Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
John Shannon on Hockey Central today says he expects the #Preds to explore trading P.K. Subban this offseason.

Rights to Ceci + for Subban no salary retained

I liked the idea of Karl for Subban when those rumours were quietly floated out there, but that was contingent on us trying to make as close as possible to a lateral move to keep the team (Stone, Duchene, etc) together.

If we trade for Subban right now, it'll be a desperation move because this team got cold feet over rebuilding and the negative effect it must be having on ticket sales.

It also won't help us one bit. He has 3 years left on his deal and is not enough to get us back into playoff contention. He'll come here, help us win just enough games to not draft high, and then we'll sell him for pennies on the dollar two years from now when he the last year of his deal.

If the cost was Ceci + and that + was not a blue chip asset, sure. I only say that because I think we could get that back when we flip 2 years from now. I think the cost will be much higher than that though.

R2010

May 23, 2011
I wouldn't do Tierney 1 for 1 for Turris right now. Even excluding the contract. Turris seems to be really on a downswing.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Package Tierney + Ceci (+) for a legit top 4 RHD or Top 6 C/RW

Something around Ryan for Neal

Dip into the 2nd grouping of FA potentially

Reactions: robsenz

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Get some a decent middle 6 vet, and a vet or two on the blueline to help insulate the youngsters and lead them going forward.

Suck it hard for another year, land a top 5 pick and see how the young guys develop.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
The Sens should consider trading for kadri. Regardless of what you think of him either as a person or player he could probably be had for pennies on the dollar right now. Depending on how cheap the price is, he might actually be a worthwhile target.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I thought Ennis was decent for the leafs in the playoffs, I would consider him as a depth addition this offseason

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
I don't think there is a need to acquire any bad contracts or bad players that could hurt the team in the near future during this rebuild. I would much rather see them continue to build through the draft & through trade, releasing their UFAs & replacing them with good young prospects. The same should apply to some of their players, look to trade the guys you don't want & try & acquire the players you do want. We'll see next season if Hogberg has any potential to be a good NHL goalie & if not Ott can have a good look at Gustavsson & Daccord too. They can always acquire another Nilsson if need be if they move Anderson or hang on to him one yr at a time until they can replace him. Be patient & wait for the right goalie to be made available & target them if none of our goalies work out.

- let all the UFAs in the org walk July 1 - Paajarvi. Gibbons, Nilsson & Lindberg
- keep Crawford for another yr, the team should be crappy & tanking anyway.
- try & move at least one player who will be a UFA next season during the draft & the others leading up to the trade deadline - Pageau, Boro, DeMello, Condon, Anderson or Ceci
- my guess is that Ottawa will be unable to move Smith, Ryan, Condon or Boedker's contracts, so they will have to wait until those contracts end or buy them out.
- MacArthur's contract will be up at the end of next season along with Pageau, Boro, DeMello, Anderson, Condon & Boedker, they should all be moved.
- slowly replace the contracts that are ending or players that are traded with the most NHL ready prospects possible.
- hopefully Ott is able to acquire a few elite players over the course of the next 3 or 4 drafts.
- I expect that in 3 yrs this young team could start challenging once again for a playoff spot.

Not sure Ottawa can or should get rid of the cheap UFAs. Assuming Duclair and White are signed, they will have 8 NHL forwards. Batherson will likely stay up, so they will need 5 more, even if there were 5 ready AHLers it likely would not be beneficial to their development to be scratching 2 each game instead of leaving them with the Bsens playing 20 minutes a game. I think keeping 2 of Paajarvi & Gibbons would allow Ottawa to play or sit them without concern for their future career. If the prospects earn the spot, put them on waivers to Bsens, they would be good pros.

I also think prospects should stay with Bsens until they are excelling.

Next years signed NHLers have total cap hit of $44 million.

Forwards- Ryan, Boedker, Smith, Pageau, Tierney, Tkachuk

Defence- Chabot, DeMelo, Jaros, Boro, Harpur

RFA to sign- White $3.5, Duclair $2, Ceci ???

AHL , ready to move up- Batherson $1, Brannstrom $1, Wolanin RFA $2

AHL, might stick after training camp- Verroneau (ready or stayed up because older and used to playing men?), Brown (end of season burnout or regression?), Balcers (reasonable end of season in NHL, more time in AHL for scoring confidence?), Formenton (has stayed with Sens twice?), Davidsson (according to Columbus, close to staying up last year, AHL time to acclimatize to NA rink and game), Paul (played well with Brown & Batherson, regressed at end of season)

There will be a big log jam at D. If they don’t sign Ceci they can keep Brannstrom and Wolanin with Boro or Harpur sitting.

This would leave a cap hit of about $56 million and leave room for Ottawa to take bad contracts for picks. Assuming Ottawa doesn’t sign UFAs or take players in trades.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Not sure Ottawa can or should get rid of the cheap UFAs. Assuming Duclair and White are signed, they will have 8 NHL forwards. Batherson will likely stay up, so they will need 5 more, even if there were 5 ready AHLers it likely would not be beneficial to their development to be scratching 2 each game instead of leaving them with the Bsens playing 20 minutes a game. I think keeping 2 of Paajarvi & Gibbons would allow Ottawa to play or sit them without concern for their future career. If the prospects earn the spot, put them on waivers to Bsens, they would be good pros.

I also think prospects should stay with Bsens until they are excelling.

Next years signed NHLers have total cap hit of $44 million.

Forwards- Ryan, Boedker, Smith, Pageau, Tierney, Tkachuk

Defence- Chabot, DeMelo, Jaros, Boro, Harpur

RFA to sign- White $3.5, Duclair $2, Ceci ???

AHL , ready to move up- Batherson $1, Brannstrom $1, Wolanin RFA $2

AHL, might stick after training camp- Verroneau (ready or stayed up because older and used to playing men?), Brown (end of season burnout or regression?), Balcers (reasonable end of season in NHL, more time in AHL for scoring confidence?), Formenton (has stayed with Sens twice?), Davidsson (according to Columbus, close to staying up last year, AHL time to acclimatize to NA rink and game), Paul (played well with Brown & Batherson, regressed at end of season)

There will be a big log jam at D. If they don’t sign Ceci they can keep Brannstrom and Wolanin with Boro or Harpur sitting.

This would leave a cap hit of about $56 million and leave room for Ottawa to take bad contracts for picks. Assuming Ottawa doesn’t sign UFAs or take players in trades.
I'm pretty sure EM says he wants to be at the cap floor for next season & they may target a free agent or two on July 1. He also said they were going quite young & would soon have a roster of mostly 24 yr olds & younger. I see Brown, Batherson, Paul, Wolanin, White, Duclair, Balcers, Formenton & maybe Brannstrom all playing in Ott to start next season & a couple of others could also surprise. They have enough vets to make the cap floor along with all their young guys. I don't see them taking on any bad contracts.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
I'm pretty sure EM says he wants to be at the cap floor for next season & they may target a free agent or two on July 1. He also said they were going quite young & would soon have a roster of mostly 24 yr olds & younger. I see Brown, Batherson, Paul, Wolanin, White, Duclair, Balcers, Formenton & maybe Brannstrom all playing in Ott to start next season & a couple of others could also surprise. They have enough vets to make the cap floor along with all their young guys. I don't see them taking on any bad contracts.
Initially I thought they were looking for a UFA or two in July, I think it was from a Garrioch article but later Dorion, I believe, said they wouldn’t be looking for UFAs. Either way tryouts will be interesting, and you might be completely right.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I really would be keen for Subban...

But damn we’d suck to a whole new level with what we’d have to give up.

Ferland would be a good addition, but we also need a top 6 and top 4 veteran presence but imo needs to be under 30, so still young enough that we can ride with them for a few years if needs be. None of this “low risk high reward reclamation” rubbish, just a good player.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Initially I thought they were looking for a UFA or two in July, I think it was from a Garrioch article but later Dorion, I believe, said they wouldn’t be looking for UFAs.

Is there a link for this? I ask because if true, that's basically YET ANOTHER "promise" this team has made to the fans that it will break.

Nic "Rambles" Ruszkowski told fans that if we didn't get Duchene / Stone signed, that we would have to hit the cap floor somehow (yaaaaay, thanks Nic :rolleyes:), and if we didn't get equivalent players in return we'd make up for it by spending in UFA to hit the cap floor (... yaaaay).

... and I quote VERBATIM here:
"If for the sake of argument if Duchene, if Stone were not to stay, I would encourage people not to look at that as the final straw, but to look at that as opportunity in the context of the rebuild - and the reason I say that is very simple : whatever we do, we have to stay at the bottom of the salary cap at a minimum. Any transaction that puts us below that requires us to get back either an equivalent return in the form of a roster player, or to make an equivalent investment in the form of free agency."

There it is. Either we get back "equivalent return in the form of a roster player", or make an equivalent investment in the form of free agency.

The only player we got an "equivalent return in the form of a player" was the Duclair / Dzingel trade. What about Duchene? We didn't get any roster players back. What about Stone? Brannstrom won't be close to Stone's level for years (if at all, because rookies are never a sure thing). We traded 3 forwards responsible for the majority of our goals this past season, and have replaced them with one budget reclamation project (Duclair, who seems to be working out so far, so that's good).

So now we're not even going to follow through on the most pathetic "promise" this org had thrown to it's fans in the last year?

God. This organization can't help but shoot itself in the foot at every single opportunity, can it?

Last edited:

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Is there a link for this? I ask because if true, that's basically YET ANOTHER "promise" this team has made to the fans that it will break.

Nic "Rambles" Ruszkowski told fans that if we didn't get Duchene / Stone signed, that we would have to hit the cap floor somehow (yaaaaay, thanks Nic :rolleyes:), and if we didn't get equivalent players in return we'd make up for it by spending in UFA to hit the cap floor (... yaaaay).

"If for the sake of argument if Duchene, if Stone were not to stay, I would encourage people not to look at that as the final straw, but to look at that as opportunity in the context of the rebuild - and the reason I say that is very simple : whatever we do, we have to stay at the bottom of the salary cap at a minimum. Any transaction that puts us below that requires us to get back either an equivalent return in the form of a roster player, or to make an equivalent investment in the form of free agency."

There it is. Either we get back "equivalent return in the form of a roster player", or make an equivalent investment in the form of free agency.

The only player we got an "equivalent return in the form of a player" was the Duclair / Dzingel trade. What about Duchene? We didn't get any roster players back. What about Stone? Brannstrom won't be close to Stone's level for years (if at all, because rookies are never a sure thing). We traded 3 forwards responsible for the majority of our goals this past season, and have replaced them with one budget reclamation project (Duclair, who seems to be working out so far, so that's good).

So now we're not even going to follow through on the most pathetic "promise" this org had thrown to it's fans in the last year?

God. This organization can't help but shoot itself in the foot at every single opportunity, can it?

It was in Dorion's end of the year press conference. I had made note of it in another post, my note refers to "high end UFAs", but not sure if it was restricted to high end or any UFAs. I had originally looked at Ferland as a UFA option to pursue, with an overpayment, but dropped it as a possibility after the press conference.

Ottawa has been linked to a few older players, 24 to 28, in Europe as have other teams. They don't have to give anything up to get them and can pay them less.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Can we move up to the Oilers pick if we take Lucic?

8ova Lucic Puljujarvi for 19ova Boedker Harpur or something like that

We are going to be a cap floor team going forward.

Money spent on someone like Lucic means someone due a significant raise in the next year or two - likely Tkachuk or Chabot - would have to be moved.

We're not in this to be competitive or build a championship roster down the road. We are in it to spend as little as humanly possible until Scrooge McDuck is gone. You need to build all your trade proposals around that simple fact.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Are you having fun Mark? cuz I am and you know if I wasn't having fun I'd probably be back in Ottawa .

lip reading skills

Reactions: Samboni

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019

Found it, in end of the year press conference. Garrioch asks "Do you plan to be active on July 1st",

Dorion responds: that we have a lot of good picks and prospects and "we are not going to have 20 players 25 and under, if we feel we need to add 1 veteran we might look at it but don't expect us to be too busy on July 1".

To me that suggests that they won't be looking for any high end UFAs, but might look for a veteran leader if it ticks all the boxes.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Brandon

****ing

Pirri

It’s screamingly obvious.

We were in on him at the TDL the year that we signed Gomez. He was traded to Anaheim for a 6th round pick. Apparently, Murray initially did not want to meet FLA's price, and then when he decided to, they had dealt Pirri already, so he missed the boat. Markus Nurmi was our 6th round pick that year, so if it's true the ask was a 6, and Nurmi becomes a stud, that would be a nice little backstory.

FLA was also in on Shane Prince that year. We were asking for a 2nd, but we settled for a 3rd from the Islanders. Apparently there was a major divide in FLA between the advanced stats eggheads and the traditional hockey guys. The advanced stats guys wanted Prince, and the other group wanted someone else, who if I recall might have been Teddy Purcell. FLA traded their 3rd for Teddy Purcell, and when Prince had his big game in the playoffs, the advanced stats guys were furious. I'm paraphrasing, so I might be mis-remembering, but it was a story that was shared by Jeff Marek on the MVSW podcast a few years ago.

Reactions: Clayonator

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
rmr when people were trying to start a rumour that Stone didn't like Karlsson and thats why Karlsson left and stone was going to stay now ....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
They were still going with that rumor even after Karlsson posted an Instagram story of the two playing golf together.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
rmr when people were trying to start a rumour that Stone didn't like Karlsson and thats why Karlsson left and stone was going to stay now ....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

A small subsection of the fanbase still don't believe that the problem is at the top of the organization, and are willing to foll themselves into believing any scenario that conveniently allows for outgoing players to be the scapegoat, since they don't have to cheer for them anymore.

I mean, all fanbases do it (blaming outgoing players for all of the team's problems), but we do it extra hard sometimes.

Reactions: HSF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad