HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Ok guys just for the fun of it....would you do it and is the Hawks would listen?

Let say that you really want Demidov but you want to keep your 5th as well....it would cost....a lot ....;

To Chicago::

Guhle
Newhook
Jets pick
Calgary 2025 first pick

To Mtl:
2nd overall (Demidov )

..and you draft a D at 5th.

Not enough? Too much?
I'm not particularly high on Demidov (as a small winger) and now twice injured this year playing juniors in the MHL, so trading our 1st pairing Guhle (top 4 D), Newhook (solid 3rd liner, spot 2nd line duties), Jets pick (which can be used to move up to ~#15) and Calgary's pick (which can also be used to move up) - I's say it's a no from me dawg.,

I'd prefer Iginla to Demidov (any day of the week) - I am done caring about small forwards... we've gone through over a generation of impotency from this formula and I want out.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
I dont see a move up from our pick at 5. If somehow Demidov slip he will probably be our guy. Then we have Lindstrom and Iginla in option B and C. Hughes have the assets to move up in the top 15 if Sennecke , Helenius , Catton, Eiserman slip. If not maybe with winnipeg pick Connoly is still available. Cant wait for draft day and see which one we have at 5. I hope for Lindstrom but Demidov is a possibility and Iginla a certainty. Feel pretty good about our next forward prospect. The new management group is doing a great job, I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Number 25 is on the way.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Andersson is probably worth a pick in the 8-12 range by himself.
Highly doubt that... GMs tend to value high picks considerably, and the trade off btw 2yrs of player control vs 3 years of ELC plus RFA control on an asset they'd have reasonable grounds to expect develops into an equal or better contributor to Andersson skews the value heavily towards the pick... Especially for a rebuilding team like Montreal.

Basically 2 top-10 1sts for a top-5 pick. When you take into account there isn't very much separation between 5 and 9 this year, and that the Flames would be paying a premium to move up, I definitely think value wise it favors the Habs

Maybe I overrate Andersson
I think it's more the value to us.

A team like NJ might well roll the dice in that kind of swap (Andersson for 10OA), given their cap & roster situation and betting that they can be a playoff lock &/or contender as soon as next year.

His value as a 2-yr then UFA to us and most of the other top 10 picking teams I don't think sits at that level.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Andersson is probably worth a pick in the 8-12 range by himself. Basically 2 top-10 1sts for a top-5 pick. When you take into account there isn't very much separation between 5 and 9 this year, and that the Flames would be paying a premium to move up, I definitely think value wise it favors the Habs

Maybe I overrate Andersson
You are not. Andersson would instantly become our best D and AINEC. The Habs would be dumb to refuse the proposed deal.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
The idea of trading Matheson is that it would be trading on a high. He's on a good contract and just got a 60 point season.

But if Romanov was worth a 13th, I think Matheson should be worth more than a 15th.
I'm of the Frank Zappa school when it comes to drugs. I try to avoid making important decisions when I'm on a high.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I dont see a move up from our pick at 5. If somehow Demidov slip he will probably be our guy. Then we have Lindstrom and Iginla in option B and C. Hughes have the assets to move up in the top 15 if Sennecke , Helenius , Catton, Eiserman slip. If not maybe with winnipeg pick Connoly is still available. Cant wait for draft day and see which one we have at 5. I hope for Lindstrom but Demidov is a possibility and Iginla a certainty. Feel pretty good about our next forward prospect. The new management group is doing a great job, I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Number 25 is on the way.
Is that light moving towards you? If it is, I suggest turning around and running like hell.

• Haha
Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Roy - Dach - Toffoli
Armia - Newhook - Gallagher
Evans - Dvorak - Monahan

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
FWIW, some points of interest from Dave Pagnotta:

- As recent as this week, teams continue to ask the Montreal Canadiens about defenceman Arber Xhekaj, but Habs GM Kent Hughes keeps turning them away. Hughes isn’t interested in moving the sturdy blueliner but is open to moving some of his other young defencemen.
  • Some teams are wondering if Cole Perfetti’s minimum usage in the playoffs means the Winnipeg Jets will take calls on him this summer. I’m not sure of GM Kevin Cheveldayoff’s appetite to explore a move here, but teams are expected to inquire.
  • Expect Utah GM Bill Armstrong to be aggressive in reshaping his blueline. Defence is a priority this summer.
  • Vegas wants to hold on to Jonathan Marchessault and I believe there is a pathway to an extension. Chandler Stephenson, however, may have priced himself out of the Golden Knights’ plans. If he hits the open market July 1, he’ll be a hot commodity.

Reactions: Runner77

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

- As recent as this week, teams continue to ask the Montreal Canadiens about defenceman Arber Xhekaj, but Habs GM Kent Hughes keeps turning them away. Hughes isn’t interested in moving the sturdy blueliner but is open to moving some of his other young defencemen.
  • Some teams are wondering if Cole Perfetti’s minimum usage in the playoffs means the Winnipeg Jets will take calls on him this summer. I’m not sure of GM Kevin Cheveldayoff’s appetite to explore a move here, but teams are expected to inquire.
  • Expect Utah GM Bill Armstrong to be aggressive in reshaping his blueline. Defence is a priority this summer.
  • Vegas wants to hold on to Jonathan Marchessault and I believe there is a pathway to an extension. Chandler Stephenson, however, may have priced himself out of the Golden Knights’ plans. If he hits the open market July 1, he’ll be a hot commodity.
Bill, may I introduce you to Micheal Matheson

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

to some he's a bottom pairing goon, but he sure seems to have many fans among GM's around the league. I wonder why?
Anyone actually paying attention to what's happening in the playoffs, especially Boston v Florida realizes how indispensable this kid and his brother (potentially) are to the Habs.
A tactical and public relations disaster to trade him, with a WC berth in mind as early as next season, imo

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
Geekie or the 6th pick then

I don't know if you are getting 6th OV value with Matheson. Maybe a pick in 10-15 range. I think there is good value to extract if you retain money on his last 2 years. There is probably a contender team that would bite on a puck-moving defenseman in his prime with 2 years left at a discount.​

Reactions: Vachon23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad