Rumor: Trade rumors and proposals thread: The Hounds of Chia-ville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
I don't think that Horc and Moreau were bad leaders. They just weren't the right type. You need guys like Oates, sykora etc... Guys who played offensive roles for a good chunk of their career that know exactly what Hall, RNH, Eberle etc.. are going through.

It's less about that and more about having guys that can play the big, difficult minutes while the kids get their feet wet. We have the same problem now with no one on the back end who can give Nurse shelter from the storm and IMO, we're starting to wreck him as a result.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
I think Horcoff (who Hall, Ebs always speak highly about) and Moreau were great leaders... not sure why you are contrasting Gator? He too was broken down, but don't think these kids didn't know who these guys were. They would have been early teenagers when 2006 happened. They would have watched every game.

The issue, IMO, was 1) leadership was ALL that they could provide by the time Hall and Ebs were here, and 2) Horc, Moreau, Gator, Pisani... all grew together as a core of well-coached guys who played low-event, low-mistake hockey. They needed that precision to have success... and I think it caused young vs old friction given that the young guys were depended on so much for offense AND expected by the vets to not make mistakes. The vets, for their part, were well aware of what was needed to WIN and frustratingly still holding onto dreams it would happen in their career timeframe... probably didn't realize that 2006 was going to be their only chance.

You know... that 2006 run and the Pronger trade was a heartbreak that few from that era (incl esp Lowe, Moreau, Smith, Horc less so, but... others) properly recovered from.

Horcoff/Moreau had to much entitlement - that's common knowledge. They also never kept guys in line. Moreau was absolutely the worst captain if not the worst, next to Corson. To much division at that time.

If you contrast Jason Smith he's much like Giordano in Calgary. I just think teams need guys who are blue collared in terms of work ethic and character. Whether there given letters or not - on any team there your true leaders. It's almost the spirit of guys like Weight/Smith where you have people who are more than hockey players there regular guys who relate to people. Pronger has only what you can define as spirit and energy that you change the chemistry when you come into the locker room. Those guys are very few and far between.

I have met Doug Weight/Jason Smith. I would go as far as saying Weight is probably one of the best people you ever can meet in life (i'd go that far) even Jim Matheson has went that far in the reverence and respect. Best Captain ever as well.

Certain guys worked for certain types of hockey teams. I say better than Messier or Gretzky they got grandfathered in with some great guys before them and they had talent around them. You can see Messier in Vancouver in how you need the right pieces around them.

The Oilers at this time need a Weight/Smith where it's about hockey and not about local celebrities or guys who have cashed in and don't care anymore - see Horcoff/Moreau. Those latter two were way past any desire/passion/talent and maybe they gave there best but what came across was blame, entitlement, and in many respects the idea/notion it wasn't there fault.

It's hard to build a team the way they Oilers are right now because your looking for leadership by committee. Besides Hall to an extent - I can't imagine playing for another team (exception of Hall hes' actually proved himself) and seeing an A on Eberle or RNH.
People compare them in some aspects to being like a Crosby or Toews. I'm sorry I've seen the these guys in public and besides Hall they don't look like the physiques of what you would call hockey players.

Hall/Eberle/RNH have been so babying and given the keys to the organization that from the outside is probably laughable to other teams.

Could you imagine any high Oiler pick getting the Drouin treatment right now. We would rip on management for keeping the guy in the minors. I wish management had more of that. At least he plays in a place and has a management that preaches accountability and will say this is what you have to work at getting better, and will be very straight forward.

I've said it many times that fans will get to a point and accept that it's about building from the ground up, and not the top down. You can draft top picks every year, but as one great coach (unfortunately was basketball) said we have enough high picks we need guys who just know how to play.

If all the Oilers ever do is every year can get Mcdavid to inflate the value of who he's every playing with and you trade him for a late round pick or 2nd round pick. Your going to have to start out with some process of saying we're going to draft d-man after d-man till we get it right.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
I think Horcoff (who Hall, Ebs always speak highly about) and Moreau were great leaders... not sure why you are contrasting Gator? He too was broken down, but don't think these kids didn't know who these guys were. They would have been early teenagers when 2006 happened. They would have watched every game.

The issue, IMO, was 1) leadership was ALL that they could provide by the time Hall and Ebs were here, and 2) Horc, Moreau, Gator, Pisani... all grew together as a core of well-coached guys who played low-event, low-mistake hockey. They needed that precision to have success... and I think it caused young vs old friction given that the young guys were depended on so much for offense AND expected by the vets to not make mistakes. The vets, for their part, were well aware of what was needed to WIN and frustratingly still holding onto dreams it would happen in their career timeframe... probably didn't realize that 2006 was going to be their only chance.

You know... that 2006 run and the Pronger trade was a heartbreak that few from that era (incl esp Lowe, Moreau, Smith, Horc less so, but... others) properly recovered from.

This is the second reply.

It's unfortunate that Oiler's had one identity and were switching to another one. Horcoff/Moreau work/worked on any team that is less about puck possession - but will grind you down.

It's why I am always leary about any team that comes from Ken Hitchock/Lemaire system because they play well without the puck. They make great penalty killers and guys who will forecheck hard, but in terms of offense you don't know what players are like outside of that system.

I wouldn't say Horc/Moreau were bad hockey players. One (Horcoff) was meant to be a guy who is going to anchor a first line. He's not that, Moreau was a energy guy who is a grinder. Simple as that.

Even now the Oilers identity is not straight forward. On many nights there grinders are better than there star players. At this point i would say you need those guys to play a bigger part, because of injuries always relying on your top guys to score is unreliable and unrealistic.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
If Nuge is traded should Edm try and take a run at Backes? Big, mean dirty C. Could be good for the future BOA's.

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton
Backes will get a Kesler type contract.
Too long and too much. He'd be a great asset to have, but terrible for 3rd line value which is what he probably would play.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
During his segment on 1260 this mornin Bobby Mac made it sound like the Jets are making it more of a priority to sign Buff than Ladd. If Ladd were to hit the open market that's the kind of guy I'd love to have playing on McDavid's left side.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Ladd's likely looking at a $6-7 million dollar contract long-term.

Unless we're looking at a top pairing defenseman, I think we're done with the big fish hunting on the UFA market.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
If I'm chasing after a free agent forward from the Blues, I'd rather look into Brouwer than Backes.

A lot cheaper and he'd fit in as a bottom 6'er.

It's a small move, but one after another it starts to add up: Kassian, Brouwer, Hendricks, Pakarinen, Pouliot. No longer are you looking at one guy to be a initiator on a team of non-physical guys, but rather that's the mentality of most of your forwards.

Hall-Draisaitl-Eberle
Yakupov-McDavid-Kassian
Pouliot-RNH-Brouwer
Korpikoski/Hendricks/Letestu-Pakarinen

+Kessy, Khaira, and possibly Yakimov—if he's back— as you're reserves in the minors.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
During his segment on 1260 this mornin Bobby Mac made it sound like the Jets are making it more of a priority to sign Buff than Ladd. If Ladd were to hit the open market that's the kind of guy I'd love to have playing on McDavid's left side.

he's gonna cost 6 mil + according to Lawless:

http://www.tsn.ca/it-s-time-for-the-jets-to-trade-ladd-1.428215

we can't afford another huge long-term contract for a winger...especially once McDavid and Drai and Nurse's contract are in need of re-upping

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Not to sure why wed tie up significant cap space in Backes or Ladd to add to an alreayd stacked and expensive top 6. Focus all resources on D. Either by trading for a vet with a higher price tag or landing a top FA

Idealistically, Kassian is able to slot into the top 6 with McDavid and be that PWF/ protector people want Ladd/ Backes to be. He wont nearly be as good, but hell be about 6M cheaper

And Ladd is going to be Kesler redux. Hes alreayd trending down in a contract year and his body has taken a beating. He has massive red flags

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

No more money should be spent on high dollar wingers. Even ones as good as Ladd.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Nothing else should be touched until the blueline at least resembles a real hockey team.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Money/cap wouldn't be an issue if you could move one or more of Eberle, Poo, or Nuge.

You are getting back either an expensive D or a young D who needs a big raise in short future (when LD, McDavid, Nurse need them)

So money will be an issue and signing Ladd for anything over 5 mil is overpayment

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Nothing else should be touched until the blueline at least resembles a real hockey team.

This. Chia and pro scouts shouldnt even be looking at other forwards. All effort should be spend on looking at D and trying to land 1 top pairing RHD and 1 top 4 D

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
To be honest I think Bouweemester is the piece that shakes loose from St. Louis.

If I'm managing St. Louis why am I letting a 26-year-old Shattenkirk walk over a 32/33-year-old Bouweemester?

Makes no sense.

And those types of moves are ones we might be able to take advantage of. There could be decent d-men like Jay Bo or Jason Garrison from Tampa that have to be moved in the summer because of cap issues and we are the team that's going to bail out one of those teams needing cap room.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
To be honest I think Bouweemester is the piece that shakes loose from St. Louis.

If I'm managing St. Louis why am I letting a 26-year-old Shattenkirk walk over a 32/33-year-old Bouweemester?

Makes no sense.

And those types of moves are ones we might be able to take advantage of. There could be decent d-men like Jay Bo or Jason Garrison from Tampa that have to be moved in the summer because of cap issues and we are the team that's going to bail out one of those teams needing cap room.

Well, what you'd have to look at is why Edmonton would pay anything of value for a 33 year old Bouwmeester or a 31 year old Garrison? Both of those guys have seen their production fall off a cliff. They're not difference makers anymore.

If we're moving RNH or Eberle, the sights have to be set higher.

People like to reference Columbus moving Nash for bits and pieces as some success story; to me, that's a massive cautionary tale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad