Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by montreal, Sep 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

2. mariolemieux66

mariolemieux66 Registered User

hehe...hehe!
    I would have traded Byron and Benn to Dallas for a 2019 2nd and 2019 4th.

3. sampollock

sampollock Registered User

getting it done
    Bryon was tradebait

4. yianik

yianik Registered User

Aside from failing to appreciate the value of assets you are trading away, and assets you are getting back, the big killer is desperation.

We have many examples if both in our history , but so do other teams. Gainey was desperate to change team culture and get a centre, and Gomez trade happens. MB has been there and done that as we know. But we also know he has used situations to his advantage.

The next year is going to be interesting and present opportunities because of the usual suspects of Salary Cap, Internal Cap ( see Ottawa ), parity and Expansion Draft.

We have to be smart.

On the Expansion Draft if a guy has 2 years of North Ameeican pro experience he must be protected.

At forward we have Drouin, Danault, Gallagher, Lehkonen, Byron, Tatar and then Armia, Scherbak, Peca etc. You add in a player like Kotkaniemi this year then he will have the 2 years in and will need protection. Another reason to send him back home.

At D it's a really an issue with Weber, Petry, Mete and Juulsen. We don't want to lose any of these guys for nothing.

To me a smart play would be to trade Petry this year before the TDL because teams will be less focused on the expansion issue than they will next year.

At the same time, we have tons of young prospects that will not need to be protected, we could use them to upgrade from some team that really doesnt want to lose a guy of value for nothing.

And no, not everybody can just make a deal with Seattle. Dont count on it. There are teams who los t really good players to Vegas.

Salary Cap and Internal Cap. We know how this works and MB has used it to advantage. Ottawa got killed in the Karlsson trade and one reason is that any team trading for him needed to have an extra $11M or so after this season to try to sign him. So market was more limited for that reason. And if course Ottawas own internal budget was key. So MB needs to use this again. Petry example, retain, it's only 2 more years after this one.

Parity. This isnt a league of 4 or 5 teams being buyers at the TDL. There are many teams that will be involved. Current top teams, up and comers, ones taking a final shot, and teams so desperate to just get in, like the Oil, Canes and Florida. I think there will be a lot of buyers.

Desperation. Seek it, dont be it.

I really hit desperation talking about parity. If MB and more importantly Molson are set on the post season if there is any glimmer of hope, I think we get hosed. Desperation kicks in. There should be a glimmer by the way,. If Price is back in form you could add 10 points anyway to last season. So then no Petry trade. Instead maybe we move youth for vets. Not good.

Instead, if we just forget the play offs as a goal, no pressure and no desperation. Just look towards 2019-20. Take advantage of desperate teams.

Petry I think will be highly sought as a no.3 RHD. We will see about how Armia works out but he could be moved and others yet unknown.

Chaos provides opportunity as long as you can look in from the outside.

5. Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer Registered User

Still can be. He has no NMC at all. Can be traded at any time and not a bad contract.

6. DummyGotHisDomi

DummyGotHisDomi Former ChuckyToGally

The only issue I have with this deal is that if everyone has a proper development this year, 3.4M$ is too much for a guy who could play on the 4th line as soon as next year (19-20)...

Top 9 :
    Armia
    Danault
    Domi
    Drouin
    Gallagher
    Lehkonen
    Kotkaniemi
    Suzuki
    Tatar

Of course, things can happen until then (injuries and/or trades).

7. TooLegitToQuit

TooLegitToQuit Loyal Habs Fan

Civil Engineering
    Are the Leafs allowed to trade Kessel's salary retention? If so, What about Domi for Nylander and Kessel's $1.2M salary retention for 4 years? I doubt they bite but thoughts on it?

8. The Great Schlemko

The Great Schlemko "The Food Will Be Better"

Leafs would never do that. Nylander is legit. I also dont get the Nylander to Habs proposals. Yeah he is a great player, but we have more than enough wingers. I am honestly only focused on dmen. No team will give us a blue chip center prospect, we have to draft one this year. Dmen however are more likely to be traded, and besides Mete, it looks awful.

Sterling Archer likes this.
  9. Hannibal

Hannibal Fear the Weber

Petry is our only trade bait...

10. Captain Mountain

Captain Mountain Formerly Captain Wolverine

Nylander is one of those wingers that may be a center guys, which Bergevin seems to love.

Nylander is probably better than any Habs forward and he's the one Leafs young star that's probably underrated (the gap between him and Marner is not huge, if its there at all).

That said, Montreal shouldn't be willing to trade what it would cost to get him. I don't much fancy the idea of Dubas and Bergevin making a trade.

Per Sjoblom likes this.
  11. The Great Schlemko

If we can trade a winger for him 1 for 1 then sure. But I am definitely not giving up kotkaniemi for him.

12. MC94

MC94 Registered User

Last I checked nylander can play center but why would he when as much as I hate to admit the leafs center depth is really great right now hed be 4th line for them

13. The Great Schlemko

It's just like when Galchenyuk played center tbh. I want a REAL center. Leafs have those which is why nylander can play wing.

14. Captain Mountain

Captain Mountain Formerly Captain Wolverine

Well, you aren't going to be able to do that since Nylander is better and younger than all of Montreal's wingers. Some guys are more valuable basedon situation or eventual cap hits, but Nylander is generally better.

But if you can somehow set up trade around Domi ++ where you keep 1sts, Mete, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki and Poehling, then you have to do it. Something like Domi, Shaw and Juulsen perhaps. Montreal has depth, they need star caliber players. Nylander is already there (or will be soon), and he's a young 22.

Dubas isn't an idiot though, he wont move Nylander for cheap. He'll do a Yzerman and hoodwink a GM (like trade Nylander to Dallas for Heiskanen+).

15. The Great Schlemko

Which is why it doesn't make sense imo. But yes of course if Dubas is high and asks for Domi+Juulsen+2nd I'll drive them to Toronto myself.

16. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    If the Leafs wanted to trade Nylander and Kessel's cap it for Domi, I make the trade. I have Nylander as a upgrade on Domi.

17. Kudo Shinichi

Kudo Shinichi Registered User

He's gone for sure

Gotta go all in on him this summer

Habitant le colon likes this.
  18. HabsWhiteKnightLOL

HabsWhiteKnightLOL Registered User

being sick
    lol 7.5-8m for duchène? never

Per Sjoblom likes this.
  19. Kudo Shinichi

Trade Tatar and Armia
    Sign Duchene 7-7.5 mil

Next year:
    Drouin - Duchene - Gallagher
    Domi - Kotkaniemi - Lehkonen
    Hudon - Poehling - Scherbak
    Byron - Danault - Suzuki
    Shaw

20. 76ftw

76ftw Registered User

Wash your mouth out with soap.

21. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    I was thinking about this the other day... When I tried to slot him in, it became difficult once Kotkaniemi, Poehling, and Suzuki are ready. Could be as early as next year. So then I moved Duchene to wing and still had difficulty. Rather keep the cap space for a possible situation where we can get a LD.

22. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    Looks decent but I rather spend the money on LD. And Suzuki on the 4th line is not right. Also depends on what pick we get in the next draft. Imagine if we draft another center?

23. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    Subtract Juulsen. I know...Dubas would need to be more high. But Juulsen to me is off the table. I'm willing to give them cap relieve and Domi for Nylander. That would be the only deal I would do. The 2nd and Juulsen are pieces that we could very well regret trading.

24. CHarlie

CHarlie They feed me CHicken

handing over empties
    if the leafs are trading nylander its for a defenceman....its their biggest need and he will fetch them that.

25. Kudo Shinichi

What LD would you spent the money on?

Duchene >>>>> Suzuki

If we get Hughes or cozens, then it changes things a little bit, but I don't think we will finish low enough to get them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.