Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It really isn't a bad contract imo. It's a slight overpayment, but not bad at all. I'm curious to see what they will do with their defense for next year, because besides Rielly, everyone needs a contract. Have to assume that Nylander is gone by the start of next year.
Agreed. Marner's contract is high but not terrible; the problem is having three forwards gorging on a huge chunk of the Leafs' cap. Top end talent is great, but having it all clustered together makes a team brittle and leaves you with an imbalance throughout the lineup. Their D is okay, but like you said, all of them except Rielly need new contracts after this season. More than 'win-now', the Leafs are in 'win-right-now' mode.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Agreed. Marner's contract is high but not terrible; the problem is having three forwards gorging on a huge chunk of the Leafs' cap. Top end talent is great, but having it all clustered together makes a team brittle and leaves you with an imbalance throughout the lineup. Their D is okay, but like you said, all of them except Rielly need new contracts after this season. More than 'win-now', the Leafs are in 'win-right-now' mode.

As opposed to having 28.4M into Drouin, Ahlzner, Weber and Price -- three of which are aged 30 plus.

Who would you rather have -- the Leafs's three forwards or the above?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
As opposed to having 28.4M into Drouin, Ahlzner, Weber and Price -- three of which are aged 30 plus.

Not a fair equivalent if you include Alzner. The question is how to balance a budget when building a contender. Toronto's trying to claw their way into that territory right now with zero room for mistakes. If they blow another season they'll have to reboot practically their entire D.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Not a fair equivalent if you include Alzner. The question is how to balance a budget when building a contender. Toronto's trying to claw their way into that territory right now with zero room for mistakes. If they blow another season they'll have to reboot practically their entire D.

Their best prospect are on D.
With Sandin and Liljegren…..they will still have Dermott and Rielly.
They only have to manage to trade Nylander and they should be fine to fix all the other parts.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Their best prospect are on D.
With Sandin and Liljegren…..they will still have Dermott and Rielly.
They only have to manage to trade Nylander and they should be fine to fix all the other parts.
Dermott also has to be re-signed next summer. And yeah, next year they'll lose Nylander plus probably another good forward, after just losing Kadri this summer. They've put themselves in the position of hollowing out their roster to maintain their three $11M players. While it's great to have three top-end talents up front, they continue to weaken their foundation everywhere else.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
While over 90% of the population is right handed, between 60 and 70% of hockey players are left handed. And since D candidates are slotted by handedness, there are less players available to play on the right. Hence RHDs are more scarce.
It's funny. Most righties play left in hockey an most lefties shoot right. I guess I'm odd since I shoot and write right.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Dermott also has to be re-signed next summer. And yeah, next year they'll lose Nylander plus probably another good forward, after just losing Kadri this summer. They've put themselves in the position of hollowing out their roster to maintain their three $11M players. While it's great to have three top-end talents up front, they continue to weaken their foundation everywhere else.
Dermott, Muzzin, and Barrie need to be resigned They need to make some moves. Visualizing LTIR

Dubas sucks at negotiating and has no foresight. He's been taken for a ride 4 times lol.

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Dermott, Muzzin, and Barrie need to be resigned. Players coming off the LTIR won't really make a difference as they aren't actually counting towards the cap. They need to make some moves.

Dubas sucks at negotiating and has no foresight. He's been taken for a ride 4 times lol.

Yet Bergevin told Markov and Radulov to go buy dogs during negotiations.

We’ll see how good he is when Domi re-signs

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

It's really about total dollars expended. It's one thing to say they're overpaying for 3 players ($33M) but when you look at how our GM has chosen to tie up 28.4M, we frankly have no lessons to give. I'd much rather have their forwards and their situation than what we're rostering. We have no one close to Matthews, Tavares and Marner.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Yet they manage to be better than the Habs at every position except goaltender despites having those 3 under the cap.

It's like at the beginning of this summer, every one thought they would have to trade half their team to make it work and the defense would be terrible….yet, they traded practically only Kadri and manage to get better on D while doing so.

Dubas will have to do some backflips to make it work in the future, but that's what he did this summer and franckly, i hate the Leafs but i'm still impress of what Dubas manage to do this summer.

Still a lot better than Bergevin that lost valuable player cause of 1M too much for the taste of our GM.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

Salaries & the Cap really force GM's to work the end game based on all players salaries, Price's $15,000,000 this season pushes Weber's $6,000,000 & Drouin's $5,500,000 into a different perspective. Their contract's are very team friendly when considering their values to the team. Price given his best season was certainly worth $15,000,000, if the Habs win the SCC this season behind Carey's goaltending, Weber's(Being Weber no injuries) & Drouin's (Having his breakout year, which I feel is impending) all Habs fans will be ecstatic. Not merely winning the SC but, what this means for the immediate future prospects of the team, possible dynasty (Weber "the Beast" mode & Price "He's Price" best goalie on the planet, see Team Canada Price.) Underestimating the value of proven winners at the highest level isn't advisable, certainly Tavares has that mantle. Matthews & Marner are great young players that certainly show great promise to reach those heights, salary comparisons should be equated with their team's performance. This is why great players are worth their salaries, they inspire great things within their teammates IMHO!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:I should add great players also create doubt in their opposition.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It's really about total dollars expended. It's one thing to say they're overpaying for 3 players ($33M) but when you look at how our GM has chosen to tie up 28.4M, we frankly have no lessons to give. I'd much rather have their forwards and their situation than what we're rostering. We have no one close to Matthews, Tavares and Marner.
I agree, I'd love to have the Leafs' forwards. However, they have no lessons to offer when it comes to acquiring them. They're more of a cautionary tale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->