Speculation: Trade Proposals Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
They can only get $850,000 in reasonable bonuses. The schedule B bonuses, the other $2 million are for placing in a major award.

Is that the truth? I always looked on cap geek at their ~3+ million dollar cap hit and didn't think they were that great of a bargain.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

Kershaw

Yes, because the trade board is definitely a source of insightful and objective opinions that should be taken to heart.

True, but the same can be said on here with the homer goggles on for favorable Rangers players.

Kershaw

The "cheap" ELC years for a #1 draft pick are not that cheap with their bonuses.

-31- touched in on that.

And it's still a bargain. By next season, Nail Yakupov will likely produce at a first line rate. By his 3rd ELC season, he should be a PPG player. Those two years open up window of competition.

Kershaw

I disagree. Arguably the best pure shutdown defenseman in the game.

I do think we'd have to add (prob a 1st), but the core value of the deal is there IMO.

Staal is good, but he's far from being the best pure shutdown d-man in the league. He is in a tier before the elite, Phaneuf, Subban, McDonagh, etc.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Food for thought:

Staal for Yakupov...any takers?

I'd lay it on thick trying to sell them Del Zotto instead, but ultimately I think I might agree to that one. That's without knowing if Staal has any intention on leaving. If he's hell bent on going to Carolina, that makes it a no brainer, obviously. However, I think you'd have to disclose that kind of thing to Edmonton during trade discussions.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'd lay it on thick trying to sell them Del Zotto instead, but ultimately I think I might agree to that one. That's without knowing if Staal has any intention on leaving. If he's hell bent on going to Carolina, that makes it a no brainer, obviously. However, I think you'd have to disclose that kind of thing to Edmonton during trade discussions.
I think for that reason, Edmonton would want a player who is controllable for longer. They don't have the greatest luck selling players on Edmonton.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think for that reason, Edmonton would want a player who is controllable for longer. They don't have the greatest luck selling players on Edmonton.

I think it's really a culture thing at this point. It's an incredibly young team and it's probably not all that appealing for an older UFA to go in there and babysit the kids. Once (if) they turn the ship around, they could attract some solid players.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I think it's really a culture thing at this point. It's an incredibly young team and it's probably not all that appealing for an older UFA to go in there and babysit the kids. Once (if) they turn the ship around, they could attract some solid players.
Chris Pronger asked for a trade after they went to the Cup Finals. Even at their best, it's not the easiest sell.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Chris Pronger asked for a trade after they went to the Cup Finals. Even at their best, it's not the easiest sell.

If memory serves me correct, wasnt that an issue of Pronger liking Edmonton a little too much? Especially the press coverage?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
If memory serves me correct, wasnt that an issue of Pronger liking Edmonton a little too much? Especially the press coverage?

ej_jmatheson_150x150.jpg

?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Agreed. A healthy Staal is no doubt our best blueliner IMO.

But Yak would be a huge addition to the top 6.

I'm 51/49 no.

There are pros and cons.

We still have McD and MDZ at LD. Moore and Skjei in the pipe.

It would make a ton of sense for us to get another playmaker. We desperately miss one. Brad Richards possible replacement if bought out.

Staal has a tough injury history now, and you know he will miss a ton of time if hurt.

At the same time, Ds hits their prime around 30. Staal is still young, and ought to have another gear in him. I think he is our top D and 2nd most valuble player when healthy.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Yeah, Staal sure is injury-prone. Anyone else can be hit with an 85 mph deflected shot in the eye and get right back into it.

*Bob Richards*

Giroux has the potential to be a top-5 player in this league in the years to come. He's the ultimate facilitator, a poor man's crosby. Him and Nash would almost be unstoppable

Potentially they would.

The rest of our team would leave quite a lot to be desired though.

zuckera1

Mar 3, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Potentially they would.

The rest of our team would leave quite a lot to be desired though.

With the cap space you wouldn't use on Staal and Step/Brassard, you could go out and spend 4-5 million on a 2C.

Hagelin - Giroux - Nash
Clowe - FA / Stepan - Callahan
Kreider - Brassard / FA - Zuccarello
Asham - Powe - Boyle

Still would have McD, DZ, and Girardi...plus an up and coming Moore and a solid #5 in Stralman. Do it!!!!!

Punxrocknyc19*

Staal + Stepan + early round pick in 2014 draft for Claude Giroux

Could you even imagine Giroux and Nash on the same line?

:shakehead no way i do that trade and id love Giroux on NYR but not at that price.. trading depth isnt a good idea when the team that trades is doesnt have much of it.

*Bob Richards*

With the cap space you wouldn't use on Staal and Step/Brassard, you could go out and spend 6 million on a 2C.

Hagelin - Giroux - Nash
Clowe - FA / Stepan - Callahan
Kreider - Brassard / FA - Zuccarello
Asham - Powe - Boyle

Still would have McD, DZ, and Girardi...plus an up and coming Moore and a solid #5 in Stralman. Do it!!!!!

That's exactly my problem with it. Fixing the team through FA again and again and again. When's the last time we've ever developed a center like Stepan? We had one back in the 90's but we gave up on him too early and he ended up being pretty damn good.

091710-marc-savard.jpg

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
Staal + Stepan + early round pick in 2014 draft for Claude Giroux

Could you even imagine Giroux and Nash on the same line?

Philly fans would be dumb and say underpayment and demand a Crosby-esque return.

Philly's front office however would spit their coffee out upon seeing that deal and be forced to consider it as a base offer and look for a few more sprinkles on top.

This is really a pipe dream trade though. NYR and Philly do not do business and there's no reason for Philly to trade Giroux after a down year in a shortened season. It would take several years of total failure to even have them consider that option.

The sad part of this is that Philly wouldn't have him to begin with if we didn't **** up in the '06 draft. Possibly Sather's greatest mistake, albeit you can't exactly blame him when 20 other teams passed on him. But regardless his decision to take Bobby Bustinetti, who was actually Philly's guy, made the Flyers select Giroux. They didn't even know how to pronounce his name. :facepalm: That's probably literally the luckiest draft pick the Flyers will ever make.

zuckera1 you should post this offer on the trade board just for fun. It is a very interesting offer.

Edit: I forgot about the Lindros trade. So scratch that, Philly and NYR have done big business before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad