Trade Proposals 2018-2019

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Man, you're out there pumping the Greyhounds players tires on every board it seems, and you've got me wondering....if they are so great (and you've argued that they're better than all the players they've been compared to), why on earth a #2 ranked team would sell?

I mean, if all the players are so terrific, why not just keep them and try to take a run at London?

I'm not trying to pump the tires on the veteran players, but the team is extremely young and leams heavily on it's elite forwards and goaltender. They would surely still be in first had Villalta not been injured by a linesman. It's remarkable how far guys like Frost and Hayton have carried the team.

That being said, the team dresses 8 rookies and has a dearth of picks. A rebuild is a must after being a top team for several years and making many additions. That's just the nature of OHL hockey.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I'm not trying to pump the tires on the veteran players, but the team is extremely young and leams heavily on it's elite forwards and goaltender. They would surely still be in first had Villalta not been injured by a linesman. It's remarkable how far guys like Frost and Hayton have carried the team.

That being said, the team dresses 8 rookies and has a dearth of picks. A rebuild is a must after being a top team for several years and making many additions. That's just the nature of OHL hockey.

First, I wasn't talking to you unless you're accidentally replying with your alternate account.

Second, I understand your point about junior hockey cycles. I'm the one on my board always talking about not being stuck in the middle. If you're bad...trade what you can and get real bad (and young). If you're good, add to it and make the team as good as you possibly can. I just don't see that the Soo is in that position right now....I mean I get that you don't want to be left with nothing once all the impact vets leave, but when you are in 1st in your division (even without your #1 in the nets as much as you'd like), and you have all of these amazing players (as noted by Hockey Pops on seemingly every team's thread), to me it would make more sense to make a run. I mean if Hayton/Sambrook/Villalta/Frost etc are all as amazing as some would want us to believe, shouldn't you then try to make a run? I dunno. If Raftis does opt for selling, I'll be very impressed. It's not often you see a 1st (2nd) place team unload all of their best assets.

Reactions: LR8

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Let's get wild

To London:
-Nando Eggenberger (Euro)
-Jack Studnicka

To Oshawa
-Matvey Guskov (Euro)
-Jacob Golden
-2nd
-2nd
-3rd

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
First, I wasn't talking to you unless you're accidentally replying with your alternate account.

Second, I understand your point about junior hockey cycles. I'm the one on my board always talking about not being stuck in the middle. If you're bad...trade what you can and get real bad (and young). If you're good, add to it and make the team as good as you possibly can. I just don't see that the Soo is in that position right now....I mean I get that you don't want to be left with nothing once all the impact vets leave, but when you are in 1st in your division (even without your #1 in the nets as much as you'd like), and you have all of these amazing players (as noted by Hockey Pops on seemingly every team's thread), to me it would make more sense to make a run. I mean if Hayton/Sambrook/Villalta/Frost etc are all as amazing as some would want us to believe, shouldn't you then try to make a run? I dunno. If Raftis does opt for selling, I'll be very impressed. It's not often you see a 1st (2nd) place team unload all of their best assets.

I just had some thoughts to contribute, so I responded. I know you weren't talking about me.

Regarding the talent of those players, there shouldn't really be much debate. Three are on the Team Canada roster. Frost leads the league in scoring, Hayton was a 5th overall pick in the NHL.

I just question whether such a young team can make a serious run. Once the playoffs come around, the veterans will be overworked and the youngsters will be exposed. We see that happen to teams every year. If the Hounds had the assets to bolster the bottom 6 and defense then I would say go for it, but quite frankly they don't.

It's a risky play to go for it this year and be left with no picks in a rebuild. I think Raftis will be smart about it and set the team up for another extended run.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Man, you're out there pumping the Greyhounds players tires on every board it seems, and you've got me wondering....if they are so great (and you've argued that they're better than all the players they've been compared to), why on earth a #2 ranked team would sell?
Hah! Caught red-handed it seems. Is it a crime? Guess I should tone it down. It's easy to overlook a team first in their division when looking for potential sellers, and I am keen not to be overlooked. Too keen, perhaps?
I mean, if all the players are so terrific, why not just keep them and try to take a run at London?
SSM board is divided on this, and it probably won't be clear until the deadline which way Raftis decides to go. Western Conference is weak and none of the other teams are really stepping up to the plate to take on London. We might have to. We do have some terrific top talent players that won't be back next year. We have some very promising Rookies. We don't really have the supporting cast IMO. But if nobody else in the West goes for it, then we might have a relatively easy path to the Conference Finals and Raftis might stay the course. Problem with this plan is that we can't really add, and we will still have a dearth of picks and be short on supporting cast in the coming years. My feeling is building around our rookies is a safer option to avoid multiple losing seasons. This city hates losing seasons.
Three are on the Team Canada roster.
Team Canada Tryout* Roster

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Dipietro (the best goalie in the OHL, mem cup winner) didnt cost a young roster player.....the price is set...buyers market

As a Ranger fan who's team should be selling, you're unfortunately right. Buyers market for sure. Otherwise, DiPietro and Robertson before him would have had an '02 first rounder go the other way.

Reactions: LDN

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Dipietro (the best goalie in the OHL, mem cup winner) didnt cost a young roster player.....the price is set...buyers market

DiPietro and Vilardi have nothing to do with each other. The Vilardi price is set by Jason Robertson, a similar goal scorer, rental forward. Except Vilardi's game is a lot more complete than Robertson's is. Goalies never cost as much as elite forwards do

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

You cannot utilize a goalie value to set the market. There are less teams int he market for a goalie than a skater. Apples to Oranges.

I think the Robertson deal is the better measuring stick for 19 year old skaters.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
DiPietro and Vilardi have nothing to do with each other. The Vilardi price is set by Jason Robertson, a similar goal scorer, rental forward. Except Vilardi's game is a lot more complete than Robertson's is. Goalies never cost as much as elite forwards do
problem is he is always injured...price will be lower despite the fact that he is a better player...a young player could be involved though

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Rough Prices for players are
Vilardi = 4/5 - 2nds, 2/3 - 3rds...(all conditionals)
Villalta = 3-2nds, 2 3rds
Brazeau = 2 2nds & 2 3rds
Frost = 4/5 2nds, 3/4 3rds
Maksimovich = 2 2nds, 1 3rd
Nuemann = 3 2nds
Hayton =5/6 2nds, 4/5 34ds
Dellandria = 5/6 2nds, 4/5 34ds
Eliot = 2 2nds

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
problem is he is always injured...price will be lower despite the fact that he is a better player...a young player could be involved though

Not necessarily. The price is what 1 team is willing to spend for him. Will 1 team be willing to pay and just hope he's healthy? Probably

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Knights will try to foist Evangelista onto unsuspecting teams in a trade; trading team should demand Sahil Panwar

I hope they try to foist him on the Gens. Evangelista is going to be really good. He's just caught on the deepest F group in the OHL, maybe the CHL

Reactions: nelli27

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
If I was a GM, I 'd be talking to Kingston for the rights to Vilardi before WJR. Offer up a mid/late rounder and conditional 2nd's and 3rd's. Even if L.A. sends him back to the AHL, it would have only cost you a mid/late pick. If he plays well at WJR and is sent back to the O, I would imagine there would be a bidding war for him.

Reactions: LDN

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
If I was a GM, I 'd be talking to Kingston for the rights to Vilardi before WJR. Offer up a mid/late rounder and conditional 2nd's and 3rd's. Even if L.A. sends him back to the AHL, it would have only cost you a mid/late pick. If he plays well at WJR and is sent back to the O, I would imagine there would be a bidding war for him.

Why would Kingston ever do that?

They can wait until after the WJ's so everyone sees him dominate and now there's no conditionals, everyone is offering high end picks/players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad