Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riceroni

Dec 14, 2018
Would we do Tierney for Turris?

How bout Smith for Turris? That one's a no brainer to me but I could see nashville doing it. Unfortunately I think Melnyk is too petty to bring back Turris
First of all I think Turris is a better player than Tierney so don't think I'm a fool for what I'm about to say...

To the Sens I'd think Tierney is more valuable than Turris would be. Tierney is younger and on a much cheaper contract. I just don't think the Sens would want to lock into 5 more years with KT.

Tierney or Pageau should however be traded at the draft or deadline. I'd lean towards trading Pageau since his next contract will likely be 4-5 years in length and around $4.25-4.5M which is way too much for a 3rd or 4th line C. I think Pageau and Tierney both fill a similar need and I'd rather tie myself into a 2 year deal with Tierney around $3.5

Reactions: NB613 and aragorn

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'd be surprised if there was a legitimate market for Turris without salary being held back. It's too risky for GMs to take on bad contracts with term.

Something like Alzner+MTL 2nd for Turris might make sense. NSH can buy out Alzner when needed, get out of most of Turris' contract, and get an asset.

MTL subsidized Turris' cap hit by dumping Alzner. They gamble that a return to the East can help him produce again. (Although it seems obvious he is never going to be the 65 point C he was in OTT)

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'd be surprised if there was a legitimate market for Turris without salary being held back. It's too risky for GMs to take on bad contracts with term.

Something like Alzner+MTL 2nd for Turris might make sense. NSH can buy out Alzner when needed, get out of most of Turris' contract, and get an asset.

MTL subsidized Turris' cap hit by dumping Alzner. They gamble that a return to the East can help him produce again. (Although it seems obvious he is never going to be the 65 point C he was in OTT)

I think there'd be a bigger market for him than people think. Not enough that Nashville re-coups anywhere near what they gave up for him, but enough that they wouldn't need to take a (Alzner-sized) cap dump in return.

A team like the Devils jumps out at me as a team that might be willing to take a chance on Turris for cheap. The Islanders might also make sense depending on what else they do in Free Agency. They could send back a guy like Komarov or Greiss, which would make more sense for the Preds than absorbing Alzner's deal, imo. I also think the Avs make some sense, but they might be scared off by being in the Western Conference, I think there's something to be said about Turris struggling more out there than he would in the East.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Turris seems to have slowed down a lot. Tierney still has upside - as much as you all seem to have him so much (See under 25 polls)

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Would we do Tierney for Turris?

How bout Smith for Turris? That one's a no brainer to me but I could see nashville doing it. Unfortunately I think Melnyk is too petty to bring back Turris
lol why would the sens bring back Turris when his wife took shots at them on their way out?

Turris doesn't bring much to any team in his current state and at 5 more years at 6mill i doubt any team is jumping at the chance to aquire him

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think there are teams out there who take a shot on Turris for more than what the Senators would consider giving up. Wouldn't really make sense from a Sens perspective unless it was something based around Bobby (or possibly Smith + other dumps).

And yes, I also think EM is too petty to even consider it at this point.

That ship has sailed, imo. Doesn't make sense for the Sens (other than very specific cap dump scenarios), surely doesn't make sense for Turris who would (presumably) want to go to any other team in the league and doesn't make sense for the Predators who can probably find a "soft" deal for Turris in this market.

Teams who are desperate to also move out a bad contract Lucic? but no one is adding 6mill of Turris without taking anything bad back or getting a solid sweetener with him

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I think there'd be a bigger market for him than people think. Not enough that Nashville re-coups anywhere near what they gave up for him, but enough that they wouldn't need to take a (Alzner-sized) cap dump in return.

A team like the Devils jumps out at me as a team that might be willing to take a chance on Turris for cheap. The Islanders might also make sense depending on what else they do in Free Agency. They could send back a guy like Komarov or Greiss, which would make more sense for the Preds than absorbing Alzner's deal, imo. I also think the Avs make some sense, but they might be scared off by being in the Western Conference, I think there's something to be said about Turris struggling more out there than he would in the East.

The way I see it is, I would be shocked if a team would sign Turris to a 5 year 6M deal as a UFA. That's what he has got left if someone were to acquire him from Nashville.

I think term will be a big issue with moving him.

If NSH can get someone to take him for free with 2M retained, let alone have someone give them a pick, I would cut my losses at that point if I was them. A buyout will be 2M x 10 seasons.

They have to decide if his decline is just bad fit/bad season, or if it is indicative of a greater decline for Turris. Holding on to him for 1 more season is high risk/high reward. If he finds his game, they can probably deal him without taking back salary, but if he had another season where at best he is a 3C, or gets worse, he will be even more difficult to move.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Turris seems to have slowed down a lot. Tierney still has upside - as much as you all seem to have him so much (See under 25 polls)

Tierney is the better hockey player than Turris right now. He also is not attached to atrocious term.

NSH would give us Turris for free, if we gave them Tierney as well they would think we were on bathsalts.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

If Nashville takes Schiender then maybe

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The way I see it is, I would be shocked if a team would sign Turris to a 5 year 6M deal as a UFA. That's what he has got left if someone were to acquire him from Nashville.

I think term will be a big issue with moving him.

If NSH can get someone to take him for free with 2M retained, let alone have someone give them a pick, I would cut my losses at that point if I was them. A buyout will be 2M x 10 seasons.

They have to decide if his decline is just bad fit/bad season, or if it is indicative of a greater decline for Turris. Holding on to him for 1 more season is high risk/high reward. If he finds his game, they can probably deal him without taking back salary, but if he had another season where at best he is a 3C, or gets worse, he will be even more difficult to move.

This is what teams interested in trading for Turris need to decide as well.

It's pretty clear no one is trading for the 65 point center he was in Ottawa, but he's also never been as bad as he was this season in Nashville. I think some team out there will see an opportunity to buy (real) low on a guys that typically produces 0.6+ PPG and has (in the past) shown to be a good locker room presence and leader.

Term is a major killer obviously, but I still think there is enough value that some team would be willing to give up a small cap dump and a mid pick or prospect to see if he can get back to the player he was before this season. It'll be interesting to see if Poile actually sells low on Turris though, if he was you'd have to assume it's because he has another option (Duchene?) lined up.

Turris has looked like garbage in spurts in a Sens jersey (I'm thinking specifically post Gumby incident during the Hamburglar run) and he managed to rebound a bit the following year when healthy. Some team out there might view this past season as an (injury-related) anomaly.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
i wonder if we could trade ryan for neal and a pick

What for? We'll be getting rid of the Ryan anchor soon. Plus I highly doubt Melnyk would add cap just to get back picks, that's literally the opposite of what he does (Zibanejad trade)

I think a better trade scenario would be getting guys with 1-2 year term with high cap from teams who are considered contenders.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
What for? We'll be getting rid of the Ryan anchor soon. Plus I highly doubt Melnyk would add cap just to get back picks, that's literally the opposite of what he does (Zibanejad trade)

I think a better trade scenario would be getting guys with 1-2 year term with high cap from teams who are considered contenders.

Bobby Ryan: $21,750,000 still owed (including $6 million in SB's including $2 million in a potential lock-out year)

James Neal: $23,000,000 still owed (over 4 years, instead of 3, also no SB money due at all).

In Melny's world I think that's something the Sens pull the trigger on every single time.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Can we move up to the Oilers pick if we take Lucic?

8ova Lucic Puljujarvi for 19ova Boedker Harpur or something like that

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Bobby Ryan: $21,750,000 still owed (including $6 million in SB's including $2 million in a potential lock-out year)

James Neal: $23,000,000 still owed (over 4 years, instead of 3, also no SB money due at all).

In Melny's world I think that's something the Sens pull the trigger on every single time.

basically this, neal had a horrible year and playoffs so worst case scenario he helps our tank next year. best case scenario we buy low on an asset and pick up a pick with it.

ryan doubled neal in points and has one less year on his contract. For calgary on the surface it makes sense to pick up a better asset while they are in the playoff run mode.

james neal+calgary's 2020 2nd round pick for ryan

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't think there is a need to acquire any bad contracts or bad players that could hurt the team in the near future during this rebuild. I would much rather see them continue to build through the draft & through trade, releasing their UFAs & replacing them with good young prospects. The same should apply to some of their players, look to trade the guys you don't want & try & acquire the players you do want. We'll see next season if Hogberg has any potential to be a good NHL goalie & if not Ott can have a good look at Gustavsson & Daccord too. They can always acquire another Nilsson if need be if they move Anderson or hang on to him one yr at a time until they can replace him. Be patient & wait for the right goalie to be made available & target them if none of our goalies work out.

- let all the UFAs in the org walk July 1 - Paajarvi. Gibbons, Nilsson & Lindberg
- keep Crawford for another yr, the team should be crappy & tanking anyway.
- try & move at least one player who will be a UFA next season during the draft & the others leading up to the trade deadline - Pageau, Boro, DeMello, Condon, Anderson or Ceci
- my guess is that Ottawa will be unable to move Smith, Ryan, Condon or Boedker's contracts, so they will have to wait until those contracts end or buy them out.
- MacArthur's contract will be up at the end of next season along with Pageau, Boro, DeMello, Anderson, Condon & Boedker, they should all be moved.
- slowly replace the contracts that are ending or players that are traded with the most NHL ready prospects possible.
- hopefully Ott is able to acquire a few elite players over the course of the next 3 or 4 drafts.
- I expect that in 3 yrs this young team could start challenging once again for a playoff spot.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Maybe Ottawa can acquire Clarkson from Vegas as they will need some cap space. Instead of a pick in return, send Smith back. Saves Vegas around 2 million, and Ottawa gets to the floor. And opens a critical space for younger, faster players

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Maybe Ottawa can acquire Clarkson from Vegas as they will need some cap space. Instead of a pick in return, send Smith back. Saves Vegas around 2 million, and Ottawa gets to the floor. And opens a critical space for younger, faster players

The idea is good, however I would think Arizona or another team with few salarial commitments would likely offer to take that contract for a pick only and that would be more attractive for Vegas since it would allow them to use the salary on contract extensions. Vegas is not paying Clarkson's salary (or a very small part of it +/- 20%, rest is insured) so they would be paying more money with Smith and it wouldn't give them a lot more cap space.

In fact, I think we should try to grab Clarkson and a pick/prospect from Vegas since we won't have to pay him much because he's insured and he would also help us get to the floor.

A similar deal to Crouse to Arizona or Terravainen to Carolina would be amazing for us given our situation. Make the most out of the cap space we have.

Reactions: Sen sational

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Vegas swapping Clarkson for Zack Smith probably hurts them more than it helps. Since the Golden Knights are likely to exceed the upper limit of the cap, Clarkson can go on LTIR and provide some relief. On the other hand, Zack Smith's entire 3.25M would count against their cap. It also increases their cash expenditures. It's a net negative for them all around.

The Golden Knight's cap outlay for next season is pretty wild - their probable 23-man roster has them at about an 88M cap charge and that's not even counting Clarkson on LTIR. Clearly they are going to need to cut some pretty serious salaries off their roster.

It would be interesting to hear what Melnyk thinks of the 'Vegas model' now that they're scrambling to find cap space to accommodate all of their good players.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
The idea is good, however I would think Arizona or another team with few salarial commitments would likely offer to take that contract for a pick only and that would be more attractive for Vegas since it would allow them to use the salary on contract extensions. Vegas is not paying Clarkson's salary (or a very small part of it +/- 20%, rest is insured) so they would be paying more money with Smith and it wouldn't give them a lot more cap space.

In fact, I think we should try to grab Clarkson and a pick/prospect from Vegas since we won't have to pay him much because he's insured and he would also help us get to the floor.

A similar deal to Crouse to Arizona or Terravainen to Carolina would be amazing for us given our situation. Make the most out of the cap space we have.
Agreed. Given that we “gave” them Stone, wonder if Dorion and McPhee already had that talk. One way to get our 2nd first for Stone.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
i dont think we can actually take on that salary

He also has an extremely bonus-heavy salary structure in 2020-21 and 2021-22 ($6mil bonus due July 1 each season) that we as an organization can't handle well (if at all) as large lump-sum bonus payments don't fit our owner's payroll ideology, and have been very adamant about not giving to our own players, so I agree that financialltly it doesn't add up for us to be an interested trade partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad