Rumor: Trade rumors and proposals thread: The Hounds of Chia-ville

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Just a curious question/though. what would everyone's take be on going after someone like Andrew MacDonald from Philly?

29years old, after this season has 4years left on his contract with a cap hit of 5mil.

Currently playing in the AHL more or less due to cap issues in Philly. He could be cheap to go after and he cant be any worse than Hunt/Schultz.

I would strongly pass unless Couturier was coming with him and the price was dirt cheap.

As others have said it's no accident that he's in the minors. He's terrible.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I really don't see a likely scenario that sees any two of Buff, Hamonic, and Shattenkirk on our blueline next year.

One would be phenomenal, and perhaps a trade to upgrade someone else.

Klef-Buff
Sekera-???
Nurse-Gryba/Other
Davidson/Reinhart

Is what I think we will see. I think we trade one of Davidson or Reinhart.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I really don't see a likely scenario that sees any two of Buff, Hamonic, and Shattenkirk on our blueline next year.

One would be phenomenal, and perhaps a trade to upgrade someone else.

Klef-Buff
Sekera-???
Nurse-Gryba/Other
Davidson/Reinhart

Is what I think we will see. I think we trade one of Davidson or Reinhart.

I agree with the majority of what you have here. The last sentence, not so much. I'm not sure if you're saying you expect one of them to be traded based on how Chia operates or if it is your opinion that one of them should be traded.

We cannot trade Reinhart. Can't. I honestly do not see Chia making that move. We sacrificed two very valuable assets to get him on this team and there is no way we would get anything close to a comparable return for him at this point. Just need to let him develop.

Davidson is a reliable #5. Maybe top 4 in the future. What would we get back for him exactly? We don't need picks and it would be hard to make a trade for another reliable bottom pairing player as Davidson's value is mostly based on his potential.

I think the focus needs to be on importing defensive skill, not exporting.

oilz89*

I would strongly pass unless Couturier was coming with him and the price was dirt cheap.

I don't get it. What happened to Macdonald? He was pretty decent with the isles

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

He's an NHL defenseman no doubt, he's just no close to being a 5 million dollar NHL defenseman. He's killing it in the AHL right now. If he was at 1.5 million i'd take him on my team. He does most things well but he gives up the blue line too easily.

Last edited:

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Have you noticed an "addition by subtraction" which was the posters argument?

Also, I feel the Oilers played better with Nuge as the second line center over Lander/Poo or Hendricks and I think the results of the past couple of games show this.

To add to this we've had literally no secondary scoring and Eberle and Pouliot are lost without a quality center between them. The difference has been quite large. The Oilers have had a much tougher time sustaining any kind of attack in the offensive zone. We need Hopkins and the fact that we've got nobody after McDavid-Draisaitl if they go down only illustrates that point further. I have no idea why anybody would look to dump him unless it's a bonafide #1 dman coming back. He's 22.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I sure as hell would hope RNH is a better center than Matt Hendricks or Benoit "hasn't played center since 2003" Pouliot.

Obviously yes he's better than Hendricks or Pouliot at center ... that hardly is a "aha! told ya Nuge is super important!" type moment though.

I'd keep him now just because there is no bonafied no.1-2 d-man we could get that isn't a pending UFA most likely for him.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
I sure as hell would hope RNH is a better center than Matt Hendricks or Benoit "hasn't played center since 2003" Pouliot.

Obviously yes he's better than Hendricks or Pouliot at center ... that hardly is a "aha! told ya Nuge is super important!" type moment though.

I'd keep him now just because there is no bonafied no.1-2 d-man we could get that isn't a pending UFA most likely for him.

I rag on Nuge but we have yet to see a full lineup of Mcdavid, Draisaitl, Nuge - then Eberle, Hall, Yak, Pouliot/purcell on the wings

Oct 15, 2008
Have you noticed an "addition by subtraction" which was the posters argument?

Also, I feel the Oilers played better with Nuge as the second line center over Lander/Poo or Hendricks and I think the results of the past couple of games show this.

Nuge has been largely invisible all year. When he has been noticeable it has been for defensive gaffes as much as it has been for positive contributions either offensively or defensively. Add to that many nights he is 20% or less on the dot and you have a VERY sub par season for RNH. Easily his worst so far.

He is supposed to be getting better, not worse. That is alarming.

Oct 15, 2008
If you say so, Pouliot and Eberle are looking like they did when that line was crapping the bed earlier in the season. I still say keep RNH and deal Eberle. I'd also entertain moving Pouliot for another big bodied player with a more consistent game.

Pouliot is playing like he is expendable as does Eberle most nights. Frankly I don't have a problem moving any of those three for upgrades on the back end and/or jam up front. All three have big tickets which will give potential suitors pause.

The complete and utter ineptitude of Mactavish has set the team back even further. **** Katz and Lowe for bringing back that dumb ass in such an important position.

Daryl Katz has besmirched this franchise and turned it into a laughing stock. It is embarrassing to be an Oiler fan these days.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Pouliot is playing like he is expendable as does Eberle most nights. Frankly I don't have a problem moving any of those three for upgrades on the back end and/or jam up front. All three have big tickets which will give potential suitors pause.

The complete and utter ineptitude of Mactavish has set the team back even further. **** Katz and Lowe for bringing back that dumb ass in such an important position.

Daryl Katz has besmirched this franchise and turned it into a laughing stock. It is embarrassing to be an Oiler fan these days.

The organizations biggest failure is that they didn't have a pipeline of developing defenseman.

Year after year you can draft high end forwards, but you have to always try developing a #1-2 d-man. All the best organizations haven't had to show there cards constantly every year (in terms of there needs and wants) because they develop a lot of there roster.

When your organization can't even develop 3rd-4th line players you have huge problems.

Oct 15, 2008
People would have flipped their wig if we passed on Hall to take Fowler or Gudbranson or passed over Nuge to take Larsson or Hamilton. There was an uprising when people thought we were taking Murray over Yak.

We tanked so well we made it virtually impossible to take a dman with those first picks.

Lowe was frustrated not being able to get top end offensive talent and figured the way to do it was by taking the low road and tanking one or more years to draft them.

If we took dmen with all those picks we would still be relying on Horcoff, Hemsky and Gagner for our offense. That wouldn't be any better than what we are now faced with.

Problem is our scouting staff has rolled snake eyes outside the first round. The guys they picked who were good enough refused to sign and went elsewhere.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Nuge has been largely invisible all year. When he has been noticeable it has been for defensive gaffes as much as it has been for positive contributions either offensively or defensively. Add to that many nights he is 20% or less on the dot and you have a VERY sub par season for RNH. Easily his worst so far.

He is supposed to be getting better, not worse. That is alarming.

I don't think RNH was close to being worthy of a #1 overall selection. Nor do I think he's close to being a #1 NHL centreman. There aren't many teams he'd be the top C on... Even on a healthy (lol) Edmonton Oilers RNH would be the 3rd line C now. He's been passed by Drai and McDavid.

Would he put up numbers playing against less talented, but more physical match-ups? Probably not.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I don't think RNH was close to being worthy of a #1 overall selection. Nor do I think he's close to being a #1 NHL centreman. There aren't many teams he'd be the top C on... Even on a healthy (lol) Edmonton Oilers RNH would be the 3rd line C now. He's been passed by Drai and McDavid.

Would he put up numbers playing against less talented, but more physical match-ups? Probably not.

So who do you think was worthy as a #1 selection that year?
It was basically between him, Larsson and to a lesser extent Landeskog.
If we had taken Larsson it would have been a Yakupov-situation this entire time up until last year. He probably would have been traded. Landeskog had question marks about his offensive capabilities having not yet played in North America.
RNH offensively dominated the most defensive CHL league in a child's body.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So who do you think was worthy as a #1 selection that year?
It was basically between him, Larsson and to a lesser extent Landeskog.
If we had taken Larsson it would have been a Yakupov-situation this entire time up until last year. He probably would have been traded. Landeskog had question marks about his offensive capabilities having not yet played in North America.
RNH offensively dominated the most defensive CHL league in a child's body.

Nuge was the best option at the time of the draft, but I'm not sure what you're saying about Landeskog having question marks about his offence because he hadn't played in NA. His draft year was his 2nd season in the OHL. The questions about his offence was because of his lack of production in the OHL.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Really don't think it would have ever mattered who we drafted. The common denominator was always there hurting us. A lack of veteran support.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Nuge was the best option at the time of the draft, but I'm not sure what you're saying about Landeskog having question marks about his offence because he hadn't played in NA. His draft year was his 2nd season in the OHL. The questions about his offence was because of his lack of production in the OHL.

He was injured too. Part of the question had more to do with the way he played and if he would be able to physically impose his way through men like he did against kids in the OHL.

While RNH had a far higher ceiling offensively, Landeskog is the one to have had the best year of the two.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I am hoping that they piece together enough wins to get the draft pick to around 10th overall and it is shifted (along with Nugent-Hopkins) into a fantastic Dman and third line centre. One who doesn't cost 6 million.
I wish Martin Hanzal was a UFA this offseason. Adding him would truly allow for some trades to improve the defence.
I would be happy with adding a number 2 and a number 4 defender.
That let's Nurse develop at a good speed. He'll move up the lineup when he is ready.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
I am hoping that they piece together enough wins to get the draft pick to around 10th overall and it is shifted (along with Nugent-Hopkins) into a fantastic Dman and third line centre. One who doesn't cost 6 million.

Why does it matter right now if our third line centre is making $6 million if our top two centres are making less then $2 million combined for the next two seasons? :shakehead

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
McDavid is not playing with Hall and LD is a centre who is playing with Hall. Yak is playing with McD. RNH and Eberle the odd men out.

Well first off, this is the trade proposals thread. I wouldn't get too hung up on line combos.

Second, Draisaitl has said many times he's cool with playing the wing. In the preseason he was great on RW with McDavid (Slep on LW), McLellan even referred to McDavid/Draisaitl as the team's best forward pair after preseason. I think at the very least its worth a try.

“Their line was, in my opinion, our best line. They were our most dangerous line … Leon, on his backhand on the right side – I think if he’s going to play wing, that may be the best place for him. As we move forward, we’ll continue to experiment a bit but like I said, they were our most dangerous line.†- McLellan

Nash as in Riley Nash? Can't see that one happening.

Who knows, maybe he reconsiders now that the team isn't in a tail spin and has new players/management? Maybe the Oilers just offer more money? I don't really know the details of why he chose not to sign here.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Really don't think it would have ever mattered who we drafted. The common denominator was always there hurting us. A lack of veteran support.

The common factor in all failed rebuilds is when you can't develop either a #1 goalie or d-man.

You can't even talk about center depth look at Nashville - they have never had a number one center, even the Oil back in the day only ever had Weight, then finally had Comrie for a year.

You also are right you can't have 18 year old's be part of the leadership. Though guys like Horcoff/Moreau probably weren't the greatest leaders. If Jason Smith hadn't broken down so early he would have been a great guy to have around Hall/Eberle.
He just kept people in check. Even Souray (unfortunately that's another topic - and unfortunately people don't know the true guy so no point in going any further).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The common factor in all failed rebuilds is when you can't develop either a #1 goalie or d-man.

You can't even talk about center depth look at Nashville - they have never had a number one center, even the Oil back in the day only ever had Weight, then finally had Comrie for a year.

You also are right you can't have 18 year old's be part of the leadership. Though guys like Horcoff/Moreau probably weren't the greatest leaders. If Jason Smith hadn't broken down so early he would have been a great guy to have around Hall/Eberle.
He just kept people in check. Even Souray (unfortunately that's another topic - and unfortunately people don't know the true guy so no point in going any further).

I don't think that Horc and Moreau were bad leaders. They just weren't the right type. You need guys like Oates, sykora etc... Guys who played offensive roles for a good chunk of their career that know exactly what Hall, RNH, Eberle etc.. are going through.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

I think Horcoff (who Hall, Ebs always speak highly about) and Moreau were great leaders... not sure why you are contrasting Gator? He too was broken down, but don't think these kids didn't know who these guys were. They would have been early teenagers when 2006 happened. They would have watched every game.

The issue, IMO, was 1) leadership was ALL that they could provide by the time Hall and Ebs were here, and 2) Horc, Moreau, Gator, Pisani... all grew together as a core of well-coached guys who played low-event, low-mistake hockey. They needed that precision to have success... and I think it caused young vs old friction given that the young guys were depended on so much for offense AND expected by the vets to not make mistakes. The vets, for their part, were well aware of what was needed to WIN and frustratingly still holding onto dreams it would happen in their career timeframe... probably didn't realize that 2006 was going to be their only chance.

You know... that 2006 run and the Pronger trade was a heartbreak that few from that era (incl esp Lowe, Moreau, Smith, Horc less so, but... others) properly recovered from.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
He's an NHL defenseman no doubt, he's just no close to being a 5 million dollar NHL defenseman. He's killing it in the AHL right now. If he was at 1.5 million i'd take him on my team. He does most things well but he gives up the blue line too easily.

Hell, he's probably a 2.5 million/year defenseman. But 5 million was just an absurd overpay. It's insane how much some guys are getting. These types of contracts made me wish that the NHL was more like the NFL in the no guaranteed contracts thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad