Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I have a feeling MB is waiting in the weeds to pounce on one of these RFAs. How much cap space do we actually have to work with after sending folks like Wiese/Alzner etc down?

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I have a feeling MB is waiting in the weeds to pounce on one of these RFAs. How much cap space do we actually have to work with after sending folks like Wiese/Alzner etc down?

With Weise, Peca and Alzner in the AHL and Poehling/Juulsen on the team we have $6.281M in cap space right now with a 23 man roster (13F, 8D, 2G).

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I agree maybe not 10m but 8-9m I would be more then ok with that. Make change after for the Cap, Provorov would be our futur #1 defenseman for years.

Provorov isn't really a 8-9m D either. He's really good, but he's not really a #1 D right now and my bet is he never really becomes a clear-cut #1 D.

Dichow Stopper

Former ChuckyToGally
Aug 9, 2004
Provorov isn't really a 8-9m D either. He's really good, but he's not really a #1 D right now and my bet is he never really becomes a clear-cut #1 D.

I could definitely live with 8M$ per but it that’s what it takes, I guess that the Flyers will gladly keep him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
you pay him

Paying him would not be a problem for the Habs but paying what it would take to acquire him -- the price would be quite onerous. Not sure MB is prepared to do that.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

How would you compare Prorovov to Mete? Significant or moderate improvement?

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
How would you compare Prorovov to Mete? Significant or moderate improvement?

Significant obviously. Still not an 8-10 million D-man though, plus whatever significant piece(s) Montreal would lose in a trade.

I doubt Bergevin is all that interested in any further changes to the D though. He's go the group he wants.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't think any of the unsigned RFA's are going to go anywhere...they'll all eventually sign with their teams.

But those signings will cause ripple effects throughout the rest of their lineups and IMO, that's where Bergevin has to pounce.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I agree but 17 goals and 41 pts last years that’s really good and he prove that he can take big minutes

No it doesn't. That puts him in the same category as Ristolainen. Hell, you expect that kind of production if you give a D-man the amount and type of minutes Provorov got. Montreal had 5 D-men with better P/60 than Provorov (Petry, Weber, Benn, Kulak, Juulsen). And while Benn is gone, Juulsen's sample was not that significant and its not smart to extrapolate lesser minutes a game to more minutes a game, the fact is, Provorov production last year wasn't that impressive relative to his usage.

And looking beyond boxcar stats, he struggled defensively, offense creation and transition. I still bet he turns it around and establishes himself as a decent 1B/2 D-man (he isn't there yet), but it would be insane to either give up premium asset(s) to acquire him or make him one of the 10 highest paid D-men in the NHL. And your advocating Montreal do both.

That's the kind of move that makes the Drouin acquisition seem measured and well considered.

Reactions: BaseballCoach

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
And that’s the problem. Our left side is awful.

Its not that bad. People are really sleeping on Kulak's performance last season. If he can be 80%-90% as good with full season usage and if Mete makes even modest improvements, Montreal's left side is perfectly serviceable. Lacking star power or name recognition, but firmly in the average to perhaps a little above average category league-wide.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
No it doesn't. That puts him in the same category as Ristolainen. Hell, you expect that kind of production if you give a D-man the amount and type of minutes Provorov got. Montreal had 5 D-men with better P/60 than Provorov (Petry, Weber, Benn, Kulak, Juulsen). And while Benn is gone, Juulsen's sample was not that significant and its not smart to extrapolate lesser minutes a game to more minutes a game, the fact is, Provorov production last year wasn't that impressive relative to his usage.

And looking beyond boxcar stats, he struggled defensively, offense creation and transition. I still bet he turns it around and establishes himself as a decent 1B/2 D-man (he isn't there yet), but it would be insane to either give up premium asset(s) to acquire him or make him one of the 10 highest paid D-men in the NHL. And your advocating Montreal do both.

That's the kind of move that makes the Drouin acquisition seem measured and well considered.

8-9m won’t be on the top 10 for a longtime. And don’t forget that Provorov was stock with MacDonald for a good part of the season. Defensively he was solide last year, this season was just a bad season and he have all the tools to be an elite Defenseman. He just need coaching.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
8-9m won’t be on the top 10 for a longtime. And don’t forget that Provorov was stock with MacDonald for a good part of the season. Defensively he was solide last year, this season was just a bad season and he have all the tools to be an elite Defenseman. He just need coaching.

1) the 10th highest paid D-man at the moment is Buff at 7.6 mil AAV. Your predicting an almost unprecedented jump in D salary if you think it wont be long that 8-9 mil AAV wont be a top 10 AAV among D soon. Only two D make more than 9 right now and they were both late 20s UFAs with hall of fame resumes.

2) Honest question, did you watch Provorov last season? Because Provorov and MacDonald spent almost no time together. They played less than 100 minutes together all season. Provorov's most common D-partner was Sanheim (who is great).

3) Provorov was not solid defensively last season at all.

4) I'm not questioning his tolls, I'm concerned about his toolbox. Much like my concerns with Drouin (when people breathlessly wanted to trade for him and now). Just because a player has talent and pedigree, doesn't mean they're going to become a star player.

Reactions: Locks

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
I don't think any of the unsigned RFA's are going to go anywhere...they'll all eventually sign with their teams.

But those signings will cause ripple effects throughout the rest of their lineups and IMO, that's where Bergevin has to pounce.
ding ding ding! give the man a prize.

Reactions: JAPPO and 417
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad