Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Actually, even if we're in the same spot (3rd OV in the east) in the standings come trade deadline, I would not pay for veteran help.

I think we're the 2nd youngest team in the league. Without admitting it, MB has implemented a rebuild. So if we're still high in the standings I would trade only the expendable veterans: Benn, Alzner, Schlemko, Pleky for more picks and/or prospects. The trade deadline would be an excellent opportunity to add more young blood for players that can't really help us but might be of value to other teams looking to make some noise in the playoffs.
I used to think Plekanec would fetch us a 3rd but I’m coming to the conclusion that he’ll be traded for nothing and will retire a Canadien.

His salary this year is in my view a severance pay for years rendered to the Canadiens organization.

His so called “Back issues” will keep him out most of the year. Convenient for Plekanec as he can retire without any serious long lasting concussion or injury that would jeopardize his long term health.

Reactions: Runner77 and 417

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
I always wondered the accuracy of these kinds of stats. Never looked into it real hard but how is this tracked? By humans? There should be a measure of accuracy. Kind of like marketing polls
I think xGF means "expected goals for" meaning good scoring chances and is based on where the shot was taken from among other things. I gather there are people (I presume with slide-rules and pocket protectors) paying attention to that and coming up with the shot distribution graphs and so on, but I don't really know what to make of many of the advanced stats.
Overall, I'm not sure how sustainable the current production will be but it does not appear to be coming from high shooting percentages or puck luck so who knows.
It would certainly be ironic if we traded away our best two scorers and ended up scoring more this year.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think xGF means "expected goals for" meaning good scoring chances and is based on where the shot was taken from among other things. I gather there are people (I presume with slide-rules and pocket protectors) paying attention to that and coming up with the shot distribution graphs and so on, but I don't really know what to make of many of the advanced stats.
Overall, I'm not sure how sustainable the current production will be but it does not appear to be coming from high shooting percentages or puck luck so who knows.
It would certainly be ironic if we traded away our best two scorers and ended up scoring more this year.

5 on 5 Stats:
The xGF is at 14.8 (ranks 19th)
The xGA is at 12.6 (ranks 3rd)
The xG +/- is at 2.2 (ranks 8th)

All Situations:
The xGF is at 22.21 (ranks 24th)
The xGA is at 19.06 (ranks 2nd)
The xG +/- is at 3.15 (ranks 8th)

Interesting to evaluate after 8 games. Sounds very on par with how I saw us potentially having success before the season started. We lack goal scoring ability but we can be a top 10 team in defense and sneak into the playoffs. But with less time and space and facing against the top teams at their best in the playoffs, we will struggle. It's hard to measure how our speed game, better center depth, and overall better forward depth helps make our team better prepared for the top teams. Time will tell.

I like simple. Scoring chances per game would be something I understand more. Then I can compare that to shots for and goals for.

Last edited:

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
The xGF is at 14.8 (ranks 19th)
The xGA is at 12.6 (ranks 3rd)
The xG +/- is at 2.2 (ranks 8th)

Interesting to evaluate after 8 games. Sounds very on par with how I saw us potentially having success before the season started. We lack goal scoring ability but we can be a top 10 team in defense and sneak into the playoffs. But with less time and space and facing against the top teams at their best in the playoffs, we will struggle. It's hard to measure how our speed game, better center depth, and overall better forward depth helps make our team better prepared for the top teams. Time will tell.

I like simple. Scoring chances per game would be something I understand more. Then I can compare that to shots for and goals for.
I think that would be the xGF/60. We are 14th according to that site. There are probably different stats for "scoring chances" but to me deciding what constitutes a scoring chance would be pretty subjective.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I think the clear change in strategy that coincidentally came with the hiring of Ducharme is the major contributing factor to the improved play.

I expect we'd have similar results if Galchenyuk and Pacioretty were still in the lineup.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
I think the clear change in strategy that coincidentally came with the hiring of Ducharme is the major contributing factor to the improved play.

I expect we'd have similar results if Galchenyuk and Pacioretty were still in the lineup.
Maybe. Who knows. I would say though that having Domi playing well at center is huge. It makes setting up the rest of the line-up so much easier. It might have been the same with AG at center but they were never going to do that.
And I don't think that Max and AG play with the same energy as Domi and Tatar do.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Maybe. Who knows. I would say though that having Domi playing well at center is huge. It makes setting up the rest of the line-up so much easier. It might have been the same with AG at center but they were never going to do that.
And I don't think that Max and AG play with the same energy as Domi and Tatar do.

It's all speculation for sure. But the overall game style is radically changed, and for me that's the fundamental difference.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Someone's close to coming back. I wonder what player movement ensues.

Reactions: groovejuice

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Question... Horton's contract is uninsured so the Leafs are paying him his salary (not an insurance company) while he sits and don't play. He is due $3.6M next year and it remains to be seen if the Leafs can work around his contract in the off season to fit everybody in. Lets say there is complications for the Leafs to work around this (Cap hit of LTIR player - Amount of cap space available = Amount a team can exceed the cap in the off season). It's explained here... The Horton Contract: Cap implications of Long Term Injury Reserve | Maple Leafs Hotstove

1) How many teams would even be willing to take on that contract and pay him money out of pocket?

2) What would you expect the Leafs to add for us to take it on and write ask Molson to write off $3.6M?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How does Leddy fit our team? He has 4 more years left at at $5.5M from age 27-31. If we are in a playoff spot come deadline (with some couchin), do you try to trade for him? I was thinking about a package that I would offer. I prefer we tank but if our young group of forwards continue to improve and produce while Price is Price and Weber is Weber, I consider making this move if we are a legit playoff team and have shown ability to score all year.

The idea here is we have several guys that has scored 30+ and the youth keep getting better from here till deadline. Do you believe they can make some noise in the playoffs?

Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Drouin / Domi / Lehkonen
Byron / Kotkaniemi / Armia
Peca / Pleky / Hudon

Deslauriers

Leddy / Weber
Schlemko or Quellet / Petry
Reilly / Juulsen

Schlemko or Quellet, Alzner

Price
Niemi

My potential package offer is (I don't go any higher). I'd be willing to stomach this and not sure what teams beat us with an offer
Mete
Shaw
Scherbak
2019 1st (20 ish pick)
2020 2nd (50 ish pick)

What's interesting to note is Leddy is a bit younger, signed for one more year, and the more proven 40+ pts guy but how much better is he vs Petry?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
How does Leddy fit our team? He has 4 more years left at at $5.5M from age 27-31. If we are in a playoff spot come deadline (with some couchin), do you try to trade for him? I was thinking about a package that I would offer. I prefer we tank but if our young group of forwards continue to improve and produce while Price is Price and Weber is Weber, I consider making this move if we are a legit playoff team and have shown ability to score all year.

The idea here is we have several guys that has scored 30+ and the youth keep getting better from here till deadline. Do you believe they can make some noise in the playoffs?

Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Drouin / Domi / Lehkonen
Byron / Kotkaniemi / Armia
Peca / Pleky / Hudon

Deslauriers

Leddy / Weber
Schlemko or Quellet / Petry
Reilly / Juulsen

Schlemko or Quellet, Alzner

Price
Niemi

My potential package offer is (I don't go any higher). I'd be willing to stomach this and not sure what teams beat us with an offer
Mete
Shaw
Scherbak
2019 1st (20 ish pick)
2020 2nd (50 ish pick)

What's interesting to note is Leddy is a bit younger, signed for one more year, and the more proven 40+ pts guy but how much better is he vs Petry?

Jesus man, cool your jets. That’s a LOT to be giving for Leddy.

Reactions: Want My Dach x 77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Jesus man, cool your jets. That’s a LOT to be giving for Leddy.

Ok, put your money where your mouth is. What is your package? Were talking about a guy who is 27, signed for 4 years and a more proven asset vs Petry.

The only part of that package that hurts is Mete and the 1st. The rest are meh and we do get rid of Shaw in the process. Leddy easily replaces Mete and the 1st is a 20 ish cause there is no way in hell I'm making this trade if we are not a playoff team. Think about the cap space we create by unloading Mete, Scherbak, Shaw and adding Leddy. It's a wash so we still have money to go after a piece up front and we have zero holes on the back end for several years to come.

Are you implying we are able to get Leddy for cheap cause he has zero points in 8 games so far? Hey, if Shaw, Mete, Scherbak, and a 2nd gets it done, I'm all for it.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
based on what?

Based on we already spend a lot of money to buy out Mason. Buy outs are not easy to convince ownership into writing off money that affects profit. The reason why we were able to buy out Mason and add Armia is due to the money we saved by not being able to re-sign Markov and Radulov. It's possible we are saving more money again this year but maybe Molson is saving that for writing off Bergevin's contract :sarcasm:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I'm talking about a hypothetical case where we are clearly a playoff team at the deadline...

So IF we are CLEARLY going to make the playoffs at the deadline, you want to trade our vets? I cant remember the last time a team did that.

Also, it's not like I'm suggesting that we trade our 1st+prospects for Edler. If we can get him with a similar package that we got Petry with(2nd and a 4th) I would do it in that case.

Do you think this team is a legit contender?

If not, there's zero reason to trade futures for rentals.

If we can bolster depth by trading away young players we are ready to move on from, sure....

Or if we can swap redundant vets with someone where we shore up areas we are thin in, great.

But the goal should be to build a winner, which means upgrading talent/assets from a long term perspective.

A guy like Edler definitely does not fit that picture.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Ok, put your money where your mouth is. What is your package? Were talking about a guy who is 27, signed for 4 years and a more proven asset vs Petry.

The only part of that package that hurts is Mete and the 1st. The rest are meh and we do get rid of Shaw in the process. Leddy easily replaces Mete and the 1st is a 20 ish cause there is no way in hell I'm making this trade if we are not a playoff team. Think about the cap space we create by unloading Mete, Scherbak, Shaw and adding Leddy. It's a wash so we still have money to go after a piece up front and we have zero holes on the back end for several years to come.

Are you implying we are able to get Leddy for cheap cause he has zero points in 8 games so far? Hey, if Shaw, Mete, Scherbak, and a 2nd gets it done, I'm all for it.

I trade NOT your package. Habs win!

;)

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I wouldn't touch Leddy, he's been brutal defensively these past few seasons. We need a rock solid defensive LHD who can eat big minutes, move the puck and make smart plays.

Does Hamrlik still play hockey? :laugh:

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wouldn't touch Leddy, he's been brutal defensively these past few seasons. We need a rock solid defensive LHD who can eat big minutes, move the puck and make smart plays.

Does Hamrlik still play hockey? :laugh:

How much of a factor is playing on a bad team with Leddy and his defensive play? I'd definitely be interested if the price to acquire was right and didn't hurt our future too much. Leddy would be a very good fit with Weber in the next 4 years. Age 27-31 is a solid contract and it fits the Weber window as well. I would use Mete, Scherbak, 2nd round pick, Shaw as pieces to acquire. Then I would see what we could get for Petry to balance out the D.

Would you rather have Leddy playing with Weber or Quellet? Or do you plan on moving Reilly up to play with Weber and either Mete or Quellet with Juulsen?

Leddy / Weber
Reilly / Juulsen
Quellet / Fleury
Romanov / Brook

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I am really surprised reading about how Leddys game has fallen off. So what is the value difference between Leddy and Petry ?

Leddy........Weber
Reilly..........Juulsen

The combos work better with a LHD like Leddy versus a RHD like Petry.

Leddy and Dobson for Petry plus ?

Havent been following Dobson so dont know how he is doing, but does this make sense for us and the Isles and what do we have to add ?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I am really surprised reading about how Leddys game has fallen off. So what is the value difference between Leddy and Petry ?

Leddy........Weber
Reilly..........Juulsen

The combos work better with a LHD like Leddy versus a RHD like Petry.

Leddy and Dobson for Petry plus ?

Havent been following Dobson so dont know how he is doing, but does this make sense for us and the Isles and what do we have to add ?
Can't see the Isles moving Dobson so soon. They were elated to get him

Reactions: L4br3cqu3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad