Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Aside from failing to appreciate the value of assets you are trading away, and assets you are getting back, the big killer is desperation.

We have many examples if both in our history , but so do other teams. Gainey was desperate to change team culture and get a centre, and Gomez trade happens. MB has been there and done that as we know. But we also know he has used situations to his advantage.

The next year is going to be interesting and present opportunities because of the usual suspects of Salary Cap, Internal Cap ( see Ottawa ), parity and Expansion Draft.

We have to be smart.

On the Expansion Draft if a guy has 2 years of North Ameeican pro experience he must be protected.

At forward we have Drouin, Danault, Gallagher, Lehkonen, Byron, Tatar and then Armia, Scherbak, Peca etc. You add in a player like Kotkaniemi this year then he will have the 2 years in and will need protection. Another reason to send him back home.

At D it's a really an issue with Weber, Petry, Mete and Juulsen. We don't want to lose any of these guys for nothing.

To me a smart play would be to trade Petry this year before the TDL because teams will be less focused on the expansion issue than they will next year.

At the same time, we have tons of young prospects that will not need to be protected, we could use them to upgrade from some team that really doesnt want to lose a guy of value for nothing.

And no, not everybody can just make a deal with Seattle. Dont count on it. There are teams who los t really good players to Vegas.

Salary Cap and Internal Cap. We know how this works and MB has used it to advantage. Ottawa got killed in the Karlsson trade and one reason is that any team trading for him needed to have an extra $11M or so after this season to try to sign him. So market was more limited for that reason. And if course Ottawas own internal budget was key. So MB needs to use this again. Petry example, retain, it's only 2 more years after this one.

Parity. This isnt a league of 4 or 5 teams being buyers at the TDL. There are many teams that will be involved. Current top teams, up and comers, ones taking a final shot, and teams so desperate to just get in, like the Oil, Canes and Florida. I think there will be a lot of buyers.

Desperation. Seek it, dont be it.

I really hit desperation talking about parity. If MB and more importantly Molson are set on the post season if there is any glimmer of hope, I think we get hosed. Desperation kicks in. There should be a glimmer by the way,. If Price is back in form you could add 10 points anyway to last season. So then no Petry trade. Instead maybe we move youth for vets. Not good.

Instead, if we just forget the play offs as a goal, no pressure and no desperation. Just look towards 2019-20. Take advantage of desperate teams.

Petry I think will be highly sought as a no.3 RHD. We will see about how Armia works out but he could be moved and others yet unknown.

Chaos provides opportunity as long as you can look in from the outside.

Dichow Stopper

Former ChuckyToGally
Aug 9, 2004
The only issue I have with this deal is that if everyone has a proper development this year, 3.4M$ is too much for a guy who could play on the 4th line as soon as next year (19-20)...

Top 9 :
Armia
Danault
Domi
Drouin
Gallagher
Lehkonen
Kotkaniemi
Suzuki
Tatar

Of course, things can happen until then (injuries and/or trades).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Are the Leafs allowed to trade Kessel's salary retention? If so, What about Domi for Nylander and Kessel's $1.2M salary retention for 4 years? I doubt they bite but thoughts on it?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Are the Leafs allowed to trade Kessel's salary retention? If so, What about Domi for Nylander and Kessel's $1.2M salary retention for 4 years? I doubt they bite but thoughts on it?
Leafs would never do that. Nylander is legit. I also dont get the Nylander to Habs proposals. Yeah he is a great player, but we have more than enough wingers. I am honestly only focused on dmen. No team will give us a blue chip center prospect, we have to draft one this year. Dmen however are more likely to be traded, and besides Mete, it looks awful.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Leafs would never do that. Nylander is legit. I also dont get the Nylander to Habs proposals. Yeah he is a great player, but we have more than enough wingers. I am honestly only focused on dmen. No team will give us a blue chip center prospect, we have to draft one this year. Dmen however are more likely to be traded, and besides Mete, it looks awful.

Nylander is one of those wingers that may be a center guys, which Bergevin seems to love.

Nylander is probably better than any Habs forward and he's the one Leafs young star that's probably underrated (the gap between him and Marner is not huge, if its there at all).

That said, Montreal shouldn't be willing to trade what it would cost to get him. I don't much fancy the idea of Dubas and Bergevin making a trade.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Nylander is one of those wingers that may be a center guys, which Bergevin seems to love.

Nylander is probably better than any Habs forward and he's the one Leafs young star that's probably underrated (the gap between him and Marner is not huge, if its there at all).

That said, Montreal shouldn't be willing to trade what it would cost to get him. I don't much fancy the idea of Dubas and Bergevin making a trade.
If we can trade a winger for him 1 for 1 then sure. But I am definitely not giving up kotkaniemi for him.

MC94

May 13, 2018
Last I checked nylander can play center but why would he when as much as I hate to admit the leafs center depth is really great right now hed be 4th line for them

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Last I checked nylander can play center but why would he when as much as I hate to admit the leafs center depth is really great right now hed be 4th line for them
It's just like when Galchenyuk played center tbh. I want a REAL center. Leafs have those which is why nylander can play wing.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
If we can trade a winger for him 1 for 1 then sure. But I am definitely not giving up kotkaniemi for him.

Well, you aren't going to be able to do that since Nylander is better and younger than all of Montreal's wingers. Some guys are more valuable basedon situation or eventual cap hits, but Nylander is generally better.

But if you can somehow set up trade around Domi ++ where you keep 1sts, Mete, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki and Poehling, then you have to do it. Something like Domi, Shaw and Juulsen perhaps. Montreal has depth, they need star caliber players. Nylander is already there (or will be soon), and he's a young 22.

Dubas isn't an idiot though, he wont move Nylander for cheap. He'll do a Yzerman and hoodwink a GM (like trade Nylander to Dallas for Heiskanen+).

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Well, you aren't going to be able to do that since Nylander is better and younger than all of Montreal's wingers. Some guys are more valuable basedon situation or eventual cap hits, but Nylander is generally better.

But if you can somehow set up trade around Domi ++ where you keep 1sts, Mete, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki and Poehling, then you have to do it. Something like Domi, Shaw and Juulsen perhaps. Montreal has depth, they need star caliber players. Nylander is already there (or will be soon), and he's a young 22.

Dubas isn't an idiot though, he wont move Nylander for cheap. He'll do a Yzerman and hoodwink a GM (like trade Nylander to Dallas for Heiskanen+).
Which is why it doesn't make sense imo. But yes of course if Dubas is high and asks for Domi+Juulsen+2nd I'll drive them to Toronto myself.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

If the Leafs wanted to trade Nylander and Kessel's cap it for Domi, I make the trade. I have Nylander as a upgrade on Domi.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Trade Tatar and Armia
Sign Duchene 7-7.5 mil

Next year:
Drouin - Duchene - Gallagher
Domi - Kotkaniemi - Lehkonen
Hudon - Poehling - Scherbak
Byron - Danault - Suzuki
Shaw

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

He's gone for sure

Gotta go all in on him this summer

I was thinking about this the other day... When I tried to slot him in, it became difficult once Kotkaniemi, Poehling, and Suzuki are ready. Could be as early as next year. So then I moved Duchene to wing and still had difficulty. Rather keep the cap space for a possible situation where we can get a LD.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Trade Tatar and Armia
Sign Duchene 7-7.5 mil

Next year:
Drouin - Duchene - Gallagher
Domi - Kotkaniemi - Lehkonen
Hudon - Poehling - Scherbak
Byron - Danault - Suzuki
Shaw

Looks decent but I rather spend the money on LD. And Suzuki on the 4th line is not right. Also depends on what pick we get in the next draft. Imagine if we draft another center?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Which is why it doesn't make sense imo. But yes of course if Dubas is high and asks for Domi+Juulsen+2nd I'll drive them to Toronto myself.

Subtract Juulsen. I know...Dubas would need to be more high. But Juulsen to me is off the table. I'm willing to give them cap relieve and Domi for Nylander. That would be the only deal I would do. The 2nd and Juulsen are pieces that we could very well regret trading.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
if the leafs are trading nylander its for a defenceman....its their biggest need and he will fetch them that.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Looks decent but I rather spend the money on LD. And Suzuki on the 4th line is not right. Also depends on what pick we get in the next draft. Imagine if we draft another center?

What LD would you spent the money on?

Duchene >>>>> Suzuki

If we get Hughes or cozens, then it changes things a little bit, but I don't think we will finish low enough to get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad