Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposals: Part XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Are we talking about "Corey Perry Signed To An Extension", or "Corey Perry Here Until July And Then Lost To The Highest Bidder As A UFA"?

I'm really interested in trading for the former. I'm not-at-all interested in acquiring the latter.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I have NO interest in Phil Kessel.

At all.

I don't think he is going to get traded. And I see the reason some would not like Kessel here. But he can score... on the rush as well. He is so perfectly suited for the high tempo pressure way we have been playing under Maclean. He can shoot and score and skate. I don't care that he doesn't play the best defence.

I think he could be like Havlat was here as well... or like Bure was in Florida. Not that it wouldn't be a great idea to play him with Spezza... but if you wanted to, you could play him with Turris.... or even ont he third line with Regin as his centre... and he would still score 30+ goals. I don't think he needs an elite playmaker like Spezza... he would score more with him.. but not that much more. I think he just needs a good centre and a decent winger and moreso a defence that can set him up for breakouts.

Like i mean he is less of a Heatley, a Bossy, a Brett Hull... a guy that is going to stroke a perfect one timer off a perfect pass... he is more of a skater... He creates lots of his chances himself... He is not in the class of the HHOFers I mentioned but he is a very, very good goal scorer... one you could use on any line as long as the linemates had vision and could skate... the up tempo pace of the Senators last year would so be right in his wheelhouse. It seems crazy to not play him on the top line... but the ability to get 30-40 goals from a lesser scoring line would be deadly. And he would get PP time and play a lot even if he was not on the Spezza line.

But it does not matter as he is not getting traded. But Kessel is a remarkably good goal scorer and offensive weapon. I would not mind him here at all. I would not want him to be my best player or Captain or go to guy. But he wouldn't be that here anyway.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Kessel guarantees you more offence than Michalek.

Kessel has more offense, Michalek has more hustle and brains so it come out even.

Actually Michalek comes out ahead because he is a good teammate, plays to win and not just to get points. He's big, can take a hit and play in the crease - Id rather have Michalek just because he is not a headache in any way

TheOriginalSilf*

Kessel has more offense, Michalek has more hustle and brains so it come out even.

Actually Michalek comes out ahead because he is a good teammate, plays to win and not just to get points. He's big, can take a hit and play in the crease - Id rather have Michalek just because he is not a headache in any way

Yeah... no. I'll take Kessel over Michalek.

THIS is exactly what I mean about us over-valuing our own players.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

i don't know. michalek also kill penalties and is responsible defensively. kessel is pretty one dimensional. i think it's a lot closer than people think, although goal scoring is a prime skill.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

This is the Heatley debate summed up - Heatley scores but does he help you win? There are players that do lot's of flashy things on the ice, Semin, Heatley, Gaborik, Kessel - but a lot of people think you do not win with these types of players.

I don't like soft 1 dimensional players, I think you are just looking at the stats line and overvaluing Kessel - Boston traded him away when he was about to break through so that must mean something - I think it means he doesn't help your team win. Patrice Bergeron is a winner, that's why you pay him and trade Kessel

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
If I had to choose one guy, keeping in mind that Michalek is one of my favourite players, I'd still take Kessel. Kessel's offensive talent is fantastic. Michalek may be better defensively and can kill penalties, but penalty killers are not hard to find.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
If I had to choose one guy, keeping in mind that Michalek is one of my favourite players, I'd still take Kessel. Kessel's offensive talent is fantastic. Michalek may be better defensively and can kill penalties, but penalty killers are not hard to find.
No, but penalty killers who can score 25+ goals a season are hard to find. Having a player like Michalek on your team allows you to be more one-dimensional in another area. You don't trade players like Michalek, you use them to protect and insulate players like Kessel, allowing them to do their thing.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
No, but penalty killers who can score 25+ goals a season are hard to find. Having a player like Michalek on your team allows you to be more one-dimensional in another area. You don't trade players like Michalek, you use them to protect and insulate players like Kessel, allowing them to do their thing.

Exactly, no player can make up for other players lazyness and softness - we did our best with Alexi Yashin and we know how that worked out.

Coach Maclean call for 200 foot players, not a line with two 200 foot players so one of wingers who isn't into backchecking and being strong can loaf around until his teammates can get him the puck.

This is why you win with players like Hossa, Alfie, Richards, Bergeron and the flashy players like Gaborik, Kessel, Yashin, Semin go away in the playoffs.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Let's not make this a pissing match..if you don't like someones trade proposal feel free to discuss that proposal and then move on. No need to get personal and attack someone who has a different opinion.

What part of this post did some of you miss? Knock it off.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa

I was not suggesting trading Michalek for Kessel. I was just saying that if I could pick one guy, it would be Kessel - and I love Michalek.

Last edited:

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I don't think he is going to get traded. And I see the reason some would not like Kessel here. But he can score... on the rush as well. He is so perfectly suited for the high tempo pressure way we have been playing under Maclean. He can shoot and score and skate. I don't care that he doesn't play the best defence.

I think he could be like Havlat was here as well... or like Bure was in Florida. Not that it wouldn't be a great idea to play him with Spezza... but if you wanted to, you could play him with Turris.... or even ont he third line with Regin as his centre... and he would still score 30+ goals. I don't think he needs an elite playmaker like Spezza... he would score more with him.. but not that much more. I think he just needs a good centre and a decent winger and moreso a defence that can set him up for breakouts.

Like i mean he is less of a Heatley, a Bossy, a Brett Hull... a guy that is going to stroke a perfect one timer off a perfect pass... he is more of a skater... He creates lots of his chances himself... He is not in the class of the HHOFers I mentioned but he is a very, very good goal scorer... one you could use on any line as long as the linemates had vision and could skate... the up tempo pace of the Senators last year would so be right in his wheelhouse. It seems crazy to not play him on the top line... but the ability to get 30-40 goals from a lesser scoring line would be deadly. And he would get PP time and play a lot even if he was not on the Spezza line.

But it does not matter as he is not getting traded. But Kessel is a remarkably good goal scorer and offensive weapon. I would not mind him here at all. I would not want him to be my best player or Captain or go to guy. But he wouldn't be that here anyway.

I'd be open for a Kessel like player, yes. And I'd probably shop Michalek to get said player...

However, I don't want Kessel himself :laugh:

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
I was not suggesting trading Michalek for Kessel. I was just saying that if I could pick one, it would be Kessel.
I'm not saying I wouldn't take Kessel either, just not at the expense of Michalek.

With our current style/identity of skating hard, playing a 200 foot game and driving to the net at every opportunity, we don't have any problems scoring goals. We would however potentially be creating a hole (or using 2 people to do what was one person's job) for the sake of 5 or 6 goals a year.

Imo, the scenarios where trading for a one-dimensional player makes sense is:
- Moving a one-dimensional player for another one-dimensional player in an upgrade or "problem child" scenario
- Having an over-abundance of very good two-dimensional players (20+ goals/year, pk time, solid 200 foot game etc.) and you're trying to fill a need

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad