Rumor: Trade rumors and proposals thread: The Hounds of Chia-ville

Status
Not open for further replies.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
The same could be said for your consistent devaluing of McDavid...seriously, it's been embarrassing. :laugh:

Of course the pick should be up for grabs, as usual it is all about what else we add to get the value we require. I don't see us winning the lotto and think we will be in the 4,5,6 range for picking. Best player available. (I do pray to god that it is an offensive Dman or a large. physical winger who can score though.)

Try telling Bruins fans that.

I've never seen a fanbase that won the Cup hate their GM so much.

How is saying you wouldn't trade McDavid for Gaudreau devaluing him?

Wouldn't surprise me in the least TBH.

I remember they asked him in an interview if he would be willing to go to a team like Edmonton if they won the right to draft him. I wish I had the exact quote but essentially he said that he doesn't think it would be within his power to refuse.

Continue

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
It may be year 10 out of the playoffs for the fans around here, but for Chiarelli and McLellan they've both been adamant that it's year 1 for them.

Like it or not, they're taking a longer view than this season to right the wrongs of the past. It could be that once the lottery has been done and the Oilers know with certainty where their pick will be, maybe then Chiarelli will entertain thoughts of what he could get back for the pick in trade...though from what I've seen from him so far he doesn't strike me as someone who will simply settle for what he can get and trade it off no matter what returns he's offered. That would be monumentally shortsighted and honestly no GM worth his salt would be so reactionary.

At any rate, openly proclaiming that the pick was up for grabs at this point serves no purpose other than lowering its value. Nobody is going to give him the value he'd need for it to be worth his while at the height of the season when every team still thinks they're in the playoff hunt, so publicly talking up the pick and saying you'll hold onto it is IMO the smart play.

He can absolutely change his mind once June rolls around, a lot can change in the next 5 months.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Many GMs have said a million times that picks are worth their most right before the draft. That makes perfect sense. If Chia is not an idiot, and I don't think he is, a first round draft pick doesn't get moved until either right before the lottery or right before the draft.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
For those seriously talking about getting Matthews

So you like the depth chart at Center

McDavid
Leon
Nuge
Matthews--having first overall picks on the 4th line is always good

top 5 prospects
Auston Matthews (C)
Patrik Laine (RW/LW)
Jesse Puljujärvi (RW)
Matthew Tkachuk (LW)
Jakob Chychrun (D)

AS we know--we need D--Chychrun causes the least amount of collateral damage

Taking Matthews means Nuge goes asap--so who takes Nuge and what do we get for him?
Laine and Puljujarvi would most likely stay in Europe at least one more year

Tkachuk is an interesting prospect--I saw a few games on line and he reminds me of his father a lot(Keith) and he adds a certain something to the top 6

for me--we should be talking about Chychrun or Tkachuk and how the affects our line up. Taking Matthews in my opinion causes too much collaterial damage and decision making where we need to move out a top guy and then we argue about not getting market value for him.

FYI--Chychrun father is Jeff Chychrun uncle is Luke Richardson--both former oilers

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

McDavid
Leon
Nuge

top 5 prospects
Auston Matthews (C)
Patrik Laine (RW/LW)
Jesse Puljujärvi (RW)
Matthew Tkachuk (LW)
Jakob Chychrun (D)

Taking Matthews means Nuge goes asap--so who takes Nuge and what do we get for him?

Tkachuk is an interesting prospect--I saw a few games on line and he reminds me of his father a lot(Keith) and he adds a certain something to the top 6

for me--we should be talking about Chychrun or Tkachuk and how the affects our line up. Taking Matthews in my opinion causes too much collaterial damage and decision making where we need to move out a top guy and then we argue about not getting market value for him.

FYI--Chychrun father is Jeff Chychrun uncle is Luke Richardson--both former oilers
I'd assume Nuge is gone if we draft mathews. Nuge might be gone anyway. That and I think we see a center go to wing potentially. Not overly concerned about getting yet another center.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I'd assume Nuge is gone if we draft mathews. Nuge might be gone anyway. That and I think we see a center go to wing potentially. Not overly concerned about getting yet another center.

Only thing is Matthews is probably gone after his ELC, he'd score too much and want similar to McDavid. What a terrible problem that would be :laugh:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

Given the recent chatter from Spector about Chiarelli being rumored to have offered RNH for Seth Jones, and I'd say it's not beyond the realm to think that RNH's days are numbered even if Matthews isn't available on draft day.

IMO how McDavid and Draisaitl look to close out the 2nd half of this season will weigh heavily in whichever way Chiarelli decides to play this.

And if Matthews is available, you freaking take him and run giggling out of the arena. Screw the "collateral damage", whatever that's supposed to mean.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Can't draft a D man.

Take BPA and make trades as needed. We need D men now, not ones that will take a couple years to be effective players.

Chychrun likely isn't NHL ready - at least not to be an effective NHL d men.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Given the recent chatter from Spector about Chiarelli being rumored to have offered RNH for Seth Jones, and I'd say it's not beyond the realm to think that RNH's days are numbered even if Matthews isn't available on draft day.

IMO how McDavid and Draisaitl look to close out the 2nd half of this season will weigh heavily in whichever way Chiarelli decides to play this.

And if Matthews is available, you freaking take him and run giggling out of the arena. Screw the "collateral damage", whatever that's supposed to mean.

Nah, you trade Matthews for a pile of prospects/picks and a developed top 4 defenseman.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Only thing is Matthews is probably gone after his ELC, he'd score too much and want similar to McDavid. What a terrible problem that would be :laugh:

Taking Matthews cuases too many other questions--so far Matthews is not on the same level as McDavid and there is a chance he wont go first overall--the five guys I mentioned are all in the running to go first overall.

We take Matthews collateral moves are trading Nuge and moving Leon to the wing at some point in time and we still will be talking about toughness in the top 6 and our D.
The sons of the former NHLERS address those needs--but that is just me--we have taken the BPA the last 5 drafts and look where we are--we are in the position where we know what our issues are and should draft for those needs and if not--trade a roster player to address those need and then draft the player.

Personally I think Nuge gets moves sooner then later and Eberle or Yakupov at the draft

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
If we win the 1st lotto we pick Matthews no question.

Hall-Matthews-Draisaitl
Pouliot-McDavid-Yak\Eberle

Forget 4th line he will be in top 6.

Also, it is pretty consensus that Matthews will go 1st and the 2 FINs right after him.

If we want a FIN winger we trade down to 2nd or 3rd while acquiring a pretty good player.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Would Alex Edler be an acceptable target to round out our top 4? I know he's not a right shot but I think he plays a very well rounded game and would make for a good partner for Klefbom.

Vancouver might want to bring a BC boy home like RNH, Reinhart, or they might even have interest in Schultz.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Better be a top 2 dman rather than a top 4 before I even consider it.

I mean, Jeff Petry is a top4 dman and I sure as hell wouldn't trade Matthews for Petry and futures.

Understandable, but this org needs depth. We need a quality for quantity trade.

To Philadelphia:
C Austin Matthews

To Edmonton:
D Shane Gostisbehere
RW Wayne Simmonds
D Travis Sanheim
+?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

McDavid
Leon
Nuge

top 5 prospects
Auston Matthews (C)
Patrik Laine (RW/LW)
Jesse Puljujärvi (RW)
Matthew Tkachuk (LW)
Jakob Chychrun (D)

Really liked the little bit I've seen from Tkachuk so far. Would have no problem taking him if he's there when we pick.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Would Alex Edler be an acceptable target to round out our top 4? I know he's not a right shot but I think he plays a very well rounded game and would make for a good partner for Klefbom.

Vancouver might want to bring a BC boy home like RNH, Reinhart, or they might even have interest in Schultz.

Edler is up and down and if you watch games where he is on the ice and twins arent? That is an interesting experience. And knowing Canucks fans--they would want Nuge + for Edler

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

I dunno, I have a hard time picturing either Vancouver or Edmonton being keen on trading assets of that stature to a divisional rival, especially Edmonton with RNH.

Not saying it'd be impossible, but IMO very unlikely.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
and there is zero toughness in the top 6

And games are still only played with one puck, correct?

Two highly skilled pairs surrounded by a group of hard working, well rounded, defensively responsible forwards is what this team needs.

McDavid ?
Drai Hall

We may have McDavid's match in Eberle, Yak, or RNH, but if they are in a position to draft Laine I think you could trade all three of those Oilers and build around McDavid, Hall, Drai, and Laine up front.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013

Benning wouldn't trade Eddie Lack in the division, let alone Edler.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Understandable, but this org needs depth. We need a quality for quantity trade.

To Philadelphia:
C Austin Matthews

To Edmonton:
D Shane Gostisbehere
RW Wayne Simmonds
D Travis Sanheim
+?

Yes let's get another US born, NCAA-trained soft-hitting offensive dman...lord knows the Oilers have always had big success there...

Poti
Gilbert
Petry

All decent guys, but none ended well for the Oilers.

Replacing Gostisbehere with Provorov would IMO be the only way you'd get the Oilers to tilt their ear Philadelphia's way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad