Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's a mirage mate. We are not a PO team.
Habs are playing way above their heads.

What's your reasons? Cause we finished near the bottom last year with a team that had several key injuries? Sounds like 2016/2017 all over again. I agree we are not a top 3 potential in the Atlantic but we are definitely in the wild card playoff spot mix.

Playing way above their heads? The game is not played on paper and every season is different. By playing over their heads, you mean they are showing up and working hard game after game like pretty much any team that is successful?

Told you before, it's cheap to be a critic. Probability is we don't make the playoffs but after this start, the team is confident and getting Weber back in a month ish will boost their confidence even more. A wild card spot is well within reach

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I'm talking about a hypothetical case where we are clearly a playoff team at the deadline...

So IF we are CLEARLY going to make the playoffs at the deadline, you want to trade our vets? I cant remember the last time a team did that.

Also, it's not like I'm suggesting that we trade our 1st+prospects for Edler. If we can get him with a similar package that we got Petry with(2nd and a 4th) I would do it in that case.
The goalposts have been moved or did you not notice? Kriss went from clearly a playoff team to a contender. Although I vehemently disagree with his tanking strategy, I have to go with him on this one. If at the deadline we look like just a playoff contender, I wouldn't move picks and/or young prospects for a veteran player. I might be persuaded to move a veteran player (Pleky, Benn, Alzner) for draft picks and/or young prospects. But let's wait and see what sort of team we have at the deadline. Until a couple of weeks ago everyone on this board except for a very small minority thought this team would land in the bottom 5

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I guess it's tough to answer right now as I have no faith in this group.
They're entertaining but I have zero belief in Domi and Danault as 2 centers and the lack of overall skill.
So maybe by the deadline I'll have changed my mind because right now I have 0 belief we add anywhere contention, adding Edler won't change that.
Adding Edler wont change that but it helps them at that time, even if it's a Cinderella run. I also doubt that he would cost much.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The goalposts have been moved or did you not notice? Kriss went from clearly a playoff team to a contender. Although I vehemently disagree with his tanking strategy, I have to go with him on this one. If at the deadline we look like just a playoff contender, I wouldn't move picks and/or young prospects for a veteran player. I might be persuaded to move a veteran player (Pleky, Benn, Alzner) for draft picks and/or young prospects. But let's wait and see what sort of team we have at the deadline. Until a couple of weeks ago everyone on this board except for a very small minority thought this team would land in the bottom 5
If we are undoubtedly a playoff team come the deadline, I wouldn't mind getting help(assuming it doesn't cost much).

If we are a wildcard team(or anything lower) at the deadline, I would trade veterans.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
If we are undoubtedly a playoff team come the deadline, I wouldn't mind getting help(assuming it doesn't cost much).

If we are a wildcard team(or anything lower) at the deadline, I would trade veterans.

Our division seems to be a pain in the ass. Our games against Boston, Tampa and Toronto will be very important....but i doubt we can be anything more than in a wildcard spot.

Bergevin is already in a position to make a trade, too much bodies.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
After the buy out of Alzner next summer(hopefully), the trade of Shaw for picks or prospect(hopefully),with all the money available i would go hard after a game breaking player like Panarin or Stone on the UFA market if they get there. 7/8.5M for Stone and 7/9.5M for Panarin

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What's your reasons? Cause we finished near the bottom last year with a team that had several key injuries? Sounds like 2016/2017 all over again. I agree we are not a top 3 potential in the Atlantic but we are definitely in the wild card playoff spot mix.

Playing way above their heads? The game is not played on paper and every season is different. By playing over their heads, you mean they are showing up and working hard game after game like pretty much any team that is successful?

Told you before, it's cheap to be a critic. Probability is we don't make the playoffs but after this start, the team is confident and getting Weber back in a month ish will boost their confidence even more. A wild card spot is well within reach
Because they have 1 loss in 8 games?...Because we have three players producing at a ppg pace including Jeff Petry...Because Gallagher is on a 60G scoring pace...? Need me to go on?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Actually, even if we're in the same spot (3rd OV in the east) in the standings come trade deadline, I would not pay for veteran help.

I think we're the 2nd youngest team in the league. Without admitting it, MB has implemented a rebuild. So if we're still high in the standings I would trade only the expendable veterans: Benn, Alzner, Schlemko, Pleky for more picks and/or prospects. The trade deadline would be an excellent opportunity to add more young blood for players that can't really help us but might be of value to other teams looking to make some noise in the playoffs.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Because they have 1 loss in 8 games?...Because we have three players producing at a ppg pace including Jeff Petry...Because Gallagher is on a 60G scoring pace...? Need me to go on?
Gallagher might be on pace for an unsustainable 60G pace...

Lehkonen is on pace for 10G...I don't think that's sustainable either.

So things will balance out, both ways.

But ultimately, I agree with you, I still don't see a playoff team here...but's its a team that's much better than last years (hard to be worse, I know).

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
If Bergevin is going to do anything to improve this team, he has to target young players who will fit the speed and aggressive game that they are playing. Yes, that means getting rid of Alzner and possibly Shaw. But I hope he doesn't go after stop gap players in their thirties.

Reactions: Simarino

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Gallagher might be on pace for an unsustainable 60G pace...

Lehkonen is on pace for 10G...I don't think that's sustainable either.

So things will balance out, both ways.

But ultimately, I agree with you, I still don't see a playoff team here...but's its a team that's much better than last years (hard to be worse, I know).
Lehk is on pace for 60pts...so maybe his goal total rises, but his points would drop. He had 12G last year, albeit over 66gp, but it wouldn't surprise me if Lek puts between 10-15G. His goal total can increase a bit...but it will be nowhere the significant drop Gallagher should see from his current 60G pace.
We have 9 players averaging paces between 40-80pts...with no star players up front or on D (without Weber).

I won't be sold on this team for a long time. The wild cards are Domi and Drouin. Those two had the most potential up front and if they can reach their high ceiling, well that could change things. But I'll need more time to buy into that.

Reactions: 417

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Lehk is on pace for 60pts...so maybe his goal total rises, but his points would drop. He had 12G last year, albeit over 66gp, but it wouldn't surprise me if Lek puts between 10-15G. His goal total can increase a bit...but it will be nowhere the significant drop Gallagher should see from his current 60G pace.
We have 9 players averaging paces between 40-80pts...with no star players up front or on D (without Weber).

I won't be sold on this team for a long time. The wild cards are Domi and Drouin. Those two had the most potential up front and if they can reach their high ceiling, well that could change things. But I'll need more time to buy into that.

Overall, the Habs are averaging 3.4 goals per game. That will definitely drop.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Overall, the Habs are averaging 3.4 goals per game. That will definitely drop.

Agreed. Anybody know of a site that tracks shots and scoring chances? I'd like to see how the Habs stack up in comparison to the rest of the league. Something tells me we have over produce in scoring chances in order to score 3 goals a game.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
Agreed. Anybody know of a site that tracks shots and scoring chances? I'd like to see how the Habs stack up in comparison to the rest of the league. Something tells me we have over produce in scoring chances in order to score 3 goals a game.
Corsica | Team Stats

PDO is about 100 - sustainable
Shot % is 8.54 - sustainable

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Corsica | Team Stats

PDO is about 100 - sustainable
Shot % is 8.54 - sustainable

Shot% ranks 17th and PDO ranks 14th. Seems like middle of the pack to me. However, we do rank in the top 10 in many other categories. I guess that's why some people think where we sit right now is not sustainable. I know we lack goal scoring power so I can't argue too much against it. It's reasonable to expect less goals moving forward based on previous season trends and our ability to score is affected by this.

I'm not a corsi expert. But where do we see scoring chances? I'm interested in a direct relationship to shots for, scoring chances, and goals for. The only thing I can't find is scoring chances.

Reactions: 417

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
After the buy out of Alzner next summer(hopefully), the trade of Shaw for picks or prospect(hopefully),with all the money available i would go hard after a game breaking player like Panarin or Stone on the UFA market if they get there. 7/8.5M for Stone and 7/9.5M for Panarin
There will be no buyouts

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
Shot% ranks 17th and PDO ranks 14th. Seems like middle of the pack to me. However, we do rank in the top 10 in many other categories. I guess that's why some people think where we sit right now is not sustainable.

I'm not a corsi expert. But where do we see scoring chances? I'm interested in a direct relationship to shots for, scoring chances, and goals for. The only thing I can't find is scoring chances.
Except the PDO and shot % are two of the stats that indicate luckiness. Most of the others are indicative of good play.
The xGF number indicates shot quality/expected goals but I am not that familiar with how to interpret that stat or the xGF%. I think that there is some dispute as to whether those stats are meaningful too so....

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Except the PDO and shot % are two of the stats that indicate luckiness. Most of the others are indicative of good play.
The xGF number indicates shot quality/expected goals but I am not that familiar with how to interpret that stat or the xGF%. I think that there is some dispute as to whether those stats are meaningful too so....

I always wondered the accuracy of these kinds of stats. Never looked into it real hard but how is this tracked? By humans? There should be a measure of accuracy. Kind of like marketing polls

Even when it comes down to scoring chances, you and I might count different numbers per game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad