Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread | Lebrun Speculates Jan Rutta Weekend Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
We gotta make a play for Mike Green if we're not signing Russell IMO.

Cannot go into the season with that D.

EDM 1st 2017 or EDM 2018 to Detroit. Enjoy.

I have no idea on the value here, but Green would be a great Russel replacement for this year. I fully agree

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
IMO we should look at trading Griffin Reinhart too. I'm pretty certain Vegas is going to take him for nothing, so we should move him and force them to take one of Pakarinen, Fayne, Khaira or Pouliot.

Reinhart to Canucks for VAN 2nd, turn around and maybe use that pick to go after Mike Green.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I find it interesting that for years we had a pathetic defense. Particularly at keeping pucks out of our net. Our top 4 was lucky to have 2 middle pairing type guys at anyone time.

Along comes Russell. Who I believe most clearly consider a legit top 4 defender that significantly helps reduce the amount of goals the Oilers let in.

Nurse is not ready for top 4 quality of competition and neither is Benning by most accounts.

Sekera is injured potentially through to January...

Leaving us 2 out of the 4 from the best defense the Oilers have had in ten years.

Russell can play his offside. Is a legit top 4 guy and especially under the circumstances is really needed.

Is he perfect, no. Do we all want something better, yes. Cap constraints, what is available, and what do we want to give up for something better... A very big moving target with few good landing spots.

You would hope Russell learned from trying to get a big payday and settles for less than 4 x 4. But really... what are legit options? Hope we build from within... Sign who? Trade what? I would prefer Russell not getting 4 x 4 but as long as it fits in with our cap, something Chiarelli is obviously most concerned with, you do it.

If Vegas doesn't take him, or any team really early July 1st, we most likely get him for a good deal. I would imagine the most we would pay him is 4 mill with a 2 or 3 year term. Overpaying him for a one year deal would suit the Oilers fine but I doubt Russell would accept that even at 5 mill. He should be able to get the same money at least as he did this year with 2+ years from someone. Which is better.

By whose accounts? Yours? Benning is more than ready for more minutes and played as such.

Sekera is not out until Jan, everyone step off the ledge. Its a 6 month injury that will keep him out till mid October. Jan would be 10 months which is longer than they already obtuse 9 month time table. GMs always give the way long end of spectrum for injuries. This type of injury takes 6 months as weve seen numerous players come back in that time

There is plenty of D able to do what Russell does. Russell is near the bottom end of the middle tier of UFA D. So many options to replace him and all have been beaten to death.

4 mil * 4 years borders on untradeable after next year. This is a dude who was playing for his life this year trying to get that last big deal (which hes never had). And this was the MAX well ever get out of him. This was his contract, pinnacle year. Anyone wanna bet what we get out of him next year or year after when he has his 4 mil and big contract?

Sure we have the space for 4 mil next juuuust barely, but year after? not so much, hes already a cap dump. And this isnt NHL 17 where you can just trade players easily, if Russell gets 4 years, no way Chia deals him after 1, hed look to Sekera *shudders* to deal. Then not to mention, if you get a UFA D for 3 mil (which you canif you are a good GM), then you have 1 million extra to use in trades or however you want

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
IMO we should look at trading Griffin Reinhart too. I'm pretty certain Vegas is going to take him for nothing, so we should move him and force them to take one of Pakarinen, Fayne, Khaira or Pouliot.

Plus his value is still sort of high. Next year if he doesnt make NHL he is a complete bust

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
edit: nvm

I am partially responsible but can we move all Russell talk to Russell thread. Distracts the convo and all the Russell as being important talk is bad for my health

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
In a vacuum: Russell > Del Zotto or Kulikov in my eyes, but Russell @4x4 < Del Zotto or Kulikov @3.1x1 without a second thought.

I like Russell as a stabilizing force for Nurse or Benning, but a moderately expensive, long term contract is exactly thing this team can't be giving out at this point; and I think Chai's learned this lesson from Boston days and signing Kelly and Seidenberg to bloated contracts. With the top end of the defence locked up long term, and a number of good cheap prospects on their way up, if Russell wants term, than I'd wish him well wherever else he ends up.

This team got Russell on a 1 year deal because he mis-read the market, something that happens to several guys every year. These are the value guys in FA, and how this team should be filling depth positions.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
We gotta make a play for Mike Green if we're not signing Russell IMO.

Cannot go into the season with that D.

EDM 1st 2017 or EDM 2018 to Detroit. Enjoy.

I don't think our options are anywhere near as limited as no Russell, then it's Mike Green or bust.

We have an expansion draft upon us and a lot of teams who would rather trade a d-man opposed to flat out losing one via the expansion draft for nothing.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

Reinhart to Canucks for VAN 2nd, turn around and maybe use that pick to go after Mike Green.

I doubt Reinhart has that type of value. I'd prefer we just use Reinhart as a "sacrifice" to save a guy like Khaira. I feel he's more valuable anyways

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
For those that want Mike Green... is he even on the market? Why does Detroit dump him? Wouldn't they want him to help their D and give them some offensive punch from their blueline?

On top of that he has a NTC which makes it even more unlikely he'd be acquired.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
For those that want Mike Green... is he even on the market? Why does Detroit dump him? Wouldn't they want him to help their D and give them some offensive punch from their blueline?

On top of that he has a NTC which makes it even more unlikely he'd be acquired.

They're rebuilding, he's going to be dealt either this summer or at the deadline for like a 2nd rounder because he only has 1 year left on his deal. Why not get a 1st rounder if you're Detroit? It's a good asset return

He's from Alberta and would be going from a non-playoff team to a contender (yes, we are a contender now, get used to that) with the best young player in the game. He'd waive IMO.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
OK is anyone else more than a bit concerned about Vegas and Draiaitl?? Dari proved this year at 21 he is the real deal. Top 10 scorer in the league and will only get stronger and better in the next few years. Now Vegas can sign him with ZERO compensation! They could legitimately offer him $10 X 7 or even more and the Oil would be in trouble. They'd have the face of their franchise and be set. Gotta get him done...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
OK is anyone else more than a bit concerned about Vegas and Draiaitl?? Dari proved this year at 21 he is the real deal. Top 10 scorer in the league and will only get stronger and better in the next few years. Now Vegas can sign him with ZERO compensation! They could legitimately offer him $10 X 7 or even more and the Oil would be in trouble. They'd have the face of their franchise and be set. Gotta get him done...

Wouldn't Draisaitl be protected?

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

Vegas would still have to give us picks.. what do you mean zero compensation?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

The only way Vegas can sign him to a contract without giving the Oilers compensation is if the Oilers left him unprotected in the expansion draft.

Which obviously isn't going to happen.

https://www.nhl.com/news/vegas-gold...me-with-nhl-expansion-draft-lists/c-289658720
The Golden Knights can sign any restricted or unrestricted free agent left unprotected by his team, and the window for them to do that was also increased from 48 hours to 72 hours between those dates (June 18-21). These free agents would not otherwise be allowed to sign with a team different than the one they played for this season until July 1.

It doesn't matter if Draisaitl is signed by June 18th or not so long as he's on our protected list. Which he will be. There is nothing to be concerned about.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
By whose accounts? Yours? Benning is more than ready for more minutes and played as such.

Sekera is not out until Jan, everyone step off the ledge. Its a 6 month injury that will keep him out till mid October. Jan would be 10 months which is longer than they already obtuse 9 month time table. GMs always give the way long end of spectrum for injuries. This type of injury takes 6 months as weve seen numerous players come back in that time

There is plenty of D able to do what Russell does. Russell is near the bottom end of the middle tier of UFA D. So many options to replace him and all have been beaten to death.

4 mil * 4 years borders on untradeable after next year. This is a dude who was playing for his life this year trying to get that last big deal (which hes never had). And this was the MAX well ever get out of him. This was his contract, pinnacle year. Anyone wanna bet what we get out of him next year or year after when he has his 4 mil and big contract?

Sure we have the space for 4 mil next juuuust barely, but year after? not so much, hes already a cap dump. And this isnt NHL 17 where you can just trade players easily, if Russell gets 4 years, no way Chia deals him after 1, hed look to Sekera *shudders* to deal. Then not to mention, if you get a UFA D for 3 mil (which you canif you are a good GM), then you have 1 million extra to use in trades or however you want

We don't know that Benning is ready for full time top 4 minutes and it's a fools' bet to assume that he is. Good teams don't push unknowns into top 4 minutes just because they couldn't find anybody better. They force young players to earn those minutes and Benning had a lot of ups and downs even in a bottom pairing role.

Also, Sekera got injured in May so it's a November return at the very best and it will likely take him a long while after that to get back to 100% so can't really count on him to be his normal self next season.

I wouldn't give Russell 4 years under any circumstance but with the Sekera injury, it has become a bigger priority to get him signed even though I'm not his biggest fan because he's familiar with the system and it's not easy to find capable Dmen and they probably need another Dman add as Nurse and Benning aren't consistent enough to be relied upon as a top 4 defender on a team will have a lot of pressure to contend next season.

The Oilers had a great season last year but there was A LOT of luck involved on the injury front. Can't count on that type of luck again this season, gotta build up the depth this offseason.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The only teams I could see giving Russell 4x4 are maaaaybe Vegas, Colorado, or Calgary if they're stupid.

I say let him ride it out again all summer and revisit in July again if he is unsigned still. He didn't get the deal he wanted last year and there's a good chance he won't get the one he wants this year IMO.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
yes, exactly this, but Vegas would attempt to offer sheet him, and won't care what compensation it will cost them.

I think you're underestimating the importance of Vegas' first round pick for the next four drafts for them to build a franchise.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The only teams I could see giving Russell 4x4 are maaaaybe Vegas, Colorado, or Calgary if they're stupid.

I say let him ride it out again all summer and revisit in July again if he is unsigned still. He didn't get the deal he wanted last year and there's a good chance he won't get the one he wants this year IMO.

Imo Russell's profile has increased after our D has seen such an amazing improvement in terms of playing D. Russell has been a part of that, and his last few games in the playoffs were brilliant.

Teams like Winnipeg and Colorado might be desperate to add that element to their teams. Probably them and about 4 other teams would give Russell the kind of numbers your saying. Maybe even the Demers contract. 4.5 AAV x 5 years. Even if Russell is overpaid, he's at least always useful. He will always give something to your team. Shot blocks, PK, and smart play in the D zone. And he's now established that he can match up to the best forwards in the league in the playoffs.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think you're underestimating the importance of Vegas' first round pick for the next four drafts for them to build a franchise.

Draft picks are overrated, and rebuilding through the draft is now harder than ever with these new rules that push basement teams out of the top 5 in the draft.

Not only that, but with the new expansion protection rules, this Vegas team will be the most talented expansion team ever. They will be about a .500 team probably, which means that the draft won't give them a great chance at impact players. The biggest flaw their team will have, is the lack of a 1C. I would bet the Vegas owner would demand that they go after Draisaitl. Then they will be thinking playoffs in year 1.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Imo Russell's profile has increased after our D has seen such an amazing improvement in terms of playing D. Russell has been a part of that, and his last few games in the playoffs were brilliant.

Teams like Winnipeg and Colorado might be desperate to add that element to their teams. Probably them and about 4 other teams would give Russell the kind of numbers your saying. Maybe even the Demers contract. 4.5 AAV x 5 years. Even if Russell is overpaid, he's at least always useful. He will always give something to your team. Shot blocks, PK, and smart play in the D zone. And he's now established that he can match up to the best forwards in the league in the playoffs.

To be honest though he did not really put up great offensive numbers last year.

If a team wants to give him 4 years that's fine. Even 3 years I think is too much for us.

We have too much salary coming up on our books, one of Eberle/RNH are going to have to go after next season too, on top of not being able to afford Russell.

Other options we may want to look at -- Mike Green, Alex Edler, Jay Bouwmeester, Francois Beaucheman, Ryan Murray, maaaaaybe Hamonic (though the cost there is likely RNH).

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He's not just a marginal upgrade. Green can play in the top 4, Franson cannot. Who's gonna play in our top 4 while Sekera is out for 1/3 of the year? Are we gonna bank on Nurse or Benning being capable? That's a pretty big risk and that's assuming Russell is back here as well, possibility he may not even be back. It would seem likely we need another top 4 defenseman. Green is that and he can produce offence from the blue line. Something we weren't very good at doing last year.

I'd probably rather trade our 1st at the draft for Green but if it has to be Eberle then I'm ok with that, on the condition that we have a winger like Williams/Jagr on a short term deal who will replace a good portion of Eberle's scoring. Kind of like another Hall for Larsson knowing you're signing Lucic move.

In Green we are buying a year of a top 4 D-man. It gives us a little insurance to start the year and it's a flexible asset. Come next trade deadline, we will have Sekera back but also we will know if Nurse or Benning are capable of regular top 4 minutes. At that time we will also know where Green stands on re-signing, if they think they can't get it done then they can decide well we can either unload him at the deadline , probably for a 1st/2nd + prospect or they can just keep him for a run and treat him as a rental.

Green undoubtedly has the capability of playing in the top four over Franson, but I wouldn't discount our ability of making it work for the time Sekera is out. Franson does have experience in an elevated role in his time in Toronto. McLellan said he liked the combination of Nurse-Larsson in the Anaheim series in the absence of Klefbom and Sekera. Nurse and Benning themselves played elevated minutes at times during the regular season as well.

I don't think we're going to be put in a situation where we're going to have to tap into our limited future assets to fill in for a regular season injury.

Regardless, as I've said before. Little Caesar's arena is opening this year. Mike Green's not going anywhere unless they're shedding salary. If they are: have at it.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Green undoubtedly has the capability of playing in the top four over Franson, but I wouldn't discount our ability of making it work for the time Sekera is out. Franson does have experience in an elevated role in his time in Toronto. McLellan said he liked the combination of Nurse-Larsson in the Anaheim series in the absence of Klefbom and Sekera. Nurse and Benning themselves played elevated minutes at times during the regular season as well.

I don't think we're going to be put in a situation where we're going to have to tap into our limited future assets to fill in for a regular season injury.

Regardless, as I've said before. Little Caesar's arena is opening this year. Mike Green's not going anywhere unless they're shedding salary. If they are: have at it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard and seen countless times of fans saying how poor of a skater Franson is. If that's the case, then ehhhhh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad