Speculation: Trade Proposals Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
One more time: weber is NOT a proposal, see disclaimer, because of risk we get stuck with him old and broken down in under decade.

I invited comment and I thank all, even negative comment.
Support freedom of speech, competition of ideas.
Coupla responses...

ALL factors not being viewed here.
The non proposal scenario moves 3 guys all due for raises currently making ballpark current Weber $$, then goes one further by requiring Preds cap Weber for us at a $5mil max per year. For the entire length of the contract. That is obviously huge --- but ignored.

I don't think the 2013 Nashville 1st needs be sacrificed for a need, but it exists and can cover that contingency.

I did err in forgetting Moore, so our D is of course less, but still:
McD - Weber
MDZ - Stralman
Moore - McIlrath

Not counting trade addition
Hamrlik/Eminger/Gilroy hold the fort reserve depth Noreau here in 2 years.

As to C, not counting Boyle (who we may trade for upgrade/pick replenishment):

Richards --- let's get that year out of him/want to keep this open on a platter for Malkin after next year, if he doesn't come you have enough assets for plan B
Brassard --- so far so good
Miller --- uneven this year, has demonstrated enough tools, will be fine
Haley/Powe --- Haley has shown some energy in limited duty; deserves 4th line minutes
Lindberg --- Oscar's play this year earns shot next year, pushes Haley/Powe at min and maybe Miller also.

As an emergency at C: Kreider, yes Kreider.
They are trying to develop him at W, fine. But he has amateur experience at it, more importantly he has high speed to exploit open ice. Not saying should give up W. Just saying this is something that can be tried, on a limited basis, for a limited need.

Okay, even as an interesting scenario that isn't a proposal, my feelings are the same. I took the contracts of the NY players and the discount on Weber into account, we just disagree about the importance of the center position in today's NHL. That's fine, we don't need to agree. I'm just sharing my feelings. Richards is declining quickly. Brassard is a safe 3C, a gamble at 2C. Miller is an unknown as of yet. Haley/Powe are fine 4Cs. Lindberg is an unknown like Miller. We need a 1C and a 2C, or at least we need to keep Stepan and get another 1/2 tweener like him. Look at the cup winners in recent history - Kings, Bruins, Blackhawks, Penguins, Red Wings. Which of them had a center corp nearly as weak as Richards, Brassard, Miller/Kredier/Lindber, Haley/Powe? We've got the goalie, we've got good wingers, we've got a deep group of D. Need another 1/2 center.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
so people are advicating trading Staal/Mdz/Mcd+ girardi + stepan to get Weber and then trade another d + to get Hall.. May i ask why? these trades are necesary.. you guys sound like the sather of old looking to trade away half the team for one or 2 players..

you win when you have a young core of guys that have been playing together more then a year or 2..

you guys dont even think straight.. why trade away all-star young studs with a ton of potential for a guy signed for the next 30yrs thats not worth that vlue to us of those guys your trading away and what they mean to this team.. what does weber bring that staal and girardi or mcd and staal etc cant bring combined.. its called depth.. thats top heavy once again looking for these big name quick fixes that wont do anything but expose us..we'll become the nj devils.. they loose there best player and have no team

thank god some of you arent gms..

we dont need to make more trades.. just add bring youth in and play hockey.. fast, kreider, miller, lindberg, mcirath are all knocking at the door..

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
This thread has gone off the rails.

The main thing I don't get is why in the hell would Edmonton give up Hall, Yak, or RNH for MDZ? I'm not even bringing up Eberle because he's so overrated and his contract is pretty terrible.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Let me rephrase that, there good players in their own right, but if were going to give up something of significance for one of the big 4, i'd want it to be for Hall. He fits a positional need for this team where as the other guys we seem to be good for now. Not that i wouldn't want them...id just prefer Hall over everyone else

We need a RW? Who isn't particularly good on the PP?

I don't mind Hall, but I definitely think RW is the last skating position we should look at...

Or has Hall only played RW with Eberle and RNH?

Anyway, we need to fix our PP. a left handed playmaker thank you. ;)

Kershaw

Food for thought:

Staal for Yakupov...any takers?

Only people who say no are Rangers fan who overvalues our player/underrates the other.

Suggest that on the trade board and you may get mocked.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
It would be two years of Staal's rights for 6 years of Yakupov's. I would think long and hard.

As would I. And I am a person who usually advocates for Staal as being the best defenseman the Rangers have. With that said, you're talking about last year's #1 overall and a guy with extremely high offensive upside coming back to a team that desperately needs offense. And, lets be honest here, the team hasnt exactly imploded with Staal out of the lineup for long stretches over the past 2 seasons.

Not sure I'd pull the trigger, but to automatically dismiss it is foolish.

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
Only people who say no are Rangers fan who overvalues our player/underrates the other.

Suggest this to MacTavish and I bet he says let's sit down for a minute and discuss this.

I think we'd have to add a little but the value really isn't that far off. Edmonton needs a player like Staal in the absolute worst way.

Kershaw

Suggest this to MacTavish and I bet he says let's sit down for a minute and discuss this.

I think we'd have to add a little but the value really isn't that far off. Edmonton needs a player like Staal in the absolute worst way.

Value really isn't close IMO. #1 pick is pretty much a guarantee to be a superstar player and Staal is a impending UFA in two seasons. Staal is far from an elite defenseman, When was the last time a #1 pick was traded after one season? These guys have the most value in the league due to their probability of success and their cheap FA years.

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
As would I. And I am a person who usually advocates for Staal as being the best defenseman the Rangers have. With that said, you're talking about last year's #1 overall and a guy with extremely high offensive upside coming back to a team that desperately needs offense. And, lets be honest here, the team hasnt exactly imploded with Staal out of the lineup for long stretches over the past 2 seasons.

Not sure I'd pull the trigger, but to automatically dismiss it is foolish.

Agreed. A healthy Staal is no doubt our best blueliner IMO.

But Yak would be a huge addition to the top 6.

I'm 51/49 no.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010

Yes, because the trade board is definitely a source of insightful and objective opinions that should be taken to heart.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Value really isn't close IMO. #1 pick is pretty much a guarantee to be a superstar player and Staal is a impending UFA in two seasons. Staal is far from an elite defenseman, When was the last time a #1 pick was traded after one season? These guys have the most value in the league due to their probability of success and their cheap FA years.

The "cheap" ELC years for a #1 draft pick are not that cheap with their bonuses.

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ

I disagree. Arguably the best pure shutdown defenseman in the game.

I do think we'd have to add (prob a 1st), but the core value of the deal is there IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad