Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2017 Edition Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Sens fan here..... Harpur for Leivo. Both depth guys that should be in the NHL but are blocked by better depth. I was thinking Wideman for Hyman or Komorov as another option.

We need our guys more than we'd need Wideman, plus he just suffered a major injury did he not?

Additionally, I think Leivo is more valuable than Harpur and our glut for future bottom pairing LD (Borgman, Dermott, Rosen, even Nielsen) is just as big as our glut on the wing, so that doesn't help us much either. We may be willing to look at rental LHD to give Borgman some more time to develop, but we aren't planning on needing a guy past this year.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Also to note - CBJ just sent three guys down.

And called one up, but it was a goalie swap essentially.

Milano and Carlsson were sent down, nobody called up.

It does make more sense for them to trade Murray or Johnson for a center, and I doubt the Leafs have a ton of interest in either. I think it's more likely they trade Bozak for picks then.

RedHead Kingpin

Jan 14, 2012
Runestone
Erik Johnson looks like one of the best fits for me. My only concerns are health and cost to aquire. His cap hit is great for what he brings, if healthy, at 6 mil aav. Even if it takes him to 34. He's 29, plays 26 minutes a night with 61% d zone starts, plays great defense and can contribute offensively. Has missed quite a few games over his career though.

Gardiner-Johnson
Rielly-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Carrick

Unfortunately Colorado will be difficult to deal with it seems. I wouldn't want to part with Dermott or Liljegren. That's usually the problem, I never want to give to get lol

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Erik Johnson looks like one of the best fits for me. My only concerns are health and cost to aquire. His cap hit is great for what he brings, if healthy, at 6 mil aav. Plays 26 minutes a night with 61% d zone starts, plays great defense and can contribute offensively. Has missed quite a few games over his career though.

Gardiner-Johnson
Rielly-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Carrick

Unfortunately Colorado will be difficult to deal with it seems. I wouldn't want to part with Dermott or Liljegren. That's usually the problem, I never want to give to get lol

I get the give to get but no to trading either Dermott or Liljegren in pretty much any realistic trade deal. Cheap talented Dmen not far away from the leafs is far more important than a 29 yr old top4 Dman woth 6 years left at $6M no thank you

Reactions: Menzinger

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
No way I'm trading for anyone to move Hainsey down right now. Maybe in the future once Hainsey/Rielly struggle a bit which will probably be inevitable. But they're playing really well, so for now I wouldn't want to mess with that. But for now if we acquired someone I'd pair them with Gards and move Z down to the 3rd pair to shelter him a little bit.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Some Gudbranson rumours going around. Here's hoping they stay FAR away from him, unless it's just Roman Polak or someone similar going back the other way.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't understand the Gudbranson rumour either, he's not good.

The Leafs do need a guy who can play on the PK - and Polak looks terrible. So Babcock either needs to start playing somebody else, or they need to turn to the trade market.

I love Hainsey's play this year but the team needs more than two PKing D men

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

The Leafs do need a guy who can play on the PK - and Polak looks terrible. So Babcock either needs to start playing somebody else, or they need to turn to the trade market.

It's rather puzzling. I do think Gudbranson might be a step above Polak in terms of ability but it makes very little sense either way.

Reactions: Menzinger

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
No way I'm trading for anyone to move Hainsey down right now. Maybe in the future once Hainsey/Rielly struggle a bit which will probably be inevitable. But they're playing really well, so for now I wouldn't want to mess with that. But for now if we acquired someone I'd pair them with Gards and move Z down to the 3rd pair to shelter him a little bit.

Agree with the first point completely. No reason at all the separate them right now.

I'd differ on Zaitsev though.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Agree with the first point completely. No reason at all the separate them right now.

I'd differ on Zaitsev though.

Well if you don't move Z down who are you moving to the 3rd pair? Gardiner? It's obviously not a permanent solution, I still love Z and that contract and he's a top 4 defenceman on this team long term, but if a top 4 guy is brought in say tomorrow it's more than likely going to be someone to play on the right side, and I'm not moving Hainsey. It's not that I think Zaitsev is struggling. I think he could be a little better though, and I think a few weeks of sheltering him on the 3rd pair could help with his coinfidence. He's getting caved in on CF%, though his xGF% is solid. Granted Gards numbers are pretty similar which should be expected as they've played mostly together(5 on 5). Also if we brought someone in it would likely be a more defensive guy, and I think playing them with Gards would complement him more than it would Z.

I don't think an upgrade is necessary right now because of Zaitsev, just if one happened he'd be the guy I'd move down. Unless the guy we got shouldn't play the right side.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

I would try Rielly there again, and maybe put Borgman there?

If it really is disasterous, trade or calling up Marincin are other options. Marincin has looked really good on the Marlies, so maybe a confidence boost could give the Leafs a good stretch of games from him. If he sucks, we aren't really in any worse position.

At best he could solve our bottom pairing problems or maybe be flipped for a late round pick.

Reactions: carko32

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
What's wrong with moving Hainsey down if we acquire a #2dman version of him? Maybe he'd have the same effect on Gardiner's/Borgman's game as he had with Rielly, while the new acquisition could make our top pair even better?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
What's wrong with moving Hainsey down if we acquire a #2dman version of him? Maybe he'd have the same effect on Gardiner's/Borgman's game as he had with Rielly, while the new acquisition could make our top pair even better?

Can you find someone like that who doesn't make our team worse?

If we got Savard, who buys Liljegren 4 years of developmental time, then I would be all for it. He's not exactly a top pairing guy, but he's a good 2nd pairing guy who would work well with Rielly as well.

If it was Bozak + Carrick + picks/prospects for Savard, I would be all for it. Columbus probably doesn't want to trade him for a UFA center though... They'd rather use Murray, Johnson or another LD to get their guy.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Can you find someone like that who doesn't make our team worse?

If we got Savard, who buys Liljegren 4 years of developmental time, then I would be all for it. He's not exactly a top pairing guy, but he's a good 2nd pairing guy who would work well with Rielly as well.

Think Savard or Tanev are good choices to target that wouldn't ruin our team in trading for them. Ideally our 3 UFAs are converted into picks that we can then flip for a RHD like the aforementioned 2 (maybe 3way trade if the team doesn't want picks) just like STL did it with reversed positions trading away Shattenkirk and getting a longterm asset in Schenn

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd take Weber on this team. His contract is ugly and takes down his value but man he'd be a monster on this team. He's still a great defenseman and Babcock would love him.

I'd offer a similar-ish deal to the Phaneuf trade with the Sens, or even with the Flames when we acquired Phaneuf in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daisy Jane

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
As everyday goes on, Im really happy we weren't able to get that Hamonic deal done. Hainsey has been so much better than Hamonic this season and we get to keep our picks and JVR in the process. Great job by management (and poor calgary)

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I'd take Weber on this team. His contract is ugly and takes down his value but man he'd be a monster on this team. He's still a great defenseman and Babcock would love him.

I'd offer a similar-ish deal to the Phaneuf trade with the Sens, or even with the Flames when we acquired Phaneuf in the first place.
What the f***

His contract would ruin the future of our team. He's a #3 right now, but we can't have people guaranteed to be overpaid guys that we need to pay to get off this team later on.

Wouldn't take him for free.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

How you are going to find that kind of money, we need to sign Matthews, Willie and Mitch

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

I'd take him with retention and minimal assets. Otherwise, I'd rather make a strong push for Tavares. Our defense has been great for the last several games but when Matthews is on the ice (the game noticeably tilts). Tavares would accomplish a similar feat, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->