Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2017 Edition Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
60 Pt winger entering his prime. Great asset to have on a playoff team. I don't foresee any trade for JVR this season, but you absolutely cannot sign players at peak value to long term deals anymore and not expect to have serious cap trouble down the road. JVR will be 29 next summer, and a long term deal takes him to 35-36. Huge no thanks to that. Unlike in years past, we actually have the depth to let JVR walk for nothing if we keep him for a playoff run, and that's better than signing him to a 6x7 deal.

Question becomes do we not have the common sense to cash in on his expiring status. Like it or not our odds of winning it all with him this year are pretty low and it will be even worse long term for cap reasons.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Just a hunch but I think we have something cooking with CBJ
Could be. Reports are Columbus is stepping up the search for a top 6.
Like to get Savard out of there. Not interested in Johnson so much as some seem to be.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Could be. Reports are Columbus is stepping up the search for a top 6.
Like to get Savard out of there. Not interested in Johnson so much as some seem to be.

Also the only other team to make changes in the past 24hrs via waivers.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think it would be an issue of NTC vs caphit. Got to pay him more if you don't want to have a trade limitation.

You could be right, but with the amount of players that have a NTC/NMC, I don't know that those clauses are going anywhere anytime soon. Not sure a (reasonable) price can be put on them. Think any potential contract might be more about cap hit vs term - and sounds like he could prefer term. Either way - though it's nice to have flexibility to be able to move out contracts as easily as possible, I imagine the type of contract we'd be looking at here will be us thinking about what he can do for us on the ice more than what he could return in trade.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
The significance of the Josh Leivo signing is that he’s no longer a candidate to become a Group VI unrestricted free agent this summer.
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) November 17, 2017

Leivo would have become a UFA after this season if he hasn't played certain # of games this season, so it's a smart signing by the Leafs securing Josh Leivo for another season. It doesn't matter how many games he plays this season. My question would be why just 1 season

Look like Leafs are not really high on him at this stage

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The significance of the Josh Leivo signing is that he’s no longer a candidate to become a Group VI unrestricted free agent this summer.
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) November 17, 2017

Leivo would have become a UFA after this season if he hasn't played certain # of games this season, so it's a smart signing by the Leafs securing Josh Leivo for another season. It doesn't matter how many games he plays this season. My question would be why just 1 season

Look like Leafs are not really high on him at this stage

Should still have decent value whether it's for us or as part of a trade. It also at least eliminates any possible distraction associated with the # of games played.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Should still have decent value whether it's for us or as part of a trade. It also at least eliminates any possible distraction associated with the # of games played.

Very true - I am not disputing at all, he is ready for NHL duties but I believe that the coaching staff is not very high on him

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Very not - I am not disputing at all, he is ready for NHL duties but I believe that the coaching staff is not very high on him

I definitely see your point. Tough to fully gauge how much of a future he has here. The asking price on him is apparently high, yet they could have possibly lost him for nothing before this signing. He could've taken his chances in free agency but chose to re-up here. Good signing for all parties, I'd say.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I definitely see your point. Tough to fully gauge how much of a future he has here. The asking price on him is apparently high, yet they could have possibly lost him for nothing before this signing. He could've taken his chances in free agency but chose to re-up here. Good signing for all parties, I'd say.

By the way that was very true and not "very not" lol

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

This part I do not understand why he would not not take his chances on open market, he might have got a better deal

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
This part I do not understand why he would not not take his chances on open market, he might have got a better deal

Guess it's a risk either way. Must like it here (he hasn't complained) and we've done as many things to suggest he has some kind of future here as there are reasons to question that.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

There’s gotta be more to come, but in the meantime maybe this forces Babcock’s hand a bit? He’s not going anywhere Mike, so get him in there.
Or maybe this is all about trading him - no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad