Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Its not that bad. People are really sleeping on Kulak's performance last season. If he can be 80%-90% as good with full season usage and if Mete makes even modest improvements, Montreal's left side is perfectly serviceable. Lacking star power or name recognition, but firmly in the average to perhaps a little above average category league-wide.

If, if, if....

If my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle.

Kulak could be fine or could be awful. Mete has yet to score a goal and is outmuscled regularly. Please name the teams that have a worse left side on defense in the NHL. I’m genuinely interested in seeing who you think is worse than Montreal.

Reactions: Miller Time

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
If, if, if....

Kulak could be fine or could be awful. Mete has yet to score a goal and is outmuscled regularly. Please name the teams that have a worse left side on defense in the NHL. I’m genuinely interested in seeing who you think is worse than Montreal.

Off the top of my head:

Winnipeg, Vegas (if Theodore plays on the right side, which he does occasionally), Pittsburgh, Ottawa, Rangers, New Jersey, LA and Buffalo all have worse left sides

Washington, St. Louis, San Jose, Islanders, Florida and Colorado all have comparable left sides for the most part.

Kulak was legitimately a VERY strong top-4 D-man last season. Its not unrealistic to expect a 25 year old D-man coming off a strong season to not suck the next season. Mete has flaws? Shocking. He's also a strong puck mover, good passer, has excellent gap control and is only 21. He's not finished developing.

I care a lot more about impacts and results than the reputation of players. Montreal's left side D is fine. Its not great and would ideally be improved, but its definitely not horrible.

Jul 6, 2016
Anyway, he tried with Aho. Which other GM around the NHL made a n Offer sheet to anyone this Summer ?

Last edited:
Reactions: angusyoung

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Off the top of my head:

Winnipeg, Vegas (if Theodore plays on the right side, which he does occasionally), Pittsburgh, Ottawa, Rangers, New Jersey, LA and Buffalo all have worse left sides

Washington, St. Louis, San Jose, Islanders, Florida and Colorado all have comparable left sides for the most part.

Kulak was legitimately a VERY strong top-4 D-man last season. Its not unrealistic to expect a 25 year old D-man coming off a strong season to not suck the next season. Mete has flaws? Shocking. He's also a strong puck mover, good passer, has excellent gap control and is only 21. He's not finished developing.

I care a lot more about impacts and results than the reputation of players. Montreal's left side D is fine. Its not great and would ideally be improved, but its definitely not horrible.
Agreed...

I find it odd that so many are down on Mete, is it cause he hasn't scored yet?

It can't be just that...no one should be applying that amount of "score vision" when evaluating a player.

Both Mete & Kulak, while not benefiting from inflated reputations that many players have, are both players whose arrow is pointing up.

I look forward to seeing what they do this coming year.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If, if, if....

A pointless excersice bc if someone thinks Mere & Kulak are better than we've seen so far & unequivocally destined to improve (whereas all other teams will have more proven players who regress & young players that won't improve), then of course they'll start listing a bunch of teams "off the top of their head"...

I mean, obviously Mete is better than Dhalin, right? Lol....

Reactions: Beendair Donedat

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Agreed...

I find it odd that so many are down on Mete, is it cause he hasn't scored yet?

It can't be just that...no one should be applying that amount of "score vision" when evaluating a player.

Both Mete & Kulak, while not benefiting from inflated reputations that many players have, are both players whose arrow is pointing up.

I look forward to seeing what they do this coming year.

I haven't seen many posters "down on Mete"... What gives you that impression?

I have seen a lot of hyperbole about how good he was last year, and way optimistic projections about how good he's likely to be this coming year.... But that's typical hometeam bias, nothing to surprising.

Both Mete and Kulak exceeded expectations last year, giving good reason to hope for continued progression... From there to project Mete to be an amazing top pairing contributor, or Kulak to be more than a reliable bottom-3 dman, is a pretty excessive stretch.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Could be either- we’ve already broken the offer sheet “rule” so don’t see why we wouldn’t again.

I said at the time I thought it was more MB doing a favor for Rick Dudley and that we wouldn't see the Habs do another one this year. I just don't see the Habs losing their 1st round pick when they are hosting the draft. Granted I don't know the OS rules that well since I don't pay much attention to them since I didn't think we would see one again.

If it's by trade, the question is would he give up someone like Petry, Gallagher, etc.. that it would likely take in order to get such a high end young talent.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
How come no one else tried to make offer sheets , then ?

Because most of them know offer sheet is a waste of time. Because they know offer sheet rarely works. Because they know if they want to works, they have to overpaid the market value, not actual value so they have to make an offer that makes it difficult for the other team to match.

Bergevin's offer was a joke. Everybody knew it was a waste of time. Yeah, Aho's clan accepted it but it doesn't mean it was a good offer sheet to steal him from the Canes.

I like that MB attempted to steal Aho but if he wants it to wore, it should be a lot more ballsy and make an offer difficult for the Canes to match.

Reactions: the

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
What would it take to get Ehlers out of Winnipeg?

He's only 23, and his value is down because of one mediocre season where he missed 20 games. Before that he was 25-29 goal 60-64 point guy.

His trade value must not be all that high now.

Reactions: Fazkovsky

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013

He's only 23, and his value is down because of one mediocre season where he missed 20 games. Before that he was 25-29 goal 60-64 point guy.

J Drew

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

Wait at the end of 2024-25 and offer him a contract if he hits UFA.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
So if the asking price for Werenski/Provorov is a top prospect (Caufield/Suzuki/Poehling) + young NHL D (Mete) + 1st, would you do it?

Personally i prefer Werenski so i'd do Suzuki + Mete + 1st.

Last edited:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
So if the asking price for Werenski/Provorov is a top prospect (Caufield/Suzuki/Poehling) + young NHL D (Mete) + 1st, would you do it?
No why should we? We're not the ones with a deadline.

I wouldn't trade for Werenski/Provorov the same way you buy a Condo on the Island ;)

Reactions: Habs Icing

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
No why should we? We're not the ones with a deadline.

I wouldn't trade for Werenski/Provorov the same way you buy a Condo on the Island ;)

Because the biggest element this team lacks is a top pairing LD and they're both young w/ still a ton of upside (especially Werenski). Players like them arent available for trade every day and we have the assets to spare. It's not like were weakening our roster to acquire them.

Eventually you have to take a gamble if youre serious about competing for the cup. Price and Weber arent getting any younger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vachon23 and vokiel

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Because the biggest element this team lacks is a top pairing LD and they're both young w/ still a ton of upside (especially Wereski). Players like them arent available for trade every day and we have the assets to spare. It's not like were weakening our roster to acquire them.

Eventually you have to take a gamble if youre serious about competing for the cup. Price and Weber arent getting any younger.
I agree with the argument, but I'd still rather go for a better deal than an overkill one to begin. If Columbus or Philly feel they can't go forward you start lower and move higher. Caufield, Suzuki or Poehling is a very high price to pay as a starting offer.

Reactions: Habs Icing

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I would much rather move Danault over Poehling/Suzuki/Caufield

Our fwd lines could be set long term if these prospects pan out, no need to move one for a dman imo.

I’d quite happily role with Domi/KK as top two and experiment with Poehling/Suzuki or get a 3C included in a Danault-Mete deal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad