson with that cash, who goes there because his wife wants to be near Ottawa and the Canadiens stink. Yuck.

Even though Chabot and Wolanin are definitely vulnerable, I thought you mentioned that White couldn't be offersheeted? Is that still the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad