Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2017 Edition Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Maybe we can convince JVR to sign an extension with another team and get a top dman. Similar to the Blues/Lightning deal that would have sent Drouin to STL and an extended Shattenkirk to Tampa. Maybe included Carrick and some DP's. That should net us a pretty nice dman.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
JVR should hold a ton of value still. Reaves was a UFA going into this year and fetched a late 1st.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
JVR should hold a ton of value still. Reaves was a UFA going into this year and fetched a late 1st.

You only get that value when/if he's traded

If they were going to do that it should have been in the off-season

Last edited:

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Lets be realistic. What can we trade for? What assets can we/will we trade and how much cap space is available?

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
I think I'm in the minority opinion here, but I still think there is great value for trading JVR or Bozak for picks, and not necessarily D help. if Leads want to stay true to the Shanaplan and co to us to build for future while Maintaining success.

JVR or bozak for high draft picks.
they can be replaced by leivo, altonen, kapanen

despite all the hype re: leafs being contenders/favourites , realistically they don't have a good chance to win the cup this year. they been more internal growth.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think I'm in the minority opinion here, but I still think there is great value for trading JVR or Bozak for picks, and not necessarily D help. if Leads want to stay true to the Shanaplan and co to us to build for future while Maintaining success.

despite all the hype re: leafs being contenders/favourites , realistically they don't have a good chance to win the cup this year. they been more internal growth.

I feel the same and deep down I think most others do as well. We have the players even without JVR and Bozak to make the PO. The line as is hinders us being -4 or so w/Bozak and JVR. So far its better with Brown but that just may be because the shots over the bow causing those guys to play harder. I trust in Kappy but am not sure of Leivo.

We have Leivo Aalt Kappy Fehr Goat Sosh and Moore all ready to go and they are servicable for sure. We should be in good shape IMHO.

Last edited:

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

While I agree that they can be filled internally, I don't think it's fair to just dump players because we "don't have a good chance to win". Why not? Nashville made it within two wins of the Cup despite being a wild card team. Anything can happen and I think we'll be in a better position these playoffs than they were to start last year.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
While I agree that they can be filled internally, I don't think it's fair to just dump players because we "don't have a good chance to win". Why not? Nashville made it within two wins of the Cup despite being a wild card team. Anything can happen and I think we'll be in a better position these playoffs than they were to start last year.

I think there is a good chance we become better losing Bozak and a bit worse losing JVR.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I think there is a good chance we become better losing Bozak and a bit worse losing JVR.
I guess the question with Bozak is who replaces him? I know the expectation has been that Nylander will move to C, but do we really want to separate him and Auston? Do we have anyone internally that can fill the gap as a 3C? Or do you just throw Moore/Fehr at 3/4C?

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I guess the question with Bozak is who replaces him? I know the expectation has been that Nylander will move to C, but do we really want to separate him and Auston? Do we have anyone internally that can fill the gap as a 3C? Or do you just throw Moore/Fehr at 3/4C?
I'd just give Kadri essentially the #2C spot knowing he'll play a 200ft game and then sign a responsible 3C or possibly bank on Aaltonen.

Matthews
Kadri
Aaltonen/Signing
XXX

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
all the chatter about the leafs being Cup favorites will most likely mean no expiring contracts being moved. Personally if good offers were out there for Bozak and JVR I'd move them and fill their slots from within. I'd keep Leo, what he brings to the team is invaluable imo, in fact I can see him being resigned at a reasonable price. Would these moves kill the chance at winning the cup? Maybe, but I still think they're at least a year away from really having a chance, it's early days and from what I've seen this year many games look like Sunday shinny games, that won't last as teams tighten up their D especially in the playoffs. The leafs are beginning to be a really good team, but imo, no team can let 3 assets walk for nothing for nothing, regardless of the teams success, the business side of the game has to be played correctly too.

Reactions: Bigmarycombo

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I feel it's the opposite. If we lose Bozak it's going to force someone to play above their level. Our center depth is not our strong point. It doesn't appear we will split the Matthews/Nylander duo at this time.
While we would feel an offensive loss with JVR, we have an abundance of wingers for line 3 to ease in.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I feel it's the opposite. If we lose Bozak it's going to force someone to play above their level. Our center depth is not our strong point. It doesn't appear we will split the Matthews/Nylander duo at this time.
While we would feel an offensive loss with JVR, we have an abundance of wingers for line 3 to ease in.
Agreed.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
lot's of options: Moore, Fehr, Marleau. Any of these three could fill the 3rd line centre imo. Losing Bozak might take away some offense, but the defensive gains would easily outweigh any of those concerns imo.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
lot's of options: Moore, Fehr, Marleau. Any of these three could fill the 3rd line centre imo. Losing Bozak might take away some offense, but the defensive gains would easily outweigh any of those concerns imo.
I forgot about Aaltonen as well.

Even still, I think there's also the leadership perspective with Bozak as well, and as mentioned, we have more depth on wing that can fill the absence of JVR. Will be interesting to see who moves.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I forgot about Aaltonen as well.

Even still, I think there's also the leadership perspective with Bozak as well, and as mentioned, we have more depth on wing that can fill the absence of JVR. Will be interesting to see who moves.
JVR is way lazier than Bozak aswell. I don't think we can afford to lose Bozak during this season and firmly believe that Bozak and Marner could break even with a more reliable LW.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Moore and Fehr shouldn’t be above the 4th line. Marleau hasn’t played Center in like, a decade.

We need Bozak.

JVR in the right deal, sure.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Moore and Fehr shouldn’t be above the 4th line. Marleau hasn’t played Center in like, a decade.

We need Bozak.

Inclined to agree. We can then give Leivo a shot or bump up Kapanen.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

We need Bozak.

That's right Cor. Now can you convince the Habs to give us their first? That would be like the icing on the cake.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nylander already plays a C role, they basically are both playing like Cs half the time. Nylander wins a lot of draws as well so I don't understand the argument that Nylander is not ready, he is very much ready, watch him, he is ready.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Nylander already plays a C role, they basically are both playing like Cs half the time. Nylander wins a lot of draws as well so I don't understand the argument that Nylander is not ready, he is very much ready, watch him, he is ready.
I think he'd be fine, but it's more do we want to split up him and Matthews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->