Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
What top 6 centers and top4 rhd do people think will be available via trade this summer?

Very bad timing for us to acquire a top 4 defender.

Even if we walk away from Ceci - Chabot, Wolanin, Lajoie, and Jaros will be competing for two protection spots. (Brannstrom will be exempt)

If we keep Ceci, we're probably exposing two of Ceci, Wolanin, Lajoie, and Jaros. I actually wonder if we'd try to backload Ceci's contract heavily and expose him to Seattle.

I think we have too much depth up front to go 4-4.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016

Even if we walk away from Ceci - Chabot, Wolanin, Lajoie, and Jaros will be competing for two protection spots. (Brannstrom will be exempt)

If we keep Ceci, we're probably exposing two of Ceci, Wolanin, Lajoie, and Jaros. I actually wonder if we'd try to backload Ceci's contract heavily and expose him to Seattle.

Zero chance you protect Ceci - 100% deal him as soon as possible.

Lajoie is completely expendable so he can go or be a trade chip as well. And isnt is three protection spots on defence? Chabot Jaros Wolanin

Not many pieces up front that need protection either. Only two guys on the current roster that matter in the future are White and Tkachuk

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Zero chance you protect Ceci - 100% deal him as soon as possible.

Lajoie is completely expendable so he can go or be a trade chip as well. And isnt is three protection spots on defence?

I'm talking from the perspective of this team. I don't see why they'd expose Ceci if they feel he is valuable enough to sign to a 5 year deal right now. There'd have to be another two #3 defenders ahead of him and behind Chabot, because if the rumors of an extension are true, that's clearly how the Sens view Ceci.

If the team is prepared to expose Lajoie and Ceci, yes, they could acquire another top 4 defender without worrying about it.

Yes, there are three protection spots. We can either go 7-3-1, or 4-4-1. What I was referring to is that I think we have too much depth at forward to justify going 4-4. Batherson and Brown will have to be protected. (Assuming they both are worth protecting as regular NHLers, which at least for Batherson it is looking like a strong possibility). Add in Tkachuk and White, and that's already 4.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I'm talking from the perspective of this team. I don't see why they'd expose Ceci if they feel he is valuable enough to sign to a 5 year deal right now. There'd have to be another two #3 defenders ahead of him and behind Chabot, because if the rumors of an extension are true, that's clearly how the Sens view Ceci.

If the team is prepared to expose Lajoie and Ceci, yes, they could acquire another top 4 defender without worrying about it.

Yes, there are three protection spots. We can either go 7-3-1, or 4-4-1. What I was referring to is that I think we have too much depth at forward to justify going 4-4. Batherson and Brown will have to be protected. (Assuming they both are worth protecting as regular NHLers, which at least for Batherson it is looking like a strong possibility). Add in Tkachuk and White, and that's already 4.

Well your first point is just a moronic approach to this. IF they view Ceci that way its laughably wrong.

Pretty simple to figure out who to protect. Ceci and Lajoie aren't even in the question

And to your 2nd point. Who else do you care about protecting other than those 4? Nobody for me

Trade for a legit top 6 with the abundance of expandable pieces and B prospect. Were still gonna suck so dont worry about not tanking by adding one quality pieces. Run 7-3-1 Chabot Wolanin and Jaros

Or go for a top 4 RHD and run 4-4 to lose a bottom 6er who doesnt add much.

Every other piece you'd consider protecting are simple trade chips - Ceci Teirney Pageau Ryan Smith DeMelo.ect can all go/ be in part used to acquire the top 4/top 6

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
It's going to suck to have to suck hard for a few years but I think sadly it's the best strategy right now.
And its something were quite good at if you look at the past 2 years
I forecast at least a 31st and a 32nd season before we can talk about leaving the basement
Teenage years right now

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix and NB613

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Well your first point is just a moronic approach to this. IF they view Ceci that way its laughably wrong.

Pretty simple to figure out who to protect. Ceci and Lajoie aren't even in the question

And to your 2nd point. Who else do you care about protecting other than those 4? Nobody for me

It's way too early to even know for sure what we have in Wolanin and Lajoie. So, I'm assuming if the team values Ceci enough to sign him to a long term extension at top 4 money, that they will value him enough to want to protect him.

By acquiring another top 4 defender in that scenario, it's an absolute waste. That's all I'm saying. It puts the team in a position where if any one of Wolanin, Lajoie, or Jaros take steps forward, they risk either losing that top 4 defender, losing the top 4 defender they give up assets to acquire in a trade, or losing Ceci who they presumably view as a top 4 defender.

Even if you take Ceci out of the equation, it's still a risk to move assets for a defender right now because it creates a scenario where if two of Lajoie, Wolanin, or Jaros develop into a #4 or better, we've then traded assets to rent an extra top 4 defender for two years, and then hand Vegas and much more valuable player than we'd otherwise have had to expose.

I don't know who I'd protect right now other than that Chabot is for sure protected. I probably would not sign Ceci to a 4-5 year deal at top 4 or better money right now, if that's the Senators plan. Although, it's not entirely relevant what I'd do, since the idea that acquiring a top 4 defender doesn't make sense because of expansion was predicated on the idea that the Senators value and would re-sign/protect Ceci. There's a reasonable chance at least one of Wolanin, Lajoie, or Jaros will be worth protecting 2 years from now. Add that to Ceci+Chabot, and it makes it difficult to square up acquiring a top 4 defender with the expansion protection lists.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
It's way too early to even know for sure what we have in Wolanin and Lajoie. So, I'm assuming if the team values Ceci enough to sign him to a long term extension at top 4 money, that they will value him enough to want to protect him.

By acquiring another top 4 defender in that scenario, it's an absolute waste. That's all I'm saying. It puts the team in a position where if any one of Wolanin, Lajoie, or Jaros take steps forward, they risk either losing that top 4 defender, losing the top 4 defender they give up assets to acquire in a trade, or losing Ceci who they presumably view as a top 4 defender.

Even if you take Ceci out of the equation, it's still a risk to move assets for a defender right now because it creates a scenario where if two of Lajoie, Wolanin, or Jaros develop into a #4 or better, we've then traded assets to rent an extra top 4 defender for two years, and then hand Vegas and much more valuable player than we'd otherwise have had to expose.

I don't know who I'd protect right now other than that Chabot is for sure protected. I probably would not sign Ceci to a 4-5 year deal at top 4 or better money right now, if that's the Senators plan. Although, it's not entirely relevant what I'd do, since the idea that acquiring a top 4 defender doesn't make sense because of expansion was predicated on the idea that the Senators value and would re-sign/protect Ceci. There's a reasonable chance at least one of Wolanin, Lajoie, or Jaros will be worth protecting 2 years from now. Add that to Ceci+Chabot, and it makes it difficult to square up acquiring a top 4 defender with the expansion protection lists.

Point is the exact same - you dont protect Ceci and Lajoie is completely expendable. If the team loves ceci and wants to sign him and protect him - That's f***ing stupid... so the point is that's stupid lmao

Neither one are protected nor should be. If you dont have enough guys up front to care about protecting- trading for a topRHD would be an excellent thing to do right now. Solidifying an elite top 4. If we get a top 4 better than lajoie - you trade Lajoie lol it's not that complicated - worrying about protecting your 5th or 6th best dman

But if that is a concern than go with the top 6 and deal with adding a top 4 after the expansion draft. We have an abundance of pieces (roster players and B prospects) that are not part of this core going forward. To not explore options to improve the roster is the same horse shit logic that this hockey ops team runs on.

Definitley target a core pieces via trade as soon as possible. Prospects need to be brought into the NHL with...actually NHLers. The surrounding staff is a f***ign embarrassment and you got to start adding each summer for this shit to work

Last edited:

DDT

Aug 18, 2008
Seattle. We better not hand Vegas any more players...

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Seattle. We better not hand Vegas any more players...[/QUOTE
Seattle. We better not hand Vegas any more players...

This is true for every team in the league. Every player a team adds exposes another player in the system. I wonder how that combined with the strong 2020 draft impact (reduce) trades for the foreseeable future.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Here's 3 proposals for trades...

To Toronto: CBJ 1st 2019, Demelo, OTT 2nd 2020
To Ottawa: Nylander

To Nashville: Ceci, Chlapik, OTT 2nd 2019
To Ottawa: Subban

To Montreal: Pageau, Pit 3rd 2019
To Ottawa: MTL 1st 2019

Makes us a lot better now... thoughts?

The Senators are not going to trade for highly compensated players. They just traded away the ones they had.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
i wonder if malkin is interested in waiving his NMC for ottawa...

giphy.gif

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not the time to be spending assets on improving the team. We have our 1st rounder this upcoming year, and then some. Suck well and suck hard for next season and the one after.

Sens have 2 first round and 3 second round picks in 2020, plus a few more extra picks and those conditionals. They have Chabot, Tkachuk, Brannstrom, Wolanin, Batherson, White, Brown, Norris, TIERNEY, JBD, Formenton, etc

If they can’t build a good team with all that then might as well move/sell it to someone who will. In theory, they really wouldn’t need to keep bottoming out after next season

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I agree with not trading assets for players we will need to protect. I’m open to signing Ceci and deciding later wether to protect him. I’d also be open to trading one the “potentially protected” players to upgrade. Off the top of my head ... Wolanin may attack attention as a young puck mover possibly packaged with a depth (2nd-3 pick or lower tiered prospect like abramov/Davidson) to get a stronger defensive dman. A strong showing at the WC’s may create an opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad