Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
It would make the deal to go and get him look a whole smokin' **** load better. But I think he prefers ships with rudders.
Maybe, but Columbus is proving you dont necessarily need to spend huge amounts of money on superstars to compete, just continue to draft and make a solid roster. Not even melnyk could f*** that up theoretically

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Maybe, but Columbus is proving you dont necessarily need to spend huge amounts of money on superstars to compete, just continue to draft and make a solid roster. Not even melnyk could **** that up theoretically
They got Bobrovsky in a trade , Panarin as well, Foligno, Jones.. , off the top of my head, some pretty good players not drafted by them

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
They got Bobrovsky in a trade , Panarin as well, Foligno, Jones.. , off the top of my head, some pretty good players not drafted by them
Yeah, but for Johansen, methot etc. So they gave up similar assets that they drafted for the most part.

Edit: we also are accumulating the draft picks that could hopefull lead to a bobrovsky style trade

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Maybe, but Columbus is proving you dont necessarily need to spend huge amounts of money on superstars to compete, just continue to draft and make a solid roster. Not even melnyk could **** that up theoretically

Columbus has stars at every position their top end is ridiculously stacked. maybe not any superstars but multiple stars and depth that can have star games.

its an expensive roster, they were just smart and risky in how they collected it so they have almost everyone underpaid. when this management wanted to for it they got f***ing alex burrows.

and i realize that they acquired duchene (at a huge cost)but that was a function of wanting to kick contract extension down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
What about Martin Jones from SJ?

He needs a fresh start because atm, he is hot garbage.

But he’s got the talent, maybe he’s had enough of the SJ system.

Only thing I do know is, because it’s SJ we’d end up trading Chabot and White or something :facepalm:

I think realistically he’s gone with salary retained in the off season, assuming we don’t get fleeced I think it’s someone to pursue.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Only thing I do know is, because it’s SJ we’d end up trading Chabot and White or something :facepalm:

I think realistically he’s gone with salary retained in the off season, assuming we don’t get fleeced I think it’s someone to pursue.

The SJ system has 2 Norris winners that have as many detractors as supporters. He was good last night and, for sure, a change of scenery can do wonders

Reactions: Beville

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

No thanks, he’s 29 and he is average to declining. That’s why I don’t want him here long term, but also bad goaltending is what we want SJ to have next year because we own their pick. We take him and they’d sign Bobrovsky and be even better.

I’d see what Condon / Anderson got this year and if it’s nothing, even better. We need a top line player and the 2020 draft is out best shot.

Reactions: Cosmix and Beville

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

He's still signed for FIVE years after this one.

... FIVE.

I'm all for looking for a few short/medium term bad contracts to get us to the cap floor in the short term in exchange for some future assets, but 5 years is way too long to willingly commit to a bad goalie. That's a hard pass from me, dawg.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Your comment sounds like you are trying to get the Senators some wins; whereas I hope to have the Senators tank to get a top 5 pick for the next 3 years. :)
I think & hope they will suck next yr but after that I hope they start making their move to improve every yr after that. IMO after the 2020 draft they should have enough good prospects to fill out most of their roster along with the good prospects they have now & should only need to tinker from yr to yr if they look like they are improving otherwise something else will need to be done.

Brown, Batherson, Tkachuk, White, Formenton, Norris, Paul, Chabot, Wolanin, Jaros, Harpur, Brannstrom, JBD, Hogberg, Gustavsson, Daccord & maybe Chlapik & Balcers makes about 18 players plus the 2019 & 2020 draft picks who have a shot at making the roster should be more than enough good young players to fill out the roster for 2020 - 21 roster. Have a nice weekend.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

I don't think I see the same thing as you. I struggle to find a way to see how they aren't a team spending money on superstars to compete. Their roster consists of 3 players who this time next year will combine for 30M or more in AAV (much more in front loaded salary). They might lose Panarin+Bob+Duchene, but it won't be because they don't want to pay for superstars, and they won't be better off for it. If they iced their current roster at the star of the season, it would have had an 89 million dollar cap hit. Panarin and Bob are both superstars at their position, Duchene and Jones are pretty close, and Dubois might get there soon.

It's similar to when people were floating the rumor that Melnyk was fascinated by the "Vegas" model of making the cup final with a 60 million dollar roster. The only reason their roster was so cheap was because all their players were a year away from getting paid. It wasn't a 60 million dollar roster (or whatever the number was) in a sense that they plugged journey men and ELCs into a roster with minimal stars. The only team that is close to that model in the current NHL would be Arizona and they've only made the playoffs once or twice since the 05-06 season. Panarin, Duchene, and Bob are a month or two away from combining for a 30 million dollar AAV.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

In a bubble, I would do Ryan for Jones with retained salary. Ryan is owed 21.75 million in cap over 3 more seasons, Jones is owed 28.75 million over 5 more seasons. San Jose retains 1.4 million a season to bring Jones down to 4.35 x 5.

I don't think it fits the timeline of either team though. We are (apparently) spending close to the cap starting in 2021, so it makes sense just to ride out Ryan and get the dead cap done with sooner. San Jose is trying to re-sign Karlsson, Pavelski, etc, so it doesn't make sense for them to add cap in the short term in order to clear it long term.

Ryan would play on their third line, we'd hope that Jones would bounce back as a decent NHL starter. A consequence of the deal is that it would displace Hogberg since it doesn't seem like this team wants to deal Anderson.

I don't think San Jose will move on from Jones this early into that contract, but I also don't think they could even give him away for free at this point. I think San Jose might try to move on from Dell and either promote someone from within or if they don't feel any goalie internally is ready, they'll try to sign or trade for someone with some upside. That way, if Jones falters they have someone else with potential to start, and then they can buy Jones out after the next lockout. If they buy Jones out now, he'll be on the books for a decade.

Reactions: Beville

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
No thanks, he’s 29 and he is average to declining. That’s why I don’t want him here long term, but also bad goaltending is what we want SJ to have next year because we own their pick. We take him and they’d sign Bobrovsky and be even better.

I’d see what Condon / Anderson got this year and if it’s nothing, even better. We need a top line player and the 2020 draft is out best shot.

TANK is my favorite word for the next 3 years.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think & hope they will suck next yr but after that I hope they start making their move to improve every yr after that. IMO after the 2020 draft they should have enough good prospects to fill out most of their roster along with the good prospects they have now & should only need to tinker from yr to yr if they look like they are improving otherwise something else will need to be done.

Brown, Batherson, Tkachuk, White, Formenton, Norris, Paul, Chabot, Wolanin, Jaros, Harpur, Brannstrom, JBD, Hogberg, Gustavsson, Daccord & maybe Chlapik & Balcers makes about 18 players plus the 2019 & 2020 draft picks who have a shot at making the roster should be more than enough good young players to fill out the roster for 2020 - 21 roster. Have a nice weekend.

Of that group, I think there are only a few who will likely turn out to be major positive contributors and the others will fail. My bets are on: Chabot, Tkachuk, Batherson, Wolanin, White, & Brown. I am not sure about the rest but they will be given a chance to make the team.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

Robin Lehner is a UFA. Wouldn't it make more sense to try to sign him instead of trading assets for Jones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad