Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread | Lebrun Speculates Jan Rutta Weekend Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If that's his ask, we're probably settling somewhere under $4m, which is what I'd be more than comfortable with. Russell has a knack for preventing quality scoring chances. Though his flaws pertaining to weak breakouts and giving up the blueline are valid, his ability to force shots from the outside is why I value him so much. He's basically what we all wanted Andrew Ference to be. The guy is just a calming presence.

Del Zotto isn't defensive in any matter of the word. Kulikov I won't comment on, but Buffalo not re-signing him isn't a good sign and Franson, as I've stated before, should be in Edmonton with Russell.

I wouldnt say this. If by "knack" you mean around team average then yes. Its no special ability. Scoring chances for he ranks dead last as well as chances against. At best in different categories, hes is middle of the pack on the Oilers, at worst he last. Offensive wise ranks dead last again relative to rest of D core in nearly every category. So any benefits we get from him being below average defensively is washed away by no offensive ability

As far as MDZ, he actually ranks better than Russell is nearly every category, defensive and offensive. He is a +50% possession player across the board

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah so in that 3 day window they sign Russell (hes our draft pick), then we trade with a team for one of their unprotected players they want to get value for

Once teams submit their protection list, the league is not going to allow them to make trades during the 3 day window in order to skirt the expansion draft. Those three days are in place so Vegas has time to work out their roster, their cap and negotiate with prospective free agents they might want to select. Allowing teams to continue to make moves defeats the purpose of that 3 day window.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Regarding Russell, I like him and want him back.

But if he wants 4x4+ I let him try and go get it elsewhere. He tried to get the big pay day last year and no one was biting. If someone wants to bite this year, let them. I'd be more than willing to bring him back for a reasonable deal if he can't get the big pay day elsewhere.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
I'd have time for Seabrook the player, as I feel that while he's starting to decline a bit he'd still be effective in a 2nd pairing, power play role.

Seabrook on his current contract has very little value. He's got his cup reward money now and is signed until the end of his career, or possibly longer.

Nooo... rapidly declining player on a bad contract. If we're making a deal with Chicago, Hjalmarsson is the player to go after.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
"Well, part of when you have success and when you haven't had success and then have it, is that there's a lot of embers and coals that get re-heated and everything is a discussion point. You like that you're in the news and people are emotional about things you plan to do. The reality is with the way we'll have to spend our money in the future, probably will mean we have to move a player. When that future is I don't know - we've got basically a year to play with in my mind."

"I think Jordan outside of two players had the most touches, the most positive touches of the puck on our team. I don't feel the need to defend him, he didn't have a great or a good playoff, but he did a lot of things we expected him to, he just didn't have the offense. He creates space with his touches and I thought he played well. In his defense, it was the first time he's been in the playoffs. If you look back to a player like Datsyuk, look at his first year in the playoffs. He saw what he had to do without the puck and you know what, he didn't score, he's expected to. I think he (Ebs) has been unfairly criticized but a byproduct of having success and where the expectation are, unfortunately he falls in that category. He's a very good offensive player and I'm glad to have him on our team."

From Peter Chiarelli.

On McDavid + Drai: "We're going to sign them. I told players who need contracts beyond them they'd have to wait. I'm not going to get into negotiations. We're in them."

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
"Well, part of when you have success and when you haven't had success and then have it, is that there's a lot of embers and coals that get re-heated and everything is a discussion point. You like that you're in the news and people are emotional about things you plan to do. The reality is with the way we'll have to spend our money in the future, probably will mean we have to move a player. When that future is I don't know - we've got basically a year to play with in my mind."

"I think Jordan outside of two players had the most touches, the most positive touches of the puck on our team. I don't feel the need to defend him, he didn't have a great or a good playoff, but he did a lot of things we expected him to, he just didn't have the offense. He creates space with his touches and I thought he played well. In his defense, it was the first time he's been in the playoffs. If you look back to a player like Datsyuk, look at his first year in the playoffs. He saw what he had to do without the puck and you know what, he didn't score, he's expected to. I think he (Ebs) has been unfairly criticized but a byproduct of having success and where the expectation are, unfortunately he falls in that category. He's a very good offensive player and I'm glad to have him on our team."

From Peter Chiarelli.

Would be nice to skip to the draft and free agency day already.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
On Kris Russell:

"What I told Kris is we want him back. But here's our obstacles: I have to get through Drai and McDavid first. I'd like to have him back, not sure when we can do that, he knows how strongly we feel about him."

On their first rounder being in play:

"It's too early to know, I don't think so. Our scouts have put together a pretty good list. I'd like to get a young player. I'd say no right now, but who knows. It's such a draft where maybe you look to move down and you're into the second round and you get almost the same player."

On expansion:

"I think the world of George, he'll be busy. We're not really jockeying, it'd be a lot of wasted energy. Some teams have to jocky and I don't want to lose a player but we'll have to lose a player. We've got some irons in the fire as far as deals that we may do, I don't think they'll happen. I've had a couple discussions with George and Kelly and we'll continue having some, respecting the fact they have to have a good roster in place, so we'll just have to work through it."

(All quotes from Chiarelli)

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
On expansion:

"I think the world of George, he'll be busy. We're not really jockeying, it'd be a lot of wasted energy. Some teams have to jocky and I don't want to lose a player but we'll have to lose a player. We've got some irons in the fire as far as deals that we may do, I don't think they'll happen. I've had a couple discussions with George and Kelly and we'll continue having some, respecting the fact they have to have a good roster in place, so we'll just have to work through it."

(All quotes from Chiarelli)

I agree with this. Right now we stand to lose a non impact player. We are pretty golden and right on the edge of being in a poor position. Any additional moves require us to move around assets and open us up to being vulnerable in a trade (pre draft). In order for us to be motivated to make a deal that player must be damn good

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Franson won't cost you assets to acquire.

Green is a marginal upgrade on Franson and costs you a significant asset to acquire him. In one year that asset dies with his contract.

Eberle is not a depreciating asset. The only thing that 'depreciates' his value to a team looking for offense is his contract. We can fix that.

He's not just a marginal upgrade. Green can play in the top 4, Franson cannot. Who's gonna play in our top 4 while Sekera is out for 1/3 of the year? Are we gonna bank on Nurse or Benning being capable? That's a pretty big risk and that's assuming Russell is back here as well, possibility he may not even be back. It would seem likely we need another top 4 defenseman. Green is that and he can produce offence from the blue line. Something we weren't very good at doing last year.

I'd probably rather trade our 1st at the draft for Green but if it has to be Eberle then I'm ok with that, on the condition that we have a winger like Williams/Jagr on a short term deal who will replace a good portion of Eberle's scoring. Kind of like another Hall for Larsson knowing you're signing Lucic move.

In Green we are buying a year of a top 4 D-man. It gives us a little insurance to start the year and it's a flexible asset. Come next trade deadline, we will have Sekera back but also we will know if Nurse or Benning are capable of regular top 4 minutes. At that time we will also know where Green stands on re-signing, if they think they can't get it done then they can decide well we can either unload him at the deadline , probably for a 1st/2nd + prospect or they can just keep him for a run and treat him as a rental.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Regarding Russell, I like him and want him back.

But if he wants 4x4+ I let him try and go get it elsewhere. He tried to get the big pay day last year and no one was biting. If someone wants to bite this year, let them. I'd be more than willing to bring him back for a reasonable deal if he can't get the big pay day elsewhere.

I agree. Russell knows our systems and knows the players. UFAs take more than half the season getting used to a new team (remember Sekera). Russell is on par with the middle pack of UFA D this year. So if it cost 3-3.5 mil to get any of them, ill take Russell. Realistically we only need Russell or that UFA D for 1 more year. So Russell will be better than those UFA D for 75% of next year due to knowing the systems, so edge to him

Anything over 3 years or 4 mil, no thanks

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
For Russell, 2 years 3.5 per makes sense for both sides. Unless he took like 2M for 4 years instead. That would be something to look at.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
For Russell, 2 years 3.5 per makes sense for both sides. Unless he took like 2M for 4 years instead. That would be something to look at.

I would think his agent would see both of these as gross underpayments considering how his season was perceived.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I would think his agent would see both of these as gross underpayments considering how his season was perceived.

"I think Allain was looking for 4+" - Stauffer today on Oilers Now regarding Russell's term.

Allain Roy is Russell's agent.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

100% true

Dude comes late onto a team that:

1) gets a full regular season for a generational player. Art Ross/Hart performance
1A) Gets a Vezina level performance from Talbot (who should have been nominated).
1B) Has one of healthiest seasons for a team in a while
2) Gets a full season from Klefbom who performs at or near #1D levels
3) Has Sekera play one of his best seasons
4) Acquires Adam Larsson (whom fans also love)
5) Gets a 72 point season from Draisaitl
6) Gets 27 goals from Maroon to make up all offence lost from Hall
7) Gets solid play from Benning and Nurse and from most of depth players. Including 16 goals from Letetsu

And despite all those (specifically 1-5), he got attributed with a majority of the praise. Mostly because he wasnt on the poor teams in the past I guess. Its like saying Jarkko Ruutu was a main reason for the Pens turning the corner in 06/07 despite adding 85 point Malkin, Ryan Whitney potting 59 and MAF taking a big step

Perception can be severely distorted

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

I'd agree but bottom line is to get the type of UFA contract his agent would like, he's likely gonna have to end up in a location he doesn't really want to go to, playing for a team that probably won't be really competitive. So how much is staying in alberta, playing for a team you wanna play for worth to him?

Russell waited around all summer for offers that never came and ended up signing a 1 year deal in october. Since then he's a year older, and nothing in his game has really changed. If he didn't get the long term deal he was looking for last summer I doubt it's coming this year.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I agree. Russell knows our systems and knows the players. UFAs take more than half the season getting used to a new team (remember Sekera). Russell is on par with the middle pack of UFA D this year. So if it cost 3-3.5 mil to get any of them, ill take Russell. Realistically we only need Russell or that UFA D for 1 more year. So Russell will be better than those UFA D for 75% of next year due to knowing the systems, so edge to him

Anything over 3 years or 4 mil, no thanks

I find it interesting that for years we had a pathetic defense. Particularly at keeping pucks out of our net. Our top 4 was lucky to have 2 middle pairing type guys at anyone time.

Along comes Russell. Who I believe most clearly consider a legit top 4 defender that significantly helps reduce the amount of goals the Oilers let in.

Nurse is not ready for top 4 quality of competition and neither is Benning by most accounts.

Sekera is injured potentially through to January...

Leaving us 2 out of the 4 from the best defense the Oilers have had in ten years.

Russell can play his offside. Is a legit top 4 guy and especially under the circumstances is really needed.

Is he perfect, no. Do we all want something better, yes. Cap constraints, what is available, and what do we want to give up for something better... A very big moving target with few good landing spots.

You would hope Russell learned from trying to get a big payday and settles for less than 4 x 4. But really... what are legit options? Hope we build from within... Sign who? Trade what? I would prefer Russell not getting 4 x 4 but as long as it fits in with our cap, something Chiarelli is obviously most concerned with, you do it.

If Vegas doesn't take him, or any team really early July 1st, we most likely get him for a good deal. I would imagine the most we would pay him is 4 mill with a 2 or 3 year term. Overpaying him for a one year deal would suit the Oilers fine but I doubt Russell would accept that even at 5 mill. He should be able to get the same money at least as he did this year with 2+ years from someone. Which is better.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I want Russell out just so we don't have to hear any more media bickering about how good/bad/awesome/terrible he is.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
100% true

Dude comes late onto a team that:

1) gets a full regular season for a generational player. Art Ross/Hart performance
1A) Gets a Vezina level performance from Talbot (who should have been nominated).
1B) Has one of healthiest seasons for a team in a while
2) Gets a full season from Klefbom who performs at or near #1D levels
3) Has Sekera play one of his best seasons
4) Acquires Adam Larsson (whom fans also love)
5) Gets a 72 point season from Draisaitl
6) Gets 27 goals from Maroon to make up all offence lost from Hall
7) Gets solid play from Benning and Nurse and from most of depth players. Including 16 goals from Letetsu

And despite all those (specifically 1-5), he got attributed with a majority of the praise. Mostly because he wasnt on the poor teams in the past I guess. Its like saying Jarkko Ruutu was a main reason for the Pens turning the corner in 06/07 despite adding 85 point Malkin, Ryan Whitney potting 59 and MAF taking a big step

Perception can be severely distorted

Agree. Those are fan perceptions. Not GM perceptions. Just look at what he said about Hall/Larsson. They "always" knew Larson's value

I doubt many GM's will be fooled by Russell's situation here. His play will still speak for itself. Lots of good, lots of bad. Still an NHL player nonetheless. Great lockeroom guy by many testimonials

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We gotta make a play for Mike Green if we're not signing Russell IMO.

Cannot go into the season with that D.

EDM 1st 2017 or EDM 2018 to Detroit. Enjoy.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I want Russell out just so we don't have to hear any more media bickering about how good/bad/awesome/terrible he is.

Who cares what the media says? With Sekera gone, the D is weak and Russell showed how valuable he was for the team during the playoffs. He's a warrior and it probably rubs off on other players as well. I think you can win a Cup with a guy like Russell on your roster.

Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-???
Nurse-Benning

Will most likely be the starting D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad