Rumor: Trade rumors and proposals thread: The Hounds of Chia-ville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think the scouts heavily overrated Yakupov.

Whenever I actually saw him on ice, I didn't see anything more than a 45-50 point complementary winger. I just assumed because of his junior stats that he had sky high potential.

Weak draft, not much we could have done.

Galchenyuk was risky at the time due to his injury and isn't a ton better, Murray has been injured his whole career and really isn't much better. Griffin got dealt and still is finding his way.

No one at the time would have taken Hampus 1st overall so....

I dunno know about that. He looked like a mini-Ovechkin in junior. The issue is his moves simply don't work at an NHL level, he can't do anything with the puck against NHL defenders and his shot doesn't have the accuracy it needs to beat NHL goalies reliably. That and clowning junior players probably hid a lot of his hockey IQ issues.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Let's please not go after Dumba. The guy is horrible defensively and has horrible IQ. Great physical tools but he will drive us nuts.

He looks slightly better than he is on a defensively awesome Wild team but even their fans are getting sick of him.

He has a hell of a shot and right handed to boot ... if Minny is willing to sell on him I'd take a chance.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Here's a line-up I'd actually like to see next year. Tried to keep it realistic, but don't ask me how the trades would go down.

Hall(6)-Drai(3.4)-Nuge(6)
Pouliot(4)-McDavid(3.775)-Yak(2.5)
Brouwer(3.5)-XX-Kassian(2.1)
Hendricks(1.85)-Letestu(1.8)-Korpikoski(2.5)
Pakarinen(0.9)

Klefbom(4.167)-Hamonic(3.857)
Sekera(5.5)-Vatanen(5)
Nurse(1.775)-Davidson(1)
Reinhart(0.9)

Talbot (4.167)
Brossoit (0.7)

Puts you at 65.391M with a 3rd line centre to sign, and Ference buyout. I'm not sure I did all the bonuses right (didnt include Reinhart's), and not sure exactly how qualifying RFA raise works so I just guessed. Again I have no idea how you pull this off. Maybe Eberle for Vatanen, and our 1st round pick for Hamonic (assuming its not top 3) for Hamonic if Snow somehow caves. Brouwer could be swapped for someone like Matthias if we need a cheaper cap hit. I didn't bother looking through the full free agent list, but I'd hope theres some decent option for the 3C and 3LW spots at decent prices.

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
Still no takers for 6m golden boys #93&#14?

Get rid of those clowns and this team will be better. Addition by substraction. Don't worry about the return too much.

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
Still no takers for 6m golden boys #93?

Get rid of those clowns and this team will be better. Addition by substraction. Don't worry about the return too much.

You make a really good point. Without RNH the last couple of games the Oilers have been Stanley Cup contenders.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Still no takers for 6m golden boys #93?

I completely disagree with this. Horrific asset management. If you want to move them to address needs that's fine, but addition by subtraction for RNH and Ebs is an absurd statement. RNH is our best defensive forward. Half of scouts in an informal poll think he's worth as much a Johansen, who returned a ton in Seth Jones.

I'm glad you aren't GM. That's possibly beyond MacT level incompetence.

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
There's been no discernable difference if you're being honest.

Have you noticed an "addition by subtraction" which was the posters argument?

Also, I feel the Oilers played better with Nuge as the second line center over Lander/Poo or Hendricks and I think the results of the past couple of games show this.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
My team would be remnants of the current:

Hall - Drai - XXXX
XXXX - McD - XXXX
XXXX - RNH - Kassian
Hendi - XXXX - XXXX

Sekera - XXXX
Klef - XXXX
Nurse - Davidson
Reinhart

Talbot
XXXX

We need some NHL players to fill in the blanks...we have too many 'passengers'. We need players that know how to play an NHL game while getting within the opposition player's 'wheelhouse' (letting them know you're always there), stepping in front of oncoming players, finishing your check..every time.., understanding proper positioning, stop waving your friggin' stick at the puck and step up on the players, protect your goalie and each other..
Jeezzz, no wonder past coaches have said the Oilers don't know the basics of a hockey team. They've been this way for years and that falls to previous management making the 'wrong' moves as well as not having proper mentors to show all these kids and new players how to be actual NHL players. There are so many small things they need to do to ensure a winner but the majority have no clue.

Many of the current players will have good careers on other teams because those teams can afford to have some with 'different' skills.
The Oilers can't afford it because they have way too many and even some of the ones left behind don't really have the basics right but are young enough to learn with proper teaching.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
We need a puck moving defence man more than anything. Yandle is probably available. I can't think of a bigger need for this team.

Yandle and Hamonic would be a great off season. Both are needed so the Oilers can stop ruining Nurse.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
unpopular proposal:

Eberle + Korpikoski for Phaneuf + Komarov

RNH + Fayne for Grabovski + Hamonic

pretty much shores up the team IMO..

Sekera-Phaneuf
Klefbom-Hamonic
Nurse-Gryba
Davidson

Pouliot-McDavid-Kassian
Hall-Drai-Purcell
Komarov-Grabovski-Yakupov
Hendricks-Letestu-Pakarinen

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
People talk about not being able to pay all these top forwards but then go on to get 2 top pair Dmen

I don't see any cap issues with the acquisitions I named. It's safe to assume we'll have plenty to spend on the blueline if we let Schultz go, Ference is bought out or retires and with Nikitin's contract expiring. And then there's the possibility that acquiring Hamonic would see salary go out.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Trade Targets from now until the draft:

Travis Hamonic- Wants out of Brooklyn and into Western Canada....Obvious target #1 due to age, contract and desire to play near Winnipeg...plus he's a damn good defenseman that would shore up the top RD spot for a long time...Chia needs to get creative this summer to land this player...1st rounder in 2017? 2016?

Sami Vatenen- my #2 target due to probably not costing as many assets as it would to land Hamonic...RD top 4 d-man that could QB a powerplay...if the Ducks want to sign Lindholm, do they try and get some offense for him? would the Ducks trade him within the division? would Eberle be a start?

Kevin Shattenkirk- my #3 target...St. Louis wants offense too but I'm not sure they wanna part with him until the summer as well...his next contract is gonna be scary and he may be a year-long rental at best but IF he signs long-term, we'd be set at top line RD for a long time

Hampus Lindholm- maybe they want to sign Vatanen and are willing to deal Lindholm? it'll cost a lot to get him out of Anaheim...

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

Hall - Drai - XXXX
XXXX - McD - XXXX
XXXX - RNH - Kassian
Hendi - XXXX - XXXX

Sekera - XXXX
Klef - XXXX
Nurse - Davidson
Reinhart

Talbot
XXXX

We need some NHL players to fill in the blanks...we have too many 'passengers'. We need players that know how to play an NHL game while getting within the opposition player's 'wheelhouse' (letting them know you're always there), stepping in front of oncoming players, finishing your check..every time.., understanding proper positioning, stop waving your friggin' stick at the puck and step up on the players, protect your goalie and each other..
Jeezzz, no wonder past coaches have said the Oilers don't know the basics of a hockey team. They've been this way for years and that falls to previous management making the 'wrong' moves as well as not having proper mentors to show all these kids and new players how to be actual NHL players. There are so many small things they need to do to ensure a winner but the majority have no clue.

Many of the current players will have good careers on other teams because those teams can afford to have some with 'different' skills.
The Oilers can't afford it because they have way too many and even some of the ones left behind don't really have the basics right but are young enough to learn with proper teaching.

Other than MacD and Drai the entire team is composed of complimentary players. That's the problem. Get a few more "drivers" and maybe the sheep will follow.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I don't see any cap issues with the acquisitions I named. It's safe to assume we'll have plenty to spend on the blueline if we let Schultz go, Ference is bought out or retires and with Nikitin's contract expiring. And then there's the possibility that acquiring Hamonic would see salary go out.

And then what do you do when Nurse's contract is up?
Hamonic is the ideal target by play style and has a sweet deal. I just don't think we have the room for a Hamonic and a Byfuglien/Shattenkirk/Yandle contract .

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
It doesn't matter how many drivers you have up front, if your best option to get the puck to them is Justin frickin' Schultz...

"Upgrading" the forward core is nothing more than just rotating the deck chairs on the Titanic.

You could have Crosby, Maklin, Giroux and Tavares down he middle here, and it wouldn't change much. Fix the defence, then you will see actual results.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
There was no better display of the Oilers' critical need for adequate puck moving Defensemen than last night's game, and no better example of Schultz's falling-short of being an adequate puck mover.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If we find ourselves drafting top 3 yet again, I would trade Eberle and/or Yak (plus picks) for an established D (Shattenkirk/Hamonic/Yandle etc) and then draft Laine. I think hell be in the NHL next season considering how hes doing in a pro league. We got forwards to insulate him and hes a PWF well really need

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Hall - Drai - XXXX
XXXX - McD - XXXX
XXXX - RNH - Kassian
Hendi - XXXX - XXXX

Sekera - XXXX
Klef - XXXX
Nurse - Davidson
Reinhart

Talbot
XXXX

I think the 4th line is more than fine with Letestu, Pakarinen, Korpikoski, and anyone who can push from the farm next year (Jujhar might be ready and he's big and physical).

I also think I'd rather run a stacked top 6 with a crash and bang/cycle 3rd line with some skill. Sure it would be great to fill Pouliots and Yak's spot, but unless you have a Lucic of Stamkos signing here in the offseason they're both probably still here.

This teams gonna need a 2-way 3C who can chip in 15-15 and a 3rd line LW who can do the same. Preferably both big and physical.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
There's been no discernable difference if you're being honest.

If you say so, Pouliot and Eberle are looking like they did when that line was crapping the bed earlier in the season. I still say keep RNH and deal Eberle. I'd also entertain moving Pouliot for another big bodied player with a more consistent game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad