Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread | Lebrun Speculates Jan Rutta Weekend Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Green undoubtedly has the capability of playing in the top four over Franson, but I wouldn't discount our ability of making it work for the time Sekera is out. Franson does have experience in an elevated role in his time in Toronto. McLellan said he liked the combination of Nurse-Larsson in the Anaheim series in the absence of Klefbom and Sekera. Nurse and Benning themselves played elevated minutes at times during the regular season as well.

I don't think we're going to be put in a situation where we're going to have to tap into our limited future assets to fill in for a regular season injury.

Regardless, as I've said before. Little Caesar's arena is opening this year. Mike Green's not going anywhere unless they're shedding salary. If they are: have at it.

All the Little Caesars pizza in the world isn't getting them into the playoffs next year.

Even in trade proposals on this board, many Wings fans have said yes to EDM 1st for Green or Eberle for Green.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Not worried about Leon I just can't see him leaving here knows he will get paid fairly and has a chance to win. Not many teams can offer that.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not worried about Leon I just can't see him leaving here knows he will get paid fairly and has a chance to win. Not many teams can offer that.

Building something from the basement up is pretty special too IMO.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
All the Little Caesars pizza in the world isn't getting them into the playoffs next year.

Even in trade proposals on this board, many Wings fans have said yes to EDM 1st for Green or Eberle for Green.

Still don't see the Wings trading him unless they're eyeing someone like Shattenkirk. And I still don't see it being a good trade for us--either Eberle or the 1st. Way too much of an investment for a regular season fill in. Unless we got him on the cheap, I'd far prefer a more rounded defender on a lower price tag and us getting to keep our future assets.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah no, I'm not really worried about that stuff. Leon got a taste of some of the bitter here too in his rookie year, so seeing it turn like this and being a big part of it is something that burns itself into a player.

Plus you can tell he and Connor are bros.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why do people always worry about offer sheets? Every summer people fret about them.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Still don't see the Wings trading him unless they're eyeing someone like Shattenkirk. And I still don't see it being a good trade for us--either Eberle or the 1st. Way too much of an investment for a regular season fill in. Unless we got him on the cheap, I'd far prefer a more rounded defender on a lower price tag and us getting to keep our future assets.

Who is more rounded and available for cheaper? This isn't the grocery store where there are 50 choices of cheese.

The pickings for D every year are slim precisely because teams know defensive depth is worth what water is in a desert.

Besides I think he is actually a good age for us, because if he does well here for the year, he might be more amenable to a 2-year extension or thereabouts afterwards, whereas a 29-30 year old is going to want a 5-6 year extension contract. Keeping guys coming in for 2-3 years is the ticket for us, it's what teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago do too.

He has a canon of a point shot which we lack and which is vitally important in the playoffs (look at half the goals scored are either a point shot/tip or caused by a point shot and the subsequent chaos), he is a good puck mover, he is experienced at playing on a high octane team.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013

Thanks for the replies and discussion on this... I did think I read from Pierre Lebrun or someone that Vegas can sign RFA's with ZERO compensation?? I read that and thought WTF. Then I didn't think we could protect Dari if he is a RFA?? How do you protect a guy with no contract?? Hey if this is a non issue then great, but when I read that Lebrun piece I was concerned.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Thanks for the replies and discussion on this... I did think I read from Pierre Lebrun or someone that Vegas can sign RFA's with ZERO compensation?? I read that and thought WTF. Then I didn't think we could protect Dari if he is a RFA?? How do you protect a guy with no contract?? Hey if this is a non issue then great, but when I read that Lebrun piece I was concerned.

Your protecting the rights to the unsigned player. Kinda like when a player bolts to the KHL you still own their rights even though they have a contract with another hockey team. There is no way the league would have ok'd the ability to Vegas to poach their best RFA players unless they signed them within a month of the season ending.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Still gotta play the regular season to get to the playoffs, this team while making huge improvements is still coming together and forcing guys like Nurse, Benning, Franson into positions we don't know for sure they can handle is a bad idea.

Maybe Green isn't available but he's a pretty good fit for our needs and situation. Name me another bonified top 4 defenseman, that we could acquire via trade for Eberle or the 1st (post expansion), that doesn't have a cap hit or term that will cause problems for us in the coming years.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Who is more rounded and available for cheaper? This isn't the grocery store where there are 50 choices of cheese.

The pickings for D every year are slim precisely because teams know defensive depth is worth what water is in a desert.

Besides I think he is actually a good age for us, because if he does well here for the year, he might be more amenable to a 2-year extension or thereabouts afterwards, whereas a 29-30 year old is going to want a 5-6 year extension contract. Keeping guys coming in for 2-3 years is the ticket for us, it's what teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago do too.

He has a canon of a point shot which we lack and which is vitally important in the playoffs (look at half the goals scored are either a point shot/tip or caused by a point shot and the subsequent chaos), he is a good puck mover, he is experienced at playing on a high octane team.

Franson offers both of these attributes at a fraction of the cost and zero assets to acquire. He also offers a game more suited for the Western Conference. Green offers me visions of Schultz which is why I had him penciled in on our bottom pairing with Nurse when I was suggesting we deal for him at the deadline.

I've thought the Mike Green scenario through, but that was before we were a win away from the conference final. The team we have now is very competitive. I have no interest in burning valuable assets on a one off--at least until the trade deadline.

Still gotta play the regular season to get to the playoffs, this team while making huge improvements is still coming together and forcing guys like Nurse, Benning, Franson into positions we don't know for sure they can handle is a bad idea.

Maybe Green isn't available but he's a pretty good fit for our needs and situation. Name me another bonified top 4 defenseman, that we could acquire via trade for Eberle or the 1st (post expansion), that doesn't have a cap hit or term that will cause problems for us in the coming years.

You're not telling me anything I don't already know here. It's the exact reason why I chastise people for overhauling the roster in their proposals. As I've already stated, this roster is a competitive one. I think it's extremely unnecessary to use valued assets to fill a temporary role with a high priced acquisition. We don't need a bona fide top four defenseman to fill in for one for 20 or 30 games. We also don't need one who leans more towards the offensive aspect of defense.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Franson's point shot isn't that great. Green has a better first pass out of our zone too. Plus Franson will likely want more than a 1-year deal.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Yeah I'm not worried either after hearing the Chiarelli interview with TSN. He said he's already in negotiations with Draisaitl and McDavid. I imagine this gets done sooner rather than later so Chia can move on to the team's other FAs and unrestricted free agency.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
For those that want Mike Green... is he even on the market? Why does Detroit dump him? Wouldn't they want him to help their D and give them some offensive punch from their blueline?

On top of that he has a NTC which makes it even more unlikely he'd be acquired.

I haven't heard any definitive statements about his availability one way or the other, but it's pretty plain to see why they'd trade him and why he'd waive.

They're a cap strapped team in the middle of a re-tool that is probably not going to make the playoffs next year. He's a 6M dollar player with one year left until unrestricted free agency, and unless there's some heretofore unknown family commitments that has him wanting to stay, I'm not sure why he'd want to use up one his last viable seasons on a team that can't win when he's not committing past one year to any new team.

He's from the area, too.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I haven't heard any definitive statements about his availability one way or the other, but it's pretty plain to see why they'd trade him and why he'd waive.

They're a cap strapped team in the middle of a re-tool that is probably not going to make the playoffs next year. He's a 6M dollar player with one year left until unrestricted free agency, and unless there's some heretofore unknown family commitments that has him wanting to stay, I'm not sure why he'd want to use up one his last viable seasons on a team that can't win when he's not committing past one year to any new team.

He's from the area, too.

it's definitely worth it for Chia to ask about Green, but in general I think fans have a greater appetite to rebuild than management does. After their frustrating season, missing the playoffs, it can feel like it's best to just tear it down. Boston fans said the same thing, but Boston management brought them back to the playoffs, and it was probably the same with big segments of the Sharks fanbase after they missed the playoffs that one year. There are still great players on Detroit. If they buy instead of sell, they could be the next Bruins.

There's also the fact that rebuilds are messy. No one knows this more than us. If Wings pull the plug on their team, there's no knowing where the bottom of the suffering is. And the fans that are pro rebuild now will have zero sympathy for their management if things go wrong.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Yeah I'm not worried either after hearing the Chiarelli interview with TSN. He said he's already in negotiations with Draisaitl and McDavid. I imagine this gets done sooner rather than later so Chia can move on to the team's other FAs and unrestricted free agency.

That's tampering, bro.

I'm pretty sure we can't talk numbers and term with McDavid until July 1st. Drai can be signed anytime but it seems Chia wants to get McDavid done first.

As for this Vegas stuff, it's only unprotected RFA's they can sign in the three day window, and that would count as their expansion pick. Khaira and Reinhart fit that description for the Oilers. Of course Vegas can select them anyways and own their rights, giving them all summer to work out a deal.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
That's tampering, bro.

I'm pretty sure we can't talk numbers and term with McDavid until July 1st. Drai can be signed anytime but it seems Chia wants to get McDavid done first.

As for this Vegas stuff, it's only unprotected RFA's they can sign in the three day window, and that would count as their expansion pick. Khaira and Reinhart fit that description for the Oilers. Of course Vegas can select them anyways and own their rights, giving them all summer to work out a deal.

You cant tamper with you own players lol.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
it's definitely worth it for Chia to ask about Green, but in general I think fans have a greater appetite to rebuild than management does. After their frustrating season, missing the playoffs, it can feel like it's best to just tear it down. Boston fans said the same thing, but Boston management brought them back to the playoffs, and it was probably the same with big segments of the Sharks fanbase after they missed the playoffs that one year. There are still great players on Detroit. If they buy instead of sell, they could be the next Bruins.

There's also the fact that rebuilds are messy. No one knows this more than us. If Wings pull the plug on their team, there's no knowing where the bottom of the suffering is. And the fans that are pro rebuild now will have zero sympathy for their management if things go wrong.

Detroit is clearly not tearing it down, but they have money problems and Mike Green is a 31 year old UFA.

I don't get the sense they expect to make the playoffs next year, so what's the advantage to holding onto him?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Does anyone really think that Draisaitl would sign with Vegas. He won't even get a sniff of the playoffs again for 5 years.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Whatever you want to call it, it's against the rules in the CBA.

That's one you gotta point out to be believed. I'm pretty sure as long as you are extending your own player with a salary increase you can do it at any point in their contract. I am open to being proven wrong though.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Detroit is clearly not tearing it down, but they have money problems and Mike Green is a 31 year old UFA.

I don't get the sense they expect to make the playoffs next year, so what's the advantage to holding onto him?

I don't think money problems are a reason to move a player like Green, who is important if they want to try to win. Trading him now without replacement would be a tear down move

Green being an impending UFA just makes him a target to be moved at the trade deadline IF the Wings are terrible, not now while there is still hope.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
That's one you gotta point out to be believed. I'm pretty sure as long as you are extending your own player with a salary increase you can do it at any point in their contract. I am open to being proven wrong though.

It's too late to go digging into the CBA tonight but I'm sure we can't extend McDavid until July 1st and couldn't extend Puljujarvi until July 1st of 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->