Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Martin Jones is a waste of money they say... lol

Where were you with this take when Jones was playing so badly that he was arguably the main reason why San Jose lost 3 games in this series already?

Almost every goalie in the NHL can steal a game once. Value in this league is based on consistency.

I mean, good for Jones. It was a great game. One great game is not some kind of redemption for him, though.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
When the Sens traded for Craig Anderson he was coming off a .897sv% season... bad years happen?

Reactions: NB613

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
They should probably add something here. Smith only has a couple years left while Scheifele has 5. A lot of risk here with the term ... Would need to add Roslovic to make it work.
Roslovic?! The guy the jets wouldn’t give up for Mark stone?! Are you crazy

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
When the Sens traded for Craig Anderson he was coming off a .897sv% season... bad years happen?

Context is completely different.

Anderson was a UFA. If things didn't work out, the Senators could have just walked away from him. They didn't give up any picks or prospects for him. It was Elliott for Anderson change of scenery.

The argument that Jones has no value is based on his contract. If Jones was a UFA this off season, he'd have significant interest on a 1-2 year type deal. He's got 5 years left at high end starting goalie money. (He's got the 12th highest goalie cap hit in the entire league, very close to the top 10.)

It's entirely plausible he just had one bad season, but teams are adverse to taking on a big contract like that if there's considered to be risk. Teams would be taking a goalie coming off of a bad season, who has played in one very goalie friendly system in LA, and has only started in San Jose, placing him in a foreign system, and hoping they didn't just take on one of the highest goalie contracts in the league for nothing.

Also, it's been one good game. If he comes back and is lights out like this for the rest of the playoffs, yes, people will forget pretty quickly that he had a bad season. That hasn't happened yet.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Why are we signing a goalie?

We need to tank and get a top 4 pick

Yeah the sens already have Condon just ride him to a last place finish. I cant think of a better goalie for the team to sign to achieve the necessary goal in the immediate future.

Gotta keep Boro, Ceci and Smitty playing big minutes.

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

aligator

Jan 3, 2008
Yeah the sens already have Condon just ride him to a last place finish. I cant think of a better goalie for the team to sign to achieve the necessary goal in the immediate future.

Gotta keep Boro, Ceci and Smitty playing big minutes.
Sens have no intention of trying to tank as it guarantees you nothing except slow development of the young players on the roster.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Sens have no intention of trying to tank as it guarantees you nothing except slow development of the young players on the roster.

How do you know that they arent trying to stock the cupboards.... They just traded everyone away seems like they are actively trying to tank. Do you have an insider with ownership/management?

It actually guarantees you an elite player, next years draft is very top heavy. The top 3 is a franchise level forward something this team doesnt have. The sens have no where near the talent level in the system to compete for a cup one day. They absolutely have to be terrible next year, and they will as the roster is horrible.

Slow development of the players by easing them into roles they can be successful in is exactly how to build a winner. You just cant go scorched earth with no leadership or decent veterans to set an example. Something that needs to be addressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeamRenzo

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Tanking never guarenteed the Devils 1st, too bad they ended up with Makar instead of Hischier and Patrick!

Tanking gets you foundational players, barring some bad drafting, whether that's 1st overall or 6th overall.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't think people realize that when someone suggests the Sens tanking, it's not like 3-4 years ago when we had Karlsson, Stone, etc, and tanking was inconceivable.

I feel like I am taking crazy pills sometimes.

We have a team, that DECISIVELY finished last place. The only player in our system we have who might be a star as soon as next season is Batherson. We a first line C, one of the best wingers in the league, and a very sold top 6 winger in Dzingel. We have not replaced them. Even with those three players on our roster for 3/4ths of the season, we still finished decisively in last place.

I don't get it. People act like those who suggest we "tank" are suggesting we are going to ruin our young guys. Here's the scoop, whether we finish last, or we finish 4th from the bottom, both are equally de-moralizing. At least with last place, we get a 4th overall or better pick. People act like 4th overall isn't worth tanking for, but that high in the draft the drop off from pick to pick is substantial. 4th overall is not a guarantee at a star like 1 or 2 is, but the team still gets two roughly 20 percent shots (each lottery draw) at the 1st and 2nd pick.

Now after I made this post, all 1000 long shot factors that need to go right for us to make the playoffs are going to happen, and someone is going to bookmark this to quote and shame me 12 months from now. I don't subscribe to the theory that a huge long shot happening validates a flawed process. Anybody looking at our team objectively without Dorion-colored glasses could predict, that even with the additions of Batherson, Brown, Brannstrom, and Formenton, they are not enough to cover the loss of Duchene, Stone, and Dzingel. This is a team that was a last place team with those three guys on it. It's absolutely illogical to assume that we won't be a bottom 5 team next year, so the idea of sprinkling a lot bit of extra failure in the mix to ensure that bottom 5 finish is a last place finish isn't going to hurt anybody. A last place finish won't hurt the player development anymore than a bottom 5 finish.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I don't think people realize that when someone suggests the Sens tanking, it's not like 3-4 years ago when we had Karlsson, Stone, etc, and tanking was inconceivable.

I feel like I am taking crazy pills sometimes.

We have a team, that DECISIVELY finished last place. The only player in our system we have who might be a star as soon as next season is Batherson. We a first line C, one of the best wingers in the league, and a very sold top 6 winger in Dzingel. We have not replaced them. Even with those three players on our roster for 3/4ths of the season, we still finished decisively in last place.

I don't get it. People act like those who suggest we "tank" are suggesting we are going to ruin our young guys. Here's the scoop, whether we finish last, or we finish 4th from the bottom, both are equally de-moralizing. At least with last place, we get a 4th overall or better pick. People act like 4th overall isn't worth tanking for, but that high in the draft the drop off from pick to pick is substantial. 4th overall is not a guarantee at a star like 1 or 2 is, but the team still gets two roughly 20 percent shots (each lottery draw) at the 1st and 2nd pick.

Now after I made this post, all 1000 long shot factors that need to go right for us to make the playoffs are going to happen, and someone is going to bookmark this to quote and shame me 12 months from now. I don't subscribe to the theory that a huge long shot happening validates a flawed process. Anybody looking at our team objectively without Dorion-colored glasses could predict, that even with the additions of Batherson, Brown, Brannstrom, and Formenton, they are not enough to cover the loss of Duchene, Stone, and Dzingel. This is a team that was a last place team with those three guys on it. It's absolutely illogical to assume that we won't be a bottom 5 team next year, so the idea of sprinkling a lot bit of extra failure in the mix to ensure that bottom 5 finish is a last place finish isn't going to hurt anybody. A last place finish won't hurt the player development anymore than a bottom 5 finish.
Haha yeah, as bad as we were last season, we're likely even worse the following one without Stone, Duchene and Dzingel. The only way we realistically improve from a last place finish is getting insane goaltending from someone like Hogberg.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Haha yeah, as bad as we were last season, we're likely even worse the following one without Stone, Duchene and Dzingel. The only way we realistically improve from a last place finish is getting insane goaltending from someone like Hogberg.

Yes. I think, even if everything goes absolutely right next year, we are still a bottom 5 (if not bottom 3) finish. No team can lose as much talent as we have an somehow crawl out of the basement. Even if we had the best prospect stable in the league (we don't), it would be next to impossible at this point.

Reactions: Upgrayedd and bert

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Pierre Dorion and Eugene Melnyk are all the security we need for knowing we'll be icing a last place team. As predictable as this seasons result.

We don't need to worry about actively tanking, we're literally already doing it.

Reactions: Upgrayedd and bert

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not finishing last will be somewhat of a success for the team we will be icing. Chabot is the only real star we have. Tkachuk will hold his own and will be a fan favorite but I wouldn't call him a star at this point. White had a nice bump this year. I hope he continues to improve but I think the absence of top 6 talent will hurt his development offensively. The team will suffer with possession and will continue to spend way too much time in their end. I'll be interested to see what happens with Brannstrom, Wolanin and Lajoie. It sounds like Dorion will want to push Brannstrom into the lineup. IMO Wolanin has shown he belongs .. what does Brannstrom mean for him. Lajoie made the team out of camp and had an excellent start this year. I expect him to be at least at that level to start the year this year. Boro, one of our "leaders" is pretty much guaranteed a spot , as is Ceci, Demelo and Jaros. We have Anderson and Condon on NHL contracts. Hogberg was their #1 by a long shot in Belleville and he will be looking for a NHL spot. I do not see any of the Belleville players making an immediate splash other than perhaps Brown on the pp. To bring our offensive players along they need to have ozone time and they need to play with players that can succeed offensively; Who are they? Tanking :laugh: well... I don't think that concept will need to be anywhere near the top of the team's thoughts.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Brett Connolly anyone? I dream of Kevin Hayes, Brock Nelson or Anders Lee but that’s proooobably not gonna happen.

Tkachuk White Batherson

Duclair Tierney Connolly

Balcers Chlapik Ryan

Smith Pageau Boedker

Brown, Formenton, Norris (if signed) start in the A, called up upon any injuries and/or any boat anchors/redundants can be moved out.

Reactions: bert

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Brett Connolly anyone? I dream of Kevin Hayes, Brock Nelson or Anders Lee but that’s proooobably not gonna happen.

Tkachuk White Batherson

Duclair Tierney Connolly

Balcers Chlapik Ryan

Smith Pageau Boedker

Brown, Formenton, Norris (if signed) start in the A, called up upon any injuries and/or any boat anchors/redundants can be moved out.
He'd be a decent add but I'd look more into bargain bin diving on Dmen since we have so many forwards jockeying for spots. Rutta is my guy. RD playing somendecnt minutes for a contender. If they trade or walk away from Ceci he'd be a good guy to have.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
He'd be a decent add but I'd look more into bargain bin diving on Dmen since we have so many forwards jockeying for spots. Rutta is my guy. RD playing somendecnt minutes for a contender. If they trade or walk away from Ceci he'd be a good guy to have.

I’d be on board with that. Could be a shrewd pickup. Michael Kempny type.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Would we do Tierney for Turris?

How bout Smith for Turris? That one's a no brainer to me but I could see nashville doing it. Unfortunately I think Melnyk is too petty to bring back Turris

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

How bout Smith for Turris? That one's a no brainer to me but I could see nashville doing it. Unfortunately I think Melnyk is too petty to bring back Turris

I think there are teams out there who take a shot on Turris for more than what the Senators would consider giving up. Wouldn't really make sense from a Sens perspective unless it was something based around Bobby (or possibly Smith + other dumps).

And yes, I also think EM is too petty to even consider it at this point.

That ship has sailed, imo. Doesn't make sense for the Sens (other than very specific cap dump scenarios), surely doesn't make sense for Turris who would (presumably) want to go to any other team in the league and doesn't make sense for the Predators who can probably find a "soft" deal for Turris in this market.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Turris will not play in Ottawa. He is overpaid and he burned that bridge on the way out anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad