Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread | Lebrun Speculates Jan Rutta Weekend Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yeah, two of our top four defensemen before game one next season. That'd be awesome.

Other options are better. Plus lets not simply assume Russell is resigning here. Likely getting 4.5 mil and that is what has came out he is asking for. So either we overpay him, or hes no longer with us. Id rather the second option WITH him being our draft pick so we lose noone else

Either we were going to give him 4.5 and Vegas jumped infront of that bullet, or he was gone anyway but now allows us to keep Reinhart/Brossoit AND make a major move at ED time to take on what ever player we want because they cant take anyone from us

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I just now considered the possibilty if they signed Russell before the actual expansion draft that we could trade for Spurgeon/Hamonic/Vatanen/Ellis/what ever team is in trouble and not have to worry about losing anyone in the expansion draft.

Ok now I really want them to sign Russell

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Green isn't just a PPQB, he's a competent puck mover both with his passing and skating. While he definitely would add another look and option to our PP he's also adept at putting up points 5v5 and this team needs the back end producing more, we were one of the worst in that regard last season. Also Green might not be a top flight defender but he is miles ahead of Franson in that regard.

Your quest to maximize the value we get out of Eberle is coming at the cost of icing a better current team when in reality there is a middle of the road option where we improve the current team while still ensuring we still get value out of Eberle.

There is this giant hurdle that is Eberle's contract. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GET A BETTER PLAYER FOR JORDAN EBERLE. Trading the player Jordan Eberle is going to make your team worse in the very short term--which is why you sign Justin Williams. Parlaying the asset Jordan Eberle into several future pieces will help your team in the long run. Trading him for Green will not.

The Edmonton Oilers are going to be a cap team in the not so distant future. They currently hold one of the weakest crops of forward prospects in professional hockey. For teams to sustain success long-term, they need young players to consisently step in. Good teams also need to have assets to trade prior to playoff runs.

If the Oilers are a contender this year, our high picks at the next two or three or four drafts are probably on the table. How the **** are we going to improve our prospect cabinet if we're trading one of our most valuable tradeable commodities for free agent 32 year old defenseman?

Franson may not be better than Green--he's not. But Franson is FREE. Green is not. And the difference in skill between the two is not worth pissing away those future assets. Especially when the role those guys are filling, is one you don't need a bloody superstar for. He's REPLACING GRYBA!

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Other options are better. Plus lets not simply assume Russell is resigning here. Likely getting 4.5 mil and that is what has came out he is asking for. So either we overpay him, or hes no longer with us. Id rather the second option WITH him being our draft pick so we lose noone else

Either we were going to give him 4.5 and Vegas jumped infront of that bullet, or he was gone anyway but now allows us to keep Reinhart/Brossoit AND make a major move at ED time to take on what ever player we want because they cant take anyone from us

Haven't seen anything regarding that number. That being said, I'm more worried about term than his salary this year. The Oilers are going to be short Sekera for a significant number of games, Russell is going to be needed to be a vetran presence on that defense.

Other options are not better. Because the ones available in FA cost you salary, term and in many cases, no movement clauses. If Russell is willing to take a two or three year deal, you give it to him. He was a substantial reason why we got to where we were last year.

Honestly, I'm not worried much about who we lose in expansion. I'll be thoroughly disappointed if it's Reinhart, which is probably about 60/40 it happens, but there's no one that's going to be available to them who isn't immediately replaceable on our current depth chart.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I just now considered the possibilty if they signed Russell before the actual expansion draft that we could trade for Spurgeon/Hamonic/Vatanen/Ellis/what ever team is in trouble and not have to worry about losing anyone in the expansion draft.

Ok now I really want them to sign Russell

Vegas can't sign players until the expansion draft. Teams submit their list of protected players on June 18th. Vegas than has 3 days to complete their 30 player draft. They can only sign players who are left unprotected by their team, and the player that they sign counts as the player they are taking in the draft. So in the case you're describing where they sign Russell to a contract that is part of the expansion draft. They don't get a window to sign players and then another window for the expansion draft. It all happens over the same three day period and their team will be announced during the NHL award ceremony I believe.

I imagine once teams submit their protected lists to the league there will be a roster freeze until after Vegas has made their selections.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Haven't seen anything regarding that number. That being said, I'm more worried about term than his salary this year. The Oilers are going to be short Sekera for a significant number of games, Russell is going to be needed to be a vetran presence on that defense.

Other options are not better. Because the ones available in FA cost you salary, term and in many cases, no movement clauses. If Russell is willing to take a two or three year deal, you give it to him. He was a substantial reason why we got to where we were last year.

Honestly, I'm not worried much about who we lose in expansion. I'll be thoroughly disappointed if it's Reinhart, which is probably about 60/40 it happens, but there's no one that's going to be available to them who isn't immediately replaceable on our current depth chart.

4.5 mil is what Staples had indicated was his ask.

Kris Russell is around the 7th/8th best UFA D this year. You can forsure find one for 3-3.5 mil for short term and one is also a similar or better D. Russell is with the MDZs, Fransons and Kulikovs of this free agent class. Russell was an ok stop gap but he costed a substantial amount of offence to this team and he needs to be upgraded. We would have been in a similar spot with numerous other players. The main reason we go to where we were is 1. McDavid 1A) Talbot 2) Klefbom 3) health 4) Larsson 5) Sekera... #28) Good weather #29) Russell

Even tho I feel Reinhart is a meh player with only #5 upside, id rather keep him still

Vegas signing Russell is an ideal outcome for me. But I am under the assumption he is signing for 4.5 mil and high chance he is looking elsewhere. If he takes 3 mil, id be ok with him.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Vegas can't sign players until the expansion draft. Teams submit their list of protected players on June 18th. Vegas than has 3 days to complete their 30 player draft. They can only sign players who are left unprotected by their team, and the player that they sign counts as the player they are taking in the draft. So in the case you're describing where they sign Russell to a contract that is part of the expansion draft. They don't get a window to sign players and then another window for the expansion draft. It all happens over the same three day period and their team will be announced during the NHL award ceremony I believe.

I imagine once teams submit their protected lists to the league there will be a roster freeze until after Vegas has made their selections.

Yeah so in that 3 day window they sign Russell (hes our draft pick), then we trade with a team for one of their unprotected players they want to get value for

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Wow, that really is amazing if they sign russell from us right away. Give us a few days to work out a deal for a dman or 2 without sweating.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Wow, that really is amazing if they sign russell from us right away. Give us a few days to work out a deal for a dman or 2 without sweating.

Hopefully McPhee likes Russell half as much as HFOil :laugh: Hell have a selection of 10-15 better D in expansion draft and 6-7 similar D in UFA/RFA that he can pick from. But it just takes one GM like him loving a certain player to take him and set us up wonderfully

Glass Eyes

Jan 2, 2017
Stauffer said Russell signing for 2-3 years at a similar price he had this year is virtually impossible at this point. He said his agency will be pushing hard for 4 years at 4m+.

That's a brutal contract and I want no part of Russell to begin with.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
There is this giant hurdle that is Eberle's contract. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GET A BETTER PLAYER FOR JORDAN EBERLE. Trading the player Jordan Eberle is going to make your team worse in the very short term--which is why you sign Justin Williams. Parlaying the asset Jordan Eberle into several future pieces will help your team in the long run. Trading him for Green will not.

The Edmonton Oilers are going to be a cap team in the not so distant future. They currently hold one of the weakest crops of forward prospects in professional hockey. For teams to sustain success long-term, they need young players to consisently step in. Good teams also need to have assets to trade prior to playoff runs.

If the Oilers are a contender this year, our high picks at the next two or three or four drafts are probably on the table. How the **** are we going to improve our prospect cabinet if we're trading one of our most valuable tradeable commodities for free agent 32 year old defenseman?

Franson may not be better than Green--he's not. But Franson is FREE. Green is not. And the difference in skill between the two is not worth pissing away those future assets. Especially when the role those guys are filling, is one you don't need a bloody superstar for. He's REPLACING GRYBA!
Love the bolded text...i have more use for Green on my team than Eberle. Supposedly you can trade Eberle for a wealth of prospect riches...i don't see that happening anytime soon. Also Franson isn't free and with an Eberle trade you are trading out a contract and getting one back. With Franson you just bring in more salary. Eberle is a depreciating asset, cut him loose now.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
So apparently Kadri would bring back a #1 dman in a trade according to one thread I read on the trade board. :snide:

Typical leaf fans.

Stauffer said Russell signing for 2-3 years at a similar price he had this year is virtually impossible at this point. He said his agency will be pushing hard for 4 years at 4m+.

Yeah, I don't see the Oilers remotely being interested resigning him for that. He's probably gone.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
Yeah so in that 3 day window they sign Russell (hes our draft pick), then we trade with a team for one of their unprotected players they want to get value for

It's not gonna happen Ace. Get your head out of the sand.

QFT

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

I find it difficult to believe that Russel will get that kind of money

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Sail on Shot Blocking Prince. 4m for 4 years is complete no go (especially since 4 mil is the base..)

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
4.5 mil is what Staples had indicated was his ask.

Kris Russell is around the 7th/8th best UFA D this year. You can forsure find one for 3-3.5 mil for short term and one is also a similar or better D. Russell is with the MDZs, Fransons and Kulikovs of this free agent class. Russell was an ok stop gap but he costed a substantial amount of offence to this team and he needs to be upgraded. We would have been in a similar spot with numerous other players. The main reason we go to where we were is 1. McDavid 1A) Talbot 2) Klefbom 3) health 4) Larsson 5) Sekera... #28) Good weather #29) Russell

Even tho I feel Reinhart is a meh player with only #5 upside, id rather keep him still

Vegas signing Russell is an ideal outcome for me. But I am under the assumption he is signing for 4.5 mil and high chance he is looking elsewhere. If he takes 3 mil, id be ok with him.

If that's his ask, we're probably settling somewhere under $4m, which is what I'd be more than comfortable with. Russell has a knack for preventing quality scoring chances. Though his flaws pertaining to weak breakouts and giving up the blueline are valid, his ability to force shots from the outside is why I value him so much. He's basically what we all wanted Andrew Ference to be. The guy is just a calming presence.

Del Zotto isn't defensive in any matter of the word. Kulikov I won't comment on, but Buffalo not re-signing him isn't a good sign and Franson, as I've stated before, should be in Edmonton with Russell.

Admittedly, the Vegas spin leaves a lot of things up in the air because we really have no idea what direction that team is going. But I can tell you us losing Russell doesn't benefit us at all.

Glass Eyes

Jan 2, 2017
Bob said minimum 4 years and 4m+. It's his last chance for a big deal and there's people who think he had a good year so maybe there's a team that does too.

The Oilers can't be the team that gives him that contract.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Love the bolded text...i have more use for Green on my team than Eberle. Supposedly you can trade Eberle for a wealth of prospect riches...i don't see that happening anytime soon. Also Franson isn't free and with an Eberle trade you are trading out a contract and getting one back. With Franson you just bring in more salary. Eberle is a depreciating asset, cut him loose now.

Franson won't cost you assets to acquire.

Green is a marginal upgrade on Franson and costs you a significant asset to acquire him. In one year that asset dies with his contract.

Eberle is not a depreciating asset. The only thing that 'depreciates' his value to a team looking for offense is his contract. We can fix that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad