Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2017 Edition Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think it could be done ... however Babcock isn't doing anything to help the franchise out here ...

Find Out How Many NHL Draft Picks Make it to the NHL.

Beyond the first round.
This is where the NHL dream begins to fade in a hurry:
  • From 1990 to 1999, about one-quarter of the players selected in the second round turned into NHL career players.

Those drafted in the third round and beyond are really up against it.
  • From over 2,000 players selected in the third round and beyond during 1990s, just 261 made it as NHL career players. That's about 12 percent.
To add more detail, all teams tend to be effective with top 10 picks. All teams tend to struggle with late round picks, it seems more a question of luck if you get great talent there than anything. But second half of first through the second round sees vast difference in efficiency through the league. The best teams churn out talent as effectively in the second round as they do in the first, and the worst fail as much there as with their late rounders.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Re JVR

If they can get his term to 6 years I'd be more comfortable with that, it would also potentially make him more tradeable in a few seasons when the Leafs cap situation starts to get much tighter.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Here's an article....All I can do is shake my head..... Be forwarned it's Howard Berger

Matthews’ Leaf Days Are Numbered
TORONTO (Nov. 16) — One more chance. That’s all the Maple Leafs have without Auston Matthews.

http://betweentheposts.ca/2017/11/matthews-leaf-days-are-numbered/

One final opportunity — against New Jersey, tonight — to prove they can sh** the bed in the absence of their best player. “If we win again, we’ll look to move him,” said an unimpeachable executive source this morning, talking on behalf of general manager Lou Lamoriello. “There are too many challenges with the salary cap in the next few years to keep a player without whom we can win. Matthews will cost us a fortune in the summer of 2019. Better to see if we can get some prospects or high [draft] picks for him now. You never want to risk that a player might sustain a career–threatening injury. Our entire management group agrees that if we win again tonight and improve to 4–0 without Auston, it’ll be time to look for a trade.”
This, of course, is shocking news, given what Matthews has contributed to the Leafs, and the city of Toronto, since being chosen first overall in the 2016 National Hockey League draft. A 40–goal season last year earned him the Calder Trophy as NHL rookie–of–the–year — the first Leaf to cop the award since Brit Selby in 1966. Who will ever forget Matthews scoring four goals in Ottawa during his NHL debut? Yet, the Leafs have come to the conclusion, over the past week, that No. 34 will be too big a luxury to retain over the long haul.
“I know this decision won’t be popular,” continued the executive, “but, look, we have to start paying [William] Nylander big bucks after this season. [Mitch] Marner comes off entry–level in 2019 and we still have to find a stud defenseman somewhere. That player will not come cheap. Matthews is a good scorer, but easily replaceable. We can get lots for him in a trade. And, if we find that our scoring has been too–negatively impacted, we can look at signing a forward like James Neal (of Vegas) as a free agent next summer. Everyone figured we would go into the dumper when Auston hurt his back. And, look what happened. We’ve played some of our best hockey without him. Another win tonight over the Devils will seal the deal.”

Though the Leaf executive wouldn’t commit to a particular team, he did mention one obvious trade partner. “Arizona has wanted him badly since Day 1,” said the exec. “Auston is from the Phoenix area; he grew up there, and the Coyotes need to put people in their building. It’s a natural fit. Initially, Lou insisted [defenseman] Oliver Ekman–Larsson be the starting point in any trade discussion. But, [Coyotes GM] John Chayka wouldn’t go for it. Not a big deal. I’m pretty sure we can get the Coyotes’ first–round draft pick next June. That will offset the loss of Matthews. One No. 1 pick for another. We think it’s a fair proposition.”
I asked the executive if Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment is worried about a backlash from the Toronto fan–base. There were loud protests outside Maple Leaf Gardens when the Leafs traded Frank Mahovlich to Detroit in March 1968; then again after dealing Lanny McDonald to the old Colorado Rockies in December 1979. Neither transaction improved the hockey club. It is never wise to lose the best player in a trade.
“Yeah, but you gotta roll the dice sometimes, particularly in the salary–cap era,” replied the exec. “We looked hard at our team this week and asked ‘how much better can Auston truly make us?’ The answer was unanimous. He’s a good kid, but we’re clearly a more rounded group without him. When he’s on the ice, it seems the other players wait for him to do something magical with the puck. Once we trade him, the wealth can be spread more evenly. I mean, look at Nylander: He’s not having a good second season. We need to give him more responsibility out there; to get him out from beneath Auston’s big shadow.”
So, the decision appears to be made. If you’ve become emotionally attached to Matthews in a Leafs uniform; if you’ve dolled out $250 to buy a replica No. 34 jersey, my suggestion is to root maniacally for New Jersey at the Air Canada Centre. “If we were to get embarrassed tonight, there could be a change of heart,” admitted the executive. “But, I don’t expect that to happen. We’ve sailed through three games without Auston.
“There’s no reason to think we can’t do it a fourth time.”

Last edited:
Reactions: ULF_55

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Here's an article....All I can do is shake my head..... Be forwarned it's Howard Berger

TORONTO (Nov. 16) — One more chance. That’s all the Maple Leafs have without Auston Matthews.

One final opportunity — against New Jersey, tonight — to prove they can sh** the bed in the absence of their best player. “If we win again, we’ll look to move him,” said an unimpeachable executive source this morning, talking on behalf of general manager Lou Lamoriello. “There are too many challenges with the salary cap in the next few years to keep a player without whom we can win. Matthews will cost us a fortune in the summer of 2019. Better to see if we can get some prospects or high [draft] picks for him now. You never want to risk that a player might sustain a career–threatening injury. Our entire management group agrees that if we win again tonight and improve to 4–0 without Auston, it’ll be time to look for a trade.”
This, of course, is shocking news, given what Matthews has contributed to the Leafs, and the city of Toronto, since being chosen first overall in the 2016 National Hockey League draft. A 40–goal season last year earned him the Calder Trophy as NHL rookie–of–the–year — the first Leaf to cop the award since Brit Selby in 1966. Who will ever forget Matthews scoring four goals in Ottawa during his NHL debut? Yet, the Leafs have come to the conclusion, over the past week, that No. 34 will be too big a luxury to retain over the long haul.
“I know this decision won’t be popular,” continued the executive, “but, look, we have to start paying [William] Nylander big bucks after this season. [Mitch] Marner comes off entry–level in 2019 and we still have to find a stud defenseman somewhere. That player will not come cheap. Matthews is a good scorer, but easily replaceable. We can get lots for him in a trade. And, if we find that our scoring has been too–negatively impacted, we can look at signing a forward like James Neal (of Vegas) as a free agent next summer. Everyone figured we would go into the dumper when Auston hurt his back. And, look what happened. We’ve played some of our best hockey without him. Another win tonight over the Devils will seal the deal.”

Though the Leaf executive wouldn’t commit to a particular team, he did mention one obvious trade partner. “Arizona has wanted him badly since Day 1,” said the exec. “Auston is from the Phoenix area; he grew up there, and the Coyotes need to put people in their building. It’s a natural fit. Initially, Lou insisted [defenseman] Oliver Ekman–Larsson be the starting point in any trade discussion. But, [Coyotes GM] John Chayka wouldn’t go for it. Not a big deal. I’m pretty sure we can get the Coyotes’ first–round draft pick next June. That will offset the loss of Matthews. One No. 1 pick for another. We think it’s a fair proposition.”
I asked the executive if Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment is worried about a backlash from the Toronto fan–base. There were loud protests outside Maple Leaf Gardens when the Leafs traded Frank Mahovlich to Detroit in March 1968; then again after dealing Lanny McDonald to the old Colorado Rockies in December 1979. Neither transaction improved the hockey club. It is never wise to lose the best player in a trade.
“Yeah, but you gotta roll the dice sometimes, particularly in the salary–cap era,” replied the exec. “We looked hard at our team this week and asked ‘how much better can Auston truly make us?’ The answer was unanimous. He’s a good kid, but we’re clearly a more rounded group without him. When he’s on the ice, it seems the other players wait for him to do something magical with the puck. Once we trade him, the wealth can be spread more evenly. I mean, look at Nylander: He’s not having a good second season. We need to give him more responsibility out there; to get him out from beneath Auston’s big shadow.”
So, the decision appears to be made. If you’ve become emotionally attached to Matthews in a Leafs uniform; if you’ve dolled out $250 to buy a replica No. 34 jersey, my suggestion is to root maniacally for New Jersey at the Air Canada Centre. “If we were to get embarrassed tonight, there could be a change of heart,” admitted the executive. “But, I don’t expect that to happen. We’ve sailed through three games without Auston.

This gives me hope that I can have a....well not bright, maybe a candle lit future as a blogger lol.

Reactions: biotk

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

what garbage is this? if its a joke its not even close to funny, as in comedic timing etc. If its serious this person needs to be stripped of his credentials as a writer

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This gives me hope that I can have a....well not bright, maybe a candle lit future as a blogger lol.
Well Montreal is doing better without Price and his soon to be 10.5 million. Could be a Pulitzer in it for you. :)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
what garbage is this? if its a joke its not even close to funny, as in comedic timing etc. If its serious this person needs to be stripped of his credentials as a writer

Howard Berger hasn't been employed or had credentials since 2011.

Apparently when he first started blogging, he spent 60K over two years to follow the team around to try and drive traffic and get sponsers.

The Curious Case of Howard Berger | Toronto Mike's Blog

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Wish Matthews wasn't injured obviously, but it's a bit easier to weather at this part of the season. Glad we've still been winning, but it goes without saying that he's back in the lineup as soon as he's ready.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010

Dear Lord, I almost feel sorry for Berger. I think the "executive" is actually trolling Berger.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
"Matthews is a good scorer, but easily replaceable." Howard Berger

Holy crap, I've NEVER liked this guy, but this is a new low. It took 10 years to find a legitimate replacement for Sundin (Matthews). He is NOT easily replaced.

On top of that, Matthews has legitimate high-end two-way upside. He looks like he could become a more skilled version of Kopitar, which is a VERY good player, could become a consistent top 5 guy in the NHL. By definition, if you're a top 5 guy, you're not easily replaced, because there are only a handful of comparable guys, none of which are likely to change teams any time soon.

He's just creating click-bait headlines to try and make money. Doesn't seem like he has any integrity as a sports "reporter" at this point.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

This is satire. It's the only way it can be read.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Why even post Berger's shit? As long as his shit is posted, he doesn't care if people dislike/like him.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Berger has been stripped out of his credentials. He used to be a regular at Leafs press conferences, but someone (Wilson or Burke? I don't remember) called him out for the hack that he is and banished him from having any contact with the team. Media outlets wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole and he has since bankrupted himself trying to stay relevant through his blog that nobody reads. So when I see him claim he's been speaking to someone at MLSE, I know he's full of it.

The media loving Burke regime wouldn't talk to him, and we're to believe that the group that won't even acknowledge if one of their players has the sniffles would speak to him? Especially when they're run by the media giants that told the guy they wanted him out of the industry? I've got a better chance of sitting down for an interview with Conn Smythe, and I'd get more information too.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Doesn't matter when the deal is signed it wouldn't kick in until next season anyhow. Maybe Lou and co wanted every opportunity to make a hockey deal in the early part of this season? Hope a D-man shakes loose (Vatanen/JJ/Murray?) from a team who would need scoring help. There's no rush to make a deal, they have exclusive negotiating rights until just before FA begins.

Yeah that's all true but the price would have better - 1 year away from UFA status vs UFA already is huge.

Definitely, need depth players, but if only core players are the concern (some have mentioned van Riemsdyk and Bozak are not core) then most of the Marlies who'll never amount to anything will never be core players, and are of no concern.

Everything's a concern when running a team IMO. And we don't know which Marlies will amount to something and which ones won't so for the time being, everyone who still might be something one day is a concern to some degree.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Howard is a bit premature. April fools day is not for another 4 1/2 months.
When your Howard you can't contain your celebration of being a fool to one day. He's way too big a fool for that.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
People really aren't taking this seriously are they?

I think it's an adequate article, not quote good because it's too transparent.

He should have tried to make it a little believable.

Eh, I liked it. Pretty obvious "No room for Marner" shot across the bow at Kypreos.
People are taking themselves way too seriously, Berger was a twat as a beat writer but give credit where credit is due. This isn't rumour mongering, it's mocking (albeit heavyhandedly) the insiders and analysts.

Reactions: TeamBester

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yeah that's all true but the price would have better - 1 year away from UFA status vs UFA already is huge.

Everything's a concern when running a team IMO. And we don't know which Marlies will amount to something and which ones won't so for the time being, everyone who still might be something one day is a concern to some degree.

Yep, one of them might even be a Bozak or van Riemsdyk.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Can Toronto use Cam Atkinson's contract extension as a comparable to extend JVR?

JVR has a longer track record than Atkinson, but Atkinson's coming off a 35 goal season.

I think that I'd be happy with that deal as long as JVR doesn't get any sort of trade protection.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Think I'd pass on JVR for that deal. It's more than fair for JVR, he might even get more(Atkinson had 1 great year and 1 good year), and if we were short on offensive talent sure, but he's a luxury, and one that could end up costing us more important players.(not the big 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad